Sweden recognises Palestinian state

webfact

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the arab countries taking part in the supposed coalition fighting isis are only paying lip service to the destruction of isis they are not as far as can be seen actually dropping bombs on isis.

Arab coalition member countries have been carrying our air strikes against IS in Syria since 23/09/2014; countries are Bahrain, Jordan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates. They have not been requested to contribute ground forces in Syria/Iraq and highly unlikely they ever will be for obvious regional balance of power politics.

Indeed we hear that may be the case but we don't actually see any proof that Bahraini, Jordanian, Qatari, or Saudi, UAE jets bombing ISIS. I think the reality is they provide logistical support but don't do any of the fighting. They do not take resposnibility to eradicate themselves of Jihadists, they are to busy tring to quell their own citizens discontent which probably pushes the more radical into the arms of Isis.

Isis is an Arab problem, of which they will not do anything about. Yet it is 100% for them to do destroy Isis. But the arabs prefer to pay others to do their fighting!

Edited by ggold

History will look back upon Sweden's recent decision as a watershed moment towards justice for Palestine. And that is what has Israel and its apologists so frightened. Times have changed, and due to its abhorrent behavior, Israel has essentially become irrelevant to the Palestinian statehood process.

By the way, how ironic that for decades Israel cried that it only wanted to be recognized, and in a very short time it will be only Israel and its apologists who refuse to recognize Palestine.

More like Israel is afraid a Palestinian state would do what Hamas says it wants to do ... get stronger and put an end to Israel. Jews have learned the hard lesson from history that when people say they want to wipe you out better believe them.

A change of heart ... a real show of acceptance of Israel as a Jewish state is needed. Proclaiming terrorists as heroes is the wrong direction.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I don't take your dramatic fears seriously, but lets for a moment entertain them along with the idea of Palestinian statehood.

Think about it JT. Palestine becomes a state and attempts to do what you fear. As a state, there is now an entity for the global community to act against. And they would.

Or do you think that the state of Palestine would cherry pick which Geneva conventions to sign up to, like Israel, and thus not be committing crimes?

along with your previous comment they are naive at best! There is an entity for the global community to act against, they are called Hamas and Fatah both terrorist organisations. The idea that by giving terrorists land you create an entity by which you could then deal with them is a joke. Gaza has proven that!

Also you don't cherry pick the Geneva Conventions, you either sign up to them or not. Israel is signed up to them.

• Like 2

History will look back upon Sweden's recent decision as a watershed moment towards justice for Palestine. And that is what has Israel and its apologists so frightened. Times have changed, and due to its abhorrent behavior, Israel has essentially become irrelevant to the Palestinian statehood process.

By the way, how ironic that for decades Israel cried that it only wanted to be recognized, and in a very short time it will be only Israel and its apologists who refuse to recognize Palestine.

At the end of the day if there ever was to be a palestinian state it would be reliant on Israel to survive as a viable entity. On it's own a palestinian state would never survive economically. oddly enough the other arab nations aren't to interested in that aspect of the situation. Besides which Hamas and Fatah will soon be at each others necks for control over the territories they have.

Due to both its immoral actions on the ground and inaction towards a negotiated peace, the world has decided that Israel will no longer dictate how the inevitable process towards Palestinian statehood moves forward. The only question now is which European nation will be the next to recognize Palestine.

thumbsup.gifclap2.gifthumbsup.gifclap2.gif

By the way, here's a photo from the signing of the document in which Sweden officially recognized the state of Palestine!

really clutching at straws with that one. If the Arabs want a land then they better make peace with Israel first. recognition does not a state make! If they force the situation then Israel will take the neccasary actions.

• Like 2

More like Israel is afraid a Palestinian state would do what Hamas says it wants to do ... get stronger and put an end to Israel. Jews have learned the hard lesson from history that when people say they want to wipe you out better believe them.

A change of heart ... a real show of acceptance of Israel as a Jewish state is needed. Proclaiming terrorists as heroes is the wrong direction.

I don't take your dramatic fears seriously, but lets for a moment entertain them along with the idea of Palestinian statehood.

Think about it JT. Palestine becomes a state and attempts to do what you fear. As a state, there is now an entity for the global community to act against. And they would.

Or do you think that the state of Palestine would cherry pick which Geneva conventions to sign up to, like Israel, and thus not be committing crimes?

along with your previous comment they are naive at best! There is an entity for the global community to act against, they are called Hamas and Fatah both terrorist organisations. The idea that by giving terrorists land you create an entity by which you could then deal with them is a joke. Gaza has proven that!

