Lexus Is250 Vs Bmw 325i

I saw in the Bangkok Post the article about the Lexus IS250. I previously saw the Lexus at the motorshow earlier this year and it is a very attractive vehicle.

However I'm wondering what its like on a day to day basis. The dilemma would be choosing either the more attractive and rarer Lexus or the more dynamic drive of the BMW. Comments?

I saw in the Bangkok Post the article about the Lexus IS250. I previously saw the Lexus at the motorshow earlier this year and it is a very attractive vehicle.

However I'm wondering what its like on a day to day basis. The dilemma would be choosing either the more attractive and rarer Lexus or the more dynamic drive of the BMW. Comments?

I owned the last model 3-series and liked it a lot.

Between the two I'd go for the BMW. More dealers to choose from, more street-cred, and it gets better reviews in the auto mags.

Edited by Crash999

• 2 weeks later...

macburriram

Edited by macburriram

• 1 year later...

I owned the last model 3-series and liked it a lot.

Between the two I'd go for the BMW. More dealers to choose from, more street-cred, and it gets better reviews in the auto mags.

I had the last model 3 series too and loved it, but I'm a dyed in the wool beemer fan, as I've owned several 3s and 7s. I've also owned an LS, but never driven the IS250. In Thailand, you'd be better off with the beemer from a resale point of view as well as "street cred" as mentioned. However, if you were only concerned about the drivability, if it were for driving in bangkok, I'd rather have the smoother ride of a Lexus.

Edited by chinthee

BMW have either just done it or are about to upgrade the 3 series - new engines are coming and the 325 is likely to get a stronger, way better engine. They are also about to commence using the excellent diesels in the 3 series - might be worth asking at the local dealer exactly whats coming up and when.

BMW have either just done it or are about to upgrade the 3 series - new engines are coming and the 325 is likely to get a stronger, way better engine. They are also about to commence using the excellent diesels in the 3 series - might be worth asking at the local dealer exactly whats coming up and when.

I thought that BMW had upgraded all their engines, that is true of those in the 5-series, no reason to suppose that the 3-series has had similar treatment, just ask. We bought a 520D about three months ago and its really is quick, loads of torque, roomy and very fugal.

It came from Europa Motor Co in BK. The manager at the garage is excellent, definately worth a talk to. They have two garages, we used the one in Sirinthorn Road, Bangphat, 02 881 0111 (maybe spelling is wrong)

Edited by John45

During my years in Thailand I have had:

1. Saab 9-3 (great car, great service at petchburi Rd. expensive spare parts)

2. Mazda 323 (bought for ex-girl friend, felt like driving a pepsi can on wheels)

3. Ford Pick-Up truck (used to transport heavy items, again pepsi can on wheels)

4. Lexus ES 300 (3 month affair, never again....)

5. Peugot 506 (smoothest ride over bumps)

6. BMW 5 series (driving now, never anything else again other than a newer one when a new model comes out)

7. Jeep Cherokee (Great car....but the patrol usage....)

8. Volvo V40, T4 (nothing but problems with the bangkok heat and HPT)

And I must admit that once driving BMW, you dont want to get back to anything else....

Have a test drive at any BMW dealer. You can book a test drive online. They will come to see you at your office or home! I think you can do the same with the lexus..

Japanese make great looking cars, however driving them doesn't even come close to BMW.. Maybe in 10 years from now they will have discovered the secret.

As for Benz.. well, enough said...

Remind me again, a Lexus is better than a Camry, how?

A Lexus is MUCH better than a Camry...but, only in a place where the price differential is reasonable. That means the US, Europe, but not Thailand. I agree, in Thailand, buy a Camry, not a Lexus. BMW is a different comparison. There is no locally produced car that competes with BMW except itself.

BMW 3-series has a street creed of a shopping car in Thailand.

325 must be ok, though. On paper IS250 still has 60 HPs more, I think, which is quite a lot - about 30% more power.

Not many people here will notice that it's 325 and will assume that it's just another girl who can't drive, or park, or overtake, or keep up with the traffic. Pickup trucks pay absolutely no respect to them as now they are faster and more powerful than most beemers.

By comparison IS250 is a head turner, and the interior is also so much more modern. The price is about 3.3 mil, if I remember correctly, on par with 325.

