Obtaining new Non-O Visa with change of use

Two years ago I obtained a Non-O visa at Savannakhet based on having a Thai wife. Subsequent Extensions of Stay have been tied to my employment, but I shall not be renewing my contract when it expires on October 31st, and I have obtained a letter from my employers confirming this. As I do not meet the financial requirements to obtain a new Non-O anywhere else I have booked a flight/transfer to Savannakhet on October 28th with a view to obtaining the Visa on the 29th.

I have been receiving conflicting advice about this and wonder if anyone has similar experience. In particular,

1) I have been told that I have to cancel my existing Extension to Stay at Nonthaburi Immigration, where it was originally issued, and that my wife must accompany me. Is this correct, or can I just show the letter to Immigration at Mukdahan before crossing the border and have them effect the cancellation?

2) Does my wife need to accompany me to Savannakhet? If not mandatory, is there any advantage in her being there?

3) I understand I shall need to apply for a multiple-entry Non-O. Do I then have 90 days in which to meet the financial requirements before converting this to a one year Extension of Stay?

Any suggestions/advice would be much appreciated.

1. You must cancel your WP and permission to stay at your local office, the wife does not have to go with you.

If you want you can get a 60 day extension, for which your wife will have to go with you.

2. Your wife does not have to go with you for a new visa. Her signed paperwork is enough.

3. A multiple is valid for 1 year and during that 1 year you can enter and leave Thailand as many times as you want, each time you can stay for up to 90 days. During the last 30 or 45 days of each entry into Thailand you can apply for a 1 year extension of stay.

Thank you Mario.

1) I believe my employers are cancelling the WP (they took a copy), but I shall take it along anyway. When you say "local office" I assume you mean where they were issued (i.e. Nonthaburi where I was working) for the cancellation, but an extension would need to be done at Chaeng Wattana as we live in Bangkok.

2) As I thought. Her employers will be pleased.

3) Am I right in saying that the extension of stay would require satisfying the financial requirements, and effectively I would need to get the B40,000 in the bank within the next month?

1. correct.

2. financial requirements for a 1 year extension are an income of 40,000 baht a month (which can be from abroad) OR 400,000 baht in a bank account in Thailand for at least 2 months.

The 60 day extension does not require any financial proof.