Branston pickle. Where to buy?

casualbiker

Ok cool. I thought I saw big jars in Makro Hua hin once as well. Might make a trip to the seaside to check.

i will be checking makro in korat,got to have some for xmas,cold ham,chicken,pork and cheese.

but i have visitors in march,branston in the squeezy fingy on my list.

Ok cool. I thought I saw big jars in Makro Hua hin once as well. Might make a trip to the seaside to check.

i will be checking makro in korat,got to have some for xmas,cold ham,chicken,pork and cheese.

but i have visitors in march,branston in the squeezy fingy on my list.

Nooooo! don't do it. Branston in a squeezy fingy is a sacrilege and an abomination.

You need friends in low places, the sort that shop at ASDA, and are coming over soon. They occasionally do 760g jars for a quid!

Edited by BaldPlumber
  • Like 1

Villa usually has it. It's rather expensive, though. From memory, 200 Baht for a small jar.

I'm addicted to the stuff, and bring back several large jars each year from my return trips to the UK which I ration myself with over the ensuing months. I won't pay the Thai price for it, which I consider extortion.

So you are not addicted to it, if you were price does not matter.

• Like 1

Villa usually has it. It's rather expensive, though. From memory, 200 Baht for a small jar.

I'm addicted to the stuff, and bring back several large jars each year from my return trips to the UK which I ration myself with over the ensuing months. I won't pay the Thai price for it, which I consider extortion.

So you are not addicted to it, if you were price does not matter.

AyG is using what is commonly called a 'figure of speech'.

Edited by asdecas

i gotta' try these "branston pickles" myself one day to see what the fuss is about.

i think most people from the uk could live on branston pickles and walker's crisps.

not that there's anything wrong with it, but uk folks are definitely true to their favorite brands of food.

• Like 1

Make your own. All the ingredients are readily available in Thailand and it takes about 10 minutes.

That's a great idea apart from:

(1) The recipe has never been published, so it's not possible to replicate

(2) Published recipes such as http://www.food.com/recipe/the-almost-original-branston-pickle-recipe-246675 which claim to copy it contain a lot of ingredients which are hard to obtain (and expensive) in Thailand such as swede, dates, courgettes, gherkins, malt vinegar, allspice, cayenne pepper. If you buy that lot it's going to be much more expensive than buying a jar ready made.

(3) It would take several hours to make, what with all the chopping followed by a couple of hours cooking and stirring.

(4) And even when you're done cooking you need to leave it to mature for several weeks before you can eat it.

Make your own. All the ingredients are readily available in Thailand and it takes about 10 minutes.

That's a great idea apart from:

(1) The recipe has never been published, so it's not possible to replicate

(2) Published recipes such as http://www.food.com/recipe/the-almost-original-branston-pickle-recipe-246675 which claim to copy it contain a lot of ingredients which are hard to obtain (and expensive) in Thailand such as swede, dates, courgettes, gherkins, malt vinegar, allspice, cayenne pepper. If you buy that lot it's going to be much more expensive than buying a jar ready made.

(3) It would take several hours to make, what with all the chopping followed by a couple of hours cooking and stirring.

(4) And even when you're done cooking you need to leave it to mature for several weeks before you can eat it.

and.....

(5) However well you have followed the instructions it will still not taste like the REAL thing.

Chiang Mai, Rimping have it at a fiver a jar. Not for me at that price. I haven't had for ten years. That will change next week when my friend from England is bringing me some. Yehoooooooo!!!

Then you won't pay the price for cheese to go with it. biggrin.png

• Like 2