UN political chief criticizes Israel for new settlement plans

webfact

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Israel is full of Jews. It always attracts more than its share of hate.

I neither hate Israel nor Jews. I do completely despise Israel's actions. The era when you can occupy another country (yes country) and illegally settle their lands, lock up children etc etc is over.

• Like 2

I neither hate Israel nor Jews. I do completely despise Israel's actions. The era when you can occupy another country (yes country) and illegally settle their lands, lock up children etc etc is over.

Please when you make statements like that, specify exactly what lands you are making these charges about. Gaza? West Bank? Do you also include ISRAEL?

Please when you make statements like that, specify exactly what lands you are making these charges about. Gaza? West Bank? Do you also include ISRAEL?
Read the statement, I have previously stated Israel has a right to exist. I would limit that to the 1947 borders

Additionally I would not allow the destruction of buildings built on occupied land other than synagogues.

Edited by jdinasia
  • Like 2

Read the statement, I have previously stated Israel has a right to exist. I would limit that to the 1947 borders

Additionally I would not allow the destruction of buildings built on occupied land other than synagogues.

What the new "Palestine" will be Judenfrei?coffee1.gif

• Like 1

I neither hate Israel nor Jews.

Whether you do or don't is immaterial. There are plenty of Israel's critics that do and plenty that are dishonest about it to manipulate public opinion against them.

You have claimed that the Hamas charter is virtually the same as the Likud charter which is complete nonsense. The Hamas charter calls for genocide and the Likud charter does not. In fact, Likud does not even rule out a Palestinian state.

You have also poo-pooed the idea that Palestinian radicals want to commit genocide against Israelis, which they have clearly said repeatedly that they do. Either you are making stuff up or you just have no clue. Either way, I don't take your words - or your comrade's words - at face value.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

Whether you do or don't is immaterial. There are plenty of Israel's critics that do and plenty that are dishonest about it to manipulate public opinion against them.

That's definitely true. I actually appreciate the Israel demonizers that are open and honest about their hatred of Jews. That's easier to deal with than STEALTH antisemites who dance around it so much they always leave a bit of plausible deniability.

That's definitely true. I actually appreciate the Israel demonizers that are open and honest about their hatred of Jews. That's easier to deal with than STEALTH antisemites who dance around it so much they always leave a bit of plausible deniability.

The same can be said about supporters of Israel who use any excuse to cry "anti-Semitism"

• Like 2

I look forward to a time when Israel lives within its borders as initially established, and stops occupying Palestine.

All the Palestinians had to do was accept those borders in the first place, instead of declaring war on Israel and refusing any attempt to make peace for 66 years, but they DIDN'T and Hamas - half of the unity government - STILL refuse to recognize Israel to this day.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/hamas-official-denies-group-could-recognize-israel/

• Like 2

Israel has PLENTY of evidence of actual and obvious anti-Semitism to point to. They don't really need to make things up. whistling.gif

Yet quite often the supporters of Israel accuse anyone that criticises Israel of anti-Semitism. I notice it most when someone uses all CAPS.

I look forward to a time when Israel lives within its borders as initially established, and stops occupying Palestine.

It takes two to tango. Your rhetoric suggests you think only Israel is the blame for this failure. Not buying that.

• Like 1

Interesting article. He is no bigot and in no way advocates "genocide". That is a lie. He has right to his opinion and - even though I favor a two state solution - he might be correct, considering the fact the Palestinians refuse to make peace and recognize Israel as a Jewish state and have refused for many decades.

Because of his conservative bona fides, Rivlin cannot easily be dismissed. “Rivlin may turn out to be the most influential President in Israeli history,” Avishai Margalit, a liberal philosopher and a founder of Peace Now, told me. “He is a true believer but genuinely non-racist, not merely tolerant. He has sincere respect for the Arabs, which is so rare in so many circles.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/11/17/one-state-reality

Edited by Ulysses G.

Yes, thats an interesting article in the New Yorker.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/11/17/one-state-reality

Israel seems to be sleep walking into a one state solution if they are not prepared to give up their settlements or at least swap equivalent land for them. But Im sure Netanyahu has a plan..just curious what it is?

