Europeans not revise planned visits to Thailand despite Koh Tao murders: Survey

webfact

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clearly bluespunk hasnt followed all the news and seen what the general said previously.

Clearly you know nothing about me or what news I follow.

I know what the PM said and his other PR blunders.

I also know they have very little to do with why tourists may be thinking twice about visiting Thailand compared to the handling of the murders on KT.

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1

The reason people are still coming right now has nothing to do with tourist confidence in Thailand - it's because they will have booked these holidays way in advance many, many months ago, some of them will have booked last year as soon as the flight schedules became available.

To cancel a long haul flight or package holiday merely due to personal preference (safety) normally means you will get no refund at all unless you had a flexible ticket - most tourists will not have any kind of flexibility regarding cancelling their tickets unless the government prohibits all but absolutely necessary travel. So if they cancel they lose the money they paid for their holiday.

This is why nobody cancels.

What they should be looking for is to see how many people are rushing to book holidays for next year, that will be the true test.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1

European tourists still like to visit Thailand despite of the British tourist murders in Koh Tao

10-22-2014-10-27-42-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The murder of two British backpackers in Koh Tao has no impact on decision making of European tourists as most of them still do not change their minds and will continue to visit Thailand.

Over 80 percent of them said they still like Thailand despite of the recent development, according to the New York-based consumer research firm Envirosell.

The US-based research firm conducted a survey of European tourists’ opinions about visits to Thailand, during October 13 and 16.

A total of 1,835 would-be visitors to Thailand were surveyed.

They are broken down to 618 British and the remaining 1,217 are from eight other countries in Europe.

More than half or 61 percent of the respondents said they would not reconsider their planned visits to Thailand whereas the remaining 39 percent indicated they might review their plan, depending on the developments of the murder case on Koh Tao.

Besides, 74 percent of the tourists did not doubt the investigation into the murders, while 26% cast doubts about the case because they had heard about lack of transparency in the investigation from the media.

However 85 percent of respondents said they still liked Thailand despite recent developments.

Asked what improvements they would like to see most, the respondents indicated they wanted to see improved tourist safety and more assistance centers for tourists, harsher penalties for exploiters of tourists, and better regulation of tours and taxis.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/european-tourists-still-like-visit-thailand-despite-british-tourist-murders-koh-tao/

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2014-10-22

Have they really considered what it means to have 40% of high value tourists who intend to travel to Thailand reconsidering their travel plans?

If half of those don't come, that is a 20% drop in their highest spenders. I am all for rosy tints, but this is actually a quite grave statistic if it is half true.

• Like 1

How many people are murdered in say New York for example each and everyday, but tourists still go there. Murders happen all over the world, so why would it stop tourists from travelling to those destinations? The Koh Tao murders are horrific and the way things have and are being dealt with is appalling. However, this is now being further investigated.

This is actually much worse than the (wrong) numbers in the OP!!

Have seen the whole survey, and out of those surveyed only 10% had considered going to Thailand within the next two years!!

Out of those 10%, 39% might reconsider!! Makes sense?

TAT can give us whatever numbers they want (and they do!), but the Chinese and the Russians can't replace the revenueloss from the higherspending and friendlier European tourists!!

Not for the first time in history: Arrogance leading to the fall of a nation!!coffee1.gif

My family will go back to Thailand.....the day the right people will stay behind bars ( in prison ).....not 1 day Before that !!

It is a matter of justice and moral ethics !!.......oh.. by the way.......my WIFE is Thai....( she might go alone ??? )

European tourists still like to visit Thailand despite of the British tourist murders in Koh Tao

BANGKOK: -- The murder of two British backpackers in Koh Tao has no impact on decision making of European tourists as most of them still do not change their minds and will continue to visit Thailand.

Over 80 percent of them said they still like Thailand despite of the recent development, according to the New York-based consumer research firm Envirosell.

The US-based research firm conducted a survey of European tourists’ opinions about visits to Thailand, during October 13 and 16.

They are broken down to 618 British and the remaining 1,217 are from eight other countries in Europe.

More than half or 61 percent of the respondents said they would not reconsider their planned visits to Thailand whereas the remaining 39 percent indicated they might review their plan, depending on the developments of the murder case on Koh Tao.

Besides, 74 percent of the tourists did not doubt the investigation into the murders, while 26% cast doubts about the case because they had heard about lack of transparency in the investigation from the media.

However 85 percent of respondents said they still liked Thailand despite recent developments.

Asked what improvements they would like to see most, the respondents indicated they wanted to see improved tourist safety and more assistance centers for tourists, harsher penalties for exploiters of tourists, and better regulation of tours and taxis.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/european-tourists-still-like-visit-thailand-despite-british-tourist-murders-koh-tao/

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2014-10-22

Have they really considered what it means to have 40% of high value tourists who intend to travel to Thailand reconsidering their travel plans?

If half of those don't come, that is a 20% drop in their highest spenders. I am all for rosy tints, but this is actually a quite grave statistic if it is half true.

Again not what was said...

"might reconsider "

My family will go back to Thailand.....the day the right people will stay behind bars ( in prison ).....not 1 day Before that !!

