Requirements to get a Non-Immigrant B Visa

I am planning on applying for a Non-Immigrant B visa. I have a university supporting my visa, but I read on the Thai Embassy's website in Kualu Lumpur that in addition to a letter from the university (which I have), I also need a letter from the Ministry of Labor. I also called an agent in Penang, and they said the same thing.

I have applied for Non-Immigrant B visas in the past with only a letter from the employer, so I was a bit surprised to read this. Do I really need a letter from the Ministry of Labor? I just thought I needed a formal letter from an employer.

I do not have a work permit yet, and this will all be processed once I get the Non-Imm B visa and start working at this university.

You need the letter of approval for work permit from the labor office. You can apply for the work permit while being on a tourist visa or visa exempt entry.

The only consulate reported to issue the non-imm 'B' visa without the letter is Singapore.

Thanks. Any idea how long it might take to get a letter from the Ministry of Labor? Is that something I can easily do in one day at the local labor office?

No, this is something your employer does in advance of you applying for your visa.

Before you even enter Thailand, they file a WP3 Work permit application and then when all the papers are in order then the Labour Department will issue the Letter of Approval.

You take the Letter of Approval and listed papers to say Penang (KL are now super strict and inconsistent) and you should be able to get a 90 day Single Entry Non Immigrant 'B' Visa.

Here is a link to the list of required papers fro the visa application:

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15388-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22B%22-(for-Business-and.html

Enter Thailand, show the 90 day non 'b' entry stamp to labour and they will issue your WP, once you have it physically in your hand you can legally start work.

Edited by digitalchromakey

Regardless of whether you get the letter of approval for a WP per others suggested, you need more than just a formal invitation letter from the university. I went though the same thing just two weeks ago with a private Thai company and got my non By visa without the work permit from Phnom Penh. However, I had included everything on their website checklist and more. University's HR department should already know what is needed and have a packet of all of their own supporting documents ready for you. I hope my 2 cents opinion is worth something. Good Luck to you :)

At the end of the day, if your university is unable to provide this information and you have to resort to asking an expat forum, then I would seriously question the professionalism of the university that is supposed to be going to employ you. At least take time to study your employment contract very carefully indeed.

• Like 1

The local labor department has told the local university that they don't give out a letter UNTIL I HAVE A NON-IMMIGRANT B VISA.

So, let me ask this question once again:

In order to get a Non-Immigrant B visa, do I need a letter from the Ministry of Labor?

The rules state you can apply for a work permit with a tourist visa. Even the WP1 form says that. http://wp.doe.go.th/wp/images/form/Form_tt1.pdf

The requirements state that when teaching at the university level you have to meet the same requirements as working for a company which includes the work permit application approval letter.

See: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15388-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22B%22-(for-Business-and.html

The requirements on the Vientiane embassy website only say teaching at a academic institute. You might get one there without one. See: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15388-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22B%22-(for-Business-and.html

My initial concern is only getting the Non-Immigrant B visa. In the past, a person only needed a letter from the business/school planning on hiring the individual. I have not seen these rules before that state that one needs to get a letter from the Ministry of Labor in order to get a Non-Immigrant B visa -- though I haven't applied for a Non-Immigrant B visa for several years.

Also, the staff I'm dealing with told me that they contacted to local Ministry of Labor office, and the people there said that I only start dealing with them once I get the visa. So, in other words, what the local labor office said contradicts what is on the Ministry of Foreign Affair's website.

welcome to Thailand! Information has been provided which states what MAY be asked for. As even you stated in your post you did not provide this letter in previous application. It can however be asked for and it only takes that one consulate employee doing theirjob correctly to mess up your day.

good luck

My initial concern is only getting the Non-Immigrant B visa. In the past, a person only needed a letter from the business/school planning on hiring the individual. I have not seen these rules before that state that one needs to get a letter from the Ministry of Labor in order to get a Non-Immigrant B visa -- though I haven't applied for a Non-Immigrant B visa for several years.

Also, the staff I'm dealing with told me that they contacted to local Ministry of Labor office, and the people there said that I only start dealing with them once I get the visa. So, in other words, what the local labor office said contradicts what is on the Ministry of Foreign Affair's website.

Your local Labour Department has it seems, if the information you got was accurate, put you in a Catch 22 situation.

