Lost sense of smell - Beast of a cold.

mommysboy

I have had a beast of a cold or adeno-virus or tonsillitis or whatever.

The symptoms are/have been, an extremely painful blocked nose, thick secretions now yellow, and painful maxilliary sinuses. Moderately sore throat and inflamed tonsils with small spots on them and the back of the throat which is red. I have had a very hot body and forehead. A bit of an upset stomach with vomiting last night. The worst of the symptoms are on one side of the face.

I guess it will go its course, but I am concerned because I have totally lost my sense of smell.

Hopefully it will come back soon. I just wondered if it is worth pursuing a course of medicine at this stage. Not something I fancy losing permanently.

You probably should get yourself checked out as pneumonia is always a lurking risk when symptoms get that severe.

If you want to try an anti-biotic, I use locally produced clones of AUGMENTIN: Cavumox, AMK, ect. All are a large, 1 gram tablet about 90% Amoxcillin and 10% some kind of Citrate that enhances it's absorption.

I usually get a couple of deep chest colds every year and this always works for me.

• Like 1

You probably should get yourself checked out as pneumonia is always a lurking risk when symptoms get that severe.

If you want to try an anti-biotic, I use locally produced clones of AUGMENTIN: Cavumox, AMK, ect. All are a large, 1 gram tablet about 90% Amoxcillin and 10% some kind of Citrate that enhances it's absorption.

I usually get a couple of deep chest colds every year and this always works for me.

I see your point. I'm no stranger to coughs after a cold, like you say when something is that severe it is only a matter of time, but so far chest not involved.

Any thoughts on the loss of smell never had such a severe symptom as this yet.

A few years ago I had a bad flu with very runny nose, I mean I had to blow my nose every 5 minutes for 10 hours straight. At some point I lost sense of smell (and taste), it took about 24 hours and then went back to normal.

• Like 1

Hello Mommysboy. Can I ask where are you located? There are several people I know here in Jomtien that are sick. They get a fever for a day or two and then they feel better. I ask because I usually catch whatever is going around the Jomtien area.

I guess it's the latest Jomtien plague. It is the season that is for sure.

• Like 1

I am in Surat. These things tend to happen in pockets of populations. Just an observation but since being in Thailand it appears to me that URTI are often much more painful than in UK and often a fever so much so that you wonder if it is flu. As you say it is the season. Yes some of us do seem to catch every one going.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 1 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

As always with my colds, I am left puzzled as to why my symptoms are so extreme, for instance the daughter has only had a standard sneezing cold, whereas I experienced a full blown head cold, tonsillitis and latterly now gastro enteritis. At least i seem to have avoided the cough and dreaded chest infection so far.

It really worries me though, and is really unpleasant too especially the puking, there's nothing in my bloodwork that ever indicates an immune problem and my health is generally ok. Not the sort of thing you want 2 or 3 times a year.

I suppose if there was anything that could be done to suppress extreme symptoms we would know about it but if someone has some suggestions or further input I would be grateful.

• Like 1

As always with my colds, I am left puzzled as to why my symptoms are so extreme, for instance the daughter has only had a standard sneezing cold, whereas I experienced a full blown head cold, tonsillitis and latterly now gastro enteritis. At least i seem to have avoided the cough and dreaded chest infection so far.

It really worries me though, and is really unpleasant too especially the puking, there's nothing in my bloodwork that ever indicates an immune problem and my health is generally ok. Not the sort of thing you want 2 or 3 times a year.

I suppose if there was anything that could be done to suppress extreme symptoms we would know about it but if someone has some suggestions or further input I would be grateful.

Well said. I wonder the same thing every year. Some say it gets better with time for them. I have had one or two tell me it's no better for them after living here for years. I guess everyone is different. It seems to me most get better with time. When I first moved here I use to have problems with frequent irregularity. Now it is much better. I suppose I am getting use to some of the bacteria around here.

Good Luck

Hello Mommysboy. Can I ask where are you located? There are several people I know here in Jomtien that are sick. They get a fever for a day or two and then they feel better. I ask because I usually catch whatever is going around the Jomtien area.

I guess it's the latest Jomtien plague. It is the season that is for sure.

When i was a teacher in Bkk we used to call it the Bangkok flu. Generally also called the 24 hour flu. it may be viral but personally I found over exertion and heat exhaustion to be more likely. Certainly I have avoided this now for a couple of years by moderating energy and keeping well hydrated with elocrytes such as ORS.

As to getting used to colds, when we move to a new area it's normal to get many more colds than normal for a while, but I think it is not possible to develop immunity to colds as such because the strains evolve, so whilst we become immune to one particular strain at one time, this does not confer immunity to the next one as it has likely mutated, but I do wonder whether some immunity is gained, enough at least to lessen severity, or get the immune system sparked up a bit.

When I lived in London I had a flu jab, and didn't have a single cold for a good 2-3 years, perhaps i just got lucky it shouldn't work in theory. I think the latest vaccine is out now. I think I'll have one, who knows might help!

But how to suffer colds better, without those awful chest coughs, or other add ons ? I simply don't know. the key I think is reducing mucous really as this is the carrier, inundating sinus cavities,dripping down from the nose, then on to voicebox, bronchials, etc. Whatever I use is about as useful as offering a sticking plaster to a man who has just had his foot run over by a tractor. Something like tamiflu might work but would be very unlikely to be prescribed for a common cold.

Women definitely tend to suffer less severe symptoms than men, and it is thought this is hormonal. I don't fancy gender change!!!

Thanks for posting your support. These things help carry us through.