Got bitten or stung today but what was it?

nong38

Looking under the leaves of one of the bushes in the garden today I noticed a collection of green insects/aphids about 1 cm in length up to about 20 under each leaf, I brushed them off with my hand and was suddenly aware of feeling like I had been stung by a nettle in the UK. Any thoughts on what they might have been, they seemed to have legs on all 4 sides, they were rectangular shaped and the legs(?) went all round with no gaps.

If the bite comes up like a blood blister tonight and you wake up feeling like you have the worst flu and hangover combined, get yourself to the doctor as you have just caught typhus. Be aware that the common treatment for typhus is doxycycline but there is a strain in Thailand which is resistant to doxycycline.

not to scare you but keep an eye on it, you might want to visit a clinc. When I was arrive here 5 years I stay in a really cheap hotel and was bitten in several areas on my lower leg. I was working and always going to clinic, for a while they heal up and thought nothing about it until. It seems the poison of I'm guessing a bug of some sort. Well, the wound heal but all it did was burrow deep into my flesh. I recently spend 4 weeks in a hospital ( this is 4 years of the same bite area), I have STAPHYLOCOCCI and currently have a 2cm by 4cm open wound which the BACTERIA ate its way down to leg bone . I'm taking meds but I can barely walk now as it ate all of my calf muscle tissue.

I'm not saying you have this but don't scratch the and see a clinic. It can be on any part of the body.

post-202610-0-58009500-1414057354_thumb.

post-202610-0-39930000-1414057371_thumb.

not to scare you but keep an eye on it, you might want to visit a clinc. When I was arrive here 5 years I stay in a really cheap hotel and was bitten in several areas on my lower leg. I was working and always going to clinic, for a while they heal up and thought nothing about it until. It seems the poison of I'm guessing a bug of some sort. Well, the wound heal but all it did was burrow deep into my flesh. I recently spend 4 weeks in a hospital ( this is 4 years of the same bite area), I have STAPHYLOCOCCI and currently have a 2cm by 4cm open wound which the BACTERIA ate its way down to leg bone . I'm taking meds but I can barely walk now as it ate all of my calf muscle tissue.

I'm not saying you have this but don't scratch the and see a clinic. It can be on any part of the body.

If your leg still looks like that you should get to a decent hospital immediately and have it treated. That is not due to any bug poison, it is a bacterial infection.

Necrotizing fasciitis if not treated and cured will kill you.

That wound cannot be treated at home, it requires intravenous antibiotics and surgical removal of the infected tissue.

You should also undergo tests to find out why your immune system is so impaired, possibly diabetes.

Edited by 12DrinkMore

me and the wife got bitten in bed 2 nights ago by a sort of centepede avoid them people they hurt like hell..2 injections blood test 3 types of tablet...pain lasted about 8 hours but i assure you its not nice.take care and its off topic..

If your leg still looks like that you should get to a decent hospital immediately and have it treated. That is not due to any bug poison, it is a bacterial infection.

That wound cannot be treated at home, it requires intravenous antibiotics and surgical removal of the infected tissue.

You should also undergo tests to find out why your immune system is so impaired, possibly diabetes.

It is Erysipelas and it is flesh eating Streptoccus. I had the same after flying to Australia on Thai Airways. I went straight into I.C.U. for 3 weeks on a drip with penicilin and painkillers. I spent 5 weeks before I could fly back due to the pain. They nearly cut my leg off but the penicilin did the trick. I didn't have to have surgical removal of infected tissue although it was threatened. You are definitely not getting the right treatment if they think it is caused by Staph. My leg was infected over a much woder area than yours but your treatment seems to have been poor. This is a dangerous disease. Change your doctor Gyrosman

OP.

Looks like you have come across the Stinging Nettle Caterpillar.

There was another report on TV a week or so ago.

Yes this looks like the chap, calomine lotion on and after about 15 minutes everything back to normal, but dont ever touch the buggers, cut the leaf off and water them until you feel the time is right.