Other than Singapore, most SE Asian Thai Consulates will insist on the Letter of Approval from Labour.

Your future employer/local labour department is not giving out the correct information.

btw the B Visa on it's own is of no use for work, you cannot legally work in Thailand without a Work Permit.

The rules state you can apply for a work permit with a tourist visa. Even the WP1 form says that. http://wp.doe.go.th/wp/images/form/Form_tt1.pdf

I was looking at this and I can see only the part where in English says "only NON-IMMIGRANT VISA is acceptable".

The same paragraph in Thai also references "TOURIST/TRANSIT" apparently to indicate that is not acceptable for an application. And then there is a sentence in Thai of which I'm not sure about the meaning, referring to a first time application or lack of extension ?

Edited by paz

I was looking at this and I can see only the part where in English says "only NON-IMMIGRANT VISA is acceptable".

The same paragraph in Thai also references "TOURIST/TRANSIT" apparently to indicate that is not acceptable for an application. And then there is a sentence in Thai of which I'm not sure about the meaning, referring to a first time application or lack of extension ?

Yes it says that on the form, but labour will allow you to file the WP1 without having the correct visa needed for issue, otherwise it would be impossible to get a Work Permit with this from as the Letter of Acceptance is now almost always mandatory in SE Asia.

The Letter of Acceptance (needed for a non immigrant 'b' visa application) will only be issued by labour for a successfully filed WP application (having been achieved without the correct visa for WP issue).

This is how it works.

Yes it says that on the form, but labour will allow you to file the WP1 without having the correct visa needed for issue, otherwise it would be impossible to get a Work Permit with this from as the Letter of Acceptance is now almost always mandatory in SE Asia.

The Letter of Acceptance (needed for a non immigrant 'b' visa application) will only be issued by labour for a successfully filed WP application (having been achieved without the correct visa for WP issue).

This is how it works.

Agree 100%, unfortunately the wording on the form doesn't help if a Labour office wants to make things difficult as it seems has happened to the OP.

That's the WP3! Your employer should provide you 2 copies of that. You need that to apply for Non Immigrant Visa B.

Don't forget to ask for the original copy of WP3. You would also need that to apply for your working permit.

WP3 is for applications made with the person outside of Thailand. But the OP is in Thailand.

Am also confused, am supposed to go to Penang for a NONB VISA on saturday and my school has already processed all the required documents but just this evening, a friend told me that there's a new document that is required for all visa types and that I have to apply for it from the Ministry of foreign affairs and go with it, otherwise it will take me more than 3weeks in Penang waiting to get a Visa. Apparently this "new" required document is processed within 2-3working days!!!! Am just confused,does anyone know anything about this? Pliz help.

Are you sure that's not the WP3 from Ministry of labour? When I exited in Laos, another teacher applying for Nob B was declined and requiring a certain document from the district or something? She had a little argument with the officer coz she's teaching to a private school. Apparently, that document is only required if you're teaching in a Gov't school. Of course, the officer win!

• Like 1

Are you sure that's not the WP3 from Ministry of labour? When I exited in Laos, another teacher applying for Nob B was declined and requiring a certain document from the district or something? She had a little argument with the officer coz she's teaching to a private school. Apparently, that document is only required if you're teaching in a Gov't school. Of course, the officer win!

WP3 is an application form for a Work Permit to be submitted to labour on behalf of someone who is no yet in Thailand.

It used to be that the WP3 Filing Receipt (A5 sized piece of paper) was accepted in Lieu of the Letter of Acceptance from labour, but nowadays this is normally not the case at most Thai Consular Facilities in the SE Asia region.

Am also confused, am supposed to go to Penang for a NONB VISA on saturday and my school has already processed all the required documents but just this evening, a friend told me that there's a new document that is required for all visa types and that I have to apply for it from the Ministry of foreign affairs and go with it, otherwise it will take me more than 3weeks in Penang waiting to get a Visa. Apparently this "new" required document is processed within 2-3working days!!!! Am just confused,does anyone know anything about this? Pliz help.

Application procedures fro a non immigrant 'B' visa are different for teachers - see section 2.4 of the Thai MFA guidance page:

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15388-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22B%22-(for-Business-and.html

2.4 Non-Immigrant Visa Category “B” (Teaching)

Foreigners who intend to take up employment as school teachers at the levels below university level in Thailand must submit the following required documents:

- Passport or travel document with validity of not less than 6 months

- Completed visa application form

- Recent passport-sized photograph (4 x 6 cm) of the applicant taken within the past 6 months.

