Prime Minister Prayut worried by economic slowdown

webfact

Prime minister worried by economic slowdown
By Digital Content

14143995092364-640x390x1.jpg

BANGKOK, Oct 27 -- Prime Minister Prayut Cha-o-cha admitted he is worried by the projected economic slowdown next year, but still sees the possibility of Thailand regaining its former position as the world's biggest rice exporter next year.

Gen Prayut said at Government House today that an economic downturn is possible next year, meaning that the purchasing power of other countries would be weaker.

He said his government is mobilizing economy-related organizations to cope with the anticipated economic slowdown and the export sector will have to be strengthened.

"If a few world powers have economic problems, the global economy will be affected seriously and the impacts will also reach Thailand," the prime minister said.

Regarding its rice exports, Gen Prayut said that Thailand's rice situation is good as the country is the biggest rice exporter of Asia.

Next year Thailand can become the world's biggest rice exporter despite a decline in its rice yield.

Gen Prayut said his government asked farmers to limit their second rice crop but quality rice from the first crop could still serve export demand.

Commerce Minister Chatchai Sarikulya said the Ministry of Commerce and the Board of Trade of Thailand agreed to form four joint committees to plan international, internal and border trade strategies as well as local product distribution.

He said that the international trade strategy committee would promote Thai exports in new major markets such as emerging countries in Southeast Asia as well as China and India. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-10-27

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm confused I thought everything was hunky dory and everybody was satisfied with the government. Surely they can't be if there is an economic slowdown (if they are saying "slowdown" should we substitute in the word "breakdown"?) 3% dissatisfaction is a very understanding populous?

Edited by draftvader
  • Like 2

Sometimes I am serious worried about this man's ability to see the overall picture!!

Fixing fragments here and there, but no overview!!

Wellmeaning, no doubt (?), but not the sharpest knife in the drawer!!sad.png

Who's to question your judgment.??? Your ability ??? Fixing mega splinters more than likely from what he inherited.

• Like 1

Sometimes I am serious worried about this man's ability to see the overall picture!!

Who's to question your judgment.??? Your ability ??? Fixing mega splinters more than likely from what he inherited.

Perhaps.

But instituting programs like; "Bringing Happiness Back to the Thai People", is no "fix".

Nor is throwing parties with scantily clad women on stage, and free football viewing going to do it either.

wai2.gifwai.gif

He's way out of his league here, and on the World Stage. blink.png

You left out cash subsidies being doled out to rice farmers and rubber tappers, tax discounts for domestic internal tourists etc

Perhaps.

But instituting programs like; "Bringing Happiness Back to the Thai People", is no "fix".

Nor is throwing parties with scantily clad women on stage, and free football viewing going to do it either.

It's clear the guy had/has NO long term plan.

Other than Guns. wai2.gifwai.gif

What a waste of a reasonable post ---until it splurges through-------Quote no long term plans-------other than guns. think a bit without this BS.

Trying a happiness back to Thais is better than t all the TAT announcements put together---whats wrong with it. ???

Bring happiness back to your or my family --I think it's brilliant----BUT of course your rhetoric is hate the PM.

• Like 1

1. Make a stronger baht

2. Make sure prices keep on rising

3. Keep on cracking down in tourist visa's

4. Keep on allowing police to be as corrupt and as useless as ever

And economy will rebound and grow

1 it is

2 Thai Airways have done that.

3 As always, Who started this visa run business,????

4 Shins family franchise for years. Brother in law was the boss.

Europe is suffering--20% Chinese are not now arriving---USA in debt---UK steady at the minute. whats new.

I'm confused I thought everything was hunky dory and everybody was satisfied with the government. Surely they can't be if there is an economic slowdown (if they are saying "slowdown" should we substitute in the word "breakdown"?) 3% dissatisfaction is a very understanding populous?

Did you see this in the OP?

"Gen Prayut said at Government House today that an economic downturn is possible next year, meaning that the purchasing power of other countries would be weaker."

Obviously and clear for all to read the PM refers to slowdown outside Thailand effecting the economy in Thailand.

Many PM's worry about such things in relation to their country. Seems to come with the job. That's why some countries appoint a PM as no one in his/her right mind wants the job unless there's at least a shade of cooperation rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

The expected result from the doing the same things as have been done in the past after previous military " interventions".

Still think it 's very likely recession is on the not too distant horizon.

Your right but the world has problems haven't they ???

Actually Abhisit had the most awkward time when in office but managed it well, Thaksin did the best----but wait a minute he was in when the world had a fantastic time of it.

1. Make a stronger baht

1 it is

Europe is suffering--20% Chinese are not now arriving---USA in debt---UK steady at the minute. whats new.