For those of you into hard number comparisons, the Consumer Satisfaction awards were just announced today in the USA. Lexus won again as against all cars with 87 points. BMW was second with 86. Toyota came in a 84, less than many American and other brands. Merc, who cares.

All worthless in Thailand. In Thailand, perception counts more than reality. Merc #1, BMW #2 and everything else less than that.

Enjoy.

When I left Hong Kong in 2000 to move full time to Thailand, I had 3 cars to sell: a Mercedes Kompressor, a Porsche Carrera, and a Korean minivan (ok, don't ask).

I sold the Merc within virtually hours. The Porsche went quickly too. The minivan went in about a month. If I had had a Lexus, it would have sold very slowly and at low price. Not fair.

Not only Thailand, but other places in Asia are not reality with the real value of cars. Lexus is probably the best car in the world, but not in markets like Hong Kong or Thailand. Can't sell them. Shame really, but face reality.

"More dynamic drive of the BMW"? You haven't driven the IS250, have you? It has all the same luxuries as the Bimmer, and its drive is plenty dynamic, as long as you turn off the traction control nanny. And as far as build quality and durability goes, Since its inception, Lexus has won every year but three in the US Consumer Reports as most reliable car brand -- of all international brands (and of course domestic brands, no contest there). These results are based not on brand prejudice or viceral appeal, but the stats on parts replaced, breakdowns, etc. Don't dis the Lexus, it is a fine automobile. Of course the earlier posterhad it right that if you want the street cred (and want to be the same as every other mindless tosser out there), then go for the BMW and give in to the ignorance of the herd. Not to say that the BMW is junk, it is not -- but a thinking man bases his decision on the car, not what brand whores think of it.

And if you really want dynamic, go for the IS350, the same basic car with 300 horses instead of 204.

Pickups faster than most BMWs!

I'm talking about Thai roads, not western showrooms.

In the US 320 is not even on sale.

Thai BMW is not the same company as you know it in the West. Here they brought 318 back because chicks like the looks better.

There was an interview with one of their top managers not long time ago - some Thai boy who has hardly weened off his milk bottle and diapers. Last I heard he's gone already.

BMW's sort of made sense in the nineties when you could have one for just over a million. Now it starts at 2.5 million for less power than any of the pickups.

Drivers give it a miss in favour of Subarus and Evos or modified Nissans, BMW is an overpriced girls ride.

At Lexus, on the contrary, it's a company policy to never lower specs to suit particular markets. They don't want to dillute brand image (it's not strong enough yet).

What total crap. 3.3Mil buys you a 7 series in the USA! Stupid and disgusting prices in Thailand for a shitty little 3 series. I wouldn't even piss on such a car for such prices.

In Thailand, just buy Toyotas, Hondas and other boring economy cars cause your money doesn't buy <deleted> here!

What you say is true, 325 is a little beast, but my original point was that 325 could be easily mistaken for 320, and 320 is on par with pickups, or at least will try very hard to keep up in real world conditions.

My point was that there's no "image boost" from buying 325.

According to their websites Isuzu does 1-100 faster than BMW 318 - still the most popular models. I can't remember the exact numbers, it was a few months ago.

Also there are restrictions on what a bimmer can do on a Thai road. First, you'll never get a chance to go "off the mark" - it's almost always in gear acceleration, second, the space is limited, narrow powerband in pickups is still quite adequate for short spurts, third, the general surface conditions and the general traffic speed won't allow bimmers to reach high speeds and pickups behave ok under 150km/h.

320 drivers need to really apply themselves to beat pickups, if ever. That's not a problem with 325, or Is250, for that matter. They should be quite above the fray.

I'm not taking sides between these two cars, I just disagree that Bmw has some sort of a streed creed in Thailand.

Have you seen the commercials here with the really smug, fat cat polishing his bimmer and saying something like "You like it? Don't touch it, it's mine"

That's how they market it - it's not for drivers, it's for snobs to show off their spending power.

Edited by Plus

What total crap. 3.3Mil buys you a 7 series in the USA! Stupid and disgusting prices in Thailand for a shitty little 3 series. I wouldn't even piss on such a car for such prices.

In Thailand, just buy Toyotas, Hondas and other boring economy cars cause your money doesn't buy <deleted> here!

