Denied tourist visa at Singapore - what a joke!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So whatever....clear in Koh Samui on Saturday and get another 30 days.....maybe another education visa for a year after that until my company starts up boat charters.

So one more year edu visas and then a company. Another illegal immigrant in the Land of Smiles. Hopefully the immig in Samui kick you back in the sea and you can try your luck in Langkawi also they want a Yacht and not some sailing boat.

• Like 2

nah, posting on here was a bigger waste of time LOL

Thought you didn't like 'lols'? lol

Op, while I can understand the rhetoric to a degree (the whole immigration thing, having to answer questions for years on end etc), it really does pay to just play their game and suck it up. No need to bend over, but just smile a bit on the outside and try to keep any sarcasm or snarkiness in check. Things tend to move along a bit better then.

Edited by daveAustin
  • Like 2

OP how dare the the natives at the Thai embassy in Sing turn your visa application down, don't they realise your a great white bwana, and they should kowtow down in your presence, you should contact London immediately and request the RN send a gun boat or two to sort out the natives in their former colony

Is he British???

Please no.

• Like 2

Would this be the most universally disliked posts on TV. Must be a troll....no one is that much of a moron. Hope your business never gets off ground.

Also I have always had a mental note re people and their money claims......bit same as sex....

The people that actually have it never talk about it.

• Like 1

I think most of you are missing the point. Regardless of the OP's 'slightly off' attitude there is not meant to be any 'crackdown' on tourism. This is going to annoy some people in the TAT.

What are they trying to do ? What are they cracking down on, tourism ? Are they trying to reduce the revenue generated by each Embassy ? I've read similar reports from other Embassies, some as far away as Europe.

It defies logic.

Are there too many tourists for Thailand to handle so they've started turning people away by refusing to sell the entrance tickets ?

If the arrival numbers go real low this year (which they already have) then when they do return to normal someone will be claiming to have turned the tourism industry around. Who will it be and who stands to gain from this scenario I wonder.

Because the OP is clearly NOT a tourist. He is milking the system.

• Like 1

I think most of you are missing the point. Regardless of the OP's 'slightly off' attitude there is not meant to be any 'crackdown' on tourism. This is going to annoy some people in the TAT.

What are they trying to do ? What are they cracking down on, tourism ? Are they trying to reduce the revenue generated by each Embassy ? I've read similar reports from other Embassies, some as far away as Europe.

It defies logic.

Are there too many tourists for Thailand to handle so they've started turning people away by refusing to sell the entrance tickets ?

If the arrival numbers go real low this year (which they already have) then when they do return to normal someone will be claiming to have turned the tourism industry around. Who will it be and who stands to gain from this scenario I wonder.

Because the OP is clearly NOT a tourist. He is milking the system.

There is no crackdown so there can be no milking the system. Everthing changed when the head of immigration who was planning these 'crackdowns' was fired days after the coup.

The crackdowns were all about visa exempt entries.

Now we are seeing increasing reports about 'too many tourist visas' from various embassies - there's no such thing as too many tourist visas unless there's a new and unannounced active crackdown in place right now.

Which is it - crackdown or not ? I've read no official announcements so I can only assume they're already doing this 'on the sly' without announcing it.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1

ukrules, I'm not going to get into a quoting war with you, but you and I seem to have a different understanding of the 'crackdown' - numerous threads in this forum discussing the various phases but this is my understanding -

- the civilian government initiated it to target overstayers and those who were exploiting the visa exemptions, particularly illegal workers from Russia, VN and South Korea.

- the military continued the push and we were told that it would be implemented in early August, but overly zealous Immigration Officers and Consulate staff quickly made it apparent that they intended to please their new masters in Bangkok by enforcing the rules as they saw fit. People were left stranded at land crossings and - a few weeks later - turned away at the airports.

The net result was that anyone with 'too many stamps' or 'too many Tourist Visas' ran the risk of being denied a tourist visa - no shortage of threads on that one - or granted a visa only to be denied entry at a border. This was particularly bad at the southern land crossings from Malaysia where it seems that IOs expected a 500-baht note to be inserted into any passports they deigned to open. They had the power and they weren't going to pass up a golden opportunity.

The Ed visa crackdown has been extensively discussed here and - FWIR - it has been considerably tougher to get a new Ed visa in the wake of the crackdown. This has absolutely nothing to do with tourism and it's a dead horse flogged far too many times so I'll leave it there - suffice it to say that the same people who are given summary power over who can and cant stay in Thailand for more than 30 days oversee that process.

While there has been no shortage of complaints from English speakers here on TV, the missing piece of the puzzle for me has been the impact on Thailand's near neighbours and largest tourist markets - while it's unlikely that tour groups from China are filled with people who visit Thailand several times a year, I doubt that we'll ever see any stats on the number of Chinese turned around at the airports.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand#Top_20_arrivals_by_nationality

In the OP's case, he chose a Consulate which was notorious for rejecting applications for tourist visas before the current crackdown - from memory, they still had the outdated 90-day rule on their website. Penang may have been an entirely different story, but with a winning personality like that I'd recommend one of the many 'agents' on the island - they employ people to smile on your behalf.

There are several places in SEA that I wouldnt bother applying for a tourist visa, but KL and Sillypore are at the top of that list. Fortunately, that's no longer an issue, but I dont take any liaison with Immigration lightly.

The net result was that anyone with 'too many stamps' or 'too many Tourist Visas' ran the risk of being denied a tourist visa - no shortage of threads on that one - or granted a visa only to be denied entry at a border. This was particularly bad at the southern land crossings from Malaysia where it seems that IOs expected a 500-baht note to be inserted into any passports they deigned to open. They had the power and they weren't going to pass up a golden opportunity.

The only problem as I see it is that any crackdown is only meant to be on Visa Exempt arrivals but it's turning out that this is not the case. The reason I'm currently pointing this out is that I have long suspected tourist visas will also be affected by this 'non crackdown' and this now appears to be showing up.

Someone somewhere has decided to prevent tourist visas being issued at various Embassies around the world by apparently implementing unknown limits on recent visits.

To me it looks like a new crackdown by stealth. They're doing it but didn't let anyone know about it. It's very underhand.