Any Recent Stories, returning on Ed Visa?

I'm on an Ed visa (second year) and yes I do go to school but my Thai is still pretty bad. I'd like to take a trip to a neighboring country for four or five days but worry I won't be allowed back in. If they test me and speak slowly, I can understand some basic stuff and reply, but my comprehension drops off when a conversation starts to get interesting. So, has anyone in a similar situation returned recently?

I assume you have an extension of stay (it is not a visa) you obtained from immigration and will be using a re-entry permit when you enter the country.

I don't recall any reports of anybody be tested on their language skills on entry. Some that had problems were out of the country for several weeks (months). Most that were denied entry was based upon not being able to show financial proof.

Many more people have entered than have been denied entry so the chances you will have a problem are small.

• Like 1

Oop, sorry, I still trip over the terminology. Yes, I have what you said, UbonJoe. Your answer gives me the confidence to book and go. And I'm going to start hitting the books and tapes outside of class. I did that once and enjoyed being able to talk a bit but being in my mid-fifties, all gains are soon lost if not regularly reinforced.

Hi Somnamb.

I returned last week from Savannakhet without any problem at the border back to Thailand (no test/questions).

I had 3 years Thai-course already and attended most of the time. I am not so bad with understanding and reading, but not everyone understands me (because of my bad/wrong low/falling/mid/rising/high tones) and correct writing is also very difficult for me. For instance: i never know which of the 8 T's or 4 S's I have to write but can read them all.

Because I also feared possible tests after that long time of studying I asked the school to give me papers for an English course (am a native German speaker). You can study every language except your native language.

I still learn Thai at my school but don't have to fear to be tested at the Embassy/Consulate or Immigration anymore. Now they can test my English if they want.

Because it's not written on the visa which language you are studying, I copied the documents from the school in order to show them to the immigration in case they want to test my Thai skills.

Here is my report for the ED-Visa from Savannakhet last week.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/770595-ed-visa-in-laossavannakhet-same-day-service/

Unless changed recently, some schools assume you are attending every single class while in Thailand and report that to immigration.

Possible to never attend a single class but the school assumes you are attending and reports perfect attendance.

This is the reason for random language tests.

Immigration is realizing the attendance report from language schools is not accurate.