Thai Transport Minister affirms on 13 percent taxi fare rise

webfact

Minister affirms on 13% taxi fare rise

30-10-2557-11-16-21-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Transport Minister ACM Prajin Juntong today insisted that taxi fare will be allowed to rise 13% while rejecting taxi association's call for 20% increase.

He said Thursday that the 13% increase has been well calculated to cover all cost factors.

He said the call for 20% rise was pressed by a small group of taxi drivers as the rest of drivers and operators were happy with the 13% increase.

Earlier yesterday the president of the Bangkok Taxi Drivers Cooperative Network, Mr Vitoon Naewpanich claimed the 8-13% gradual rise did not reflect the actual operation cost and called for a review of the adjustment.

He also demanded that the Transport Ministry allowed just a single rise in taxi fare as gradual increase meant taxis have to adjust their fare metres several times and also have to come under inspection which takes time and cost.

He also urged for tough legal action against illegal taxi operation by black licence plate private cars.

Currently there are 100,000 taxis which registered lawfully with the Land Transport Department, breaking down to 80,000 privately owned and company owned taxis, and the rest are rented taxis.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/minister-affirms-13-taxi-fare-rise/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-10-30

Does that mean we the passengers can soon also expect...

- a 13% higher willingness by drivers to switch off their overly loud lukthung and morlam music when requested?

- a 13% increase in vehicle interior cleanliness?

- 13% fewer mid-journey stops for restroom visits or re-fueling?

- a 13% higher willingness by the drivers to use the meter without having to be pushed?

- a 13% decrease in refusing a fare/destination for a plethora of shady reasons?

- a 13% higher chance of actually getting a taxi during torrential rain storms?

- a 13% increase in driving safety?

- a 13% increase in traffic law compliance?

- 13% less non-working seat belts?

- a 13% higher chance that the driver will have change for a 100-baht note?

Well, we'll see...

• Like 1

Just count your luck stars your are not on Samui.

1. 50 baht to get in the taxi.

2. 14 baht per Kilometer

3. 50 baht "surcharge" to get out again at the end.

IF you can get a taxi to use the meter.

And now an official 13% rise which means that Samui's taxi rates are going to go up by a further 20%.

Sheesh!

R

taxi50B.jpg

Edited by robsamui

- a 13% higher willingness by drivers to switch off their overly loud lukthung and morlam music when requested?

- a 13% higher willingness by the drivers to use the meter without having to be pushed?

- a 13% decrease in refusing a fare/destination for a plethora of shady reasons?

Well, we'll see...

Meanwhile, on Planet Earth..................................coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Well, we'll see...

so so nanny, depature line are on swampy, haha

Tried to use Taxis at one time, got frustrated by being refused fares, not using meter and trying to fix a price 3 to 5 times higher, rude, no seat belts, ignoring where you want to be dropped and just making convenient for himself,, etc, etc,,

So, gave up and make my own way on motorbike.. Now keep getting pulled over for tea money extractionxangry.png.pagespeed.ic.Cla6z9sEn6.png !

...can they simplify the increase to avoid confusion or abuse....???

...it used to start at 35 baht....will it now be 40 baht....???

...and the per kilometer or per minute rate.....they should be pasted somewhere, shouldn't they....???

Was in Bangkok for 3 days last week, used at least 20 times a taxi, around Sukhumvit, just went in the taxi told the driver where to go, he turned on the meter and went there, 20 times no problem....

I believe you had no issues but I thought it was a fun exercise to figure out the 20 taxi rides over 3 day's time.

Assuming you slept 8 hrs per day (just an assumption), that's 16 awake hours, x 3 = 48 awake hours / 20 rides = 2.4 rides per hour. ermm.gif

Was in Bangkok for 3 days last week, used at least 20 times a taxi, around Sukhumvit, just went in the taxi told the driver where to go, he turned on the meter and went there, 20 times no problem....

I believe you had no issues but I thought it was a fun exercise to figure out the 20 taxi rides over 3 day's time.

Assuming you slept 8 hrs per day (just an assumption), that's 16 awake hours, x 3 = 48 awake hours / 20 rides = 2.4 rides per hour. ermm.gif

Arithmetic error. It's 1 ride every 2.4 hours. But granted, that's still quite a lot.

Arithmetic error. It's 1 ride every 2.4 hours. But granted, that's still quite a lot.

That didn't sound right. Thanks.

• Like 1

Living in Bangkok for 15 years and making use of taxi's about 5 times a week, I can honestly say that 99% of the taxi drivers are ok. I'm fluent in Thai so maybe that helps. Most of them come from Issaan (Roi Et!!) and are honest, decent people. I only get in when they agree to turn on the meter. But most of the time this goes without saying. In 15 years this is only the second time the price increases (correct me if I'm wrong). Price/quality ratio is imo still a bargain.

• Like 1

It does not matter whether they raise fares or not. Many Taxi driver will continue to demand fixed fare higher than meter prices.

Greedy scammers.

This is utterly nonsense. Reading this comment makes me wander if the writer has ever been in a Bangkokian taxi.

even with the increase, thai taxi fares are still cheap compared to taxis in my own country.

For God's Sake!

You are NOT in your own country.

When will people ever ever learn that the only thing that matters in Thailand in the Thai people and the Thai prices.

And foreign visitors who come here and rant about how cheap it is just mess it all up for everyone else.

• 2 weeks later...

Last night refused by 7 taxis from Soi 5 to Soi 77. Went to the poice, they sent over a cop. The next taxi refused, claimed he was going off duty (with his red light on and waiting for a fare). Cop did nothing. 2nd (very rude) driver took me, shouting most of the way about the police. <deleted> them. Getting only exact change from now on.