Mini-Cooper Countryman

YangYaiEric

Hi All.

I am SERIOUSLY contemplating buying a new Mini-Cooper Countryman S All-4 SUV. I have read RAVE reviews about the car, seen some on the roads in BKK and Korat. To me, they look so desirable; easy to drive, lots of room inside, 5-door, 4WD, and can REALLY 'fly'.

At Bht. 3,000,000 for top-of-the range model, has anyone out there had any experience of owning and driving one in Thailand? Most interested in reading your comments!

Cheers!

Seriously, spending that much on a wanna be Cooper is crazy imo.

Its not a real suv.

Its not a real luxury car.

Its certainly not a real Cooper or mini.

No doubt the re sale value would be low.

I just can't see how for nearly 100k Au dollars its worth it??

Waste of money imo.

Its not a real suv.

Waste of money imo.

Not sure what you base your insinuations on. The Mini's are very popular in Thailand now. They share technology and platform with BMW. They are now produced locally (not every model) in the BMW factory.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Its not a real suv.

Waste of money imo.

Well, I'm not really interested in the re-sale value! And, how would you classify a SUV? or for that matter a luxury car?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Its not a real suv.

Waste of money imo.

Well, I'm not really interested in the re-sale value! And, how would you classify a SUV? or for that matter a luxury car?

Isn't a Porche Cayenne worth around the same?

Both luxury and suv.

Hey, if this is the car you want, then it makes you happy, then go for it!

As for performance, a Lancer evo or Subaru wrx would eat it.

As for luxury, hmm.

As for being an suv, no way it is.

Is it owned by BMW or Rover?...a nice Bmw would be better.

Like I said, imo its a crappy car for a lot of money. For sure a car the world would not miss and really didn't need.

Have you ever checked out the show Top Gear for their opinion on the car? They give a good unbiased view. Try youtube.

Its not a real suv.

Waste of money imo.

Not sure what you base your insinuations on. The Mini's are very popular in Thailand now. They share technology and platform with BMW. They are now produced locally (not every model) in the BMW factory.

A nice Bmw is better in every way.

A Bmw suv is better.

A Bmw M3 would eat a wanna be Cooper.

What's your point exactly?

Like I said no way you can compare a wanna be Mini to a decent Bmw.

Its not a real suv.

Waste of money imo.

You're in Thailand, any comparison to AU dollars or any other currency than Baht just makes no sense.

Its not a real suv.

Waste of money imo.

You're in Thailand, any comparison to AU dollars or any other currency than Baht just makes no sense.

Well do the conversion then chief.

Its not a real suv.

Waste of money imo.

Ummm please explain 3million baht and 100kaud buys exactly same thing in Thailand. More to the point is won't buy same in those two countries as an example only.

3mill baht here would get you a tidy studio in somewhere like Jomtien. Same in AU would get you a deposit.

That sort of money on a car esp in Thailand where the roads are rubbish and traffic crazy is just that ...CRAZY

What someone will pay for a car is very subjective. "Foreign" cars especially premium cars as we know cost a lot more in Thailand even if as in this caser they are assembled in a Thai factory. I am at the moment in the process of buying a 2.5m car which I am sure most posters on the board will tell me is poor value for money. If you like the car, have the cash in the bank and want to enjoy yourself go for it. If you have to watch every penny there are plenty of other options.

As for the Mini Countryman, not my cup of tea. I do not think it quite knows what it is. I wouldn't though trust Top Gear reviews as they are very opinionated. Plenty of others give it a better write up. If you want it buy it!

I drove a mini clubman in Europe before but never the countryman. I like their design but wrong car for Thailand for me. This is a sporty city car, not really an offroader/SUV/family type car. I guess that this is not the type of car you want to come across some flooded road etc. Also the price tag is a bit steep for me thinking that you could buy 3 top end pick ups or 2 real SUVs for the same price. But apart from that it's great car. Definitely thumbs up for its design.

Its not a real suv.

Waste of money imo.

Well do the conversion then chief.

