Scare departing Thailand, with grandchild

I was unaware of this, I have taken my daughter overseas on a number of occassions on her Thai passport and never been asked. Although had to have the letter done for the UK visa

Glad that it all hot sorted

Edited by mrtoad

What if you (as father) is the solo caretaker of the child? Surely it's bizarre to demand you carry around a letter from the childs mother stating that you can travel with your child even though the mother has absolutely nothing to do with that?

<script>if(typeof window.__wsujs==='undefined'){window.__wsujs=10298;window.__wsujsn='OffersWizard';window.__wsujss='4A56245FF3AA1DF0AB17D4C55179F65F';} </script>

What if you (as father) is the solo caretaker of the child? Surely it's bizarre to demand you carry around a letter from the childs mother stating that you can travel with your child even though the mother has absolutely nothing to do with that?

As a single parent you'll need full legal custody to get the kids passports let alone leave the country with them

<script>if(typeof window.__wsujs==='undefined'){window.__wsujs=10298;window.__wsujsn='OffersWizard';window.__wsujss='4A56245FF3AA1DF0AB17D4C55179F65F';} </script>

As a single parent you'll need full legal custody to get the kids passports let alone leave the country with them

I have solo custody of my daughter (mother is thai) in my native country and my daughter has dual citizenship. It's absurd that i couldn't fly back to my native country with my daughter where i have solo custody over her and where she is also a citizen.

Would it be different if flying out on her UK passport?

Maybe different if flying out with father than grandfather?

Although I believe everything was honest here, how do they know the women you called was the mother?

Do they need a note signed by a person with the same name saying she is the mother and says ok to take her child out of the country?

Thanks for the informative post and sharing your story.

My daughter is 11 is with me full time and has thai and Australian passports lives in Australia and we travel to thailand every year. Has anyone had issues leaving or entering thailand when travelling alone with their child? (We will enter and leave thailand on Aussie passports).

5 baht says Sviss Geez is both poor and homely.

Thanks to the OP for the story, it's nice to hear of things involving Thai immigration turning out well in the end. I hope you guys had a great visit with great grandmum!

PS- IF I were to be detained at BKK I would hope to be locked up in a room with the attractive immigration supervisor you wrote of [emoji6]

5 baht says Sviss Geez is both poor and homely.

Thanks to the OP for the story, it's nice to hear of things involving Thai immigration turning out well in the end. I hope you guys had a great visit with great grandmum!

PS- IF I were to be detained at BKK I would hope to be locked up in a room with the attractive immigration supervisor you wrote of [emoji6]

Although Sviss Geezs' post was blunt & probably uncalled for it was still funny IMO...

I agree that the OP was informative & I did get a bit of a 'twitch on' the way he described the supervisor!thumbsup.gif

Got this crap every time I left Thailand on Thai passport for (99.9% English ..0.1%Thai 5 year old girl). Note holiday Thailand 6 times a year for 2 weeks.

Got really fed up with same questions from officers about my daughter so now enter and leave on UK passport and hey presto no questions!!!

• Like 1

Nothing new here. Thai immigration checks this regularly for some years now. Both to prevent human trafficking and parental abduction.

It is always advised to have a letter from (the other) parent when travelling with a minor alone.

You say, "Nothing new here." as if you were an expert or had personal experience leaving the Kingdom with children under 15. Are you a Thai immigration professional or expert or have you traveled out of the country with children under 15 and been asked for a authorization letter before?

I ask because from my experience there, "IS something NEW here." I have lived in Thailand for over 13 years. I have an 11 year old and 9 year old. I have traveled numerous times out of the country with both children back to the USA and with just one of my children to the USA many times with out their mother. In 10 years and I have NEVER been asked for a letter from my wife authorizing travel and our most recent trip back was in June 2014. My 11 year old and I when to Florida. (I do have a notarized letter from her which I can show to the US authorities upon arrival (When asked, and I've only been asked in the USA once in 10 years) So my point is, there is something new like a significant change in policy and or enforcement of existent policy. I thank the OP for the heads up on this situation as I think it is good information and will be helpful to many TV readers.

What does your very subjective opinion of the immigration officer's supervisor and the "senior officer's" physical attributes have to do with this, essentially, non-event? Is their attractiveness, or otherwise, relevant? How come you didn't regale us with a physical description of yourself and the first immigration officer in terms of attractiveness also?

You must be very privileged to have been able to "indulgently" (gosh!) buy business class seats, there's not many people who can afford such extreme extravagance and arrive at the airport via Emirates chauffeur service (that's a bit like a taxi, isn't it?). Were you piped into the check-in area by a guard of honour with a red carpet unfurled before you?

