Not fitting in yet, what do you think?

Bluetongue

The OP does not say how long he has been in Thailand....but it does take some time (forever for some things) to really catch on to the nuances of the society, especially if one is in the rural areas. I have been here 10+ years and some days it seems like I stepped off the airplane yesterday.

As described, I think the OP handled things pretty well. One of the understandings my wife and I have is that when things like this happen, I need her to take a bit of time to explain to me <deleted> just happened/is happening.

Learning at least some basics of the Thai language will certainly help.

Re: "farang"...it is just a word, let it go...

So you have been here 10 years good how Good is your thai I have been here of and on for 6 years and I try to lean thai and my thai is very good of what Thai people tell me and I am just saying it is not a good word and it is about time thailand get with the real world I have told my thai I not like it and she understands were I am coming from so why can't peopl out there think the same as her on this forum but not saying all of you are but some of you would like the word <deleted> .

Grow up - you are making yourself look a prat!

Farang is a common word used generically to reference a western foreigner. You quickly get used to being referred to as a Farang when someone is speaking to your wife about "Your Farang".

It is only offensive when used offensively - that would usually be in Pattaya and maybe Bangkok.

Me grow I am grown up you get a life and lean a bit about it on the way it is not a thai word ok it was mad up so grow and lean a bit about thailand before you open your mouth

Quality post laugh.png .... I have been 'leaning' a fair bit about Thailand during the last 10 years.

Oh well, at least today I discovered that I am not the only one who thinks you are a moron.

The old 'I've been here more times than you' argument.

You both look like a pair of tools.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The OP does not say how long he has been in Thailand....but it does take some time (forever for some things) to really catch on to the nuances of the society, especially if one is in the rural areas. I have been here 10+ years and some days it seems like I stepped off the airplane yesterday.

As described, I think the OP handled things pretty well. One of the understandings my wife and I have is that when things like this happen, I need her to take a bit of time to explain to me <deleted> just happened/is happening.

So you have been here 10 years good how Good is your thai I have been here of and on for 6 years and I try to lean thai and my thai is very good of what Thai people tell me and I am just saying it is not a good word and it is about time thailand get with the real world I have told my thai I not like it and she understands were I am coming from so why can't peopl out there think the same as her on this forum but not saying all of you are but some of you would like the word <deleted> .

Farang is a common word used generically to reference a western foreigner. You quickly get used to being referred to as a Farang when someone is speaking to your wife about "Your Farang".

It is only offensive when used offensively - that would usually be in Pattaya and maybe Bangkok.

Me grow I am grown up you get a life and lean a bit about it on the way it is not a thai word ok it was mad up so grow and lean a bit about thailand before you open your mouth

Do you smoke pot, you seem a little paranoid, but I'm sure your anger management course will benefit you soon!

• Like 1

There seems to be two groups of farang here. One group like the OP have married moved into the country areas and hence have to try and fit in with Thai way and mixing with her family and all and sundry.

Of course there are shades in between, but I'm at other end of sprectum.

Basically yes I have the live with gf (for couple of years)

But basically its me and her and any farang friends of mine. Yes on her birthday or whatever we have drinks with couple of her friends , but that's it. Its my way or the highway. I couldn't stand living in some out post area fitting in with all that it entails. Good luck

You know some of us don't even have a Thai partner, right? It's not actually compulsory.

Does "some of us" include you ? Was wondering how long before the bike & brolly brigade would come out.

What does a remark about not having a partner, male or female, or other, have to do with fitting in or not ?

Have you been out peddling in the sun ?

Fitting in as a foreigner here ( falang upsets some I see ). For my 5 bahts worth, I'm presently on holiday with the mrs in rural Isaan village.

Yesterday from the market her aunt brought some frogs, insects as well as usual veggies, pork, etc. I avoided the first two.

07:30 this morning a near neighbour had a party with the Leo flowing ;) and a pigs head being carved up and passed around. I declined that. So I'm thinking, dio I fit in ? I say no, but everyone in the village gives me nothing but respect and I know who to wai and who not to. Well pleased with myself as I had a lunchtime siesta in the bedroom with no air con on on, only the fan. And it's 31 degrees

On another point, few days ago at the temple festival, met a guy who I shared a few Hong Thongs with, I really liked him. Nice guy I thought. Later mrs says " he's bad guy, crazy guy, was in prison for murder ! Did I fit in with his time spent with him in the village ? Definitely.

This thread can have two distinct replies. Firstly the guy who lives in a condo in Jomtien, Phuket wherever. With his Western style amenities on hand, Does he see himself fitting in ?

And the guy who lives in them village, the real Thailand. Be it Isaan, Chiang Rai etc

There seems to be two groups of farang here. One group like the OP have married moved into the country areas and hence have to try and fit in with Thai way and mixing with her family and all and sundry.

But basically its me and her and any farang friends of mine. Yes on her birthday or whatever we have drinks with couple of her friends , but that's it. Its my way or the highway. I couldn't stand living in some out post area fitting in with all that it entails. Good luck

You know some of us don't even have a Thai partner, right? It's not actually compulsory.

Does "some of us" include you ? Was wondering how long before the bike & brolly brigade would come out.

What does a remark about not having a partner, male or female, or other, have to do with fitting in or not ?