Also you don't cherry pick the Geneva Conventions, you either sign up to them or not. Israel is signed up to them.

Then ignored them!!

Hamas and Fatah are not bound by anything to do with the UN, the ICC, or the Geneva Convention. Fatah is NOT a terrorist organisation, and also can not be held responsible for anything in Gaza.

Israel cherrypicks. Israel has declined to ratify 3 of the four Protocols. (Just as they refuse to be bound by the nuclear NPT.). Protocol 4 is one that remains unsigned. P4 is the one that defines occupied land and declares settling on occupied land to be in breach.. They do not agree to abide by certain rules and measures that most of the rest of the world are bound by.

I reckon signing up to all international treaties would be one of the prerequisites of statehood being granted to Palestine. If they get the 67 borders back, sovereignty over their own shoreline and airspace, and some compo for widows and orphans, some compo for destroyed buildings, and generally a fair deal, they would be dancing in the streets and worshipping whichever leader wrangled it. They would shun Hammas. They would not dare rock the boat.

Peace is possible.

At the end of the day if there ever was to be a palestinian state it would be reliant on Israel to survive as a viable entity. On it's own a palestinian state would never survive economically. oddly enough the other arab nations aren't to interested in that aspect of the situation. Besides which Hamas and Fatah will soon be at each others necks for control over the territories they have.

They've just "exported" 10 tons of cucumbers out of Gaza. That's remarkable considering the devastation wreaked upon Gaza only a couple of months ago. Imagine what they could do if they could source fertilizers and rubber hoses and didn't need to rebuild their houses. That's just Gaza. They can indeed run an economy.

Funny dream. hamas is the most popular by far wb and gaza and hamas is clear on its goal of ending Israel.

You keep on harping on about that and you keep on ignoring the high likeliehood of Hamas' popularity dwindling to insignificant if a fair deal was made with Abbas. Those people are tired and hungry, intergenerationally. They want a fair deal. If they got it, they wouldn't want to lose it.

Funny dream. hamas is the most popular by far wb and gaza and hamas is clear on its goal of ending Israel.

You keep on harping on about that and you keep on ignoring the high likeliehood of Hamas' popularity dwindling to insignificant if a fair deal was made with Abbas. Those people are tired and hungry, intergenerationally. They want a fair deal. If they got it, they wouldn't want to lose it.

That's the line of those who place ALL the blame on Israel anyway.

No, that's my line and I don't exonerate Hammas. You know this, so why do you make these silly retorts?

No, that's my line and I don't exonerate Hammas. You know this, so why do you make these silly retorts?

Who cares what you think? The point is Hamas. They're terrorists and the majority of Palestinians support them. Their aim is to wipe out Israel. Their intentions are genocidal. And you are happy to invite Jews to surrender to such forces and allow them to gain more power? I think you are tripping and I don't believe you're interested in the future of Israel as a Jewish state any more than Hamas is. Happily, Israel is not so stupid as to fall for such disingenuous "progressive" crapola. You know I support progressive policies when they're possible. But Israel is dealing with a force that they don't have the luxury of being progressive with if they hope to survive. It's no surprise the left wing is so weak in Israel, It wouldn't be if the Palestinians were reasonable BUT THEY ARE NOT! A Palestinian state, sure, but not at the expense of the existence of Israel as Jewish state ... no deal, ever, no matter how many terrorist enablers like Sweden sign their fake meaningless papers.

Also you can act like the history of the Jewish people, thousands of years, didn't happen. But it did. And now there is Israel. Finally Jews have the power of a state. Jews listen now really hard when you announce you want to slaughter them and now they can do something about it. Give that up voluntarily? Dream on.

Edited by Jingthing

Who cares what you think? The point is Hamas. They're terrorists and the majority of Palestinians support them. Their aim is to wipe out Israel. Their intentions are genocidal. And you are happy to invite Jews to surrender to such forces and allow them to gain more power? I think you are tripping and I don't believe you're interested in the future of Israel as a Jewish state any more than Hamas is. Happily, Israel is not so stupid as to fall for such disingenuous "progressive" crapola. You know I support progressive policies when they're possible. But Israel is dealing with a force that they don't have the luxury of being progressive with if they hope to survive. It's no surprise the left wing is so weak in Israel, It wouldn't be if the Palestinians were reasonable BUT THEY ARE NOT! A Palestinian state, sure, but not at the expense of the existence of Israel as Jewish state ... no deal, ever, no matter how many terrorist enablers like Sweden sign their fake meaningless papers.

