Bangkok: Doctor of British woman who died in surgery clinic unlicensed

webfact

Doctor of British woman who died in surgery clinic unlicensed

By Coconuts Bangkok

spclinic_0.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The doctor of a young British woman who died on the surgery table Thursday did not have a valid license to perform surgery.

Authorities found Sompop Saensiri, 51, the doctor at SP Clinic in the Huai Kwang district, only held a general medical license. His clinic faces closure for 60 days.

Sompop has been charged with criminal negligence in the death of the 24-year-old British patient, who reportedly went back the clinic to have implants to her buttocks removed due to bleeding from the treatment.

He denies the charges.

She died under anaesthesia after the doctor successfully removed the implants.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2014/10/27/doctor-british-woman-who-died-surgery-clinic-unlicensed

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-10-27

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many doctors in Thailand, are licensed through the hospital they work in!

The same ones who can now bypass pharmacists when prescribing some seriously heavy duty meds? whistling.gif

Or was that change thrown out - I recall some loud protests?

I noticed that this was tightened up somewhat after the '06 coup. Valium etc became more difficult to acquire "under the counter", or in less places.

closed for 60 days after the owner, an unlicenced doctor operated there ilegally, should be closed permanently and be forced to pay out heaps but then the hi-so would lose too much money and face, that would simply be too much for a thai, after all, it was only another "farang"(sarcasm), Yet people wonder why this sort of sh*t keeps happening, simple answer, profits are more important than people

And not to forget that this was going on for years, in a place with 'high visibility', but nobody knew anything about this or ever suspected the 'good doctor', very hard to believe! Wouldn't it be important to know who financed this large operation, and who was all giving it protection? Fat chance it will ever been made public, or come to an official investigation, and forget to see it in front of a criminal court. 'Influential people', so, power, money, greed, corruption, crime... TiT, alas!

• Like 1

closed for 60 days after the owner, an unlicenced doctor operated there ilegally, should be closed permanently and be forced to pay out heaps but then the hi-so would lose too much money and face, that would simply be too much for a thai, after all, it was only another "farang"(sarcasm), Yet people wonder why this sort of sh*t keeps happening, simple answer, profits are more important than people

Hi-sos don't need to work as doctors but I agree with your point. Patients should check out the credentials of the doctor first. Then again there is a demand for cheap cosmetic surgery and there is a price to be paid for everything.

Less serious but I got a couple of laser tattoo removal sessions in Pattaya based clinic. Left me a bad scar due to too much power used. Also was ct-scanned for head trauma in Bkk Koh Chang clinic. Diagnosis: brain stroke and athrophy blink.png . Got seriously worried and went through complete magnetic scans and neurologic studies just to confirm nothing was wrong in the first place when I got back to my home country. Licenced docs or not but didn't leave me very confident I'd promote "medical tourism" for Europeans.

• Like 2

Looks as though you missed the part where it said he's being charged with criminal negligence in the girls death.

The Nation writes he has been charged, but I'd eat up my best hat when the BiBs would already have closed their investigation that fast (don't forget it's about a Doctor here, someone high up in the Thai ...preying order list, with a lot of connexions), or they botched it (as it seems to 'sometimes' happen). Wait and see until the file (wonder what will be in there...) goes to the public attorney, whenever, then follow what happens, when we are ever told, and whether it ever comes in front of a criminal court, what the verdict will be, and the first, later second appeal, when you're not too old to live long enough to witness it, never in jail, a slap on the wrist, some ridiculous fine, and probably never take his MD license away. Even when you murder your wife, chop her into bits, flush those through the toilet, you are and remain a MD, a highly respected person in the LoS and treated as such!

• Like 2

That's the way to attract quality tourists. I bet the plastic surgery business will take a hard hit from this.

All in line with a non existing road/rail safety. Banning sales of alcoholic beverages at railway stations and fuel stops is not a solution.

Looks as though you missed the part where it said he's being charged with criminal negligence in the girls death.

The Nation writes he has been charged, but I'd eat up my best hat when the BiBs would already have closed their investigation that fast (don't forget it's about a Doctor here, someone high up in the Thai ...preying order list, with a lot of connexions), or they botched it (as it seems to 'sometimes' happen). Wait and see until the file (wonder what will be in there...) goes to the public attorney, whenever, then follow what happens, when we are ever told, and whether it ever comes in front of a criminal court, what the verdict will be, and the first, later second appeal, when you're not too old to live long enough to witness it, never in jail, a slap on the wrist, some ridiculous fine, and probably never take his MD license away. Even when you murder your wife, chop her into bits, flush those through the toilet, you are and remain a MD, a highly respected person in the LoS and treated as such!

Wait for it.

The embassy may have some input onto this one.

It basically proves that outside the main hospitals, there is virtually nonregulation in Thailand.

60 day closing. preposterous. When you look at many Thais with their faces pulled tighter than a snare drum, you have to wonder who is doing this cosmetic surgery? Now we know. Unlicensed Thai doctors illegally practicing cosmetic surgery and administering anesthesia.

• Like 1

Doctor postpones hearing into cosmetic surgery death
The Nation

30246384-01_big.JPG
Dr Sompop Saensiri

BANGKOK: -- Dr Sompop Saensiri, the owner of a Bangkok cosmetic clinic, yesterday put off an appointment to testify to police about the death of a 24-year-old British woman under general anaesthesia during cosmetic surgery at his Lat Phrao clinic last week.

A lawyer representing the 51-year-old doctor informed police he couldn't give testimony yesterday afternoon because he was busy. Police planned to inform him of an additional charge of operating the clinic beyond an authorised time.

The doctor has been charged with reckless operation that resulted in the death of another, which he denied, insisting he treated the patient according to approved medical process. The doctor was granted bail on Friday and the Public Health Ministry has ordered his clinic to be shut down for 60 days .

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Doctor-postpones-hearing-into-cosmetic-surgery-dea-30246384.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-10-28

Yet another reason why they came up with the logo " Amazing Thailand " anything goes ! R.I.P to this young lady came to Thailand only to return home in a body bag and the sad fact is no lessons will be learnt and deaths of foreigners will continue to gather pace with no reasonable explanation, at least this time it is not a Burmese migrant being blamed.

Well that's it then ladies and gentleman. We have now been handed the perfect opportunity to commit murder and get away with it. We simply go to medical school for a year or two, open a shop get, some customers and operate on them.

faces a jail term up to 10 years and maximum fine of THB20,000.

Many doctors in Thailand, are licensed through the hospital they work in!

The same ones who can now bypass pharmacists when prescribing some seriously heavy duty meds? whistling.gif

Or was that change thrown out - I recall some loud protests?

I noticed that this was tightened up somewhat after the '06 coup. Valium etc became more difficult to acquire "under the counter", or in less places.

Is not Valium available openly at the pill sellers street stalls?