accessories for street biking

h90

I hibernate the last 15-20 years......what do I need additional to a bicycle these days?

In my days:

Lock pedals and on the shoes is a plate mounted with 3 screws: Still the same?

A tachometer with the magnet on the wheel and on the crank for the rpm you do with the legs...

a trouser with leather or some synthetic inlay. Still the leather around or everything synthetic now?

gloves

glasses

some good racing TShirt in neither yellow or red so no political activist kills you.....

spare tire?

Wear yellow. It's clearly visible in all light conditions, and no-one is going to think it's a political statement. Especially if you have reflective stripes on it.

I use my smartphone for the tachographing. THere are plenty of free apps.

A saddlebag or small rucsac for basic tools, spare inner tube, pump, sandwiches, a couple of cans of beer...

Padlock.

SC

i always carry a little money, 2 spare tubes, pump, water,phone, it does'nt take a lot of room up and it can save you a lot of problems, the accessories are more personal taste and needs i wear padded shorts, tshirt, helmet, cycling shoes but without clips, but as i say its about your own personal needs and taste.

Wear yellow. It's clearly visible in all light conditions, and no-one is going to think it's a political statement. Especially if you have reflective stripes on it.

I use my smartphone for the tachographing. THere are plenty of free apps.

A saddlebag or small rucsac for basic tools, spare inner tube, pump, sandwiches, a couple of cans of beer...

Padlock.

SC

the yellow/red was more a joke.....but who knows what fanatics are on the street.

spare inner tube, pump or CO2 inflator.....: I have to buy that.

Cans of beer: Of course, but won't they get warm?

Whatever colour you buy, cover every piece of exposed skin. Get one of those girly scarves that goes round your neck too.

Sure on the beginning.....I want to get a bit brown, but the risk of burning off the skin is much higher than in Europe.....

Sure on the beginning.....I want to get a bit brown, but the risk of burning off the skin is much higher than in Europe.....

cyclist-tan-lines.png

Remember to wear the same jersey/shorts size each time you go out biking. Those tan lines need to be kept perfectly sharp for proper cyclist's etiquette. :D

Cheers, CM-Expat

• Like 2

cyclist-tan-lines.png

Remember to wear the same jersey/shorts size each time you go out biking. Those tan lines need to be kept perfectly sharp for proper cyclist's etiquette. biggrin.png

Cheers, CM-Expat

yes I always looked like that.....on the arms almost black and torso milk white. That is how a cyclist must look like biggrin.png

I'm thinking of going out in my high-viz vest. I'm hoping that will give me a waffle-grid tan...

Actually, because I wear a backpack, I won't, but I am hoping that the vest will prevent the sweat wicking into my backpack and destroying the cardboard boxes for the inner tubes. I keep meaning to go back to the cycle shop that had a slightly bigger saddle bag (still not big enough for the sandwich and a couple of cans of beer, though), but the price made my eyes water, and I'm normally passing before they open, I think at eleven.

SC

I'm thinking of going out in my high-viz vest. I'm hoping that will give me a waffle-grid tan...

Actually, because I wear a backpack, I won't, but I am hoping that the vest will prevent the sweat wicking into my backpack and destroying the cardboard boxes for the inner tubes. I keep meaning to go back to the cycle shop that had a slightly bigger saddle bag (still not big enough for the sandwich and a couple of cans of beer, though), but the price made my eyes water, and I'm normally passing before they open, I think at eleven.

SC

With the head in the sun, I get partially blond when biking a lot, while the remain keeps a dark brown. Everyone thought I color my hair....

Hands, partially brown partially white from the gloves, looks strange. But that is the way it must be biggrin.png

In the shop I was yesterday, they had a water bottle, which guarantee keep the drink inside cold for 2 hours. Great for us European, so we can keep the white wine cool, the normal bottle is only suitable for red wine.

(I recall on a training we once stopped and drank some wine somewhere at 2/3 of the way. The last 1/3 was the most horrible hard training unit I never want to feel again. We never did it again).

Actually I look for a normal water bottle which you can open with your teeth.....but "no have", only some high-tec ones.

• Like 1

SC

With the head in the sun, I get partially blond when biking a lot, while the remain keeps a dark brown. Everyone thought I color my hair....

Hands, partially brown partially white from the gloves, looks strange. But that is the way it must be biggrin.png

In the shop I was yesterday, they had a water bottle, which guarantee keep the drink inside cold for 2 hours. Great for us European, so we can keep the white wine cool, the normal bottle is only suitable for red wine.

(I recall on a training we once stopped and drank some wine somewhere at 2/3 of the way. The last 1/3 was the most horrible hard training unit I never want to feel again. We never did it again).

Actually I look for a normal water bottle which you can open with your teeth.....but "no have", only some high-tec ones.

Head in sun. go blond? You mean no helmet? not good idea here.

Get a small Zebra flask, put some ice in too, stays cold all day.

Can get cheap water bottles from Big C.- don't look in cycle department, look elesewhere

SC

Can get cheap water bottles from Big C.- don't look in cycle department, look elesewhere

I always went without helmet, but well that was in Europe......I hate helmet, but well maybe I should rethink that. Or Mrs. h90 is forcing it on me, anyway....

2 reasons you need helmet here... first, this is not Europe, there are many holes in the road and often have dirt (easy to slide). A few weeks ago a I followed a guy who hit a hole and went head first into a ditch. Second, the sun on your head ...seriously, it can make you very sick. Ever wondered why most Thais go biking at dawn?

SC

I always went without helmet, but well that was in Europe......I hate helmet, but well maybe I should rethink that. Or Mrs. h90 is forcing it on me, anyway....

The roads are more unpredictable here, and the drivers too.

Even if you're not going quickly, it's easy to bang your head; and you don't want to be lying stunned on the road, you want to be getting up and getting out the way as quick as you can!

SC

I have a small logo on the back of my hands and a band around my knees but nothing else gets brown even though I ride during the middle of the day.

I think it depends where you are. I'm down south and cannot go biking after 11am without covered skin and lots of sun block. Of course it depends if you burn quickly too. I have many Thai friends here biking and they cover everything, including a scarf round the face.

I have a small logo on the back of my hands and a band around my knees but nothing else gets brown even though I ride during the middle of the day.

I think it depends where you are. I'm down south and cannot go biking after 11am without covered skin and lots of sun block. Of course it depends if you burn quickly too. I have many Thai friends here biking and they cover everything, including a scarf round the face.

Yes, I look more like a Thai when I ride.

New%2520Look%2520%2520008.jpg

Edited by villagefarang
  • Like 2

I dislike a helmet, I can handle the sun.....But the street conditions and unpredictable drivers and maybe dogs crossing are really arguments I can't ignore....

You guys are absolute right (I don't like to admit it)...helmet it will be xsad.png.pagespeed.ic.5zxzyGiJz0.png

Thanks for putting some common sense into me.....

Yes, I look more like a Thai when I ride.

New%2520Look%2520%2520008.jpg

very nice!!! As long as you don't go in the night....Thais would believe a ghost bicycle goes without rider biggrin.png