Retirement Visa renewal

I went to Kap Cheong office today to renew my retirement visa. I took all the forms I had taken before including a map of where I live (200K's from KC) only to be asked why was my wife not with me, I replied that i had never been requested to bring her before, why now? the reply was the same question again and repeated 3 more times. I realised that I was not going anywhere with this.

I had also forgotten my last 90 day check in that should have been in September so the official informed me that I had to give him 5000 baht as a fine, seeing that I would have to return with my wife I declined his offer and told him I would take care of that on my return. IO have since checked the Immigration website and find that the fine is only 2000 baht!!

Can anyone kindly advise me if my Wife has to accompany me ( what if I was single?) do I need a map and is the fine 5000 baht or 2000 baht.

I have to return on the day after tomorrow or my retirement visa will expire spo any speedy advice will be most appreciated.

Thanks for reading this

Mike

once again we have someone calling an extension a visa.that is all they want[imm.officer] who might have got out of bed the wrong way,also if its retirement ex.why give him a map of where you live.

then he saw you missed your 90 day report,so you were a candidate for some t---/m----.

pay him and say your sorry as the buffalo is sick.

Thanks for your advice guys,

I have found a webpage from Thai immigration that states failure to report within 90 days carries a fine of 2000 baht, has that been fine been increased? Is there any website that clearly defines what documents and procedures you need to go through to obtain the renewal visa, or can the official ask for whatever he wants?

The normal fine for being late or not reporting is 2000 baht but they can fine you the max fine of 5000 baht.

How did the immigration officer know you are married? Were you by chance using her house book as proof of residence. That could be why the request for her presence.

Many offices will want a map to the house even for extensions based upon retirement.

Edit: From immigration act of 1979, Section 37 (5) is 90 day reporting.

'Section 76 : Any alien, alien, who fails to comply with the provisions of Section 37(2),(3),(4)or(5) shall be punished with a fine not exceeding 5,000 Baht and with and additional fine not exceeding 200 Baht for each day which passes until the law is complied with."

The normal fine for being late or not reporting is 2000 baht but they can fine you the max fine of 5000 baht.

How did the immigration officer know you are married? Were you by chance using her house book as proof of residence. That could be why the request for her presence.

Many offices will want a map to the house even for extensions based upon retirement.

'Section 76 : Any alien, alien, who fails to comply with the provisions of Section 37(2),(3),(4)or(5) shall be punished with a fine not exceeding 5,000 Baht and with and additional fine not exceeding 200 Baht for each day which passes until the law is complied with."

Maybe they want the wife to registering him as living there if he was using the house book as proof of address and she as not done that

Maybe they want the wife to registering him as living there if he was using the house book as proof of address and she as not done that

Or maybe they simply want her there if he is using her house book as his proof of address period.

There are two separate issues. First. The OP forgot a 90 day report in its entirety therefor the IO at his discretion fined him the maximum of 5000 baht. Second Kap Choeng Immigration requires proof of residency for an retirment extention and it looks like he did have his wife at the first extension using her docs so therefor he will have to have here with him every year. Also he needs to be registered as living at that address as KCI are sticklers on this.

There are two separate issues. First. The OP forgot a 90 day report in its entirety therefor the IO at his discretion fined him the maximum of 5000 baht. Second Kap Choeng Immigration requires proof of residency for an retirment extention and it looks like he did have his wife at the first extension using her docs so therefor he will have to have here with him every year. Also he needs to be registered as living at that address as KCI are sticklers on this.

By "registered as living at that address" do you mean completing forms TM30 (by wife as housemaster) and TM28(by him)? As I have read that some immigration offices are now enforcing this procedure....

Edited by mxyzptlk

Hello Everyone

Thanks for all your input, I have learnt a few things.

In the past I have been 7 times to renew my retirement visa and never had a problem, was never asked why my wife was not with me and it never took me more than 30 minutes to get things done,

I guess its pay back time!! I am going again tomorrow armed with every document i can think that they will require but feel there will be something else they will ask for.

Cynical or what?

Best wishes to all attempting the same renewal procedure

By "registered as living at that address" do you mean completing forms TM30 (by wife as housemaster) and TM28(by him)? As I have read that some immigration offices are now enforcing this procedure....

That is exactly what I'm saying as KCI is enforcing this.

That is exactly what I'm saying as KCI is enforcing this.

OK Thanks Khwaibah for the good info. I will be applying for an extension in Mid December and have never filled in a TM28 and Mrs Mxyzpltk has never filled in a TM30, so I will now be fully prepared (I hope!!) when I go there.