Is it just me, or are there more tourists in central Pattaya atm ?

MrWorldwide

Certainly seems to be more people to dodge in and around Central World - hardly the high season of old, but I'm also seeing more Farang plonking themselves in some of the more popular bars. Its patchy and I still believe supply far outstrips demand for everything from baht buses to P4P company but a marked contrast to a fortnight or so ago when Second Road was still a dusty/muddy nightmare - seems like they paved the road and a few more people appeared on the streets. Also spent a few hours in a bar on Soi 7 earlier this week where - for the first time since settling here in April - every seat was occupied by a paying customer : no mean feat in a large bar with seating on both sides. Just a couple of bars down, not a single customer - I guess that's the way it goes, but a long way from the high season they would all love to see.

On the downside, I'm finding the sois that connect Second Road to Beach Road increasingly annoying - more cars and trucks forcing pedestrians into the gutter and closer to the desperate denizens of various bars and massage joints whose days must surely be numbered. Several bars - and one very large outdoor Thai restaurant - have been completely razed to the ground and others stripped of all their fittings - no idea how common that is but given the age of many venues in Pattaya it doesn't seem like an annual event. While they still appear to have a web presence and may simply have relocated, i saw a large pile of rubble on the site I believe was previously occupied by The Dave Club earlier today - I think I was in the right Soi but I'll confirm that with my local associates tomorrow. From the outside, a lot of money appears to have been spent on that building - knocking it down would seem to indicate that someone got a very good offer and it's definitely prime real estate. Perhaps the pink dollar isn't as strong a currency as it once was in Pattaya ......

If the long-awaited transformation of central Pattaya to condos and more upscale entertainment is underway, so be it, but this will be an interesting high season for many bar owners - particularly those who are currently hanging on by their fingernails. Roll on November.

Agreed if it becomes one of these expensive, sterile personality free resorts I'm moving.

I'm actually sitting on a mini buss back from Rayong and there's a group of English girls backpacking eager to stay in Pattaya .. Can't think why. Surly Phuket would be more up there street.

Again I'm not nocking them (everyone likes to travel) but I can't see the appeal. It's like going skiing if you don't like snow. Surly you would do your research before you went somewhere

• Like 1

What is this "upscale entertainment". They are knocking down all the reasons why we came to Pattaya in the first place and replacing them with sterile condos and hotels.

Works for me, but I'm a dinosaur. Some here would have it that it's time for something more subtle than the beer bar or the go-go. but all that neon wasn't built on girl scout jamborees - it was built on the money spent by punters. FWIW, they are building a very large beer bar complex on Second Road in Naklua, so I guess that there are a few who still see the large-scale influx of young single - and 'single if you're naked' - men with nothing more on their minds than nookie and beer.

Agreed if it becomes one of these expensive, sterile personality free resorts I'm moving.

I'm actually sitting on a mini buss back from Rayong and there's a group of English girls backpacking eager to stay in Pattaya .. Can't think why. Surly Phuket would be more up there street.

Again I'm not nocking them (everyone likes to travel) but I can't see the appeal. It's like going skiing if you don't like snow. Surly you would do your research before you went somewhere

I'm considerably more mystified by the people who insist on bringing a non-Thai partner to Pattaya, esp the people with kids. Sure, there's a beach, a 'world-class' shopping centre and plenty of restaurants, but at it's heart Sin City is still a party town. At least the backpackers can fry their brains here and wander up and down WS looking at all the pretty lights - unless family life has changed drastically in the last ten years I doubt that Mr Right has the same plans, particularly with ankle biters in tow.

What is this "upscale entertainment". They are knocking down all the reasons why we came to Pattaya in the first place and replacing them with sterile condos and hotels.

Works for me, but I'm a dinosaur. Some here would have it that it's time for something more subtle than the beer bar or the go-go. but all that neon wasn't built on girl scout jamborees - it was built on the money spent by punters. FWIW, they are building a very large beer bar complex on Second Road in Naklua, so I guess that there are a few who still see the large-scale influx of young single - and 'single if you're naked' - men with nothing more on their minds than nookie and beer.

they built a large beer bar complex in soi bau kau about a year ago too, its mostly empty now

they built a large beer bar complex in soi bau kau about a year ago too, its mostly empty now

Not just soi bow cow, but other empty complexes all over, eg north Pattaya road

Maybe six months isn't long enough to realise that there are plenty families, ie. 'people with kids' already living in and around Pattaya. However, being low season right now, they probably outnumber the tourist families. With Putin's dipshittery totally stuffing up the Russian economy, it's hard to see a return of all those Russian families of the recent past. The eye candy of their stunning ladies and oldest unmarried daughters will be sorely missed. However, I consider the perception that Pattaya is still mainly a 'place for the lads' really depends on one's own raison d'être or social status, ie. here without adult supervision.

Personally, I am truly here for my kids better schooling now. But as one of the many single young men who actively 'built this city' in the context of about ten or so years of pretty much continuous lads nights out in the 70's and 80's, there are still the wonderful memories plus the infrequent offers on trial software. I am talking about shopping at Tukcom of course.

With Putin's dipshittery totally stuffing up the Russian economy, it's hard to see a return of all those Russian families of the recent past.

They'll be back, eventually. But, you're right, sanctions are now seriously starting to bite and long may it continue. Don't shoot down commercial aircraft and continue to incite and support a war over a bit of crappy land in eastern Ukraine.

I have dealings in my career with Russian entities daily and feel sorry for them. They just want to trade but Putin has rogered them good and proper.

