Career path for daughter.

Goanna

my wife's daughter is 17 years old. She dropped out of her thai school at 14, but has done grade 10 and 11 in Australia. She wasn't able to learn that much, but has a reasonable grasp of English. At the moment, she is at a loose end in Thailand, and engaged to a young thai guy. I would appreciate any suggestions for a job, live in maybe, or an education opportunity, live in. She has worked at a restaurant for a month live in, but she's too spoilt and threw it in.

I'm thinking maybe a hairdresser internship or something. Any ideas please? She can't just hang around mum forever.

Get her back to school, even part time. You may find she has a new understanding of how important an education is.

With her English skills, how about a part time job at something like Mc Donalds, Burger King, Starbucks....even if the wage is poor, it would be excellent Training for her and later she can move on to bigger and better.

You are going to have to MOTIVATE her before the B/F gets her pregnant, leaves her and she ruins her life.

Fingers crossed....wishing you both well!!

Edited by Torrens54
  • Like 2

Sounds like she's already made a lot of choices in life, from which it'll be difficult for her to recover (career etc wise).

She's really got 3 options:

1/ Start a qualification which would allow entrance to university, so that she can then continue on the "normal" path. This should be possible within 1-2 years via studying at the "Gor Sor Nor" or "School of non-formal education". Although she has to want to do it, and from what you've said I'm not sure how interested in studying she is.

2/ Start learning a trade which doesn't require university, maybe as a chef or something similar, find out what she's passionate about, as otherwise she might not really be interested in doing it.

3/ You provide for her, either as a sponge who sucks up your money each month, or you setup a small business and let her work in it, which she would eventually manage. Something which of course doesn't require too much trade specific skills, maybe something like a cafe or a small shop. The cost of setting up something like this in a small town would be minimal, the returns probably would too, but then you've done your bit, and if she runs it well, she'll make money, if she doesn't.... then she won't. You can recoup your costs of setting up the business from her Sin Sod when she eventually gets married.

The most important thing, is that she does what she feels she would like to do, and what plays towards her strengths.

Also of course explain to her that children are expensive, and that marriages are expensive. Ensure that she's aware, that getting married or having kids is something she should only do once she's financially stable.

• Like 2

If shes can get into university then maybe that's something to consider but then again, universities in Thailand are expensive and I'm not altogether sure how much she'll actually learn, given that every student 'passes' anyway.

Also, a degree from university in Thailand isn't very highly regarded in other countries.

OK, maybe this is something you hadn't considered but...

How about setting her on her way to learning how to code?

She doesn't have to be a real techie just have an interest in learning something new.

The very basics of learning to code can be done online via sites such as these:

http://www.codecademy.com/about

http://code.org/

Open to people from all ages to grasp the basics of computer science. Sounds very technical, but the reality is quite different and with regards to the basics can be fun too, especially for kids as they can make their own computer games and even mobile apps.

There is a massive need for people to be able to code. Within the next decade this will only increase and the need to be able to code will be the same as being able to use say Microsoft Word or sending an email is today.

I'll start teaching my daughter the very basics of code as soon as she is old enough to sit still for more than two minutes, probably using something like I've linked above.

In an ideal world, Thailand would start teaching code in IT classes now. If in the next decade Thailand could produce a generation of people who knew how to code I can't begin to imagine what opportunities would occur not only for those individuals but also for the country and its economy as a whole. But like I said, that would be in an ideal world....

Anyway, do your own research on the subject.

Good luck!

Edited by pinkpanther99
  • Like 1

Personal input.

my daughter ( now 20) started uni in the states in the environmental dept. She had a international education here in Phuket

after 1 year she stated finding it was not for her so got a job as a vet tech and loves it,

is now registered in the Vet tech program in the local community school, where after 1 year class and 2 years work experience she gets a full vet tech credentials which helps for vet school.

makes good $$ , but better loves it,

Always demand for vets

let her find something she likes to do.. give her time 17 is a tough age.

With grants/scholarships and being able to work p/t school in the states is cheaper/better than Thailand.

Seems to me the best way to fail is for you to decide what work would be best for her. Can you engage her in a decision that will greatly effect her life, future, etc.? Let her live, unsupported, with her BF and see how long it takes her to get serious about an education/work.