Still a senseless comparison.

Mini Countryman......... guess so if you like it..

for the price for could buy 2 hot 4x4......... last weekend was open house as it were.

Subaru XV Sti มาถึงเมืองไทยแล้วน่ะค่ะ
ขออนุญาตเรียนเชิญลูกค้าและผู้ที่สนใจ Subaru XV ทุกท่าน

เสาร์ที่ 25 และ อาทิตย์ที่ 26 ตุลาคมนี้ ทางโชว์รูมเสรีไทย จัดงาน The Art of STi เปิดให้ชม Subaru XV STi Performance เป็นครั้งแรกในเมืองไทย พร้อมเปิดตัว XV 2.0i และ XV 2.0i-Sport รวมทั้งรุ่นอื่นๆ ด้วยข้อเสนอพิเศษสุด
เพียงมาเยี่ยมชมพร้อมลงทะเบียน รับของที่ละลึกสุดเท่ จาก STi พร้อมร่วมสนุกลุ้นรับของรางวัลจาก Major Cineplex และ Starbucks.ที่ Subaru เสรีไทย สำนักงานใหญ่

สิ้นสุดการรอคอย กับ Subaru XV STi Performance
ยานยนต์ Crossover สไตล์สปอร์ต ที่มาพร้อมกับความแรง
ด้วยเครื่องยนต์ Boxer สูบนอน 2.0 ลิตร 150 แรงม้า
มั่นใจมากกว่า ด้วยระบบขับเคลื่อนสี่ล้อ Symmetrical AWD
พร้อมด้วย Strut Tower Bar ชุดแต่งจาก STi

Subaru XV STi Performance มาพร้อมกับชุดแต่งรอบคัน STi Perfomance อันเป็นเอกลักษณ์

I would say you should consider 3 important items first. The first thing is that they are assembled here in Thailand. Secondly the sat nav does not work in Thailand although there is reputed to be a third party "fix", reports suggest that that is problematic too.

Thirdly they are so f**king ugly and illustrates to others you have absolutely no taste !!!

The OP is asking for experiences not if he can afford it or is it worth it or not. Obviously money isn't the issue, its just if there is a better car.

Although countryman is not my cup of tea also, can't get use to the looks, some of my friends who owe it enjoys the car. So if you like the car from the first moment, you will probably love it no matter what. Diesel engine is a plus as that makes the car more reliable than normal petrol.

I am a MINI owner, so feel better informed than a lot of others to comment.

to people who say 'in my country I could buy a car 3X cheaper' indeed that is probably true; however if you can afford a decent car, then why not - also the depreciation here is far less than many other parts of the world in percentage terms, so it's not so bad. The same type of person would say why do I own a Panerai, IWC etc etc when a casio tells the time the same. Or why wine and dine an elegant aristocrat's charming daughter at Jean Georges (by Jean Georges) when you could eat half a plate of chicken fried rice and take someone home with you from the Thermae.

If you earn enough.....you can't take it with you so enjoy spending it.

As far as SUVs go, the Countryman for me is a bit of a 'mystery' car to me - the looks are love it or hate it - the performance is not close to a cooper S hatch which is a PEACH of a car - however the hatch is a mighty impractical car if you have 3 people in the car regularly, so the Countryman has a niche for MINI fans - good for family. Compared to a bunch of other SUVs, the Countryman, at least in the turboed hi-spec variant, it is fairly quick. Being genuine 4WD and a bit elevated off the road it probably does pretty well for itself.

That said, I don't like the looks, but you might. Anyone who tells you a MINI (or a BMW) is exceptionally reliable here is simply wrong. BMW are better than MINI and both are prone, like all European cars, to a few niggly problems mostly relating to the heat here (roofliner for example collapsing, wiring issues, issues sometimes with heavy water on the roads) and repairs and maintenance are more expensive than a Japanese car. This is the same for almost all Euro brands. How MINI and BMW get around it is with BSI or MINI maintenance all in for the first 50,000km. It's worth it. Although living far from a MINI dealership would not be a good thing; I had heard German Auto would open MINI in Korat, if this is true then that's a huge plus, and something that for me would put a Countryman ahead of the XV Subaru or similar. For my MINI I have replaced numerous parts numerous times to the point I am sure we are onto the 3rd or 4th part of some parts in the engine bay; now I also did modify the engine and I drive it like I stole it sometimes, but even so, MINI's reliability and quality of build are still partly British, rather than Germanic in terms of quality.