Also you can act like the history of the Jewish people, thousands of years, didn't happen. But it did. And now there is Israel. Finally Jews have the power of a state. Jews listen now really hard when you announce you want to slaughter them and now they can do something about it. Give that up voluntarily? Dream on.

Can't you see Israel is backing itself into a corner so allowing its enemies to get a foothold in attacking it for the first time. That's why it is scared to take on Iran as will have been told not to by its big brother.

Hamas are not about to let Abbas take over Gaza, they don't even want the PA and UN involved with the distribution of building materials. It may very well be that the people are dissillusioned by Hamas. But Hamas have shown they are equally willing to kill arabs as Israelis if it means losing control of Gaza. Add to that the news today that cars and homes belonging to fatah people in Gaza were blown up Just when the EU foreign affairs minister was due to visit Gaza and the PA were going to be there as well. Shows that it is far from a inity government as claimed by Abbas.

It will be quite interesting when these two groups end up fighting each other. At this time there is no peace partner on the arab side.

Just to say 10 tons of cucumbers must be quite a high percentage of the GDP for Gaza!!!!! more than enough to survive economically as a country giggle.gif what was I thinking whistling.gif

Hamas are not about to let Abbas take over Gaza, they don't even want the PA and UN involved with the distribution of building materials. It may very well be that the people are dissillusioned by Hamas. But Hamas have shown they are equally willing to kill arabs as Israelis if it means losing control of Gaza. Add to that the news today that cars and homes belonging to fatah people in Gaza were blown up Just when the EU foreign affairs minister was due to visit Gaza and the PA were going to be there as well. Shows that it is far from a inity government as claimed by Abbas.

It will be quite interesting when these two groups end up fighting each other. At this time there is no peace partner on the arab side.

Just to say 10 tons of cucumbers must be quite a high percentage of the GDP for Gaza!!!!! more than enough to survive economically as a country giggle.gif what was I thinking whistling.gif

Hamas can't let anyone get involved with the building materials as they need to re build their tunnel network first.

Hamas and Fatah are not bound by anything to do with the UN, the ICC, or the Geneva Convention. Fatah is NOT a terrorist organisation, and also can not be held responsible for anything in Gaza.

Israel cherrypicks. Israel has declined to ratify 3 of the four Protocols. (Just as they refuse to be bound by the nuclear NPT.). Protocol 4 is one that remains unsigned. P4 is the one that defines occupied land and declares settling on occupied land to be in breach.. They do not agree to abide by certain rules and measures that most of the rest of the world are bound by.

I reckon signing up to all international treaties would be one of the prerequisites of statehood being granted to Palestine. If they get the 67 borders back, sovereignty over their own shoreline and airspace, and some compo for widows and orphans, some compo for destroyed buildings, and generally a fair deal, they would be dancing in the streets and worshipping whichever leader wrangled it. They would shun Hammas. They would not dare rock the boat.

Peace is possible.

try to get your facts right!

Fatah is a terrorist organisation, they fired rockets into Israel as well as Hamas, Hamas have executed Fatah memebers in the last conflict. As for the 4th protocol

Since 1997 the Arab group at the United Nations has been trying to invoke the Fourth Geneva Convention against Israel, in regard to its settlements in the West Bank and Gaza Strip, and in particular at Har Homa in Jerusalem. This is a tactic in the on-going Palestinian Arab attempts to undermine the Oslo "Peace Process". Rather than participate in bi-lateral negotiations as agreed in the Oslo Accords and successive documents, it is more satisfactory to the Palestinian Arabs to appeal for international condemnation of Israel.

Israel rejects applying the Fourth Geneva Convention to Israeli settlements in the West Bank and Gaza Strip, stating that those territories were captured in 1967 as a result of a defensive war against Jordan and Egypt, countries which had illegally occupied them since 1948. Furthermore, it is Article 49 that is commonly cited to accuse Israel of violating the Fourth Geneva Convention. But a close reading of Article 49 reveals that it prohibits "individual or mass forcible transfers" which are not happening in the territories under Israeli administration. Further, the Occupying Power is obliged not to "deport or transfer parts of its own civilian population" to territories under its control. The use of "deport" and "transfer" indicate that the Convention prohibits the Occupying Power from the active or forcible transfer of its own civilians. Article 49 does not oblige Israel to prevent voluntary settlement by its civilian population just because Arabs don't like it.

