Was I wrong? Serviced item and delivery "dispute"

Jingthing

OK, a trivial matter I admit, but I'm curious whether I was wrong or not ... in Thailand style logic, not my logic (where I thought I was right).

OK so I visited a repair shop of an electronics type item and talked to the owner who spoke English. I explained the problem and what I thought needed to be done and he said bring it into the shop, it will cost 300 baht but more if a new part is needed (I was sure it wouldn't be).

He made it clear the service I requested needed to be done IN THE SHOP.

Fine.

So I said, can you please visit my home, pick up the rather HEAVY item, take it back, service it, and then deliver it back.

He was reluctant but then quoted what seemed a high price for the not very long distance for just a back and forth, 500 on top of the 300.

I confirmed twice this price was for BOTH WAYS, pick it up and later deliver it back, and I agreed.

So the service person comes out (not him) and I'm ready to hand over the item but he insists on testing it in my home. What I had thought was wrong with it and needed service was actually accurate. But ... surprise ... he was going to do the service in my home.

OK, that's fine ... get it over with. A 10 minute job, it turns out.

So at payment time, I figure I owe for the service and also for one half of the original delivery part of the deal. The service person doesn't agree ... so I say OK, let's call the owner and we can work it out. For some reason he doesn't want to call the owner. So I say here's 300 plus 1/2 the 500 and I threw in a tip, explaining the original agreement involved TWO trips. He is not fighting me now but I still think we should have talked to the owner to get the OK about it.

So he leaves and I'm thinking ... hmm ... maybe I did a bad thing and really did owe the original price.coffee1.gif

Edited by Jingthing

I believe you were right and acted accordingly BUT as you rightly comment, what happens next time you want something fixed ?...too busy ? or maybe hit you hard with the charge and recover it another way. That is what I suspect will happen, hope I am wrong.

I bought the item from the same shop so it's the logical place to go for future issues (but well past warranty). I have no way of knowing exactly what was communicated to the service person. I think obviously he was told the total price agreed to but what else I can't know. Obviously there was a major miscommunication about the absolute need to do the service in shop. From the "logic" POV, I think I see the case that I should have paid the full amount. That is because I had agreed somehow it was worth that much to me to get the result of a serviced machine. Why should it matter how many trips it takes? Just seeing the other side. I was surprised the guy didn't resist more ... if he had I would have insisted on talking to the owner and if the owner made it clear he thought I was wrong, I would have probably just paid it.

From the owner's POV, it would have been smart of him to state, our charge is 500 baht set for a service call whether we end up repairing on site or in shop. But he did no such thing.

No I won't be losing sleep over this and not sure I can really learn any lesson from it either. Having the agreement in writing wouldn't have made much of a difference because what actually happened wasn't what the guy clearly told me would happen.

Next!

Edited by Jingthing

If the owner spoke english, why didnt you call him yourself ?. you didnt need the serviceman's consent to do so.

I didn't see any point of doing so at the time, because as soon as I said lets call the owner, it was clear he didn't want me to bother (I have no idea why), and he then easily agreed to the price I had proposed as fair given the change in situation. He didn't seem angry or upset either. So why complicate things when the other party has very easily said YES? Later, I thought about it, and wondered if I was wrong about not just paying the original quote.

Oh well, dealing with service people can be an adventure anywhere in the world.

I think you should have paid him the full 500 for home-service. You wanted them to fix it from your home which they did.

OK. Fine.

It is true I originally asked for in home service but was clearly told that is not possible and that the proposed charge was based on TWO RT trips to my home.

At the time my logic made sense, but now I do see the other side.

The service part was always going to be just 300 set in house or not ... the additional 500 was related to the two outside calls.

Most likely a lost in translation kind of thing.

It's too minor a matter to discuss further and probably silly of me to post about it in the first place.

Edited by Jingthing

Yeah buying a counterfit TGAU from costas the service is always dodgy

what do you expect from a geezer who smashes plates, milks every mammal he can get his hands on, has pom pom's on his shoes and wears a skirt and long white socks to formal occassions ?

• Like 1

Should have taken it on the Baht Bus.

The Chariot of the Gods.

Too bulky to schlep, snookums.

Though I have taken large desktop towers "on da 'bus'" before!

Gary Glitter took his desktop to PC world and look what happened

• Like 1

Should have taken it on the Baht Bus.

The Chariot of the Gods.

Too bulky to schlep, snookums.

Though I have taken large desktop towers "on da 'bus'" before!

Gary Glitter took his desktop to PC world and look what happened
Behave.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1