Thai maths whizzes win 19 gold medals in India

webfact

As an amateur philosopher I've pondered that aspects humanity are not on a continuum but very distinctly stratified.

I draw much of this from TV posts.

I'm not sure about that.

A relevant example might be delusions of racial or ethnic superiority. Superficially, we might think that people are either afflicted with them or not.

But there is a continuum involved: people hold with these types of views to various degrees, some quite extreme, while the wiser amongst us might have been able to just about move on from them all together.

So the more I refrain from posting, the wiser I appear...thumbsup.gif

...but if I refrain, then you wouldn't know about my apparent sagacity...w00t.gif

a paradox for sure, wonder if there is an equation to define this self-defeating conundrum blink.png

Edited by klauskunkel

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Countries competing in the WIZMIC 'international' competition;

1. Bangladesh

2. Bulgaria

3. India

4. Indonesia

5. Iran

6. Nepal

7. Philippines

8. South Africa

9. Sri Lanka

10. Taiwan

11. Thailand

12. Zimbabwe

No developed countries then.

No, but there are many brilliant Indians. The fact that they could win against the Indians is a real accomplishment. I think many Indians are even smarter than many Chinese. The Chinese may be more cunning and more clever in business. But, many Indians are very sharp. Indians make a real mark on the world stage.

Yeah..there are a few brilliant Indians in a country of 1+ billion.coffee1.gif

A few? They have one of the most fertile genetic brain stocks of any country on earth. The richness of their intellects cannot be over stated. I would like to see you go up against the average Indian, who was educated, and spoke good english, head to head in an intellectual competition. Any of us for that matter. Do not underestimate the Indian people. I have lived and worked there, and they are impressive.

1. Bangladesh

2. Bulgaria

3. India

4. Indonesia

5. Iran

6. Nepal

7. Philippines

8. South Africa

9. Sri Lanka

10. Taiwan

11. Thailand

12. Zimbabwe

Not in your list, anyway (apart from South Africa), but that wouldn't suit your agenda, would it? You forgot about the UK and France.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

1. Bangladesh

2. Bulgaria

3. India

4. Indonesia

5. Iran

6. Nepal

7. Philippines

8. South Africa

9. Sri Lanka

10. Taiwan

11. Thailand

12. Zimbabwe

WIZMIC is not the only math olympiad that Thailand students were competitors. There seems to be as many math olympiads as there are countries that will sponsor math competition. And contestants are usually from an educational school segment such as Elementary, Primary and High School. The WIZMIC was for primary students.

For example:

In July 2014 there was the Korea International Mathematics Competitions (KIMC) for elementary school level and also the Invitational World Youth Mathematics Inter-cities Competition (IWYMIC) for high school level with a total 31 countries participating: Australia, Brunei, Bulgaria, Canada, China, Cyprus, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Iran, Japan, Kazakhstan, Macau, Malaysia, Mexico, Mongolia, Nepal, Netherland, Nigeria, Philippines, Romania, Russia, Singapore, South Africa, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand, Uzbekistan, Vietnam and Zimbabwe.

In Singapore, there was the 2014 International Mathematics Contest (SIMC) involving 11 countries: China, Philippine, Malaysia, Taiwan, Indonesia, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand, Iran, Myanmar, and India.

In China there was the 11th China Southeast Mathematical Olympiad (CSMO) involving 12 countries: the Philippines, China, Hong Kong, Macau, India, Indonesia, Kazakhstan, Malaysia, Mongolia, Singapore, Thailand and the US.

Thailand students did not place consistently as high as they did in WIZMIC.

Why is it whenever I go into a mom and pop store they look at me like Steven Hawking for giving them the correct money, before they have even finished messing around with the calculator then?

Must be a huge drop between these cleaver kids and the average Thai child........

Or giving them the extra baht with your note, so that you make changing it easy for them?

• Like 1

1. Bangladesh

2. Bulgaria

3. India

4. Indonesia

5. Iran

6. Nepal

7. Philippines

8. South Africa

9. Sri Lanka

10. Taiwan

11. Thailand

12. Zimbabwe

You accidentally left out France and the UK.

I understood him to mean that France and the UK were not developed.

Most Asians, at least in Primary, learn arithmetic by the Vedic method. It seems impressive at first but is nothing more than a series of magic tricks learnt by rote memorisation. They can take nothing from it forward to algebra, such as multiplication as addition, associative or distributive laws etc. That's why most Thai mattayom students can't do basic algebra!

These competitions are the same in that they comprise questions for which the method is practiced parrot-fashion. The questions may again look impressive but they all involve a series of steps to get the answer if you don't understand what you're trying to do; rote memorised daily over a period of months.

