Rising Damp

Not sure really what you are referring to when you say "rising damp"....BUT if it's a wall that has a moisture problem ....first off is to see WHY you have the problem and fix the problem at the root (ie proper drainage on the outside of the wall etc.)

Other than that ...again if it's a moisture problem ...first seal the wall with a concrete sealer (after scraping and prepping ...of course) then paint with a rubberized paint (elastormeric ...TOA 7 in 1 is a decent product) .

Good luck.

Edited by beachproperty

After building the house it is a little too late to install a waterproof mat under the soil and the walls back into the walls , but there's still a few other options, not as efficient.

Any suggestions then please, I was reading on the internet about injecting chemicals into the wall, is this available in Thailand?

Thanks,

After building the house it is a little too late to install a waterproof mat under the soil and the walls back into the walls , but there's still a few other options, not as efficient.

Any suggestions then please, I was reading on the internet about injecting chemicals into the wall, is this available in Thailand?

Thanks,

Curious??????....Is this a home in Thailand? if so .....how do you inject chemicals into the wall when most walls (if not all) in Thailand are made of concrete blocks or bricks? SEALING properly is the solution! BUT only a solution the masks the real problem.....you've got a drainage problem! either water sitting under the house or outside drainage that does not slope away!

Good luck if its water that accumulates under the house with no access to drain it. Maybe can put in vents to let air ventilate under the house?

Edited by beachproperty
  • Like 1

Are you sure that there is not a pipe in the wall that has developed a leak? I had a wall that kept getting damp down near the floor. I knew that there were no pipes in the wall as I built the house and did the plumbing myself. What was happening was that the wall was joined, a "T" , with a bathroom wall that did have pipes in it. A pipe in that wall developed a small leak but the wetness did not appear in the bathroom because of the tile and the dampness traveled, or wicked, to the adjoining wall which was not tiled. I lucked out and did not have to tear out the wall as it turned out too be a cracked extension fitting that was screwed into the fitting in the wall for the shower faucet.

• Like 2

Thanks,

Curious??????....Is this a home in Thailand? if so .....how do you inject chemicals into the wall when most walls (if not all) in Thailand are made of concrete blocks or bricks? SEALING properly is the solution! BUT only a solution the masks the real problem.....you've got a drainage problem! either water sitting under the house or outside drainage that does not slope away!

Good luck if its water that accumulates under the house with no access to drain it. Maybe can put in vents to let air ventilate under the house?

He doesnt say where the house is located.

What you describe is very common in Bkk, especially older properties, you can see the tide mark on the walls both interior and exterior, usually about 3 feet up the wall..

I have seen older houses being demolished, they basically sit on top of a pond, every time in rains the water level rises because it has nowhere to drain off to, the whole area is waterlogged, tends to happen when you build on a flood plain or on top off a swamp, paddy fileds have the same problem.

The worst case I saw was discolured and stained floor tiles, the water was entering the house from underneath and coming up throught the tiles, I have seen rippled floor tiles.

You have four choices, sell, live with it, knock down and rebuild or go for expensive treatment that probably aint economically viable.

Those old wooden houses are the way to go, they can be raised about 3 meteres off the ground.

Putting in french drain pipes wont solve the problem.

• Like 2

Are you sure that there is not a pipe in the wall that has developed a leak? I had a wall that kept getting damp down near the floor. I knew that there were no pipes in the wall as I built the house and did the plumbing myself. What was happening was that the wall was joined, a "T" , with a bathroom wall that did have pipes in it. A pipe in that wall developed a small leak but the wetness did not appear in the bathroom because of the tile and the dampness traveled, or wicked, to the adjoining wall which was not tiled. I lucked out and did not have to tear out the wall as it turned out too be a cracked extension fitting that was screwed into the fitting in the wall for the shower faucet.

Agreed, get some photos up, a picture speaks a thousand words.

Do your neighbours have the same problem?