Bangkok is 8th most dangerous city in the world for women using public transport: survey

webfact

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I remember not so many years ago BKK was one of if not the most safest city for anyone to walk / travel around in and I would hazard a guess and say it still would be

safer than any city in Australia , especially Sydney, I wouldn't dream of using metro trains after dark in my home City of Perth.

I remember not so many years ago BKK was one of if not the most safest city for anyone to walk / travel around in and I would hazard a guess and say it still would be

safer than any city in Australia , especially Sydney, I wouldn't dream of using metro trains after dark in my home City of Perth.

He is partially right - many parts of Sydney at night holds more danger in my view-

However in other parts its far far safer than Bangkok .

I guess times change?

Bangkok now is host to wolves in the shadows and woman need to be far more mindful

This is total b.s. Does anyone believe this? How many riders on the transit and how many arrive safely? Let's see some statistical evidence. This is nothing more than western media bashing Thailand to disrupt the Junta so they can get back to running the show through Thaksin and his cronies. Wake up posters.

As usually, typical journalistic click-baiting.

Interesting to see that Coconuts Bangkok did a better job at reading the Thomson Reuteurs report than CNN and ThaiPBS.

This report is not a study, it is the result of a poll conducted in 16 cities, with a sample size of about 500 women in each.

The report doesn't answer the question whether or not these cities are dangerous, but rather whether women feel their city is dangerous.

This is a big difference. And if you know a bit about the psyche here, it is not all that surprising. Many Thais don't realize how safer Bangkok is compared to a wide majority of metropolis around the world. You constantly hear them warn you about rapist taxi drivers and other dangers. But the reality is that each of these incidents are highly publicized and way less frequent than in many other places.

Look at the questions that were asked: http://www.trust.org/spotlight/most-dangerous-transport-systems-for-women/?tab=methodology

To what extent do you agree or disagree with the following statement? "It is safe for women to travel alone on public transport when it's dark."

You can be sure Thai women will reply that this is not safe at all, because that's what they are taught. "Don't go out at night, only bad women go out unaccompanied at night..."

When you look at the results for Bangkok it's quite clear: The direct questions like 'have you been harassed verbally' and 'have you been harassed physically' got less affirmative answer than most of the cities and for those, Bangkok Ranking is pretty good. But to the questions 'do you feel safe at night' or 'do you feel safe in the city', many Thai women replied that they felt pretty unsafe.

I'm not saying Bangkok is a paradise for women. There are creeps, rapists and the police is pretty inefficient. But the media interpretation of this survey are, as usually, completely off.

• Like 1

so bangladesh,india,afganistan,pakistan,iraq,iran,libya,egypt,saudi arabia,yemen,somalia and many other countries is better then thailand? haah

this is pure bullshit.

Errrrm, if you read the article you'll see that it was a survey of only 16 countries and not the whole world..........................

Why majority of this forum users hate Thailand and still continue to live here??? I mean if you hate so much then get the f...k out of here "excuse my language" and go get your self a much much better place to live.

When u let your daughter get in a taxi alone in bangkok and something bad happens, maybe you will wish you had engaged your pea sized brain and remembered this thread.

• Like 1

As usually, typical journalistic click-baiting.

Interesting to see that Coconuts Bangkok did a better job at reading the Thomson Reuteurs report than CNN and ThaiPBS.

This report is not a study, it is the result of a poll conducted in 16 cities, with a sample size of about 500 women in each.

The report doesn't answer the question whether or not these cities are dangerous, but rather whether women feel their city is dangerous.

This is a big difference. And if you know a bit about the psyche here, it is not all that surprising. Many Thais don't realize how safer Bangkok is compared to a wide majority of metropolis around the world. You constantly hear them warn you about rapist taxi drivers and other dangers. But the reality is that each of these incidents are highly publicized and way less frequent than in many other places.

Look at the questions that were asked: http://www.trust.org/spotlight/most-dangerous-transport-systems-for-women/?tab=methodology

To what extent do you agree or disagree with the following statement? "It is safe for women to travel alone on public transport when it's dark."

You can be sure Thai women will reply that this is not safe at all, because that's what they are taught. "Don't go out at night, only bad women go out unaccompanied at night..."

When you look at the results for Bangkok it's quite clear: The direct questions like 'have you been harassed verbally' and 'have you been harassed physically' got less affirmative answer than most of the cities and for those, Bangkok Ranking is pretty good. But to the questions 'do you feel safe at night' or 'do you feel safe in the city', many Thai women replied that they felt pretty unsafe.

I'm not saying Bangkok is a paradise for women. There are creeps, rapists and the police is pretty inefficient. But the media interpretation of this survey are, as usually, completely off.

Not at all. Single women do not take public transport in bangkok in dangerous times because it is dangerous. Pure and simple.

In fact most girls are taught not to get caught alone with men in any situation because bad stuff can happen.

Why majority of this forum users hate Thailand and still continue to live here??? I mean if you hate so much then get the f...k out of here "excuse my language" and go get your self a much much better place to live.

When u let your daughter get in a taxi alone in bangkok and something bad happens, maybe you will wish you had engaged your pea sized brain and remembered this thread.

Yes and don't let your daughter cross the road in case she gets hit by a bus, or go to work in case her office is hit by lightning, or go to the 7-11 in case an airplane falls out of the sky and lands on her head, etc.

You could put a bad twist on any situation but the truth is that Bangkok is much safer for women at night than most Western Societies.

Ask a Thai lady if you don't believe. I think just about every female I know in Bangkok has said that they don't trust Taxi drivers or police. Most will not take a taxi at night unless they have friends see them get in so the driver knows someone has seen him and won't try to rape them. My gf sends the taxi number and color to me or her sister every time she gets in one just in case.

I believe but only question if its not really 6th or 7th place.