It is a matter of justice and moral ethics !!.......oh.. by the way.......my WIFE is Thai....( she might go alone ??? )

If you had already booked flights back in February or March for lets say November / December sometime would you cancel them knowing that you will not get any refund at all or would you still come to Thailand ?

I'm not trying to pick apart your stance on this I'm attempting to confirm my belief that people are still coming in large numbers 'as normal' because they have probably booked holidays way in advance of the current problems, holidays and flghts which can't be cancelled without the full loss of all money paid which for many would mean no holiday - so they just stick with their plans.

I suspect those who have not yet booked might just choose to go elsewhere.

Edited by ukrules

Why should it affect tourists? Will people change their travel plans to the US cos a guy there just admitted to half a dozen recent murders in Indiana or Canada where police chase and kill someone cos he was "radicalised" and find several babies in an oil drum in a lockup or the UK where people are routinely slaughtered in knife crime. As sad as the Koh Tao case is, it is just another serious case in a dangerous world.

• Like 1

Why should it affect tourists? Will people change their travel plans to the US cos a guy there just admitted to half a dozen recent murders in Indiana or Canada where police chase and kill someone cos he was "radicalised" and find several babies in an oil drum in a lockup or the UK where people are routinely slaughtered in knife crime. As sad as the Koh Tao case is, it is just another serious case in a dangerous world.

The routine robbery and murder of tourists in Florida made a big difference at the time as has been previously mentioned.

This is actually much worse than the (wrong) numbers in the OP!!

Have seen the whole survey, and out of those surveyed only 10% had considered going to Thailand within the next two years!!

Out of those 10%, 39% might reconsider!! Makes sense?

TAT can give us whatever numbers they want (and they do!), but the Chinese and the Russians can't replace the revenueloss from the higherspending and friendlier European tourists!!

Not for the first time in history: Arrogance leading to the fall of a nation!!coffee1.gif

Indeed and even more stupidly, the premise for all these massive numbers of Chinese tourists was zero cost tours funded by gouging the tourists while they are Thailand. All a complete sham of a business.

And yet, they still claim they don't care if the numbers of "farang" tourists don't matter. It is denial of the worse kind and it will bite them eventually

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2014-10-22

"might reconsider "

Consider and might reconsider is a knats hair away from each other in meaning. I am not sure it is possible to differentiate the might reconsider and reconsider in meaning, since both require considering something.

It is a really bad result to have this many people reconsider their plans

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2014-10-22

"might reconsider "

Consider and might reconsider is a knats hair away from each other in meaning. I am not sure it is possible to differentiate the might reconsider and reconsider in meaning, since both require considering something.

It is a really bad result to have this many people reconsider their plans

Looking for other places to go or might look for other places to go....

Very very different...

Keep in mind that this wonderful country thrives on tourism. It is good news. After all in every country in the world bad things happen and there are bad people.

Simply amazing the number of supposedly educated Farongs who don't know that. Fortunately for them they have some of the most honest news papers in the world to give them all the real truth. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifwai.gif

What the <deleted> is a farong ? and seriously don't you guys get bored with all the bashing, what happened was truly shocking, but what are you all gonna say when it turns out they were guilty ?

yawnnn do i plan to visit Thailand?yes

do i plan to visit koh tao?never ever(and it was one of my favourite spots shark bay ao leuk mango bay ..but i am not going to make the murderers richer)

Edited by kaobang
  • Like 1

Do you know? I get sick and tired of the usual get out clause: well it happens all over the world ..blah ...blah..blah. But we are not talking about all over the world, the killings are Thailand related! So now it's not because of: but it's in spite of the killings, the customers are still coming back,and does Double Killings of this nature happen in English Holiday Resorts? I think not!

Neither to my knowledge does a double beach killing,such as this one, happen in Scotland, Wales.or Ireland! and include the Scilly Iles,and Channel Islands,and outer Hebredes,and Shetlands in that !

• Like 1

I'm not European, but the murders have not changed my plan to visit Thailand. All the bad press have caused me to stay in other places longer and shorter time in Thailand, but I still plan to visit Thailand. It has caused me to never go to Koh Tao, and to be careful when visiting small islands anywhere in the world.

....if this is ..............Envirosell Thailand....... might that be considered a conflict of interest ....???

Sadly you are 100% right-

This survey has no credible bases what so ever-

If you believe 93% ratings and this particular pathetic offensive Propaganda piece - don't risk this country-

People will lie to you continuously - in some cases it can lead to significant danger.

The military are running the country -

Travel insurance would be extremely hard to get.

Check your travel advisory

Edited by Fred Flinstone

I read this poll rather differently.

If 39% of Europeans coming to Thailand actually do change their plans, that will represent a huge disaster for the Thai tourist industry. Yes, it's possible to say that "most" are still coming because the drop isn't quite 50%, but a drop of 39% is unprecedented.

The other aspect to consider is how many people who previously weren't considering coming, will now come? Would that be zero by any chance?

And finally, Russians have been a huge growth market, but I wonder if the weakening Russian economy from Ukraine inspired sanction will crimp the numbers of tourists from that source.

A 39% drop in a market that is not offset by some growth from another source would devastate Thailands tourist industry and let's face it, it isn't been good for a few years, no matter what TAT says.

• Like 1