Nursing Homes In Thailand

egeefay

I did a search on the internet for Nursing or convalescent homes in Thailand but didn't find much.

Does anyone know if there are any nursing homes that cater to elderly foreign patients in Thailand?

Nursing homes in the United States run upwards of $3000 baht a month...and thats just for a semi private room and only custodial care. Facilities that offer Skilled Nursing care are much more expensive. It only takes a couple of years to deplete a lifetime of savings.

I'm sure $3000 a month can get you a lot more than a semi private room in a nice hospital in Bangkok

or a nursing home...if there is such a thing

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a good question, but as far as I'm aware, the answer is no.

A year or so ago I was asked to participate in some discussions with a property developer here who was considering the development of one or more nursing homes in Thailand. At the time, they said there were none at all.

After a brief, unfocused, and remarkably superficial examination of the possibility, the Thai property company dismissed the idea. They concluded that there was no market because Thais would never put their parents in nursing homes. I suggested that that might be at least a small market among foreigners, but no one else agreed.

There are quite a few nursing homes in Thailand, but not sure if they will cater for foreigners (language problem).

There are also what they call 'long-stay-accom' for over fifties, foreigners focused, but they're not cheap since they have 24 hrs nurse services. If you're really interested, I'll try to find info for you.

I did a search on the internet for Nursing or convalescent homes in Thailand but didn't find much.

Does anyone know if there are any nursing homes that cater to elderly foreign patients in Thailand?

I asked a similar question a while back on this forum but I can't find the thread.

There are a few that cater for the Japanese.

It's a business idea that I've been wondering about for a while.

Also rehab/detox centre is much needed.

Edited by Neeranam

a friend's Thai girl friend is a nurse. she and another provide 24hr care to a "senior" citizen from the states. The family found it was cheaper to rent to houses here, side by side, employ two nurses to look after the person in question. nurses stay in one house, oldy in the other and the family fly out ever other month etc for a visit.

apparently this is a lot cheaper than any level of service and care even remotely the same in the US anb that inlcudes them renting two houses, full time care and the families flights here

There are quite a few nursing homes in Thailand, but not sure if they will cater for foreigners (language problem).

There are also what they call 'long-stay-accom' for over fifties, foreigners focused, but they're not cheap since they have 24 hrs nurse services. If you're really interested, I'll try to find info for you.

Let me know if you find anything. I did a search for "Nursing homes" "Thailand" and didn't come up with a single link. Perhaps if someone can search in Thai for me they might come up with something.

If there are Nursing homes for Thais, at least I could find out what services they offer and what they charge.

Like someone has already mentioned, Thais rarely put their parents in a home, so there are only a few of them. And the majorities are for short period, says a few weeks. I don't think there is any place that you can put your folks there so long as they still live.

Actually, I'm not sure if you want a nursing home for your relatives or looking for business investments. If you want to find a place for elders, below are the links.

http://www.goldenyears.co.th/aboutus/home-eng.html

http://www.hospihouse.com/eng/project.html

for business investment

http://www.thailongstay.co.th/en/profile/c_service.php

Edited by Thai-Aust

Presumably the U.S. senior citizen would have to get a Retirement visa? I think those require an annual health certificate?

The OP mentioned nursing homes so presumably the family member is in need of something over and above "extended living". The most important considerations are the health and safety of the individual. If that can be accomplished more cost-effectively in Thailand then go for it. Without a turn-key solution it seems like it would be very challenging to manage (house rental, access to medicine, doctors, transportation, housing, nurses, supervision, meal preparation, language issues, no friends, poor climate, insurance/medicaid/medicare issuess, visa, etc.)

I'm not sure about the OP's situation but some estate planning is called for, whereby assets can be "protected", and the individual can go on Medicaire (the State pays for the nursing home). This involves a lot of planning, on the order or 39 ~ 60 months, for full asset protection.