It is also interesting to find in the Fourth Geneva Convention, in Art. 3 and elsewhere,prohibitions of murder, violence to life and person, and other acts that are commonlyemployed by Palestinian Arabs against innocent Israeli civilians. To date no one in the international community has made a formal protest against these Palestinian Arab tactics.

http://www.palestinefacts.org/pf_1967to1991_4thgeneva.php

the arab countries taking part in the supposed coalition fighting isis are only paying lip service to the destruction of isis they are not as far as can be seen actually dropping bombs on isis.

Arab coalition member countries have been carrying our air strikes against IS in Syria since 23/09/2014; countries are Bahrain, Jordan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates. They have not been requested to contribute ground forces in Syria/Iraq and highly unlikely they ever will be for obvious regional balance of power politics.

Indeed we hear that may be the case but we don't actually see any proof that Bahraini, Jordanian, Qatari, or Saudi, UAE jets bombing ISIS. I think the reality is they provide logistical support but don't do any of the fighting. They do not take resposnibility to eradicate themselves of Jihadists, they are to busy tring to quell their own citizens discontent which probably pushes the more radical into the arms of Isis.

Isis is an Arab problem, of which they will not do anything about. Yet it is 100% for them to do destroy Isis. But the arabs prefer to pay others to do their fighting!

The US allocates air strike missions and there have been a number of reports they have been actioned by Arab member countries of the coalition.

To my knowledge neither the US, Syria or Iraq have requested Arab (Sunni) member countries to contribute ground forces in the fight against IS in Syria and Iraq. It is alledged it will take up to a year for Iraqi and Kurdish forces to be sufficiently trained and equipped to launch a concerted ground campaign against IS in Syria and Iraq; potentially combined with a greater level of involvement by Iranian forces.

Are you saying the Arab member countries should take unilateral action against the wishes of the US, Syria and Iraq that more than likely would create even more destablisation in the region.

Edited by simple1

Obviously you care what I think because you always read and reply. smile.png Thanks.

There you go again talking about the popularity of Hamas, and then go on about no wonder the left is so weak in Israel; The point I've been making over and over which you keep ignoring is, no wonder the Palestians are so right-wing. If the Israelis were reasonable Hamas would have no support. BUT THEY ARE NOT!

• Like 1

The point I've been making over and over which you keep ignoring is, no wonder the Palestians are so right-wing. If the Israelis were reasonable Hamas would have no support. BUT THEY ARE NOT!

The point is pretty stupid. The Palestinian supported violence and terrorism long before Hamas, when they far outnumbered the Jews and the Arabs had much power than their enemies did.

• Like 1

don't take your dramatic fears seriously, but lets for a moment entertain them along with the idea of Palestinian statehood.

Peace is possible.

try to get your facts right!

Fatah is a terrorist organisation, they fired rockets into Israel as well as Hamas, Hamas have executed Fatah memebers in the last conflict. As for the 4th protocol

Since 1997 the Arab group at the United Nations has been trying to invoke the Fourth Geneva Convention against Israel, in regard to its settlements in the West Bank and Gaza Strip, and in particular at Har Homa in Jerusalem. This is a tactic in the on-going Palestinian Arab attempts to undermine the Oslo "Peace Process". Rather than participate in bi-lateral negotiations as agreed in the Oslo Accords and successive documents, it is more satisfactory to the Palestinian Arabs to appeal for international condemnation of Israel.

Israel rejects applying the Fourth Geneva Convention to Israeli settlements in the West Bank and Gaza Strip, stating that those territories were captured in 1967 as a result of a defensive war against Jordan and Egypt, countries which had illegally occupied them since 1948. Furthermore, it is Article 49 that is commonly cited to accuse Israel of violating the Fourth Geneva Convention. But a close reading of Article 49 reveals that it prohibits "individual or mass forcible transfers" which are not happening in the territories under Israeli administration. Further, the Occupying Power is obliged not to "deport or transfer parts of its own civilian population" to territories under its control. The use of "deport" and "transfer" indicate that the Convention prohibits the Occupying Power from the active or forcible transfer of its own civilians. Article 49 does not oblige Israel to prevent voluntary settlement by its civilian population just because Arabs don't like it.

It is also interesting to find in the Fourth Geneva Convention, in Art. 3 and elsewhere,prohibitions of murder, violence to life and person, and other acts that are commonlyemployed by Palestinian Arabs against innocent Israeli civilians. To date no one in the international community has made a formal protest against these Palestinian Arab tactics.

http://www.palestinefacts.org/pf_1967to1991_4thgeneva.php

Please, you try to get your facts straight. Both the US and Israel rescinded their designation of Fatah as terrorist back in the '90s.

The way Israel skirts international law, if not directly defying it, is insidious and dishonest. Criminal.