So whats your answer to the cash subsidies he is paying to rice and rubber farmers? That it is less than what previous govt was paying? Is that a valid reason?

Perhaps.

Totally agree. No long term plans, one year only and according to some that's already 13 months too long.

Mind you the NRC and CDC activities are supposed to bring long term stability and so, but without cooperation that also may require a wee bit longer.

Anyway back on the World stage, many PMs worry about a possible economical slowdown, Ukrany-Russia argument, Ebola, ISIS, terrorism, etc. Even the PM's of the Netherlands and the United Kingdom worry as the E.C. with a new adjusted calculation method discovered the two countries are richer than thought before and therefore need to pay more to support the EC framework. The worries some have rolleyes.gif

Edited by rubl
  • Like 2

1. Make a stronger baht

1 it is

So whats your answer to the cash subsidies he is paying to rice and rubber farmers? That it is less than what previous govt was paying? Is that a valid reason?

World probs the PM is concerned with in the coming year. TOPIC.

Who gets what -re rubber--rice is another story. We are talking about the self sufficient rice/rubber farmer OR the large farms who get the cash.??

Majority that is grown is by the momma and poppas--with the motor bike to the field --- who feed themselves with the rice and sell what bit of rubber they produce. My answer is I have no idea what the ministry is giving out. to complex.

Perhaps.

What a waste of a reasonable post ---until it splurges through-------Quote no long term plans-------other than guns. think a bit without this BS.

Trying a happiness back to Thais is better than t all the TAT announcements put together---whats wrong with it. ???

Bring happiness back to your or my family --I think it's brilliant----BUT of course your rhetoric is hate the PM.

You seem to forget, that your darling PM is de facto the boss of both TAT and Thai Airways!!

And please inform your wondering crowd about which changes for the better, the new wonderboy PM has brought to you and your family!!

Whatever dregs were left he naturally had to pick up the pieces. I would not expect as many smiles in your family as mine, according to your doom and gloom.

Lack of experience in Economics comes to mind as being a man in the Military all his life.

Lack of communication due to heavy censorship. Networking in Business is most important,.

Tourism is a major economic income for Thailand and has been blemished with recent events.

Comfortable and Confidence has hit Teflon Thailand very hard now afte 8 years of Political unrest.

I could continue but i really dont think the Thai people will understand.

• Like 1

1. Make a stronger baht

1 it is

World probs the PM is concerned with in the coming year. TOPIC.

Who gets what -re rubber--rice is another story. We are talking about the self sufficient rice/rubber farmer OR the large farms who get the cash.??

Majority that is grown is by the momma and poppas--with the motor bike to the field --- who feed themselves with the rice and sell what bit of rubber they produce. My answer is I have no idea what the ministry is giving out. to complex.

ginjag!! How can we not love you??thumbsup.gif

You might not be the most wellread poster, but you sure as hell is entertaining!! 10 of 10 !!

• Like 1

Lack of experience in Economics comes to mind as being a man in the Military all his life.

Lack of communication due to heavy censorship. Networking in Business is most important,.

Tourism is a major economic income for Thailand and has been blemished with recent events.

Comfortable and Confidence has hit Teflon Thailand very hard now afte 8 years of Political unrest.

Economics is not his field--he will have an economist to take care of that-----are you not aware of how all countries work ?? do you think the man is transport --water--highways--foreign affairs--power What are you on about.???

the rest is a newbie with a similar rhetoric to add to the others.

They just predicted 4% GDP growth next year. Obviously not a very firm prediction

• Like 1

Did you see this in the OP?

"Gen Prayut said at Government House today that an economic downturn is possible next year, meaning that the purchasing power of other countries would be weaker."

Obviously and clear for all to read the PM refers to slowdown outside Thailand effecting the economy in Thailand.

Many PM's worry about such things in relation to their country. Seems to come with the job. That's why some countries appoint a PM as no one in his/her right mind wants the job unless there's at least a shade of cooperation rolleyes.gif

I do hope you haven't gone completely off the reservation and are suggesting an appointed PM, rubl, because that's what I'm getting from your usual "I won't come out and say it but this is code for what I really think" prose.

Economics is not his field--he will have an economist to take care of that-----are you not aware of how all countries work ?? do you think the man is transport --water--highways--foreign affairs--power What are you on about.???

" Economics is not his field--he will have an economist to take care of that..." blink.png

Anytime soon?

cheesy.gif cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

He shoot's from the hip everyday.

Now, his handlers have said, because he keeps putting his foot in his mouth, they do their best to keep him away from the Press.

No plan.

Spot on!! Well that would be the case in any democratic country, but your generals advisors are guys he brought with him from the army!!

So a little like a blind man using a blind dog to lead him!!whistling.gif

• Like 1