'Dhammocracy' envisaged by reform group

webfact

IN PARALLEL WITH NRC
'Dhammocracy' envisaged by reform group

Kesinee Taengkhiao
The Nation

Academics, some NRC folk in new institute

BANGKOK: -- To leverage rising public awareness of the reform movement, a group of noted academics and reformers yesterday pledged to push for reform ideologies that would transform the country's democracy into a "dhammocracy", or democracy based on Buddhist philosophies and principles.

Sangsit Piriyarangsan, an academic and chairman of the new Thailand Reform Institute (TRI) said the it would work in parallel with the National Reform Council (NRC) to consider reform ideas and check the government's implementation of reform. "We will act as a mirror to reflect public opinion on certain reform issues."

Sangsit and Suriyasai Katasila, the institute's director, held a press conference on the objectives of the institute in developing the country under "dhamm-ocratic" principles and strengthening citizen politics and political innovation.

"The strength of the community and people is the key to successful reform,'' Sangsit said. The TRI will monitor legislation of organic laws for the constitution, elimination of outdated laws and deletion of laws blocking reform.

The institute has 19 members and six advisers. Some are NRC members and top academics and activists, such as for NRC members Rosana Tositrakul, Poldej Pinprateep, Anek Laothamatas, Niran Pitakwatchara, Banjerd Singkaneti, Banjong Nasae, Sirichai Mai-ngarm and Pipop Thongchai.

"When it comes to reform ideas, the institute may have different opinions from those presented by the NRC," he said.

The institute would discuss ideas gathered from civic groups, which have been debating ideas on different issues. Once the TRI agrees on reform ideas, it would forward them to the NRC.

Since the NRC gathers most of its reform ideas from bureaucrats, the institute would draw ideas from civic groups. The NRC may not necessarily agree with proposals presented by the institute.

"We may present another side of the coin or different view or outlook and this will help the NRC to receive well-rounded information,'' he said.

"The National Council for Peace and Order must not block or hamper our activities and should not view our work as an anti-government movement since it has made reform the country's top agenda item, so it must brainstorm with all sectors of society," he said.

The TRI is expected to meet every two weeks and would hold a meeting of its network in mid-November.

Suriyasai said some NRC members were institute members because they joined the founders' initiative in setting up the institute before the NRC came into existence. "This would not pose any problems for us in driving the institute's philosophies and meeting our objectives."

The institute received funding from Rangsit University, which supports the meeting venues. The institute has also raised funds by organising seminars.

Sangsit said the NCPO and NRC should establish a mechanism to ensure sustainable reform since the process cannot be completed in one year. The TRI's long-term vision is to push for a dynamic reform process so the public can adjust and cope with the changes.

"We aim to instil youth with political awareness so that we have them as our new alternative to escape from the vicious circle of politics and a failed education system," he said.

Pipop said TRI should point out strengths and weaknesses of previous charters from 1997 and 2007.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Dhammocracy-envisaged-by-reform-group-30246297.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-10-27

So the country will become vegetarian and teetotal?

You forgot to mention the vows of poverty, and chastity, kindness and enlightenment.

Got about as much chance of that happening as Suthep and Thaksin kissing and cuddling while holding hands singing Kumbaya, and Suthep becoming a monk, OOOP's, shaving your head and wearing an orange robe dose not change the man inside.

• Like 2

Most Thais don't even know what Dhamma is; in fact I don't even know of 1 single person who is not a monk who can read or speak Pali (apart from the brainwashed odd school chant), or has any iota of Dhamma and Buddhism.

Chainarong - appointed on 'merit'? (Freudian slap?) clap2.gif - Merit is only employed after great leaders are looking for a get out clause... giggle.gif

No thanks to a society like this as it is essentially what is place in a lot of Islamic countries already. It sounds like a nice idea until you realize it leads to stuff like women covering their faces and people being murdered for cheating on their wives.

No thanks to a society like this as it is essentially what is place in a lot of Islamic countries already. It sounds like a nice idea until you realize it leads to stuff like women covering their faces and people being murdered for cheating on their wives.

Most Thais don't even know what Dhamma is; in fact I don't even know of 1 single person who is not a monk who can read or speak Pali (apart from the brainwashed odd school chant), or has any iota of Dhamma and Buddhism.

A lot of Thais follow a very odd almost Christian like version of Buddha but there is a large amount of Thais who understand the true meaning of Buddhism your dismissal of an entire country is a bit much.

• Like 2

Chainarong - appointed on 'merit'? (Freudian slap?) clap2.gif - Merit is only employed after great leaders are looking for a get out clause... giggle.gif

get outta pattaya buddy.

I know many Thais who can read write Pali. Depends the circle you keep

• Like 1

"dhammocracy", or democracy based on Buddhist philosophies and principles.' ???

I think it would better be called a "Shamocracy" based on the principles of Shamu the Whale held in captivity to do tricks for the people in power.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Well this does not bode well, should anyone actually take this proposal seriously.

Especially for the 4 million Muslim Thais in the Southern Provinces! This proposal might radicalize the entire muslim population into an active insurgency.

It's never been translated? One cannot follow or even understand Dhamma without being able to read Pali? I don't actually pretend to know what the "devout" factor is with respect to Buddhism in Thailand, but I suspect at least some Thais might find your observation both overstated and a little insulting.

Just curious: what percentage of Thai males still enter the monkhood at some point in their lives? For those that do, their experience as a monk does not include anything to do with discussion of or indoctrination with Dhamma?

A return to such values in public life seems worthy of discussion, but actually making it happen is a little like putting the genie back in the bottle. Probably not going to happen. The theophobes can relax.

Edited by hawker9000
  • Like 2

It's great to see all these "Good People" raising so many valid arguments. A Dhammocracy would perhaps be run by that mad monk Suthep?

At this rate, the NCPO will have good reason to postpone the election for a few more years.

Maybe this is what they want - it's their turn to run the country and they haven't finished feeding yet.

• Like 2

It's never been translated? One cannot follow or even understand Dhamma without being able to read Pali? I don't actually pretend to know what the "devout" factor is with respect to Buddhism in Thailand, but I suspect at least some Thais might find your observation both overstated and a little insulting.

Just curious: what percentage of Thai males still enter the monkhood at some point in their lives? For those that do, their experience as a monk does not include anything to do with discussion of or indoctrination with Dhamma?

A return to such values in public life seems worthy of discussion, but actually making it happen is a little like putting the genie back in the bottle. Probably not going to happen. The theophobes can relax.

Concept and reality are two completely different things.

Part of my work includes staying at temples, teaching Phra and Phramaha.

As for the shaving of head, to go and stay in a temple as a youngster - most of it is image, and little indeed is learnt about Dhamma and its truest principles. It is a show of face, for the record, as is the military service requirement.

I never said it's never been translated - if you want to, the Pali scripture translations are easily found on Google, both in Thai and English.

Questions in return: How many monks do you think don't eat after 12pm midday until next morning? I can give you a hint; zero!

When's the last time you stayed at a wat for a week?

Edited by Commerce
  • Like 2

It's great to see all these "Good People" raising so many valid arguments. A Dhammocracy would perhaps be run by that mad monk Suthep?

At this rate, the NCPO will have good reason to postpone the election for a few more years.

Maybe this is what they want - it's their turn to run the country and they haven't finished feeding yet.

Evidence of "feeding" sent it to the PM. dare ya.