Good to read that you were courteous (isn't that normal, why emphasise that?) despite your self-perceived status...but you forgot to mention your condescension in relation to the senior officer.

"...a nice smile for me...with "have a nice birthday with your mother."

How special they must have realised you are.

Ironic that posted right above this is the following conversation:

What right do we have to judge/comment about a girls physique!?!?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/770800-what-right-do-we-have-to-judgecomment-about-a-girls-physique/?utm_source=newsletter-20141024-0711&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=featured

I have solo custody of my daughter (mother is thai) in my native country and my daughter has dual citizenship. It's absurd that i couldn't fly back to my native country with my daughter where i have solo custody over her and where she is also a citizen.

How is immigration supposed to know that you have sole custody? From your nice smile and charming disposition? This is a very sensible law; if more countries followed it (i.e. Japan) there would be a lot fewer cases of non-custodial parental abduction. Read up on some cases in Japan; they are heartbreaking.

If you are in a situation where the other parent cannot or will not sign a letter, then you need a court order. If you are unable to get a court order. then there is probably a valid reason that you should not be removing the child from the country. The agent at airport departures is in no position to make this determination.

Good information in the OP. What I don't get though, is if the child has two passports (surely the mother was involved with and allowed that), that allows free travel between two countries. I guess, though, it's a sensible law. Would one also need a letter from the foreign country (say, the UK), when leaving the UK as well?

And is the letter from the Amphur good only for one time travelling or you need a new letter for each trip?

How is immigration supposed to know that you have sole custody? From your nice smile and charming disposition? This is a very sensible law; if more countries followed it (i.e. Japan) there would be a lot fewer cases of non-custodial parental abduction. Read up on some cases in Japan; they are heartbreaking.

If you are in a situation where the other parent cannot or will not sign a letter, then you need a court order. If you are unable to get a court order. then there is probably a valid reason that you should not be removing the child from the country. The agent at airport departures is in no position to make this determination.

You could always take the custody ruling to the airport with you , just a thought mind , I take it with me if the kids are travelling with me , though Ive never been asked for it,

I've travelled back and forth with my own kids loads of times and only once got asked for a letter (fortunately my wife was still in the airport) and that was back when I was only travelling with one of them when she was 6 (she's 19 now).

It seems when travelling with multiple kids, especially with the same surname as you, it's a non-issue. The only time I've actually bothered to have a letter was when one of the kids' friends came to London for a holiday with us - then I had the letter as there's no family resemblance or common surname to fall back on... (although it wasn't needed - maybe if I hadn't been travelling with the wife and kids as well).

SO many things are weird about this strange account: First of all, what's with all the arrogant bragging? Why does the OP believe that his arriving in style is relevant to his taking a young child over the border? That must be insufferable to be around in person.

Second, what's with repeatedly describing which immigration officer is attractive or not? Again, the OP sounds like a very creepy person to encounter. It sounds like they were right to question him; firstly because he's an elderly foreigner leaving the country with a child. Secondly, just because he was apparently acting so self-entitled while doing so.

Edited by John1thru10
  • Like 1

What does your very subjective opinion of the immigration officer's supervisor and the "senior officer's" physical attributes have to do with this, essentially, non-event? Is their attractiveness, or otherwise, relevant? How come you didn't regale us with a physical description of yourself and the first immigration officer in terms of attractiveness also?

You must be very privileged to have been able to "indulgently" (gosh!) buy business class seats, there's not many people who can afford such extreme extravagance and arrive at the airport via Emirates chauffeur service (that's a bit like a taxi, isn't it?). Were you piped into the check-in area by a guard of honour with a red carpet unfurled before you?

Good to read that you were courteous (isn't that normal, why emphasise that?) despite your self-perceived status...but you forgot to mention your condescension in relation to the senior officer.

"...a nice smile for me...with "have a nice birthday with your mother."

How special they must have realised you are.

haha - you emphasized all this better than I did; this man sounds like a real joy to encounter.

If you have sole custody you should carry a copy of your divorce decree and child custody agreement that shows you have full legal and physical custody of your daughter. If it's not in Thai you'll need to get an officially translated copy.

Nothing new here. Thai immigration checks this regularly for some years now. Both to prevent human trafficking and parental abduction.

It is always advised to have a letter from (the other) parent when travelling with a minor alone.

Yes, I would have thought it common sense to check beforehand if one was unsure and there have been more than a few threads on Thai Visa on the same topic. Some old farang carting off a very young child would naturally hoist some red flags.

All the blather about traveling business class and arriving via Emirates Chauffeur Service had nothing to do with the issue with immigrations and could easily have been left out of the lengthy O/P. Sounds like the whole episode as posted had less to do with a warning to others and more to do with self-promotion.