Tuk-tuk In Oxford Now!

Mossfinn

Tuk-Tuks are getting further afield, from Asia to Brighton and now Oxford.

Nathan Shayler saw it on e-bay and now has changed careers and started a new one running a taxi service in West Oxon.

Moss

Extract taken from the Oxford Mail.

Wonder how much it would cost to set up a business like that? Any ideas?

Jock, you mean in the UK?

If in the UK, i read somewhere on here about the modifications that the Tuk Tuk has to have before being road worthy for taxi purposes. I think roll bars, something to do with the engine thingy me bob and braking system where the main things but the importer can do these for you.

On the Tuk Tuk's in Bristol thread there where links to the importers site.

I wouldn't like to be driving one of them in snowy britain, with my kilt on. That's for sure :o:D

Unfortunatley your link to the article does not work..any chance of re-posting it?

I moved here from West Oxfordshire and am returning for a visitin a few days time....I'd love to find one :D

TP

Link! you must be joking? This is me, a technophobe!

I referenced where I saw it only, not put in an actual hyper-link to it.

However I took advice on how to put a link to the post and low and behold, after a search, as far as I can tell, the Mail has put the story on the web.

I will try and find it again and see if some other news item has picked it up.

Good Luck

Moss

:o

Edited by Mossfinn

However I took advice on how to put a link to the post and low and behold, after a search, as far as I can tell, the Mail has put the story on the web.

This should of course read, 'has not put the story on the web'.

:o

Edited by Mossfinn

Unfortunatley your link to the article does not work..any chance of re-posting it?

I moved here from West Oxfordshire and am returning for a visitin a few days time....I'd love to find one :o

Where in West Oxon are you from TP, you could always give him a call and use him as a taxi.

Mr Shayler, Tuk-Tuk Hire

Rock Road

Carterton

07887 881881

Good Luck

Moss

If you get as far as Oxford itself, i'll buy you a mineral water!

:D

Edited by Mossfinn

Check this link out

http://www.tuktuktours.co.uk/imports.htm

I looked into it, but it would be very expensive and a lot of councils wouldnt let you have a tuk tuk as a taxi, it seems to be a bit hit and miss on if you would get a licence, Bristol has no chance :o

You would have to sva test it when it came to the uk, which involves a very in depth mot, the same as importing cars from Japan, very rigourous and very difficult to pass, you then have emission testing, again if you have ever stood behind a tuk tuk, you would know this is another point that would be very difficult to pass, then you have the particular councils regulations as well as the other legal ones, like seat belts, roll protection etc etc.

So all in all unless you are going to import alot i really couldnt see it being profitable. :D Shame really

Edited by daleyboy

Stretch Tuk-Tuk! Fantastic

Yeah looks pretty cool ehh? :D I would love one of those just for me to drive around :D i bet you could pull the ladies in one of those, pimp it up with a badass sound system and you would have the girls all over you :o Unless of course if it was the middle of winter :D:D

A few grand for the tuk tuk, 2 quid for the bottle of Sangsom and 50k for insurance and sound mufflers.

Would be great during the present heatwave, but can't really see people going crazy for it when that North Atlantic wind blows through in mid February. Your hand would freeze to the pole when trying to get out of the thing. Not to mention the two trails of frozen snot resembling a moustache after a long journey

post-29564-1154108259.jpg

Edited by tourleadersi

I moved here from West Oxfordshire and am returning for a visitin a few days time....I'd love to find one :o

Where in West Oxon are you from TP, you could always give him a call and use him as a taxi.

Mr Shayler, Tuk-Tuk Hire

Rock Road

Carterton

07887 881881

Good Luck

Moss

If you get as far as Oxford itself, i'll buy you a mineral water!

:D

Thanks Moss :D

We will be staying with my Son..he lives in Carterton.

I need to hire a car while I am there, perhaps I'll find out if he would rent it to me....be like a "home from home" what :D

Jock, you mean in the UK?

If in the UK, i read somewhere on here about the modifications that the Tuk Tuk has to have before being road worthy for taxi purposes. I think roll bars, something to do with the engine thingy me bob and braking system where the main things but the importer can do these for you.

On the Tuk Tuk's in Bristol thread there where links to the importers site.

I wouldn't like to be driving one of them in snowy britain, with my kilt on. That's for sure :o:D

There was a guy on here who used to export tuk tuks with the modifications already done.. tuktukmike I think it was..

totster :D

A few grand for the tuk tuk, 2 quid for the bottle of Sangsom and 50k for insurance and sound mufflers.

Would be great during the present heatwave, but can't really see people going crazy for it when that North Atlantic wind blows through in mid February. Your hand would freeze to the pole when trying to get out of the thing. Not to mention the two trails of frozen snot resembling a moustache after a long journey

:o the imagery . . . :D

An automotive engineer, are you tourleadrsi??? :D

(Glad you expressed it this way as I was thinking the same thing . . . Rool bars is about as technical as I get . . .)

:o the imagery . . . :D

(Glad you expressed it this way as I was thinking the same thing . . . Rool bars is about as technical as I get . . .)

The second quote wasn't from me.... I have no idea about cars, but liked the sound of the word 'muffler'. Sounds more like an occupation than a gadget don't you think?

:D the imagery . . . :D

The second quote wasn't from me.... I have no idea about cars, but liked the sound of the word 'muffler'. Sounds more like an occupation than a gadget don't you think?

Yeah, the second quote was from me. and your quite right, i'm no automotive engineer :D Open door, put key in and drive. Every so often, my on-board computer tells me to take car to Mercedes for annual rip-off :o

The engine thingy me bob, was something to do with emmisions, as they will not allow the normal smoking engined Tuk Tuk.

MrBojabngles and Tourleadersi . . . how could I confuse you two . . . Mea Culpa!

Yes, siing_sling how could you.

One of us is a handsome man, educated and witty and the other is full of <deleted>. You decide who is who. :o:D Ok, Ok, i'm more than handsome and more than full of <deleted> too :D

MrBojabngles and Tourleadersi . . . how could I confuse you two . . . Mea Culpa!

One of us is a handsome man, educated and witty and the other is full of <deleted>. You decide who is who. :o:D Ok, Ok, i'm more than handsome and more than full of <deleted> too :D

As the song Mr Bojangles goes "You see I drinks a little bit". That suits one of us, the other "drinks far too much"! You decide. As for who is most handsome, I have often be told by my mum that I've got a 'face only a mother could love'! Couple that with the fact that I have as much class as a lawn flamingo and you can be certain that MrBo is the one laden with handsomeness, education and wit.

As the song Mr Bojangles goes "You see I drinks a little bit". That suits one of us, the other "drinks far too much"! You decide. As for who is most handsome, I have often be told by my mum that I've got a 'face only a mother could love'! Couple that with the fact that I have as much class as a lawn flamingo and you can be certain that MrBo is the one laden with handsomeness, education and wit.

I was quite impressed the other day, when someone said i had a face good for Radio :D Oh wait a minute.......... :D:D