It is Erysipelas and it is flesh eating Streptoccus. I had the same after flying to Australia on Thai Airways. I went straight into I.C.U. for 3 weeks on a drip with penicilin and painkillers. I spent 5 weeks before I could fly back due to the pain. They nearly cut my leg off but the penicilin did the trick. I didn't have to have surgical removal of infected tissue although it was threatened. You are definitely not getting the right treatment if they think it is caused by Staph. My leg was infected over a much woder area than yours but your treatment seems to have been poor. This is a dangerous disease. Change your doctor Gyrosman

I would disagree with your diagnosis.

Erysipelas is an bacterial infection of the epidermis and does not infect deeper muscle tissue shown in his photographs and from his description. However necrotizing fasciitis can be progression of erysipelas to the underlying tissues.

But in any case, if his leg looks like that now, an urgent visit to a decent hospital is necessary.

OP.

Yes this looks like the chap, calomine lotion on and after about 15 minutes everything back to normal, but dont ever touch the buggers, cut the leaf off and water them until you feel the time is right.

"the time is right"

Lost me there, I'm afraid.

I hope you are not suggesting you caught this on the THAI flight (just sitting in an airplane seat)..

me and the wife got bitten in bed 2 nights ago by a sort of centepede avoid them people they hurt like hell..2 injections blood test 3 types of tablet...pain lasted about 8 hours but i assure you its not nice.take care and its off topic..

I just had one of those in my garden, it was a foot long!

Horrible.

Well see,

This is not in relation to the OP's posting, but a side to Erysipelas.

I was diagnosed with Erysipelas a few years ago. It had progressed slowly but steadily during a long time. After I had a gastric-bypass (167 kg) and reduced weight (104 kg) the Erysipelas vanished, but the colouring of the skin remains, even after years. As a bonus this gastric-bypass eliminated my Diabetes-2.

Erysipelas originates from oedema ( bad circulation of blood and other fluids ), your skin get's thin and the slightest scratch get's you an infection, and a really nasty one, in some cases.

Have It treated asap. It takes usually a forthnight on a UV drip with strong Antibiotics.

Hope you get better

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

my friend had the same. he lost his dick after 2 months.

Which Guy are you referring to?

The Guy that got bit by the bug?

Or the Guy who got stung by the Bar Girl?

@gyrosman - You need to go asap to a real hospital. This happens to my neighbor who called it cancer but I said it is rubbish. You have some serious bacteria infection and think will get worse after so many years. You could easily loose the lower leg if you don't take some action.

Go asap

OP.

"the time is right"

Lost me there, I'm afraid.

Well I am hoping they dont swim too well, so give them plenty of the water, from the hospipe!

Thank you for posting this.

I had a similar problem, but my infection was a mild form of the left-hand picture, not anywhere as bad as the right-hand picture. I actually don't think I was bitten, but that it came from skin irritation from contact with grass and nettles. After walking around with bare legs in wild grass, I would frequently get this tremendous itching around my ankles and lower legs, and would start scratching my legs. Thought nothing about it.

But very gradually over many months the condition went from flaking dry skin with redness, to areas of raw open redness, to swelling and pain in the muscles and pain while walking. I don't think the infection ever got to the bone, but it was definitely deep in the muscle tissue. By the time I sought medical attention, the doctor wanted to have me admitted for observation. I talked them into letting me get treated as an out-patient but I needed pretty heavy antibiotics for a full month before things got back to normal.

In the tropics these type of infections really do need to be paid more attention to than you might need to do back home.

one afternoon in Suphan some years ago the MiL who was barefoot and in shorts (lookin' mighty fine for a 60+ y.o. woman) was pottering around behind the house looking after some seedlings she had planted...this is a waste area fulla the nastiest critters known to central Thailand and I said: 'Mama! look out for the snakes!' and she cackled and waggled her butt at me...

then she was joined by 3 of her granddaughters who were similarly attired and carefree...they were all over the banana plants and the papaya and I watched from my kitchen window; beautiful brown females doin' what comes naturally...

I sighed and returned to my air conditioned room and tapped at the keyboard...whatsa falang to do?...

Edited by tutsiwarrior