I think you may be confusing 2 similar models. The COuntryman SD (diesel) is 2.49m. I am not sure but believe the petrol guzzler Countryman S is being discontinued. The Paceman (which is a countryman with 3 doors instead of 5) is available as an S but is 3m. I would only consider a Countryman as a diesel, the joy of a MINI is in the bends, and a diesel is surprisingly decent while being fairly miserly on fuel; if you want straight out speed and better corning.....go for a Cooper S F56 (the NEW hatch).

3M is a high price when you consider the Countryman is probably midway through its life, the new engines that will come out soon enough will make the current model 'old', the hatch is costing less and will smoke a Countryman in terms of performance and it's a generation newer (learn the lingo, R53, R56, F56 is the current hatch). The entry level Countryman the Cooper (not the S (I think it is called that) is under 2m and is probably the better buy in terms of value for money. the Mazda CX5 is the logical choice in this market (better looking, well specced for a Japanese car), the Lexus NX is the more prestigious choice for similar money, the jacked up Benz GLA, aging X1 probably better if you want a car that looks like an SUV.

However, you aren't going to ever buy a MINI for logical reasons. Get in it, test drive one. You may love it. The one good thing for Countrymans is there are some good 2nd hand ones kicking around (although I would buy new myself). Steer clear of the Paceman, if you want a 3 door, get the hatch, it's a better car. If you need 5 doors, then get the countryman. The hatch is a 6.7sec 0-100km car. It handles like a dream. the Paceman, Countryman, whatever is an 8sec 0-100km car and handles more like a barge.

Unless you get a JCW, which will then be a grey market car; not sure I would go grey if I lived in Isaan.

Depreciation won't be too bad compared to a lot of the more exotic options. They are loved because people love how they look and perform. Irrespective of the questionable build quality and highish upfront price like most similar cars in the same category.

Note anyone who says cars built in Thailand are inferior to those imported....I don't really believe it, and my experience with a British made MINI and every single hatch owner I know says the same thing - they are not exactly well made.

BTW if you get a Countryman, go for the 3 seat bench seat, don't go for the stupid bucket seats in the back (I think they got rid of the rail up the centre of the car that was just idiotic MINI brainless stupidity).

If you can hang on another year, then new 5 door Hatch is the one that (if they build it here) would be the one to own; it is released imagewise here:
http://www.motoringfile.com/2014/08/07/minis-2015-2016-product-launches-revealed/#more-35879

supposedly this/next year.

Edited by steveromagnino

Mini Countryman......... guess so if you like it..

for the price for could buy 2 hot 4x4......... last weekend was open house as it were.

Subaru XV Sti มาถึงเมืองไทยแล้วน่ะค่ะ
ขออนุญาตเรียนเชิญลูกค้าและผู้ที่สนใจ Subaru XV ทุกท่าน

เสาร์ที่ 25 และ อาทิตย์ที่ 26 ตุลาคมนี้ ทางโชว์รูมเสรีไทย จัดงาน The Art of STi เปิดให้ชม Subaru XV STi Performance เป็นครั้งแรกในเมืองไทย พร้อมเปิดตัว XV 2.0i และ XV 2.0i-Sport รวมทั้งรุ่นอื่นๆ ด้วยข้อเสนอพิเศษสุด

เพียงมาเยี่ยมชมพร้อมลงทะเบียน รับของที่ละลึกสุดเท่ จาก STi พร้อมร่วมสนุกลุ้นรับของรางวัลจาก Major Cineplex และ Starbucks.ที่ Subaru เสรีไทย สำนักงานใหญ่