What are the options?

1. A unilateral declaration that the wall is Israels new border but connected by roads to various Israeli colonies through a patchwork of Palestinian Bantustans...the Palestinians would simply refuse to accept that. The world would not accept that either, with more countries coming out to recognize Palestine within the 67 borders.

2. The Israeli Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman route: Wholesale ethnic cleansing of 4 million Palestinians from the West Bank into Jordan, plus any Israeli Arabs who wont swear allegiance to the Jewish State of Israel. The world would definitely not accept that and may result in a serious escalation of the conflict world wide.

3. A sensible 2 state solution based on 67 borders and Barak and Olmerts 2000 and 2008 plans. 100% global and Arab recognition.

One thing I am certain of is that one day maybe decades from now Israelis and Palestinians will be so intertwined through transmigration that we wouldnt be able to tell them apart. They are geographic neighbors for eternity and people eventually intermingle. Thats the way the world evolves.

And this thread if it survives in cyberspace will be pored over with amusement by future students of history.

Edited by dexterm

The settlements breed resentment on the part of the local Palestinians who as I have said before see people displacing them that are not local Israelis.

The woman killed a few days ago was a South African immigrant. She has no more right to be there than stupid kids who leave the UK to fight in Syria with the same consequences.

Edited by Jay Sata

The settlements breed resentment on the part of the local Palestinians who as I have said before are not local Israelis.

The woman killed a few days ago was a South African immigrant. She has no more right to be there than stupid kids who leave the UK to fight in Syria with the same consequences.

Jewish people are indigenous to the region. Yes there are border disputes now ... but Jews are not "colonizers" in Israel but rather the ORIGINAL people. Painting Jews who have been oppressed as the "other" and non-white for thousands of years in the diaspora as white colonizers is absurd. It shows a simple mindedness about what is actually a very complex situation. Basically Israel demonizers don't really believe Jews belong in ANY of Israel, and they are definitely wrong. Again: Jewish people are indigenous to the region.

Nothing at all like when white Belgians brutally colonized Africa. The Belgians did not COME from Africa! They were ONLY there to rape the land and the people. They didn't come to Africa and revive their ancient Belgian language which came from Africa because they had NO connection to that land at all.

You can push the big lie that there isn't a special relationship between Jewish people and the land of Israel, a real and very strong historically verifiable relationship all you want and you might convince some uninformed people even, but it isn't true. The Zionist movement is unique and in our times it now means the state of Israel.

Edited by Jingthing

What amazes me is you admire Israel and the foreign migrants colonising the occupied territories so much but choose to live in Thailand!

The topic of my personal choices in life really does not belong here. On the West Bank settlements issue, you're flaming me (again) putting words and thoughts in my mouth that I never said. I have said many times that expansion of the west bank settlements is not helpful to any potential two state solution peace process (which I still perhaps naively support and think MIGHT still be possible). I do realize there may never be a two state solution ... but I do hope some kind of peaceful resolution can happen that allows Jews and Arabs to live in that region in peace with of course Israel remaining a state with a dominant Jewish character. Not sure of the eventual borders ... I'm not Bill Clinton.

I do disagree and am offended by your Israel demonization rhetoric. I do not buy your "progressive" line that Jews are white foreign invaders in Israel. Again, Jewish people are INDIGENOUS to the region. No, that doesn't mean all Jews in the world must or should live there but it does support the existence of Israel as a state with a dominant Jewish character.

The question of are Jews white is an interesting one. The perception of Jews as white or not changes over time. Obviously Ethiopian and Chinese Jews aren't white, but even not so many decades ago in the U.S. (the second largest current Jewish population in the world) Jews were not classified socially as white. But neither were Irish ... proving such social classifications are complicated.

Edited by Jingthing

Bottom line, Israel is holding on to a not wonderful "status quo" for the time being ... but I doubt there are many people on any side that really believes this current status quo won't be changing sometime in the future. How and when exactly? I have no idea.

• Like 1