Ask 10 young attractive Thai girls if they feel unsafe getting in a Taxi at night and I would bet you get 9 or maybe 10 yes responses. Old, fat or ugly girls don't really count but they will even respond the same way.

It is good that people understand that Thailand is not the place to drop your guard so telling the world may just save a few rapes from happening or even a murder.

I wish you people who don't know anything about Thailand and keep mouthing off would go home :)

Edited by ttthailand
  • Like 1

And the ninth most dangerous for men using private transport.

If we are going to have a topic like this we may as well add an equally daft twist to the it.

You forgot to mention, how can we expect the PM to change it after only 5 months in office after the "intervention"!!rolleyes.gif

And somehow work "3 am amnesty" into the discussion.

Ask 10 young attractive Thai girls if they feel unsafe getting in a Taxi at night and I would bet you get 9 or maybe 10 yes responses. Old, fat or ugly girls don't really count but they will even respond the same way.

It is good that people understand that Thailand is not the place to drop your guard so telling the world may just save a few rapes from happening or even a murder.

I wish you people who don't know anything about Thailand and keep mouthing off would go home smile.png

I wish you people who don't know anything about Thailand and keep mouthing off would go home

I agree entirely, when are you going home then?

• Like 2

The Coconuts report states

"While Bangkok respondents reported relatively low incidents of verbal and physical harassment, they reported an overall sense that public transportation was not safe and that no one would help them if they were abused."

So, contrary to most of the posters' comments on here, its is NOT the 8th most dangerous city. It is the 8th in a list of cities where women THINK it might be dangerous.

That is quite a different matter and shows that there is merely a perception it is highly dangerous, the actual statistics do not however bear this out.

Yes and don't let your daughter cross the road in case she gets hit by a bus, or go to work in case her office is hit by lightning, or go to the 7-11 in case an airplane falls out of the sky and lands on her head, etc.

You could put a bad twist on any situation but the truth is that Bangkok is much safer for women at night than most Western Societies.

I wouldn't let my daughter take a taxi home late in the UK either.

But as an empirical statement that doesn't change the fact that taxis are not considered safe in Bangkok. This is not a relativity contest.

Is the UK safer than Thailand on public transport? Absolutely irrelevant.

My wife will NEVER get in a taxi alone in daylight in Bangkok. She was staying up near DMK just a week ago, and would not take a taxi to the embassy, no way. Train or not go at all

Then beyond that, let's look at this relatively if you like. How many convicts are driving mini cabs in bangkok versus the developed world?

His many times more? Twice? Thrice? 50?

How many blokes are running taxis in Bangkok who are using someone else's license? 10% 20%?

So yes, public transport isn't that safe anywhere in comparison with a car,but Bangkok definitelt is not as safe as some places. I dont see the point in denying it. What is to be gained by acting like an ostrich?

Edited by Thai at Heart

I wouldn't let my daughter take a taxi home late in the UK either.

But as an empirical statement that doesn't change the fact that taxis are not considered safe in Bangkok. This is not a relativity contest.

Is the UK safer than Thailand on public transport? Absolutely irrelevant.

My wife will NEVER get in a taxi alone in daylight in Bangkok. She was staying up near DMK just a week ago, and would not take a taxi to the embassy, no way. Train or not go at all

Then beyond that, let's look at this relatively if you like. How many convicts are driving mini cabs in bangkok versus the developed world?

His many times more? Twice? Thrice? 50?

How many blokes are running taxis in Bangkok who are using someone else's license? 10% 20%?

So yes, public transport isn't that safe anywhere in comparison with a car,but Bangkok definitelt is not as safe as some places. I dont see the point in denying it. What is to be gained by acting like an ostrich?

I’m sorry but I don’t understand what the point you are trying to make is.

Firstly you state

‘This is not a relativity contest. Is the UK safer than Thailand on public transport? Absolutely irrelevant.’

Then later in the same post you state

‘but Bangkok definitelt is not as safe as some places.’

So what is it, are we comparing places or not?

The whole issue revolves around comparing places, so shall we start these?

Is the public transport system in Bangkok more dangerous for women than the systems in Manila, London, Tokyo & New York, which are all placed as safer in the poll?

Definitely not.

As so eloquently mentioned by another poster on this thread (jybkk),

it is the result of a poll conducted in 16 cities, with a sample size of about 500 women in each.

If a different 500 Thai women were polled, the results may well very different.

Out of the 8 cities that came below Bangkok, I would not feel safe in six of them at night, even as a man, but I feel perfectly safe in Bangkok.

Most countries have a high rate of ex-convicts as taxi drivers.

It’s one of the easiest jobs to get when you have a criminal record.

You ask ‘How many blokes are running taxis in Bangkok who are using someone else's license? 10% 20%?’.

My answer is 0%, displayed in all Bangkok taxis is the taxi driver’s license with a picture of the driver on it, I have never got into a taxi where the driver did not match the picture in the ID.

However, the same cannot be said of the Asian taxi drivers in the UK.

So which countries in the world would you feel safe letting your daughter catch a taxi at night?

All that you are relating to in this thread is your beliefs (which are not facts) and your wife’s fear of taxis.

• Like 1

so bangladesh,india,afganistan,pakistan,iraq,iran,libya,egypt,saudi arabia,yemen,somalia and many other countries is better then thailand? haah

this is pure bullshit.

Well, could very well be...

In most of those countries, women are forbidden to use public transportation...

Problem solved...

this is pure bullshit.

The article states they studied only the 15 most populous national capitals in the world, plus NYC. So the study concludes only that BKK falls in the middle of the world's largest capitals studied. It makes no comparisons beyond that..

this is pure bullshit.

India is on the list via New Delhi. Also, they said LARGEST Capital cities, not countries.