Sorry I think you a stoopid fellow.

WIZMIC 2009

1. In a math contest with three problems, problem A was attempted by 67 pupils; problem B by 46 pupils and problem C by 40 pupils, 28 pupils attempted problem A and B ; 8 attempted problem B and C ; 26 attempted problem A and C and 1 attempted all problems. Find the number of pupils who attempted only problem C.

2. Two dials O and P have pointers that start together from the vertical position. Pointer O rotates counterclockwise at rate of 5 degrees per second and pointer P rotate clockwise at rate 9 degrees per second. How many complete revolutions will P have made when O completes 135 complete revolutions?

3. There are 2009 students from a long line. The first student call out the number 1. Each other student in turn call out a number according to the following rules ; “If the preceding student calls out a one-digit number, this student call out the sum of that one-digit number and 7. If the preceding student calls out a two–digit number, this student calls out the sum of the units’ digit of that two-digit number and 4” What number does the last student call out?

4. In an examination of 60 questions, the final score is calculated by subtracting twice the number of wrong answers from the total number of correct answers. If a player attempted all questions and received a final score of 48, How many wrong answers did he give?

5. The perimeter of the geometric figure below is 304 cm. Find its area, in cm^2

6. Six cubes, each having 5 cm long edge, are fastened together, as shown. Find the total surface area, in cm^2, including the top, bottom and sides.

7. Find the value of A*B*C*D in the alphametics puzzle: ABCD*9 = DCBA such that different letters represent different digits.

8. Two boxes contain balls. In the first box there are only black balls, in the second box there are only white balls, so that the number of the black balls equals 15/17 of the white balls. If we take out 3/7 of the black balls and 2/5 from the white balls, then the number of balls remaining in the first box becomes less than 1000, and the number of the balls remaining in the second box becomes more than 1000. How many black balls were there in the first box at the start?

9. Using the digits 1,2 and 3 to form all the possible four digit numbers. For example; 2311 and 1113 are two of them. How many of these numbers are divisible by 3?

10. In the diagram if angle BIG = 100 ; find the measure of angle A+B+C+D+E+F+G+H, in degree.

11. Find the smallest positive number 2a_1 a_2…….a_n such that a_1 a_2…….a_n 2 = 3*2a_1 a_2…….a_n

12. ABCD is a rectangle, the point M is a midpoint of BC, and K belongs to the side DC so that area of triangle AKD is one half the area of triangle AMK. Find the ratio DK : DC

13 A positive integer n is said to be decreasing if, by reversing the digits of n, we get an integer smaller than n. For example, 9002 is decreasing because, by reversing the digits of 9002, we get 2009, which is smaller than 9002. How many four-digit positive integer are decreasing?

14. Each side of a triangle ABC is tended as shown on figure such that BK = 1/3AB, CL = 1/4BC, AM + 1/5CA The area of the triangle LKM is 357 cm^2. What is the area of the triangle ABC in cm^2?

15. Using the digits 1 to 9 once each, nine-digit numbers are formed, such as no digit is immediately between two larger digits. How many of such nine-digit numbers are there?

Would it kill you guys to look at this little story and feel good for the students who did so well, representing their schools and their country? No, you have to crap all over it, say it means nothing, and blah blah blah. Are any of you distinguished enough in any way, that gives you the moral authority to disparage these kids? Have another Leo, and give your Nobel laureate brains a rest.

Well done, students. Best of luck to you all. We are proud of you.

Indeed, well said and well done kids! Maths isn't fashionable these days and good on those having a go.

I seriously applaud the achievements of the winners. Excellence in maths/physics in Asia is frequently held up to compare the flagging results of USA.

The sad thing is , that however high the ratings of scholastic achievement in Asia, what appears to be a lack of imagination prevents them from

inventing/creating anything significant.

Whenever there is a scientific/medical breakthrough e.g. yesterday's announcement of a spinal chord repair was a Polish/British achievement.(using olfactory nose cells)

I would change places if I were Apple's 84 million dollar (this years bonus/salary) CEO with any of these guys.

This is not a racist thing, but the few Chinese Nobel prize winners were born in China but resident in US

The Japanese are the exception.

Greatest number of Nobel Prizes..try wiki, u won't be surprised.

I'm a prize winner at guessing people's education level. I'd say yours is sub college.

Most people who go on about nationalities being bright or creative or intelligent or well educated rarely have an education themselves.

Well done kids and I hope the people with the B.A.R. degrees don't get them down.