I have (and still am), considering building a small nursing home to cater for non-Thais here in Phuket. However, I ask myself what sort of customers will I have? If they are retired sex-tourists, (or not retired), then a location close to Patong would be required, (and I can't stand the place). If however, they are non-Thais who simply want to live close to the beach and in a warm climate, with decent medical facilities at a reasonable price - then I could still be interested...

I certainly think it's a good idea - you can always book yourself into the home when you get older...

Simon

A year or so ago I was asked to participate in some discussions with a property developer here who was considering the development of one or more nursing homes in Thailand. At the time, they said there were none at all.

They concluded that there was no market because Thais would never put their parents in nursing homes. =

Things may be changing. Here's an article from the NATION entitled "Ageing populace strains families"

http://nationmultimedia.com/2006/07/15/opi...on_30008758.php

It suggests that , in the future, Thais may not be able to depend on their families for support in their golden years

Edited by egeefay

Golden Years is a good place? as I've seen on my friend's parents

Reniting a house plus hiring two three nurses to watch your elders - is very bad idea, I've heard terrible stories about it - here and Israel. I think the best solution is some sort of rented community - more than four families join together with rental and hiring routines + one good manager to look after such project.

P.S> Isn't Pattaya such a nursery already ?

I don't know if Golden Years a "good" place or not. I only know it's there. In my opinion, nothing is better than caring for your own elders yourself. In cases where special care is required, nurses and orderlies can be hired permanently or in shifts to live in your home at very reasonable rates. Not to mention this way, your folks don't can pass away among loved ones, instead of having to die among their shuffleboard and backgammon partners.

:o

Things may be changing. Here's an article from the NATION entitled "Ageing populace strains families"

http://nationmultimedia.com/2006/07/15/opi...on_30008758.php

It suggests that , in the future, Thais may not be able to depend on their families for support in their golden years

Many thanks for posting that. It was a remarkably thoughtful and well-written piece, a nice change from the predictable axes at which the Nation histerically grinds most days.

It's good to see a local newspaper spending a little ink on urging Thais to reflect rationallly and do at least a little planning for a changing future. Of course, the chances of that actually happening are effectively zero. Sadly, it's just not part of the local character.

I have some more places but you will have to find out their addresses yourself. I have asked some people and they only suggested me the names but no contact details. I'm also not sure if these places care for foreigners.

- St Loius Hospital

- Camilian Social Centre Hospital , Chantaburi and Sampraan

In my opinion, nothing is better than caring for your own elders yourself. In cases where special care is required, nurses and orderlies can be hired permanently or in shifts to live in your home at very reasonable rates. Not to mention this way, your folks don't can pass away among loved ones, instead of having to die among their shuffleboard and backgammon partners.

This would seem to be the way to go if all you needed was a "sitter" for your aging parents.

But sometimes parents may require special attention, as in the case with Alzheimer’s and dementia. Relying on people you hire in your home can leave you in a bind if they quit, show up late or call in sick.

Sometimes, I think, a nursing home setting can be a more desirable choice. I notice that "The Golden Years not only have nurses on duty round the clock, but doctors who check in daily, and it is actually a hospital too so you don't have to worry about getting your parents to hospital in case of an emergency. They also provide activities for their patients...an opportunity for the elderly to socialize with others

Most Thais would feel guilty putting their parents in a nursing home. I guess they'd feel embarrassed having to admit that their parents aren't living at home with them or they are worried that their parent's won't be well looked after in a nursing home.

I haven't visited any nursing homes in Thailand nor do I know any Thais who have used their services. But I suspect as the elderly grow as a percentage of the Thai population, more Thais will consider them.

As for westerners, I spoke to a representative from Golden Years and she told me that they've had several "farang" patients in their nursing home. I didn't get a chance to find out where they came from and how they got along.

