British stars speak out against dog-meat trade's cruelty: Thailand

webfact

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People eat meat. Some people eat dog meat. Why is it that people that are always going on about tolerance seem determined to force the world to adopt their ways? Next thing, they'll be going after the French for eating rabbits.

Some people eat pork, others have pet pigs. Let everyone do as they like. But regulate how animals for human consumption are kept and slaughtered.

Also for pet dogs the mandatory collars, tags and chips are a very good idea.

• Like 1

People eat meat. Some people eat dog meat. Why is it that people that are always going on about tolerance seem determined to force the world to adopt their ways? Next thing, they'll be going after the French for eating rabbits.

Yeh but eating dog meat is illegal, therefore there are no checks whatsoever on how they are transported to their destination.

Do you think these pics are an acceptable way to transports dogs 1000's of kms?

post-222614-0-13239300-1414634125_thumb.

post-222614-0-66776700-1414634131_thumb.

If they lived in a soi with 30+ soi dogs they'd be singing a different tune.

It's one of the worst parts of living here! I like to walk and ride a bike. You do that at your own peril!

I think it is one of the main reasons why Thai people never walk or do any exercise

The govt needs to cull lots of these mangy dogs and give the streets back to the people.

As I sit here now I can hear 2/3 barking and snarling outside!

They should be culled, not tortured.

• Like 1

People who complain about the amount of dogs in their soi should help pay for them to be neutered or humanely put to sleep and help clean up their Sois rather than just sit on the bar stool and moan about it put your money where your mouth is [ I doubt it very much ] Most dogs that go into rescues in USA/UK end up being euthanized anyway I doubt this very much all my dogs that I have in the UK come from shelters and all the ones I donate money to do not put down heathy animals, not sure about the USA possibly a country full of greedy people so just put their dogs down, but defiantly not happening in the UK we put our money where our mouths are.

• Like 1

It is amazing to me that people would think of speaking out against a valid food source, yet say nothing about cruelty towards humans; child labor, child abuse, slavery of migrants. I believe that humans should be first before animals. If it means that humans eat animals to gain protein, so much the better for both animals and humans.

• Like 2

I actually like seeing dogs on the street as I'm walking around, they're more cute than frightening. In my experience 99% are docile and harmless. Maybe it's an elderly expat thing to dislike them as you're getting pretty frail and couldn't put up much of a fight against a dog that 1% of the time?

Also I guess you're living in villages so no high rise condos from which you can't hear the barking. Noticed they bark more in villages as they're more likely to feel a quick back soi is their territory.

I hope all the celebs jumping on this bandwagon are vegans, If not, then they might be accused of being hypocrites. I think it's the social stigma against eating "fido" is what causes that informal industry to operate in non-conventional manners, like having to smuggle truckloads of them. Maybe if people opened their minds more to accept that it's just another form of meat, for those who enjoy that particular meat, we'd see dog farms just like there are for pigs and cattle. I could argue that the killing of any animal for food is equally cruel. Maybe it would be better if these pampered celebs spoke out against the unfair treatment of Palestinians by the USA and Israel or other injustices against humans.

• Like 1

People who complain about the amount of dogs in their soi should help pay for them to be neutered or humanely put to sleep and help clean up their Sois rather than just sit on the bar stool and moan about it put your money where your mouth is [ I doubt it very much ] Most dogs that go into rescues in USA/UK end up being euthanized anyway I doubt this very much all my dogs that I have in the UK come from shelters and all the ones I donate money to do not put down heathy animals, not sure about the USA possibly a country full of greedy people so just put their dogs down, but defiantly not happening in the UK we put our money where our mouths are.

Hi Jim,

I don't want to get into an argument with you on this point but why should people have to pay for others negligence and mistakes.

I love dogs and would love to have one but I do not have the land where I live to offer the dog a good life, also I do not have enough time to dedicate to a dog.

My decision therefore is that it would not be responsible to own a dog because I could not care for it properly.

If i bought a dog and then just released it into my Soi because I can't look after it, why should other people have to pay for my stupidity.

I agree with the posters who feel that there should be an annual cull, providing that this is carried out as humanely as possible.