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

Most Asians, at least in Primary, learn arithmetic by the Vedic method. It seems impressive at first but is nothing more than a series of magic tricks learnt by rote memorisation. They can take nothing from it forward to algebra, such as multiplication as addition, associative or distributive laws etc. That's why most Thai mattayom students can't do basic algebra!

These competitions are the same in that they comprise questions for which the method is practiced parrot-fashion. The questions may again look impressive but they all involve a series of steps to get the answer if you don't understand what you're trying to do; rote memorised daily over a period of months.

WIZMIC 2009

1. In a math contest with three problems, problem A was attempted by 67 pupils; problem B by 46 pupils and problem C by 40 pupils, 28 pupils attempted problem A and B ; 8 attempted problem B and C ; 26 attempted problem A and C and 1 attempted all problems. Find the number of pupils who attempted only problem C.

2. Two dials O and P have pointers that start together from the vertical position. Pointer O rotates counterclockwise at rate of 5 degrees per second and pointer P rotate clockwise at rate 9 degrees per second. How many complete revolutions will P have made when O completes 135 complete revolutions?

3. There are 2009 students from a long line. The first student call out the number 1. Each other student in turn call out a number according to the following rules ; “If the preceding student calls out a one-digit number, this student call out the sum of that one-digit number and 7. If the preceding student calls out a two–digit number, this student calls out the sum of the units’ digit of that two-digit number and 4” What number does the last student call out?

4. In an examination of 60 questions, the final score is calculated by subtracting twice the number of wrong answers from the total number of correct answers. If a player attempted all questions and received a final score of 48, How many wrong answers did he give?

5. The perimeter of the geometric figure below is 304 cm. Find its area, in cm^2

6. Six cubes, each having 5 cm long edge, are fastened together, as shown. Find the total surface area, in cm^2, including the top, bottom and sides.

7. Find the value of A*B*C*D in the alphametics puzzle: ABCD*9 = DCBA such that different letters represent different digits.

8. Two boxes contain balls. In the first box there are only black balls, in the second box there are only white balls, so that the number of the black balls equals 15/17 of the white balls. If we take out 3/7 of the black balls and 2/5 from the white balls, then the number of balls remaining in the first box becomes less than 1000, and the number of the balls remaining in the second box becomes more than 1000. How many black balls were there in the first box at the start?

9. Using the digits 1,2 and 3 to form all the possible four digit numbers. For example; 2311 and 1113 are two of them. How many of these numbers are divisible by 3?

10. In the diagram if angle BIG = 100 ; find the measure of angle A+B+C+D+E+F+G+H, in degree.

11. Find the smallest positive number 2a_1 a_2…….a_n such that a_1 a_2…….a_n 2 = 3*2a_1 a_2…….a_n

12. ABCD is a rectangle, the point M is a midpoint of BC, and K belongs to the side DC so that area of triangle AKD is one half the area of triangle AMK. Find the ratio DK : DC

13 A positive integer n is said to be decreasing if, by reversing the digits of n, we get an integer smaller than n. For example, 9002 is decreasing because, by reversing the digits of 9002, we get 2009, which is smaller than 9002. How many four-digit positive integer are decreasing?

14. Each side of a triangle ABC is tended as shown on figure such that BK = 1/3AB, CL = 1/4BC, AM + 1/5CA The area of the triangle LKM is 357 cm^2. What is the area of the triangle ABC in cm^2?

15. Using the digits 1 to 9 once each, nine-digit numbers are formed, such as no digit is immediately between two larger digits. How many of such nine-digit numbers are there?

Senior primary students (year 5-6) who can do those questions are operation several years about their grade level. Most of those questions involve high school mathematics or higher order thinking skills.

From your link,

The teams from Thailand and Indonesia topped this year’s Wizmic with 16 and 13 gold medals, respectively, according to Dr. Simon Chua, president of the non-government Mathematics Trainers’ Guild-Phils. (MTG) and head of the Philippine math delegation.

So?

1. Bangladesh

2. Bulgaria

3. India

4. Indonesia

5. Iran

6. Nepal

7. Philippines

8. South Africa

9. Sri Lanka

10. Taiwan

11. Thailand

12. Zimbabwe

The Taiwanese are no slouches and India has a staggering Mathematical legacy and tradition. I'm slightly surprised that these two didn't win.

Edited by Trembly

1. Bangladesh

2. Bulgaria

3. India

4. Indonesia

5. Iran

6. Nepal

7. Philippines

8. South Africa

9. Sri Lanka

10. Taiwan

11. Thailand

12. Zimbabwe

Not in your list, anyway (apart from South Africa), but that wouldn't suit your agenda, would it? You forgot about the UK and France.

