PM: Nationwide transportation expansion to complete in 2017

Lite Beer

PM: Nationwide transportation expansion to complete in 2017
By Digital Content

14142114574297-640x390x1.jpg

BANGKOK, Oct 25 -- As the ASEAN Economic Community is scheduled to kick off at the end of 2015, Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha says he has ordered relevant government agencies to complete road construction and expansion in every region of Thailand as well as connecting them with border points by 2017.

Speaking during his weekly television address on Friday night, Gen Prayut said the plan was forwarded by the Transport Ministry to the cabinet for consideration earlier this week.

The eight-year strategic plan, starting from 2015, is aimed at developing five sectors of the transportation network and covers development of Laem Chabang deep seaport, Suvarnabhumi and Phuket international airports as well, he said.

Gen Prayut stressed that the development plans for public transportation is aimed at solving traffic problem in Bangkok while highways would be connected with neighbouring countries to help boost Thailand’s competitiveness.

Six rail routes, with combined distance of 903 kilometres, will be developed, said Gen Prayut.

Construction is expected to be completed in 2018. Construction of another eight rail routes with combined distance of 1,626 kilometres will begin in 2017.

Besides that, double rail tracks with standard gauge will be constructed on three routes and they will be connected to industrial estates and Thailand’s neighbours of Cambodia and Laos, said Gen Prayut.

The first rail route starts from Bangkok – Nakhon Ratchasima – Map Ta Phut, while the second one runs from Bangkok to Rayong and the third one runs from Nakhon Ratchasima to Nong Khai.

On the development of Laem Chabang deep seaport, Gen Prayut said his interim government aims to make it a ‘hub of goods transportation via railway’ upon completion in 2017.

The government will also develop marine transportation, piers and especially the waterway in the Pa Sak River so that goods transportation could be carried out smoothly, he added. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-10-25

An unrealistic time table considering the amount of time lost due to the wet, the amount of expertise and the type of modern equipment used in the construction would help to some extent , even though , that's a vast net work General to be completed , as I said unrealistic.coffee1.gif

An unrealistic time table considering the amount of time lost due to the wet, the amount of expertise and the type of modern equipment used in the construction would help to some extent , even though , that's a vast net work General to be completed , as I said unrealistic.coffee1.gif

I say realistic. Why not ??? just depends on if you have the materials and good enough workforce and who is to say we haven't ???

• Like 1

Besides that, double rail tracks with standard gauge will be constructed on three routes and they will be connected to industrial estates and Thailand’s neighbours of Cambodia and Laos, said Gen Prayut.

The first rail route starts from Bangkok – Nakhon Ratchasima – Map Ta Phut, while the second one runs from Bangkok to Rayong and the third one runs from Nakhon Ratchasima to Nong Khai.

On the development of Laem Chabang deep seaport, Gen Prayut said his interim government aims to make it a ‘hub of goods transportation via railway’ upon completion in 2017.

From this it would appear that the medium-speed standard-gauge freight-line from Chiang-Khong to Laem-Chabang has been dropped again, but since I don't honestly believe any of these plans will actually be carried through to completion, going by past experience, so what ? wink.png

However the earlier principle, of linking Nong Khai & Chiang-Khong to Laem-Chabang for faster-movement of containerised-freight to the ports, did seem to make sense.

And might even have helped move Thai exports northwards to China.

Actions will speak louder than words, or the seemingly-endless tweaking of plans. This must be frustrating for construction-firms, not to say expensive, hoping for potential contracts.

Edited by Ricardo

dual track rail, what a novel idea.

just getting the basics done will help a lot.

What was the PTP estimate 3 trillion ????

don't recall off hand, but their plan was to build 'high-speed' rail. It seemed like the Chinese plan would have done the 300 kph trains like Europe and Japan. It's expensive - significantly more expensive than a 200 kph system.

If you look at the multi-country systems in Europe, they have both high-speed and regional 'pretty fast' trains. It makes sense to do a good regional system first with support for passengers / freight but also to have high-speed routes in the original plan for future implementation.

The thing is that infrastructure planning has to be a concept with a plan to roll it out over 30-40 years. We're missing that in the USA too. I think the Germans and French started with high-speed rail back in the late 70s early 80s and modernized their regional trains in parallel.

Now the systems stretch across national borders and are making a lot of air-travel redundant. I was just over there and did Paris-Stuttgart in 3 1/2 hours - faster than a flight could get me there. Took a regional train to Munich. Never even needed a taxi with the metro and u-bahn.

All of that was built up with an integrated transport idea in mind - that was obvious. And it didn't happen over night nor was it one big mega-project....

So like I said, getting the basics right helps a lot

To your point, over time, the basics will cost a lot more than 3 trillion. It's the plan and consistency on executing the plan which is important.

• Like 1

I say realistic. Why not ??? just depends on if you have the materials and good enough workforce and who is to say we haven't ???

In 2007 it was announced that the BTS would be extended and our area would have a BTS station fairly near to our moobaan by 2011. That would have been wonderful. It is now 2014 and nothing has even been started.

Nothing is realistic in Thailand - all subject to change to meet the agendas of people. When the people change so do the agendas.

• Like 2

Depends if the new government to be elected end of next year agree with the timetable and expenditure.

Or has that election timescale changed?

I would have thought it is now final and will soon start basic work, as far as elections and new government are concerned they will carry on with what will be well on the way to completion.

dual track rail, what a novel idea.

just getting the basics done will help a lot.

What was the PTP estimate 3 trillion ????

don't recall off hand, but their plan was to build 'high-speed' rail. It seemed like the Chinese plan would have done the 300 kph trains like Europe and Japan. It's expensive - significantly more expensive than a 200 kph system.