- Letter of acceptance from employing institute or school in Thailand.

- Letter of approval from government agencies such as the Office of the Private Education Commission, the Office of the Basic Education Commission.

- Evidence of educational qualification such as diplomas or teaching certificates.

- School license or business registration, list of shareholders and school profile.

- Applicant’s resume.

- Police certificate verifying that applicant has no criminal record or equivalents or letter issued by authorised agencies in applicant’s country. (The requirement of the submission of such police certificate is optional. The applicant must submit it if consular officer requests he/she to do so. This requirement is effective as from May 2007

For teaching, no WP3 filing receipt or Letter of Acceptance are required.

If you are in doubt then phone the Penang Consulate, they actually answer the phone.

WP3 is an application form for a Work Permit to be submitted to labour on behalf of someone who is no yet in Thailand.

It used to be that the WP3 Filing Receipt (A5 sized piece of paper) was accepted in Lieu of the Letter of Acceptance from labour, but nowadays this is normally not the case at most Thai Consular Facilities in the SE Asia region.

I suppose that a successful WP3 application would have labor office issue a letter of approval? And that letter would be the document required by consulates to issue a non-imm 'B' visa for non-teaching jobs?

Edited by paz

I suppose that a successful WP3 application would have labor office issue a letter of approval? And that letter would be the document required by consulates to issue a non-imm 'B' visa for non-teaching jobs?

Correct, but you need to specifically request the LOA, it is not automatically issued and requires the signature of the head of department at labour

• 1 year later...

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html

Copy of corporate documents; namely 1) list of shareholders 2) business registration and business license 3) company profile 4) details of business operation 5) list of foreign workers stating names, nationalities and positions 6) map indicating the location of the company 7) Balance sheet, statement of Income Tax and Business Tax (Por Ngor Dor 50 and Por Ngor Dor 30) of the latest year 8) Alien income tax return (Por Ngor Dor 91) and 9) Value-added tax registration (Por Ngor Dor 20) , etc.("B")

As I will be a new worker, do I need # 8

So for a person currently in Thailand on a tourist, but will be going to Penang for the B, which doc is needed? Any idea how long this takes ?

So for a person currently in Thailand on a tourist, but will be going to Penang for the B, which doc is needed? Any idea how long this takes ?

You will need a work permit approval letter from the the Labor Ministry.

Did you notice the date on this topic.

Yes but I wasn't sure starting a new topic on the same subject would be correct.

Thank you for replying.

I take it the WP 3 is the application form the employer uses to apply for the letter?

Can I apply for the letter (with required docs of course,) Anyone have any idea how long does it take to issue?

Edited by Moonsterk

Yes but I wasn't sure starting a new topic on the same subject would be correct.

Thank you for replying.

I take it the WP 3 is the application form the employer uses to apply for the letter?

Can I apply for the letter (with required docs of course,) Anyone have any idea how long does it take to issue?

You can apply for the letter yourself with the correct documents. I would suggest that unless you speak good Thai that you either take someone bilingual with you, or you let your employer do it for you.

I say this because if singeing is incorrect or missing you really will need to speak Thai to understand the problem.

They would use the WP1 form to apply for the work permit. It should not take but a few days for the approval letter to be issued,

The WP3 is for applications done before the a person enters the country.

OK , thank you ( so the staff in offices for foreign labor do not speak English? )

Now what docs from the company will the Labor Office need to issue LOA ? I went to the Trang website, but it's fairly empty. I'm thinking along the lines of what would be needed for the B visa

and # 8 would not be applicable as I'm a new worker.

from site http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html

Copy of corporate documents; namely 1) list of shareholders 2) business registration and business license 3) company profile 4) details of business operation 5) list of foreign workers stating names, nationalities and positions 6) map indicating the location of the company 7) Balance sheet, statement of Income Tax and Business Tax (Por Ngor Dor 50 and Por Ngor Dor 30) of the latest year 8) Alien income tax return (Por Ngor Dor 91) and 9) Value-added tax registration (Por Ngor Dor 20) , etc.("B")