Out of the hundreds of thai news articles revealed by a Google search I challenge you to find just one from the French or British press showing that UK or French students attended, if you can, I'll admit that I'm wrong & so is the WIZNIC official website. http://www.cmseducation.org/wizmic/participating_list.htm

Agenda? Yes, to point out a flaw in the newspapers reporting, not the agenda that you may be suggesting.

1. Bangladesh

2. Bulgaria

3. India

4. Indonesia

5. Iran

6. Nepal

7. Philippines

8. South Africa

9. Sri Lanka

10. Taiwan

11. Thailand

12. Zimbabwe

The Taiwanese are no slouches and India has a staggering Mathematical legacy and tradition. I'm slightly surprised that these two didn't win.

You left out the UK and France. The competition featured 172 students from nine countries - France, the United Kingdom, Nepal, Indonesia, the Philippines, South Africa, India, Sri Lanka and Thailand.

1. Bangladesh

2. Bulgaria

3. India

4. Indonesia

5. Iran

6. Nepal

7. Philippines

8. South Africa

9. Sri Lanka

10. Taiwan

11. Thailand

12. Zimbabwe

You left out the UK and France. The competition featured 172 students from nine countries - France, the United Kingdom, Nepal, Indonesia, the Philippines, South Africa, India, Sri Lanka and Thailand.

If you choose to believe the article in The Nation above Google & the official WIZMIC website then I suppose I'd have to say... Up to you. Propaganda IS effective... who'd have thought it.

Show me a British article that tells you that the UK attended or were due to attend.

If you choose to believe the article in The Nation above Google & the official WIZMIC website then I suppose I'd have to say... Up to you. Propaganda IS effective... who'd have thought it.

Show me a British article that tells you that the UK attended or were due to attend.

The burden of proof argument. It is incumbent on you to disprove the claim. The article has appeared in numerous media sources from many countries. It is up to you to disprove it not me to prove it. Mainstream media does depending on the support of the British Empire for confirmation any more.

The burden of proof argument. It is incumbent on you to disprove the claim. The article has appeared in numerous media sources from many countries. It is up to you to disprove it not me to prove it. Mainstream media does depending on the support of the British Empire for confirmation any more.

Ok so you can't. That's fine, that's all you had to say.

You are contending a news story that has appeared all over the world. Why would I have to prove the story uneducated person like yourself? I don't like to play the education card but anyone with even a basic understanding of logic would understand the, "Burden of proof argument" as it applies to international media. British media has for years had a less than stellar reputation anyway and I would not rely on it for accurate reporting. Don't try and dumb down the forum with your Thai Bashing prejudice.

I realize you are trying to start arguments or upset people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion. However all Thai media is not propaganda just because you say it is.

Edited by thailiketoo

The burden of proof argument.

It is incumbent on you to disprove the claim. The article has appeared in numerous media sources from many countries. It is up to you to disprove it not me to prove it. Mainstream media does depending on the support of the British Empire for confirmation any more.

You are contending a news story that has appeared all over the world. Why would I have to prove the story uneducated person like yourself? I don't like to play the education card but anyone with even a basic understanding of logic would understand the, "Burden of proof argument" as it applies to international media. British media has for years had a less than stellar reputation anyway and I would not rely on it for accurate reporting. Don't try and dumb down the forum with your Thai Bashing prejudice.

You already said you can't do it once... You certainly don't have to do it twice.

I saw that clip yesterday on the news. Not trying to pour cold water on it but he's supporting himself in a frame with straps and it looks a long way from walking or if he has any control over his legs at all.

You saw the picture and thought it was no big deal. Get someone to read the article to you if you have more than 20 second attention span.

I despair at the shallowness frequently displayed here.

The burden of proof argument.

It is incumbent on you to disprove the claim. The article has appeared in numerous media sources from many countries. It is up to you to disprove it not me to prove it. Mainstream media does depending on the support of the British Empire for confirmation any more.

You already said you can't do it once... You certainly don't have to do it twice.

If the story is not factual provide some proof. The burden of proof is on you not mainstream media.

WIZMIC 2009

Senior primary students (year 5-6) who can do those questions are operation several years about their grade level. Most of those questions involve high school mathematics or higher order thinking skills.

Right some of these questions require algebra that is above primary level. Problem # 4 for example:

Let x = number of wrong answers.

Let (60 - x) = number of correct answers.

So (60-x) - 2x = 48

-3x = -12

x = 4 wrong answers

Check 56 - 8 = 48

Edited by morrobay

Academic excellence in Mathematics or Physics on it's own doesn't mean anything & doesn't necessarily translate to excellence in innovation.

True innovation comes from a natural curiosity, the ability to question, challenge the status quo & think outside the box.