By the way, the cost to stay at the Golden Years (including room, 3 meals a day daily doctors visits, laundry, and nursing care, assisted exercise and activities) runs between 22,000 and 37,000 baht per month

Several other posters have suggested other Nursing facilities like

-St Loius Hospital (emailed them to find out if they have a nursing home)

-Camilian Social Centre Hospital , Chantaburi and Sampraan (couldn't find any information on the web)

-Hospihouse (looks like its designed more for the elderly Japanese who are still well enough for independent living)

If anyone knows of any more nursing homes, let me know and I'll try to hunt them down

In my opinion, nothing is better than caring for your own elders yourself. In cases where special care is required, nurses and orderlies can be hired permanently or in shifts to live in your home at very reasonable rates. Not to mention this way, your folks don't can pass away among loved ones, instead of having to die among their shuffleboard and backgammon partners.

This would seem to be the way to go if all you needed was a "sitter" for your aging parents.

But sometimes parents may require special attention, as in the case with Alzheimer’s and dementia. Relying on people you hire in your home can leave you in a bind if they quit, show up late or call in sick.

Sometimes, I think, a nursing home setting can be a more desirable choice. I notice that "The Golden Years not only have nurses on duty round the clock, but doctors who check in daily, and it is actually a hospital too so you don't have to worry about getting your parents to hospital in case of an emergency. They also provide activities for their patients...an opportunity for the elderly to socialize with others

Most Thais would feel guilty putting their parents in a nursing home. I guess they'd feel embarrassed having to admit that their parents aren't living at home with them or they are worried that their parent's won't be well looked after in a nursing home.

I haven't visited any nursing homes in Thailand nor do I know any Thais who have used their services. But I suspect as the elderly grow as a percentage of the Thai population, more Thais will consider them.

As for westerners, I spoke to a representative from Golden Years and she told me that they've had several "farang" patients in their nursing home. I didn't get a chance to find out where they came from and how they got along.

By the way, the cost to stay at the Golden Years (including room, 3 meals a day daily doctors visits, laundry, and nursing care, assisted exercise and activities) runs between 22,000 and 37,000 baht per month

Several other posters have suggested other Nursing facilities like

-St Loius Hospital (emailed them to find out if they have a nursing home)

-Camilian Social Centre Hospital , Chantaburi and Sampraan (couldn't find any information on the web)

-Hospihouse (looks like its designed more for the elderly Japanese who are still well enough for independent living)

If anyone knows of any more nursing homes, let me know and I'll try to hunt them down

i believe there is one on the road from hua hin to petchaburi, on the right.

a small sign with a wheelchair .

but definately one there,somewhere

maybe a sunday afternoon drive is calling.

thirsty work though

could check out some of those new bars in cha am on the way. :D:D

I don't quite follow the "Medical Certificate" bit if you want a retirement visa.?

If you come to Thailand to retire and you are fit and get said certificate what happens as your health fails as it inevitably will....if you have to renew your visa every year (as you do + 90 day reporting) what happens when you get sick and you can't get a clean bill of health?.Do the authorities kick you out?

Cheers

TP

I don't quite follow the "Medical Certificate" bit if you want a retirement visa.?

If you come to Thailand to retire and you are fit and get said certificate what happens as your health fails as it inevitably will....if you have to renew your visa every year (as you do + 90 day reporting) what happens when you get sick and you can't get a clean bill of health?.Do the authorities kick you out?

Cheers

TP

It is about contagious disease - not normal health. From Immigration Website:

The Health Certificate must indicate that the applicant does not have the following serious conditions:

Leprosy

Turberculosis, TB

Elephantiasis, Filariasis

Drug addiction

Alcoholism

Syphilis

Of course, one's individual situation may vary. In my entire family, we've yet to come across any 'special care' needs that couldn't be taken care of with hired nurses (and around the clock care at home is probably more affordable than most folks would think) or just going to the hospital. It's not a question of embarrassment, IMO, it's just something as natural as expecting that parents should take care of a newborn baby. We have both old folks (at the moment my 93 year old grandmother is the oldest.... and she's never had to have a nurse or doctor call on her... just periodic checkups at the hospital.... says to the doctor: "How long am I going to live? Am I sick? Did you know I have 11 brothers and sisters, and they are all dead?" *followed by a hearty laugh*) and newborns around the house and property. The old folks overall, I think, are about 1/2 the trouble and require less attention.