สิ้นสุดการรอคอย กับ Subaru XV STi Performance

ยานยนต์ Crossover สไตล์สปอร์ต ที่มาพร้อมกับความแรง

ด้วยเครื่องยนต์ Boxer สูบนอน 2.0 ลิตร 150 แรงม้า

มั่นใจมากกว่า ด้วยระบบขับเคลื่อนสี่ล้อ Symmetrical AWD

พร้อมด้วย Strut Tower Bar ชุดแต่งจาก STi

Subaru XV STi Performance มาพร้อมกับชุดแต่งรอบคัน STi Perfomance อันเป็นเอกลักษณ์

No disrespect....but the XV STI is as hot as a cold beer.... it has exactly the same power as the normal XV (or please correct me if I am wrong), so all STI this time stands for is some added body parts, cosmetics only. It is a shame, because i kind of like the looks, but this 2.0 boxer doesn't do it for me in standard form. If they would bring the diesel or something with a bit more oomph....yeah....like.

I would say you should consider 3 important items first. The first thing is that they are assembled here in Thailand. Secondly the sat nav does not work in Thailand although there is reputed to be a third party "fix", reports suggest that that is problematic too.

Thirdly they are so f**king ugly and illustrates to others you have absolutely no taste !!!

As the saying goes; "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder!"

I beg to differ on your last statement sir, to me the design is sheer elegance! :-)

to people who say 'in my country I could buy a car 3X cheaper' indeed that is probably true; however if you can afford a decent car, then why not - also the depreciation here is far less than many other parts of the world in percentage terms, so it's not so bad. The same type of person would say why do I own a Panerai, IWC etc etc when a casio tells the time the same. Or why wine and dine an elegant aristocrat's charming daughter at Jean Georges (by Jean Georges) when you could eat half a plate of chicken fried rice and take someone home with you from the Thermae.

If you earn enough.....you can't take it with you so enjoy spending it.

As far as SUVs go, the Countryman for me is a bit of a 'mystery' car to me - the looks are love it or hate it - the performance is not close to a cooper S hatch which is a PEACH of a car - however the hatch is a mighty impractical car if you have 3 people in the car regularly, so the Countryman has a niche for MINI fans - good for family. Compared to a bunch of other SUVs, the Countryman, at least in the turboed hi-spec variant, it is fairly quick. Being genuine 4WD and a bit elevated off the road it probably does pretty well for itself.

That said, I don't like the looks, but you might. Anyone who tells you a MINI (or a BMW) is exceptionally reliable here is simply wrong. BMW are better than MINI and both are prone, like all European cars, to a few niggly problems mostly relating to the heat here (roofliner for example collapsing, wiring issues, issues sometimes with heavy water on the roads) and repairs and maintenance are more expensive than a Japanese car. This is the same for almost all Euro brands. How MINI and BMW get around it is with BSI or MINI maintenance all in for the first 50,000km. It's worth it. Although living far from a MINI dealership would not be a good thing; I had heard German Auto would open MINI in Korat, if this is true then that's a huge plus, and something that for me would put a Countryman ahead of the XV Subaru or similar. For my MINI I have replaced numerous parts numerous times to the point I am sure we are onto the 3rd or 4th part of some parts in the engine bay; now I also did modify the engine and I drive it like I stole it sometimes, but even so, MINI's reliability and quality of build are still partly British, rather than Germanic in terms of quality.

I think you may be confusing 2 similar models. The COuntryman SD (diesel) is 2.49m. I am not sure but believe the petrol guzzler Countryman S is being discontinued. The Paceman (which is a countryman with 3 doors instead of 5) is available as an S but is 3m. I would only consider a Countryman as a diesel, the joy of a MINI is in the bends, and a diesel is surprisingly decent while being fairly miserly on fuel; if you want straight out speed and better corning.....go for a Cooper S F56 (the NEW hatch).

