1st time in phuket

downtown

Phuket appears to me as overcrowded and overpriced - maybe Krabi would be nicer - - that said, I had a nice vacation at Marriot Resort on the northern tip of the island abt 7 yrs ago- though outside the resort, there was not much in the area… it is somewhat a contradiction to be in the peace and quiet outside of tourist areas but still in easy reach of restaurants and entertainment… find a balance and enjoy your trip.

If you are looking for a good B&B in Phuket (if you don't want to spend too much money) I can highly recommend Villareal Heights in Kata. Phil, the owner there, is extremely helpful and will give you great tips on what to see and do while you and your family are in Phuket.

• Like 1

I have stayed at Surin beach twice in the last year, the first time at Double tree by Hilton and the second time at Twin Palms, both good hotels in their own right and next door to each other. Double tree is significantly cheaper, has a water slide and a very good child care area (with a few Thai staff to look after the kids). Twin Palms is luxury with beautifully appointed rooms, wonderful breakfast buffet (free unlimited champagne) very good staff and when I stayed they had a lovely bar on the beach (beach club) that may or may not still be operating.

Get on a boat and go to Ao Nang .. the beach village near Krabi.. much nicer and fewer hassles than Phuket.. lots of good guesthouses.. boats to visit Railay

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g1597036-d627649-Reviews-Railay_Beach-Railay_Beach_Krabi_Town_Krabi_Province.html...

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g1507054-Ao_Nang_Krabi_Town_Krabi_Province-Vacations.html

If you are looking for a good B&B in Phuket (if you don't want to spend too much money) I can highly recommend Villareal Heights in Kata. Phil, the owner there, is extremely helpful and will give you great tips on what to see and do while you and your family are in Phuket.

I also think Villareal Heights in Kata is not bad. If you want to stay in a house with a pool, there are many cheap "villas" on the island (3 bedroom for under 5000 THB). AirBNB is one source... on Phuket you can also try SuperHolidayVillas, they have both pricey and cheaper options. You don't get all the services of a hotel, but you do save a ton on all your food costs, and you can have your morning coffee poolside in your pajamas!

High season starts now, so there will be a lot of people in Patong, Kata and Karon the coming months. Personally I would stay in Nai Harn or Rawai in the sothern part of Phuket. Cape Panwa is another place.

You find a really good beach at Nai Harn and Ao Sen and there are plenty of very good restaurant in the area. Its close to several activities like elephant riding, ATV, snorkeling trips to Coral Islands and Racha Yai and free of the annoying touts you'll find in some other areas. If you need a bit of action, you can always take a taxi. Be aware that prices for taxi's are pretty high in Phuket.

I don't have a specific hotel or guest house I can recommend but go to Trip Advisor and other websites for reviews.

There is a whole range of great activities in Phuket for you and your family, so please let us know, if you just want a beach holiday or like to try out other things as well. A few of them are; Hanuman zip line, snorkeling and sightseeing around Phi Phi Islands, ATV and elephant riding, island tour to see the big Buddha, wat Chalong and other attractions (no gems or latex shops), Splash Jungle water park, scuba diving, cable water park and much, much more.

Have a great holiday

• Like 2

I also think Villareal Heights in Kata is not bad. If you want to stay in a house with a pool, there are many cheap "villas" on the island (3 bedroom for under 5000 THB). AirBNB is one source... on Phuket you can also try SuperHolidayVillas, they have both pricey and cheaper options. You don't get all the services of a hotel, but you do save a ton on all your food costs, and you can have your morning coffee poolside in your pajamas!

Under 5000 for a 3 bedroom 'villa'??? Where you talking about? Koh Sirey? laugh.png Everyone's asking 100k here in the Sai Yuan/Rawai area. Insane.w00t.gif

Under 5000 for a 3 bedroom 'villa'??? Where you talking about? Koh Sirey? laugh.png Everyone's asking 100k here in the Sai Yuan/Rawai area. Insane.w00t.gif

I think he is talking a one day rate, and you are thinking of monthly rentals.

Kata beach , Surin beach, lots of nice reasonable hotels with pools. Do not rent Jet Skis , and careful with taxi fares. Try to take meter taxis( don't laugh phuketians) whenever possible. If you want a big shopping spree, take a taxi to Patong Junk Ceylon.or, Central Festival.

Get on a boat and go to Ao Nang .. the beach village near Krabi.. much nicer and fewer hassles than Phuket.. lots of good guesthouses.. boats to visit Railay

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g1597036-d627649-Reviews-Railay_Beach-Railay_Beach_Krabi_Town_Krabi_Province.html...

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g1507054-Ao_Nang_Krabi_Town_Krabi_Province-Vacations.html

Ao Nang? ph34r.png

Great place to rent The Heights kata beach.

Nice place quite and has good view and pool. Call them directly and can get info on price.

I rented a place there for 2 weeks in April and it was fantastic. 2 bed 2 bath.

Or check Aspasia has killer pools and close to everything. Good views walk to the beach.

Enjoy your time in Phuket.

Advice:

NEVER RENT A JET SKI !

NEVER RENT A JET SKI !

Ok have fun.

Remember the Advice

• Like 1

Go to Karon beach. Lots of really nice restaurants up and down the street and the little hill. The beach is the best. Top half of the big giant Buddha can be seen above on the hilltop. Very quiet at night although there are one or two night life areas with a lot of outdoor bars. I stayed at two different hotels. One was very basic, no AC just little adjoining cabins really, but it was all I needed.

Can walk over to Kata beach and again there are some nice little restaurants there.

• Like 1

I would look into Khao Lak

2 short hours from Airport, clean beaches no bad vibes from anyone. Great hotels and restaurants. Some of the nicest thais i have ever met, safe no Tuk Tuks ripping you off.

The beaches in Khao Lak are empty only hand full of people for miles.

Close to Killer diving, jungles of Khao Sok, waterfalls the list can go on forever.

IMHO

england, no chance of living of living in thailand until something like a normal judiciary is created and education is taken seriously (one piggy, two piggy )

I don't think there will be a chance of "a normal judiciary" in Thailand, in my lifetime.

In relation to "education" - there are many International Schools here, however, I can not comment on the quality of the education within them.

Anyway, I would be interested in your opinion of Phuket, as a first timer here.

contradicting myself here but now am looking at karon/kata despite previously saying i wanted quiet. was all set to book pacific club resort but realised its apparently 20 min walk to the beach. is it possible to get somewhere nearer the beach for 2000-5000 a night?

contradicting myself here but now am looking at karon/kata despite previously saying i wanted quiet. was all set to book pacific club resort but realised its apparently 20 min walk to the beach. is it possible to get somewhere nearer the beach for 2000-5000 a night?

Pacific Club is a quality place, well run by Eric. Sure it's a walk to the beach, 20 minutes seems a bit long. I could do in 10 minutes. I would say it's a bit on the outskirts of all the restuarants in central Karon. So a walk anywhere.