Mate, change your ways quickly or you'll be walked all over.Who paid for her 2 year trip to OZ, where she couldn't even become fluent in English?What does her mother say?The mother is the key here - young women follow their mothers footsteps/advice.Does her mother work?In the cases I've seen, the young girl gets pregnant and then when the kid's about 5 will go online to find a gullible farang who she knows will marry a woman with a kid and spoil then rotten. Possibly she thinks you will take care of everyone regardless.

A very sad case indeed.

From personal experience I would recommend a tough approach. Warn that there will be no further support, she is on her own, and get your Mrs to endorse this as well.

In your case it may be too late to avoid the trauma of what this 17 year old is going to do.

Protect yourself as much as possible from the personal and financial repercussions of your daughters future actions.

. . . and get your Mrs to endorse this as well.

cheesy.gif cheesy.gif cheesy.gif

Good luck with that. A Thai wife who puts the desires of her husband above those of her children. It'll be a first.

Mate, change your ways quickly or you'll be walked all over.Who paid for her 2 year trip to OZ, where she couldn't even become fluent in English?What does her mother say?The mother is the key here - young women follow their mothers footsteps/advice.Does her mother work?In the cases I've seen, the young girl gets pregnant and then when the kid's about 5 will go online to find a gullible farang who she knows will marry a woman with a kid and spoil then rotten. Possibly she thinks you will take care of everyone regardless.

If as you say they follow the mother, then she will end up with a farang husband based on that logic, because she will see it as easy.

You are probably right.

Also if the husband is retired, they see no work ethic because he isn't working ..and think that's been his life forever probably.

Combine that with the wife probably not working which seems to be the case with most wives of retirees ( they want to be looked after!!) then there simply isn't any real example to follow.

Tour guides do well and with a good grasp of English she has a good opening. Back to school and get whatever

certificate she needs. Also a little tough love will be needed on your wife's part. As long as she has access to

the good life (your cash) there is no need to do anything.

17 already engaged. Don't wanna work.

I wish the best really.

Stopping her getting babied up, dropped by the father and your wife left to carry the can (and baby) while she continues to pay around (and has other kids by more runaway fathers) is the main priority.

I echo getting her into the Army, stopping the cash handouts etc. but be too mean and she might just head off to Pattaya or similar. I doubt if you can get rid of the lecherous Thai BF.

As for university, what sort of education can be derived from a place which lets people in who have no real qualifications or ability ? A pathway to university may be an option but that is work, which seems to be low down on the list of priorities.

A very sad case indeed.

From personal experience I would recommend a tough approach. Warn that there will be no further support, she is on her own, and get your Mrs to endorse this as well.

In your case it may be too late to avoid the trauma of what this 17 year old is going to do.

Protect yourself as much as possible from the personal and financial repercussions of your daughters future actions.

. . . and get your Mrs to endorse this as well.

cheesy.gif cheesy.gif cheesy.gif

Good luck with that. A Thai wife who puts the desires of her husband above those of her children. It'll be a first.

Make that, at least, a second.

• Like 1

She sounds like a candidate for the bus to pattaya, only she hasn't had the baby and financial struggle yet.

What the heck is a 17 year old uneducated girl doing living on her own in Issan?

Why isnt she with the mother in Ozzy land?

The OP had best get his head round the fact that sooner or later, not only will he be supporting his wife, he will be supporting her daughter, probably worthless layabout from hick village, and the soon to be obligatory kid that will soon appear.

From my observations, the umbilical cord is never cut, it will always be present tyeing the mohter to her child.

Sorry to appear harsh, this girls life is already over and her future path already cemented.

Watched it with my own two eyes, two farang with Thai wives and daughters, both girls now 23 years old.

Both girls went to an international school, on leaving school one girl went to uni and graduated and has now landed a job in the Uk paying 26 grand per year.

The other was too lazy/thick to go to uni, now has two kids and the dumb farang husband supports the daughter her kids and her worthless husband, his retirement plans have been put on hold.

Get this girl out of Issan asap and get her to Oz where she may stand a chance, providing she has a work ethic, it may well be too late to install one.

• Like 1

Without the Wife / Mother of this girl becoming strongly involved in her future I don't see any positive result. What does your wife have to say about this ? is she just as concerned as you or an "up to her" attitude. I see the biggest problem being the Thai B/F and the possibility of her becoming pregnant.

All you can do is continue to motivate her and provide options... Good luck, hope it all works out.