How to Deal with a Jerk as a Landlord?

You can find out from the juristic office at the condo who is the owners of the unit and lodge a compliant

of harassment with them and ask to meet them in person, the juristic office should be able to help you

with that or convey a message to the owners, and if he comes around all belligerent on you just lodge

a compliant against him with the cops, and not having a work permit will work against him,

stand for your right as a tenant, I'm a landlord of several units in Bkk and this is completely unacceptable....

• Like 1

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find this quite funny. I rented a house before and the rent was due on the 1st of every month. I had it set up for automatic payment from my Kasikorn, but sometimes when I tried to set it, it wouldn't let me cause the 1st was on a Sunday. So what I started to do was set the payment up for the 26th 27th 28th or whatever day wasn't on a Sunday. My Thai landlady got so used to the payment being a few days early, one time it went in on the 1st and she phoned my wife and complained. Ha bloody Ha, how dare she?

• Like 1

OP - despite some of the wise - cracker statements ... you are in the right ... and I would personally do anything to keep my premises ... Thai entry doors usually have a flange - where the landlord can attach a big lock - you don't have to the key to it and they can lock you out... Place your own BIG LOCK in it -- so he cannot do that... Tesco and other places also sell a cone like covering for your door knob lock - with a big lock barring its removal ... Take one of these actions and he cannot easily lock you out... Also - remove your valuable items and find a place to store them ...

Next go to where you pay your rent in cash ... turn on you video cam in your phone and demand to make payment for this months rent... show the money on camera -- show the date with a calendar page ... speak slowly and calmly - recite the day / time of your effort to pay rent... give your phone number ... be polite

If you are refused by him or his agent to accept rent WITH RECEIPT - you have it on video - date - time stamped... then stay in your apartment as long as you wish...

Makes plans to move out to another place - secure the new place with a partial prepayment - with written receipt... Stay in your current place until you have gotten your money's worth -- clean up ...take copious photos - date and time stamped ... photos of the electric meter - start - stop at all times is always advisable ...

Make sure he knows of your taking photos of everything . And if he does an encounter with you and become near violent -- video him and make it clear that you are video recording him.

Then move when you are ready -- by moving in stages at night - little by little ...

Then when you feel you have proper exchange of value -- Leave -- leaving the extra locks on the door... The landlord will have to have them cut off to gain entry .. and expense to him ...

Fight Fire with Fire

Were you not aware that taking photo's in someone else's property without owners approval is illegal?

Of course it is.

Is using the bathroom illegal too??

Am I missing something here?

If you made an agreement either verbally or written that the rent was due on the 28th why would you not keep to it?

If he is a property manager he probably does monthly returns to his owners and wants the rent paid before the end of the monthso he can deduct his fees and pay the owners. All normal business practice, but it is better if you handle your tenants in a

polite professional manner.

Oh give it a rest <deleted>. What is it with some of these nitpickers??

He was a day or two late. Is that really such a big deal? Did the tenant deserve the attitude he got from this agent?

As a agent, he acted very unprofessionally and was way out of line in my opinion. Guess one day he may come across a tenant less understanding and teach him a thing or two in manners and respect.

I find this quite funny. I rented a house before and the rent was due on the 1st of every month. I had it set up for automatic payment from my Kasikorn, but sometimes when I tried to set it, it wouldn't let me cause the 1st was on a Sunday. So what I started to do was set the payment up for the 26th 27th 28th or whatever day wasn't on a Sunday. My Thai landlady got so used to the payment being a few days early, one time it went in on the 1st and she phoned my wife and complained. Ha bloody Ha, how dare she?

thats why you have rules in place, like not later then... if it states on the contract, she has no reason to call your wife... its not like you're 10 days late. Usually contracts have a clause stating if you're late in payments, you will need to pay a fee, mine is 500 baht penalty every day until rent is paid. i dont know if that is legal to charge such a big fee.

Most people just move, with no forwarding address, and no notice, it's the Thai way.

Very few expect their deposit back. That's why they only give 1 month.

It's just your OP is one in a series of 'weak' behaviour posts,

The one about the teaching assistant who didn't dare quit,

The one about the guy that lets his gf have all his documents,

Not to mention the guy who doesn't like his photo taken,

Seems like a never ending string of complaints from people who just need to learn how to walk away.

