Pattaya outlines measures to upgrade tourist safety

Rimmer

Look at what they do not what they say. If they were truthfully concerned with protecting tourist they would have performed the simplistic task of ending the Jet Ski scams. Pattaya Jet Ski scams are viewed worldwide over YouTube continually hurting the image of Pattaya and Thailand's tourism and its happening virtually across the street from their main police station. Obviously they place a higher value on the bribe money they get each month from the scum they permit to run the scam on Pattaya's unsuspecting tourists.

These guys have utterly and completely no credibility. They are merely a group of extortionist with government powers; they prove by there actions they are not interested in protecting Pattaya tourist, theyre interest is not in protecting tourist but extracting money from them.

. Sad but true.. I can only talk about pattaya police never see them at night when all the nasty folk are about Asking farang if they want to buy drugs on beach rd or the older girl who asked my friend as we walked if he wanted to go with her niece who was very much under age. The list is endless, though they sometimes have a checkpoint set up in soi sophon or bongkot in the early hours stopping the thais checking their urine i know because they stopped me and my wife she had to go behind a wall and pee in a bottle (really) no toilet. Daytime there outside police station or soi 11 2nd rd stopping motorbikes.. Easy money. I love pattaya its just sad the police are only interested in what they can take from folk

I do not understand so many negative comments...

I have spent 38 winters in Pattaya without any problems of any kind...

Some parts of Europe are much less safe!

have you thought of leaving your room when in Pattaya !!!

• Like 1

Sticking plaster stuff. The only way to reduce the toll of rape and violence which makes Thailand so dangerous for tourists and residents alike is to change the macho culture which encourages Thai men to treat women as mere sex objects rather than their equals.

This is not going to be easy, since discrimination is inherent in the national religion and many Thai institutions - not least the current government, where men predominate - and positively encouraged by the mass media and entertainment industry.

The Prime Minister was right to express his concern at the violence and sexism displayed in television soap operas. The fact that they are as popular with women as well as men shows how brainwashed the entire population has become in accepting the unacceptable.

Soaps, however, are by no means the only culprits in a conspiracy to keep women enslaved by old-fashioned notions of submission and servitude long since been abandoned across most of the civilised world.

Newspapers, magazines and the mass media generally do little to discourage men from being mindlessly macho and treating women as second class citizens. The result is a frighteningly high murder rate and a woman raped every 15 minutes on average.

A massive cultural shift is the only way to turn the damaging tide of sexual aggression and violence,. This can only likely to be achieved through an ongoing and comprehensive re-education programme, focused intially on school and home, but ultimately reaching into every nook and cranny of Thai society - yes, including the national form of Buddhism, which discriminates against women.

In essence, what Thailand truly needs is another coup - this time oust not unpopular politicians but patriarchy. Unfortunately, this may be one fight the middle-aged paternalists currently running the country don't really have the stomach for.

Edited by Krataiboy