Just pointing out the absurdity of the statement I quoted - basically saying 'there are two types of farang - those with a thai partner and those with a thai partner'.

A lot of people here have a rather limited view of the expat world.

Your Thai might be good but your English is crap. I sincerely hope you are not Australian. What an embarrassment.

Edited by Mudcrab

Why do all you people out there in this forum use the word farangs It is such a bad word I am from the western farang is a racial word and thailand should start to teach the kids in the school to stop using that word you see I can't stand the word <deleted> and back home in my country Australia we have stop it some 20 years ago so I think thailand should take a stop and stop that word when I read the people here using it all the time I say get a life and think of how bad it is .

Really.."we have stop it" use the word farang. Why did you even post this nonsense.
Nonsense is it will yes I don't use the word and you would be the one that is nonsense

If you want to claim Australian heritage at least learn some fundamental English first. Your statement was nonsense and was written in a gibberish form. You must have slept through most of your ESL classes. If you don't like the term farang then feel free to leave and return to your homeland, note that I said homeland and not Australia.

• Like 2

Love the cop smacking the guest in the head at a wedding!

Surely a quiet word would suffice, you know as to not cause a scene at someones big day. Then Thais and whiskey are a terrible mix.

Classic village styles.

I'm sure there's a book that could be written, 'Tales from the village'

Op, best way to look at things as I see, is just go with the flow. It makes it easier.

The cop was probably just angry that his day and everyone else's would be ruined if he let this guy drink whiskey - can't blame him for that.

• Like 1

I have no plans to fit in with anyone or thing least of all Thailand its people or culture.............if Im honest.

If your posts are anything to go by, you have an almost pathological dislike of Thailand, its people and culture.

Are you being held here against your will?

A dislike of the me me me culture and people yes, the country NO

I have no plans to fit in with anyone or thing least of all Thailand its people or culture.............if Im honest.

Trying to "Go native" is not the same thing as making some effort to "fit in." The first is an unrealistic fantasy, while the latter requires some flexibility, which is often difficult for the elderly or others with impaired social adaptability skills.

Your intentions to continue living in a farang bubble oblivious to your surroundings are, unfortunately, rather common ( in at least two senses of the word) here at Thai Visa.

Youd have to define "fitting in" if it involves going to temples and baaaaaaaing like a sheep with the locals no, if it involves driving with no care for anyone including your own family no, if it involves being selfish and greedy no if it involves me having to ignore crap work and mai pen raiing no.

Also you will have to define a "farang bubble" for me. I live alone on 15 rai in the country 25km from the nearest large town Hua Hin................which I rarely go to.

I have one neighbour who is a lying thief and another who is very good, I rarely see them.

I dont see why its "unfortunate" I dont want to become even the least bit Thai from what i see its seems many are greedy ,selfish and downright irresponsible.

Youll doubtless call it "bashing"

must be kinda unpleasant living in a society you want nothing to do with!

No???? most societies I want "nothing to do with"

Just pointing out the absurdity of the statement I quoted - basically saying 'there are two types of farang - those with a thai partner and those with a thai partner'.

Not having a Thai partner makes someone superior Sb?

You should speak to Gayllips

If your posts are anything to go by, you have an almost pathological dislike of Thailand, its people and culture.

Are you being held here against your will?

It would appear from the writing that he has been done wrong somehow by Thai the country or a Thai person or he is sitting in an armchair in America quarter backing animosity worldwide chat forms...

Neither but you can keep guessing, maybe I was abandoned as a child? maybe my F******g sh** wan* tourettes is the problem???

I do enjoy the speculation though, had it once before on a another site, claimed I was a developer spying................amazing what folk can dream upw00t.gif

• Like 1

You could concentrate on improving your written English instead of going off the deep end about the word 'farang' which is accepted by most of us as it's not used offensively all the time. And even when it is, so what?

• Like 1

Not having a Thai partner makes someone superior Sb?

You should speak to Gayllips

Where did I say that?

that's even more unpleasant

I'll accept there is no right or wrong way to live in Thailand; each to his own. Some are happy and comfortable living out in the sticks among Thais and others prefer to live in a more Westernised area with Western amenities and like-minded people around them. Different people have many differing reasons for choosing where they live, whether alone or with a partner. Some people on here need to take a chill pill.

• Like 1

I dont mind being called Farang at all , been called far worse over the years back home in England. Some Thais may spit the word out as an insult but who cares , its their problem , taking away the word wouldn't eliminate the bigotry.

Do you not speak Thai? Farang just = Foreigner they make no distinction of where from, although usually Western European. I do agree though with you I really do believe you've been called much worse in England!

that's even more unpleasant

For you maybe, for me its just fine

actually its better for others. no one wants to be around an anti-social person

Hmmm....anti-social.....interesting ...this coming from a person who constantly hammers people down who do not agree with his point of view....and labels them as thai bashers....one wonders how you are in real life

with the people around you.

actually its better for others. no one wants to be around an anti-social person

Hmmm....anti-social.....interesting ...this coming from a person who constantly hammers people down who do not agree with his point of view....and labels them as thai bashers....one wonders how you are in real life

with the people around you.

wonder away pal. and if if the cudgel fits swing it.

• Like 1