• Like 1

I hear the dogs in my village barking in protest at the nerve of British stars speaking out against the dog meat trade. Wonder if they eat beef or chicken or

pork? have they ever watched the slaughter of any of these other creatures?

Edited by akentryan
  • Like 1

I used to come home from a night drinking on my motorcycle and the soi dogs would chase me for about 20 or so feet. Then one night when they started chasing me,I stopped my bike turned it around and started chasing them and you know what, those pesky dogs, well they don't chase me anymore. True story!!!

Edited by ldiablo
  • Like 1

There are two sides to every story, whilst I would never want to eat dog meat or advocate cruelty someone has to take responsibilty for dog population and reduce it, trained dogs I dont mind but you dont see much of them here do you?

It's not the eating of meat that is the issue. The OP is focused upon the cruel treatment of the animals prior to their deaths.

Exactly but we do have another problem here... I remember very clearly how a very well known vet refused to put a cat down that I had "rescued" and was in a miserable state. If you saw her, even the most hardened heart would feel compassion and want her to be put to sleep.

the vet REFUSED sighting he was a "Buddhist" and I had a bit of an argument with him about what 'compassion' means. Anyway we have this absurd "I can eat meat and disrespect animals" but "i cannot kill them myself only through PROXY"

this culturally 'convenient' interpretation of Buddhism is behind much of the 'mai pen rai' attitude to animal abuse and Thais, generally, really don't think it's an important issue

In my opinion, that vet should not be a vet if his religion prevents him from carrying out his job.

That would be like a doctor refusing to administer an emergency blood transfusion because he was a Jehovah’s Witness.

• Like 2

If they lived in a soi with 30+ soi dogs they'd be singing a different tune.

Yes, they are a menace and need controlling somehow.

However, it's the way the animals are treated, the excessive cruelty, that is the issue.

There are ways of doing things that do not involve the foul way these animals are treated.

We have no problem with soi dogs on Phuket. The Soi Dog Foundation has a neutering program. The dogs we see here are well fed and community pets. I believe the usual suspects should take their callous remarks and bugg3r 0ff back home.

• Like 2

Every time I see an article like this, and 'stars' getting their panties in a bunch because dogs or horses are mistreated here or there, I think of one amazing documentary film called 'Food Inc.' by Robert Kenner (2008).

This film exposes the reality behind the food we consume and the lovely labels, including the way edible animals are treated from birth to slaughter, and that is beyond shocking.

It doesn't mean that mistreating dogs is OK, the question is simply : what's the difference between a pet and a non-pet animal ? The answer is : Human sentimentality. Which has nothing to do with true compassion.

These actors are exasperating do-gooders working on their image because their image is their capital, that's why their generous NGOs and Foundations go under the generic name of 'charity business'.

Edited by Yann55
  • Like 2

This is near to the truth. No wonder Thai are not concerned about hurt and suffering of dogs, At a Thai cremation near everyone has DRY eyes.

Most cannot teach and take care of their kids properly. Caring is a word that is not operable much in Thailand.

BUT when Thais do care they are fantastic.

Every time I see an article like this, and 'stars' getting their panties in a bunch because dogs or horses are mistreated here or there, I think of one amazing documentary film called 'Food Inc.' by Robert Kenner (2008).

This film exposes the reality behind the food we consume and the lovely labels, including the way edible animals are treated from birth to slaughter, and that is beyond shocking.

It doesn't mean that mistreating dogs is OK, the question is simply : what's the difference between a pet and a non-pet animal ? The answer is : Human sentimentality. Which has nothing to do with true compassion.

These actors are exasperating do-gooders working on their image because their image is their capital, that's why their generous NGOs and Foundations are sometimes called the charity business.

I agree with Yann55 and clearly these do-gooders have never had a good Labrador burger in their lives.

These actors are exasperating do-gooders working on their image because their image is their capital, that's why their generous NGOs and Foundations are sometimes called the charity business.

I agree with Yann55 and clearly these do-gooders have never had a good Labrador burger in their lives.

But it has to be someone else's Labrador, not yours ???

But it has to be someone else's Labrador, not yours ???

It looks like Mr Whatawonderfulday has a Labrador and a sense of humor. It also looks like you have only the Labrador.