Thailand plans more bicycle lanes at tourist sites

webfact

Thailand plans more bicycle lanes at tourist sites
By Digital Content

14143712698386-640x390x1.jpg

BANGKOK, Oct 27 -- In an effort to promote tourism in Thailand's provinces and encourage more people to ride bicycles, two ministries have assigned government agencies to gather information on safely designing and building bicycle lanes and tourism destinations, according to Soithip Trisuddhi, Permanent Secretary for Transport.

Ms Soithip said her ministry had met with the Tourism and Sports Ministry on building more bicycle lanes to give a boost to the provincial tourism industry and agreed to assign particular government agencies to compile essential information.

The Transport Ministry’s Department of Rural Roads has already built bicycle lanes in a number of provinces, she said, but not many people know about them due to lack of public relations.

The purpose of building bicycle lanes nationwide is for the public to enjoy good health by switching to ride bicycles instead of driving cars or motorcycles, conserve energy, strengthening family relationships and to develop tourism destinations.

Ms Soithip said a bicycle lane is planned to Hew Pla Kang, now popular among visitors and is on the way to Khao Yai in Saraburi province.

Meanwhile, the Department of Rural Roads plans to boost safety for celebrants on 11 bridges across the Chao Phraya River during the Loy Krathong Festival on November 6, said Chartchai Tipsunave, director-general of the department.

Mr Chartchai said the department has coordinated with Bangkok and provincial police for officers to patrol from 5.30pm to midnight on that day to facilitate the celebrations. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-10-27

And they use a photo of a bike lane with parked vehicles so that bikes can't use it. Waste of time and money in Thailand.

Sure is, and if it is not used as a car park, i'm sure food vendors will be happy to take up some space in/on it....

• Like 1

And who they think will respect these new lines ?

Here they park on the sidewalks and even on the pedestrian crossings ....

I have an idea, replace the lines on either of the of the bicycle lane with 3 foot high brick walls.

Yes, the only way to enforce it is to make the bike lanes inaccessible to cars. Law enforcement will only have a partial result (like the helmet laws), and for cyclists a partial result is the same as no enforcement at all.

How many remember that one of the few "official" bicycle paths in Bangkok runs down Sukhumvit between Asoke and Nana, odd sois side. I am serious. See http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/148763-sukhumvit-cycle-path/. If you look carefully you can still see bits of the lines delimiting the path. It runs through pedestrian bridges in places.

• Like 2

I'm very much in favour of more bicycle lanes as long as they're not on the pavements and I don't really care whether they get obstructed by other vehicles or not. What does appeal to me is that the more lanes they make available the less chance there is of those people bringing their bloody bikes onto the Skytrain and obstructing passengers standing area and the doors.

If they really want to encourage cycling they would ban motorbikes (except for special circumstances), for starters. Of course, this is not going to happen. They will continue to be used by a lazy populace for, often, frivolous purposes and, more often than not, illegally. Want me to list the different illegal ways motorbikes are used in Thailand?

Thailand's state of "development" could, morbidly, be quantified in terms of how many motorbikes it could put on the roads and sidewalks (and other creative places). Well-suited for a country that has a per capita GDP just 27% of the average, I suppose.

EoR (End of Rant)

Edited by MaxYakov

And how many tourists carry bikes with them when they travel?

Only the ones that need to carry them, of course - very few. I know what your point is, of course. But if tourists really wanted to ride bicycles in Thailand, there would be a robust bicycle rental industry, don't you think? Most of the tourists really don't want to ride bicycles any more than the Thai people want to, IMHO. I can't say I blame them under the circumstances.

Edited by MaxYakov

A picture that speaks a thousand words.

x14143712698386-640x390x1.jpg.pagespeed.

Yup, resembles the bike lane near Wong Wian Yai. I chose the sidewalk the several times I was there to reduce risk and maneuvering and because I wasn't in a hurry (to die or worse). Ironic, huh?

Edited by MaxYakov
  • Like 1

It's a shame it can't be made to work out. I would ride more if I felt I wasn't taking my life in my hands. However I think it is a mix filled with problems. You would have tourists on bikes not knowing where they were going, mixed in with tourists on foot no sure of where they were going mixed in with Thai's not caring where they were going.

• Like 1

Only the ones that need to carry them, of course - very few. I know what your point is, of course. But if tourists really wanted to ride bicycles in Thailand, there would be a robust bicycle rental industry, don't you think? Most of the tourists really don't want to ride bicycles any more than the Thai people want to, IMHO. I can't say I blame them under the circumstances.

I fully agree with you. There are already many expats who ride their bikes every day. Myself looking for to rent a bike for sometime do a ride.

Be interesting as 99% of the road users over here got no common sense whatsoever

What would you know about it? I've been on the road in Bangkok almost every day for almost 6 years and know that your statement a lot more than just exaggerated.

I actually have to give the Thais credit for dealing relatively effectively with a really difficult situation on the road. I often see a farang on a muscle bike thinking Sukhumvit road is a motoGP race track, however (Thai motorbikers not excluded from exhibitionism either). Of course they get away with it ... until their number comes up.

Most bikers i see are people who do their daily work-out.

The picture does not really show a tourist bike lane.

Smarter would be to advertise bikelanes for Thais going to work.

And design a signs prohibiting obstruction.

There are many bicycle rental business in CM.

I have no problems cycling in the m/c lane, but they are not well cared for so I often use an entire car lane.

Here in Pattaya they spent ages constructing motorbike lanes down the whole length of Siam Country Club road. I assume it was to ensure the flow of cars etc could take place more easily.

Over the years, these lanes have simply become full of pot-holes and sand washed down from the soi's. They are hardly used now, although I try to use the safe stretches.

I fear any attempt to introduce bike lanes is bound to fail.

By the way, I see from an earlier post someone suggested motor bikes are used for frivolous things. I go walking almost daily along the lake here and see many Thai's taking their dogs for a walk. Very commendable - but they are pottering alongside on a motor-bike.

If they really want to encourage cycling they would ban motorbikes (except for special circumstances), for starters. Of course, this is not going to happen. They will continue to be used by a lazy populace for, often, frivolous purposes and, more often than not, illegally. Want me to list the different illegal ways motorbikes are used in Thailand?

Thailand's state of "development" could, morbidly, be quantified in terms of how many motorbikes it could put on the roads and sidewalks (and other creative places). Well-suited for a country that has a per capita GDP just 27% of the average, I suppose.

EoR (End of Rant)

right, so when you succeed in banning motorcycles and forcing the bike riders to drive 40 year old piles of rust instead then do post up a rant saying you cant get anywhere in thailand any more as the roads are gridlocked..........