:D

Cheers

TP

It is about contagious disease - not normal health. From Immigration Website:

The Health Certificate must indicate that the applicant does not have the following serious conditions:

Leprosy

Turberculosis, TB

Elephantiasis, Filariasis

Drug addiction

Alcoholism

Syphilis

Thanks for claryfying that Lopburi.........better start packing my bags :o

Of course, one's individual situation may vary. In my entire family, we've yet to come across any 'special care' needs that couldn't be taken care of with hired nurses (and around the clock care at home is probably more affordable than most folks would think) or just going to the hospital.

I am interested in knowing more about your situation

It sounds like your 93 year old grandmother is in good health and not in need of constant attention

You mentioned that you have hired nurses to take care of her. Are these actually registered nurses, or people you have trained to provide for her care?

What types services do your “in home “ caregiver provide?

Was it hard to find qualified reliable people to take care of your grandmother?

Do these caregivers live in your house in their own rooms or do they arrive for work and leave at night?

May I ask what one might expect to pay for a live-in nurse in Thailand?

Scandinavian Village in Bang Saen, near Chonburi, is not a nursing home per se, but more a "senior citizen's residencial complex". I do not know it well, but I do believe they have nursing facilities, and can provide assistance with many day-to-day tasks. One needs to be 55+ to stay there, and it is very expensive. Check it out

I am interested in knowing more about your situation

It sounds like your 93 year old grandmother is in good health and not in need of constant attention

You mentioned that you have hired nurses to take care of her. Are these actually registered nurses, or people you have trained to provide for her care?

What types services do your “in home “ caregiver provide?

Was it hard to find qualified reliable people to take care of your grandmother?

Do these caregivers live in your house in their own rooms or do they arrive for work and leave at night?

May I ask what one might expect to pay for a live-in nurse in Thailand?

Yes, actual registered nurses. You can get them through just about any hospital because outside work pays better. Ours are from Phra Mongkut Hospital (the government and army hospital). She doesn't require live in help, so no we don't have any living with us. Although we have had some over for when she was ill, just for simple colds and pneumonia (once, which is about as sick as she's ever gotten). Also on the few occasions that we've had surgeries in the family, we've also had help over. Orderies (generally there to monitor, bathe, and take care of basic needs like helping the patient go to the restroom) are 500 Baht per shift, nurses (doing... well, what nurses do; generally we keep these just a few days extra after hospital release for precautionary measures) are 1200 per shift. One shift is 6 hours. Quite reasonable. Your results may vary.

IMO, 'special care requirements' are just sometimes excuses to get older folks out of the house. An example comes to mind... not in our family, but in a family close to ours. The patriarch has been unable to speak for roughly 11 years and cannot walk, cannot feed himself, etc. He can move his arms a bit, and smile and watch his grandkids, but he's effectively paralyzed. No issues at all with him living at home among loved ones, and I'd dare say he's worse off (physically) than most folks I see in retirement homes stateside -given, I only have seen them from a distance in the front yard of a local home I know.... but they certainly look fine to me-.

One thing is for sure, Thais living in America don't have maids and nurses taking care of their elders. There is quite a difference from Thailand to the US. It's true that Americans, free from their roots abroad, do generally prefer to put their grannies in nursing homes more than Thais do but you have to look at the costs of having someone visiting daily in the US.

Most Americans are quite independent. They stay that way all their lives, so as they reach the final years many prefer to remain independent. Americans have small families and so the responsibility put on the children financially can be great. Many children can't stop work to take care of their elders and at the same time in fact they must work harder just to pay bills. To pay for their parents nursing home they need time to work. If a child can get away with a nurse visiting their parent a couple times a week at home they would.