If you look at the multi-country systems in Europe, they have both high-speed and regional 'pretty fast' trains. It makes sense to do a good regional system first with support for passengers / freight but also to have high-speed routes in the original plan for future implementation.

The thing is that infrastructure planning has to be a concept with a plan to roll it out over 30-40 years. We're missing that in the USA too. I think the Germans and French started with high-speed rail back in the late 70s early 80s and modernized their regional trains in parallel.

Now the systems stretch across national borders and are making a lot of air-travel redundant. I was just over there and did Paris-Stuttgart in 3 1/2 hours - faster than a flight could get me there. Took a regional train to Munich. Never even needed a taxi with the metro and u-bahn.

All of that was built up with an integrated transport idea in mind - that was obvious. And it didn't happen over night nor was it one big mega-project....

So like I said, getting the basics right helps a lot

To your point, over time, the basics will cost a lot more than 3 trillion. It's the plan and consistency on executing the plan which is important.

UK just completed a trip from Kings Cross London to Doncaster Nth E. 200Kilometers 1 hour and 35 mins, plenty fast enough and is quicker that a flight over all.

There is no cohesive integration with road ,rail,air as said in #10 for instance on another thread i wrote about my experience leaving Bangkok to go to Chiang Mai I heard about an express train that went from city to airport which now does not exist why ? lack of passengers maybe who knows .Making it easy for people to go from city by bus or train to airport would be big plus for tourists .in Bangkok these options are available but not easy to execute the same in Chiang Mai no bus goes to the airport no train goes the only options available are taxi or a,tuk tuk, down side you have to haggle to get an honest price this not a happy situation when you`ve finished your vacation or what ever and just want to get to the airport .As tbthailand wrote all transportation in Germany is integrated makes travel easy,but it took a long time and planning and a desire to achieve this goal ,Thailand could do this just go Germany and learn by there mistakes and achievements. It bloody works I know I lived there for 20 years.

It is becoming increasingly clear that the only difference to having Prayuth or Thaksin in power is that one needs martial law and the other doesn't.

Other than that, the policies are all the same.

Edited by Robespiere
  • Like 1

It is becoming increasingly clear that the only difference to having Prayuth or Thaksin in power is that one needs martial law and the other doesn't.

One is the army---the other one had his own red army----and his own police force and look how efficient they were/are. The most corrupt agency/franchise in Thailand.

What polices did Thaksin have (PTP) they all failed so the PM has nothing to lose.

What has your post to do with the new transport proposals ??? Was martial Law included in these plans ??? use any topic to get your rhetoric across.

Edited by ginjag

Just the road work by 2017 - that could be done - plan started in 1949 would be a good time to get around to finish it. I don't think any of us can count on the rail completed by then.

Well they need to learn to build and maintain roads that last more than six years. I remember when they were building the new 24... Which is pretty much the gateway to Buriram, Surin and Sriseket from Bkk. Certain parts of it are almost impossible to drive now due to pot holes. What's fine for cars doesn't work for heavily loaded trucks. Whoever signed off on that project and whoever built it needs to go to prison for a very long time.

Edited by Local Drunk

One is the army---the other one had his own red army----and his own police force and look how efficient they were/are. The most corrupt agency/franchise in Thailand.

What polices did Thaksin have (PTP) they all failed so the PM has nothing to lose.

Unclear post bordering on gibberish, however,

Why do you think we are seeing headlines like:

Thaksin thinks, Prayuth acts

Military co-opts policies of deposed government

Not quite, one doesn't hire thugs, goons, arsonists and killers to keep the cash register ringing.

Forget about him ramrod711, he's made up his mind.

• Like 1

Just the road work by 2017 - that could be done - plan started in 1949 would be a good time to get around to finish it. I don't think any of us can count on the rail completed by then.

Well they need to learn to build and maintain roads that last more than six years. I remember when they were building the new 24... Which is pretty much the gateway to Buriram, Surin and Sriseket from Bkk. Certain parts of it are almost impossible to drive now due to pot holes. What's fine for cars doesn't work for heavily loaded trucks. Whoever signed off on that project and whoever built it needs to go to prison for a very long time.

Just noticed typo after seeing reply - it was 1959 that the AH system was started. They made it past our area last year finally - makes a large difference - don't stop now.

From this it would appear that the medium-speed standard-gauge freight-line from Chiang-Khong to Laem-Chabang has been dropped again, but since I don't honestly believe any of these plans will actually be carried through to completion, going by past experience, so what ? wink.png

However the earlier principle, of linking Nong Khai & Chiang-Khong to Laem-Chabang for faster-movement of containerised-freight to the ports, did seem to make sense.

And might even have helped move Thai exports northwards to China.

Actions will speak louder than words, or the seemingly-endless tweaking of plans. This must be frustrating for construction-firms, not to say expensive, hoping for potential contracts.

'And might even have helped move Thai exports nothwards to China': don't you think the 'new Thai-Chinese elite''s prime financial interest is more in the imports from China to Thailand...? And nothing about connecting Thaksin's (and befriended Myanmar dictator's) brainchild Dawei, just forgotten, honest mistake?

Unclear post bordering on gibberish, however,

Why do you think we are seeing headlines like:

Thaksin thinks, Prayuth acts

Military co-opts policies of deposed government

Who's headlines----yours My last line always draws a blank from you lot. NO achievements to note .

• Like 1

Something doesn't add up here.

The headline reads that the Transportation Expansion will be completed by 2017. However 1 project doesn't even begin until 2017 and 1 is expected to be completed in 2018

Looks like smoke and mirrors again