I'll give it a year before the next Russian revolution.

• Like 1

With Putin's dipshittery totally stuffing up the Russian economy, it's hard to see a return of all those Russian families of the recent past.

They'll be back, eventually. But, you're right, sanctions are now seriously starting to bite and long may it continue. Don't shoot down commercial aircraft and continue to incite and support a war over a bit of crappy land in eastern Ukraine.

I have dealings in my career with Russian entities daily and feel sorry for them. They just want to trade but Putin has rogered them good and proper.

I'll give it a year before the next Russian revolution.

Oooooh noooooo.....! Pattaya will be inundated with the bloody refugees then.

Or maybe just the ones that thoughtfully squirreled away some gold bars and bought condo's and houses here when the times were better.

I was in Cloud 9 and we Are The world on Friday. Both were very quiet. On the Tuesday it was busy.

Maybe folk were out on the same night as the OP.

Entirely possible - last night was comparatively dead so it may well have been a one-off. I'm sure plenty of business owners are hoping for more such one-offs - 3 or 4 a week would put a lot more smiles on faces in Pattaya.

in and around Central World - hardly the high season of old,

Even the low season exceeds the high season of old, unless you define "old" in terms of months.

Central World hasn't even existed long enough to be used for "old" comparisons. The shopping Meccas were Royal Plaza and Big C Festival on Pattaya Nua in the "old" days.

Of course even ten or 15 years ago people were complaining about too many condos (and that they would never sell) and the supposed declining numbers of tourists. The more things change ...

Edited by Suradit69

I think a lot of people are just Pattaya knockers. There is a lot more to do here than in Phuket. There are plenty of attractions and nice places for families and kids. Maybe some of my fellow farangs need to get away from the bar areas occasionally and look above their navals

• Like 2

I'm considerably more mystified by the people who insist on bringing a non-Thai partner to Pattaya, esp the people with kids. Sure, there's a beach, a 'world-class' shopping centre and plenty of restaurants, but at it's heart Sin City is still a party town. At least the backpackers can fry their brains here and wander up and down WS looking at all the pretty lights - unless family life has changed drastically in the last ten years I doubt that Mr Right has the same plans, particularly with ankle biters in tow.

Mr Worldwide,

Can you answer this question for me, do you just visit Thailand/Pattaya or live here? I have been visiting since 2000 and live here now. To answer you question single women sometime come here to hook up with bar girls or ladyboys , I have pics of a German girl who used to come over all the time to hook up with them. I know couples (man/woman) that come over for a little fun with hook up with bar girls and maybe with ladyboys but not personal knowlege of that. Used to see a Phillippine bar girl who came over with her husband who would do girls in club and screw with some guys as well (husband took pics/video ) so now you know. Others come over for some family things to do here like vist Koh Larn, Mini Siam, Big Buddah, Nong Nooch Gardens , Million Year Park and some of the couples like checking out the nitelife --a little titilation. Think other long timers can verify this.

Edited by Tony125
  • Like 1

Lived in Pattaya for couple years and then meet my love of my life, I was 65 she was 37 I had a place with 9 rental rooms, sold them after 2yrs and moved up to Khon Kaen with her. We go down to Pattaya each month for 7 nights see my old buddy's which is nice.

I have noticed over the last 2-3yrs that Pattaya has gone a lot quieter. But the heat and violence/crime is getting worst and we have decided to leave Thailand now, had enough.

• Like 1

What does 'FWIW' mean? Come on now Mr Worldwide, don't be so lazy with your typing.

Sure but I came to Thailand for the climate and the fab outdoor lifestyle and I don't understand people that come to Thailand and sit indoors all day with the air con on max!!!???? and then moan how hot it is outside! lol

in and around Central World - hardly the high season of old,

Even the low season exceeds the high season of old, unless you define "old" in terms of months.

Central World hasn't even existed long enough to be used for "old" comparisons. The shopping Meccas were Royal Plaza and Big C Festival on Pattaya Nua in the "old" days.

Of course even ten or 15 years ago people were complaining about too many condos (and that they would never sell) and the supposed declining numbers of tourists. The more things change ...

sorry but why don’t you get your fact straight before you post inconsistencies?

Central World is located in Bangkok, the shopping center referred to is named Central Festival. Royal Garden was and is the name commonly used not Royal Plaza, maybe at a stretch it might have been called Royal Garden Plaza, which actually would be the proper name. Big C was at that time referred to as Central Festival and it’s not located on Pattaya Nua, it’s located on Second Road.

What does 'FWIW' mean? Come on now Mr Worldwide, don't be so lazy with your typing.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/FWIW

I've used it for years and it's very common on my other boards - apologies for any misunderstanding.

• Like 1

Someone asked if I live in Pattaya - I have done for the last 6 months and Immigration have kindly allowed me to do so for at least 11 more months when I will apply for my next extension of stay. To those who responded that it's just me, I'm guessing you weren't on Walking St at 12:30am this morning - no idea where these people are during the day, but it was the usual parade of gawkers mixed with a surprisingly large number of young guys looking for a night out. And Central Festival is indeed the main shopping centre in downtown Pattaya - an easy mistake when they're clearly owned by the same organisation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Group#Shopping_Malls

FWIW = For what it's worth!

Drove down Beach Road from Klang to Walking Street yesterday at around 10:30 am. There were a lot of farangs in the beachfront with beers in front of them. Many more than in recent days - enough to make me notice. The bar I frequent on the East Side has more than the usual drinkers - most of them seem to be from Germany. The Season may well be here.

"We" ? I must have missed being interviewed.