Absolutely.........................OK I have a Fortuner, but I reckon a Fortuner is pretty good value, when I was last living in the UK, I had a 735i BMW, it was a great car when everything was working.........................many times I had to take it to the BMW dealership in Royal Tunbridge Wells, and at 28 Pounds 50 Pence + VAT per hour just for the labour ( 18 years ago! )........it was an expensive car to own, but great when all was well.

Lexus is Toyota, they just don't call it a Toyota outside Japan, they call it a Lexus, in Japan, it's a Toyota.

Would I want a 3 Million + Baht BMW or a Toyota Fortuner and a House.......................................no contest. :o

Absolutely.........................OK I have a Fortuner, but I reckon a Fortuner is pretty good value, when I was last living in the UK, I had a 735i BMW, it was a great car when everything was working.........................many times I had to take it to the BMW dealership in Royal Tunbridge Wells, and at 28 Pounds 50 Pence + VAT per hour just for the labour ( 18 years ago! )........it was an expensive car to own, but great when all was well.

Lexus is Toyota, they just don't call it a Toyota outside Japan, they call it a Lexus, in Japan, it's a Toyota.

Would I want a 3 Million + Baht BMW or a Toyota Fortuner and a House.......................................no contest. :o

Yah, I'm with you. Idiot Thai status seekers will buy these though, so it's not really that stupid. however, I'm with you. I drive a Jazz VTEC and Vigo Prerunner. Would never have considered driving such shitty cars in Hong Kong, Europe or America.

Thai BMW is not the same company as you know it in the West. Here they brought 318 back because chicks like the looks better.

There was an interview with one of their top managers not long time ago - some Thai boy who has hardly weened off his milk bottle and diapers. Last I heard he's gone already.

BMW's sort of made sense in the nineties when you could have one for just over a million. Now it starts at 2.5 million for less power than any of the pickups.

Drivers give it a miss in favour of Subarus and Evos or modified Nissans, BMW is an overpriced girls ride.

At Lexus, on the contrary, it's a company policy to never lower specs to suit particular markets. They don't want to dillute brand image (it's not strong enough yet).

So I guess you are a fortuner driver. 5 5 5 5

BMW here is the same! They kicked out all BMW dealer out years ago as they where not giving the "known" BMW service. BMW took on all after kicking the rotten apples out.

BMW Thailand is the same as in europe. However I know of problems between BMW canada and America. (P.s. I am not from the USA)

Image? Who cares. I guess some people like to TRY to impress others with their toys, but some people simply don't care. I have a new car but would rather drive my Nissan pickup truck. It's normally covered with mud but I do have it washed sometimes.

BMW here is the same! They kicked out all BMW dealer out years ago as they where not giving the "known" BMW service. BMW took on all after kicking the rotten apples out.

BMW Thailand is the same as in europe. However I know of problems between BMW canada and America. (P.s. I am not from the USA)

They kicked off only their dealer - Yontrakit, though still use Yontrakit's assembly lines. There was no change at the company as far as I know, they just introduced new, BMW's own dealerships.

They are not as guilty of lowering specs as Benz, however.

The problem is the market - they can't sell "drivers car" image to less than 1% of the market, there's no such demand in that price bracket, those customers want status, not driving style.

325 is not as flashy as Lexus, it's not a status statement either, it's "reserved power" - that's how I personally view it.

Lexus is not the same as Japanese Toyotas, close, but not the same. JDM - Japanese Domestic Market models and specs are always higher than Toyotas built elsewhere, and Lexus takes the top of those.

Lexus doesn't offer 2.4 engine in RX, for example, while Japanese Toyota does (as in Harrier), and I'm not sure if Harrier is officially sold by Toyota anywhere outside Japan at all. Here it's available through independent, grey market.

I drive a 325i here in Thailand and apart from the outrageous prices, it's the perfect place to own a car with a bit of bite. Thailand is one of the few countries in the world where I can really drive it to it's full capasity! Most other countries I would be behind bars already! I'm not encuraging everyone to drive like mad men, but I do alot of driving between north/south and it's nice to be able to "enjoy" what's under your hood every once in a while...

Where in UK/states are you going to see what your car is made of?!

I really don't see the point in having a fast car anywhere else than Thailand.

Besides, it's not only the speed of the BM I enjoy, it's also the stability and safety!

And If I can afford it, why not?!

The people calling it stupid to buy a BMW in Thailand, simply can't afford one.