3M is a high price when you consider the Countryman is probably midway through its life, the new engines that will come out soon enough will make the current model 'old', the hatch is costing less and will smoke a Countryman in terms of performance and it's a generation newer (learn the lingo, R53, R56, F56 is the current hatch). The entry level Countryman the Cooper (not the S (I think it is called that) is under 2m and is probably the better buy in terms of value for money. the Mazda CX5 is the logical choice in this market (better looking, well specced for a Japanese car), the Lexus NX is the more prestigious choice for similar money, the jacked up Benz GLA, aging X1 probably better if you want a car that looks like an SUV.

However, you aren't going to ever buy a MINI for logical reasons. Get in it, test drive one. You may love it. The one good thing for Countrymans is there are some good 2nd hand ones kicking around (although I would buy new myself). Steer clear of the Paceman, if you want a 3 door, get the hatch, it's a better car. If you need 5 doors, then get the countryman. The hatch is a 6.7sec 0-100km car. It handles like a dream. the Paceman, Countryman, whatever is an 8sec 0-100km car and handles more like a barge.

Unless you get a JCW, which will then be a grey market car; not sure I would go grey if I lived in Isaan.

Depreciation won't be too bad compared to a lot of the more exotic options. They are loved because people love how they look and perform. Irrespective of the questionable build quality and highish upfront price like most similar cars in the same category.

Note anyone who says cars built in Thailand are inferior to those imported....I don't really believe it, and my experience with a British made MINI and every single hatch owner I know says the same thing - they are not exactly well made.

BTW if you get a Countryman, go for the 3 seat bench seat, don't go for the stupid bucket seats in the back (I think they got rid of the rail up the centre of the car that was just idiotic MINI brainless stupidity).

If you can hang on another year, then new 5 door Hatch is the one that (if they build it here) would be the one to own; it is released imagewise here:

http://www.motoringfile.com/2014/08/07/minis-2015-2016-product-launches-revealed/#more-35879

supposedly this/next year.

FINALLY ! an actual mini-cooper owner! Thank you sir for your invaluable comments. You certainly know a thing or two about the mini-cooper! Are you perchance residing in the Korat area?

One of the attractions I find with the Countryman is it's elevated rear, compared with the other mini models..

A nice Bmw is better in every way.

A Bmw suv is better.

A Bmw M3 would eat a wanna be Cooper.

What's your point exactly?

Like I said no way you can compare a wanna be Mini to a decent Bmw.

The original (BMW) is better, yes ;)

A new M3 is not 3 million though... whistling.gif

Never driven a Countryman yet, but own a Mini....! Love it, but it is not my every day car. The hatchback, especially in JCW or upgraded form is certainly a rather "hard" ride, so might not work on some not so good streets, of which we do have quite a lot in Thailand.

The Countryman of course should be better in that.

They are fun, they are different, they do have character and they do have flaws and quite a few of them. Some flaws make the character, some I truly rather would not like to have.

All in all, if you are looking for a dead reliable car, where nothing goes wrong in 5 years of ownership, maybe better look into Japanese. Mini and many European manufacturers have more issues than the Japanese cars. I guess it is weather related to some part.

If the fun is not that great in a Countryman, then indeed maybe a CX-5 would be quite ok.

FINALLY ! an actual mini-cooper owner! Thank you sir for your invaluable comments. You certainly know a thing or two about the mini-cooper! Are you perchance residing in the Korat area?

One of the attractions I find with the Countryman is it's elevated rear, compared with the other mini models..

Not in Korat, I'm in Bangkok, Frankphuket is another Mini owner, in Phuket, and he figures out the servicing etc, Korat isn't so tough as it's only a short drive really into the 'big mango'.

There is a dealer of MINI in Khon Kaen but if I was buying in BKK I would go with either German Auto (first) or Millenium (2nd) mostly because I've dealt with both of them, your experience may vary however. If you cannot justify the price premium and haven't really got access to service, then getting a 'grey' Countryman or a 2nd hand one is likely ok, however if you go grey, check the title very carefully, and whatever you save when you buy it, you lose when you sell it (CarMax Rama 9 is where I would consider to purchase grey). Usually can get more options with grey. This one is a grey 2nd hand one with a great number plate for instance:

http://www.taladrod.com/w20/Search/CarDet40.aspx?cib=1449411

If you are buying 2nd hand, only be a cash buyer, otherwise you are paying VAT on the finance amounts.