Thai parents live with their kids all their lives whereas most America parents seperate from their children shortly after they graduate from high school and live independently from their children for their entire lives. To suddenly get back together at the end of it all often isn't wanted by one or both parties.

Some people like to push the notion that westerners don't care about their parents and personally I think this is bull. It's easy to say that you sincerely take care of your kids and grandparents when in fact you have a 75 dollar a month maid looking after them more of the time than you do.

Not pushing any notions at all. Not being able to afford to care for one's parents or children and not wanting (by any or all parties involved) to care for one's parents or children are two different things.

At the same time, it seems like some folks like to push the notion that no older Americans want to spend more time with their families and are just itchin' to be carted off to the old folks home. As with most generalizations this one isn't entirely true either.

p.s. I should add that "care" itself varies. There are plenty of older Thai folks that like to be alone. Care often then takes the form of visiting or calling often, or just taking care of the little things that older folks seem to become less adept at without being too hands on.

Edited by Heng

Orderies (generally there to monitor, bathe, and take care of basic needs like helping the patient go to the restroom) are 500 Baht per shift, nurses One shift is 6 hours. Quite reasonable.

Heng...Do you have someone watching your grandmother when you are away at work?

I assume you are away from the house for maybe 10 hours a day so that's about 4000 baht a week for an orderly.

In addition, Do you need a nurse during the week to administer medication or provide any nursing care.

I am trying to gauge how much it would cost to keep someone who need full time care at home...as opposed to using the services of a nursing home

Orderies (generally there to monitor, bathe, and take care of basic needs like helping the patient go to the restroom) are 500 Baht per shift, nurses One shift is 6 hours. Quite reasonable.

Heng...Do you have someone watching your grandmother when you are away at work?

I assume you are away from the house for maybe 10 hours a day so that's about 4000 baht a week for an orderly.

In addition, Do you need a nurse during the week to administer medication or provide any nursing care.

I am trying to gauge how much it would cost to keep someone who need full time care at home...as opposed to using the services of a nursing home

Well, I work at home. I'm away from home 2-3 days a week, sometimes I stay home all week, it just depends. As mentioned, she doesn't need full time or even part time care (except when she's ill, which isn't often), other than our own family members + regular household staff. We've employed a nurse and orderly before (usually not at the same time), my point was that they are available and the costs are reasonable.

My parents and my grandparents live in a separate house on the same property, so I'm not really taking care of my grandmother directly (except perhaps during meals), other than contributing to the main family fund. I have a maid and my folks have a maid, who are both more like family members (well, more like distant cousins perhaps), and they also help keep an eye on the elders. When my grandparents pass away, I'll probably move to their house, and stay with my folks (if they want). It's only about 50 meters away, so it shouldn't be too much of a hassle. As you can see it's kind of a natural cycle.

For costs, I think either way could be more expensive depending on how much you want to put into it. My point, at least for myself, is that it's not a cost issue.

• 3 months later...

I started this topic on "nursing homes in Thailand" a few months ago and now we are seriously starting to look for a nursing home to take care of my ailing mother in law.

She's gotten to the point where she can no longer move much at all and has to be helped to a sitting position just to be fed.

The family is really stressed because she needs care even at night for diaper changing and the grandkids or the daughter has to get up to care for her.

To add to the stress, two of the daughters are about to go abroad for work and study and one of them is getting married.

At first the daughter resisted the idea of a nursing home and opted to find a live in caretaker. But now the caretaker can't even handle the heavy lifting involved.

If anyone has any suggestions for some good nursing homes that we can visit please post them here.

I've got a short list of some of the suggestions already made but when we go to Thailand next week we want to do a tour of as many as we can find so we can select the right one.

From talking to friends they say that good nursing homes in Bangkok are not easy to find...and usually have a long waiting list.

Help!