Value a second hand car

ryanhull

Hey all, since moving up north, I have seen alot of second hand cars which seem quite cheap compared to bangkok, for example I saw a nice honda city for 70,000 however I am a bit unsure how to get the value of a motor here aside from looking what others are selling them for,

In the UK we have a book called the parkers which gives you a guide price for the year/model,

Just wondering is there a Thai book to find out the value of a car based on model/age/milage?

Cheers

Are the thai auctions any good and worth a visit?

I used to love the uK auctions, other than coming away random cars when I didn't need them, but that 2.8 v6Skoda superb ex police for 700GBP was such a bargain.

Auctions here are very similar to the UK, you really need to go more than once to see what's happening and if possible, see who's buying and selling. Thailand is still at the stage of cut-and -shut so many vehicles come from several donors. Added to this there is no proper inspection of older cars and pickups so be very careful and maybe be prepared to have a good look underneath yourself.

Newer vehicles seem to depreciate rapidly whilst older ones tend to keep the same prices year after year. As an example, we sold our 27 year old banger Toyota Hilux Hero two days ago. We got 72k for it and the buyer was visibly overjoyed. Everything that should have been there was and it had been serviced properly etc. Back in the UK it's value probably would have been 7 to 10 thousand baht if that. .

Union Auctions seem to be the largest group having at least two sites in Bangkok, and they regularly hold auctions around the country, mainly at BigC premises.

Edited by finnomick

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
  • Like 1

I think what the OP wants is this

http://www.redbookasiapacific.com/th/index.php?lang=en&

Like a Thai Glass's Guide, if your not a 'trader' there is a small fee for ad hoc enquiry

However in the current climate realising the mid range price might still be a task

I've used redbook before - they give a valuation for 100 baht in English and Thai purely based on the information you supply them with - it's all online.

I think what the OP wants is this

http://www.redbookasiapacific.com/th/index.php?lang=en&

Like a Thai Glass's Guide, if your not a 'trader' there is a small fee for ad hoc enquiry

However in the current climate realising the mid range price might still be a task

Except as posted, that site uses the same websites to come to their price conclusions as well.

What year was that Honda City? If it was an 07 model and above, that's too cheap to be true. I would definitely avoid at all cost. Normally if a car is way below market price, then something is wrong with that car.

You may be able to pick up used cars that were confiscated by banks for 20-30% cheaper than the used market price.

Edited by mike324

What year was that Honda City? If it was an 07 model and above, that's too cheap to be true. I would definitely avoid at all cost. Normally if a car is way below market price, then something is wrong with that car.

You may be able to pick up used cars that were confiscated by banks for 20-30% cheaper than the used market price.

And how do you go about finding these Bank confiscated cars?

And how do you go about finding these Bank confiscated cars?

Believe it or not, some banks actually advertise the cars ( and properties for that matter ) on a board inside the bank. I remember SCB Jomtien Beach Road doing this.

Probably a 97