Indeed the Countryman is more of a gentlemanly height off the road, than the Hatch which as FP says is pretty firm and low.

As I said the GLA Benz is the other option; for similar money it's a newer model, looks good and goes probably ok; but it's a bit sluggish speed wise as it is only the 1.6 turbo, so similar engine.

Millennium will open there new outlet in Ubon around December.

I just changed the oil and filter on my 320D last week 3.500 baht for the Castrol oil and OEM filter. Millennium charges around 8000 baht so be prepared to fork out if using the main dealer for service and repairs.

Not in Korat, I'm in Bangkok, Frankphuket is another Mini owner, in Phuket, and he figures out the servicing etc, Korat isn't so tough as it's only a short drive really into the 'big mango'.

There is a dealer of MINI in Khon Kaen but if I was buying in BKK I would go with either German Auto (first) or Millenium (2nd) mostly because I've dealt with both of them, your experience may vary however. If you cannot justify the price premium and haven't really got access to service, then getting a 'grey' Countryman or a 2nd hand one is likely ok, however if you go grey, check the title very carefully, and whatever you save when you buy it, you lose when you sell it (CarMax Rama 9 is where I would consider to purchase grey). Usually can get more options with grey. This one is a grey 2nd hand one with a great number plate for instance:

http://www.taladrod.com/w20/Search/CarDet40.aspx?cib=1449411

If you are buying 2nd hand, only be a cash buyer, otherwise you are paying VAT on the finance amounts.

Indeed the Countryman is more of a gentlemanly height off the road, than the Hatch which as FP says is pretty firm and low.

As I said the GLA Benz is the other option; for similar money it's a newer model, looks good and goes probably ok; but it's a bit sluggish speed wise as it is only the 1.6 turbo, so similar engine.

Take a look here http://stage.thaicarlover.com/mercedes-benz-gla-brabus/45595

0 - 100 in 4.4 sec... would not call sluggish ? Guess will be pricey ?

Take a look here http://stage.thaicarlover.com/mercedes-benz-gla-brabus/45595

0 - 100 in 4.4 sec... would not call sluggish ? Guess will be pricey ?

The GLA was reviewed in the Bangkok Post last month. It does 0-100 in under 9 seconds which I don't call too sluggish for a SUV. The review makes some comparisons with the Mini Countryman amongst others which can be read here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/auto/review/433549/baby-benz-crossover

Have to admit I am not impartial here as I have ordered a GLA. May share my impressions when it arrives early next year

By sluggish I mean 0-100 in more than 8 sec. That for me is sluggish for a European sedan/hot hatch type car. perfectly acceptable for a diesel, acceptable for an SUV. I like to go fairly quick and I like to push the car around a little. So SUV is probably not the ideal type of car for me. I have a pickup for that sort of thing.

The GLA A45 4WD or Brabus tuned variant is likely something around 8-10m baht at least, and will not be available from an authorised dealer. Awesome car. But higher price than a Macan for only a Benz? It's not going to be a good car to buy here for sure.

The GLA 250 4WD is a 2 litre turboed engine, that would be something 'not sluggish'. Also not available here. Lovely car though.

We have the GLA 200 FWD only. It's sluggish compared to an A250. It's not sluggish really for an SUV, but really it is a true crossover so it's a pity that the more powerful variants aren't available, however depends on what you want to use it for; compared to a CRV it's a rocketship. Looks very very nice also. But if it were me, and Benz didn't have such awful dual clutches, I would have bought and put the Brabus kit on the A250; it's already got no maintenance so might as well modify it and really spank it like you stole it.

But the test drive and the simply awful gear box in it would have done my head in.

Incidentally, not a huge fan of the slush boxes in the MINI autos either.