When the going gets tough, the tough get going!

Are you related to John Wayne? The biggest a$$hole in hell?

Most people just move, with no forwarding address, and no notice, it's the Thai way.

Very few expect their deposit back. That's why they only give 1 month.

It's just your OP is one in a series of 'weak' behaviour posts,

The one about the teaching assistant who didn't dare quit,

The one about the guy that lets his gf have all his documents,

Not to mention the guy who doesn't like his photo taken,

Seems like a never ending string of complaints from people who just need to learn how to walk away.

When the going gets tough, the tough get going!

I missed this one and can't find it but am intrigued. Any chance of a link or more info for search?

Is he a drinker?????

Meantime I have the worlds best landlord...ever.

We have never met the Thai women that owns the apartment and she never ever comes around or says anything at all other than Merry Xmas and Happy New Year.

We transfer the rent money to her every month and she has never come around to inspect the apartment in nearly 3 years now.

If we are 2 or 3 days or a week late paying, for what ever reason, then we never hear from her.

When ever something needs to be fixed...like the air conditioner, we just deduct the repair cost from the rent money when the next rent payment comes due and she never questions the expense to repair the air conditioner.

One time the air con guy ( nice guy, super prompt service...cheap cost ) tells me it is better to replace this particular kind of air conditioner with a new one and a new brand ( Mitsubishi ) and the cost all said and done is 20,000 baht....or continue to repair the present worn out unit about once a month....your choice.

So I have him talk to the owner of the apartment and he explains to her in Thai why it is recommend to replace the old unit with a better brand and more reliable for 20,000 baht ....her decision...up to you he says.

She agrees and then 2 days later she calls me and asks me my advice about the air conditioner saying she trusts me and my judgment because I have been such a good tenant...she says.

I told her the same as the air con man and explained the air con is not working correctly and it is dripping a lot of water about every month now while the air con man is correct about that brand of air conditioner being a cheaper and a more often troublesome brand of air conditioner where as Mitsubishi is known to be better and reliable....like a Mercedes Benz verses a Toyota..... I told her.

She paid it without any argument.

I should take her out to dinner...just for being the land lord from heaven

Cheers and have a good day.

• Like 1

Just pay on time on the 28th, how hard is that? You would avoid all the troubles and confrontation, just move out when your contract ends. Also why would you pay through an agent? If you still want your deposit back, perhaps you should be playing nice with him since there is no other choice. This is Thailand, no need to try to video tape him, go to the police, sue, etc. The best advice like the previous poster said is to get in touch with the landlord directly and discuss the issue of the agents behavior, apartments office will have all the landlords contact info.

Also you should be paying rent direct to the landlord/owner through bank transfer. Good luck.

We already had a big argument today, i was waiting for him to make the first swing but did not happen;) its unfortunate even farangs treating farangs like shit even when you put food on there table. you know what they say, you dont bite the hand from the one who feeds you & I straight out told him that today and arrogant like he is, he did not give a shit.

He's an all bark & no bite kinda dog. They are everywhere and never learn. Just move on and cut your losses as far as possible.

"he is just an agent renting condos out"

I wonder if he has a work permit.

I doubt he has a working permit;) but im not a snake, thats why im not naming any names. He even has a website stating he is renting them out and for the past 7 years or so... but who am I to judge if he does or not... but if he does not have a working permit and he is being such a j e r k, he his walking on thin line... one day he will piss off the wrong person & he will be reported.

thanks for the topic and feedback however, you say that some day he will or might be reported>? I ask you and anyone else reported to whom. I am a co owner and live in a Condo that seems to have many people renting daily illegally since the AGM and EGm two years ago voted 85 percent to stop short time illegal rentals and they showed letters from Condo laws and Hotel Laws in Thailand being ignored and that they had the right to go to court but first the signs all over the lifts for years now saying they will shut the water and cut off common area cards and use of pool and gym etc. However these so called agents are not Thai and not even co owners that are sticking people in by the day and everyone says someday someone will report them and that the co owners are probably not paying taxes and the agents are getting big money for sometimes selling and 3Percent fees or one month fees or who knows what else and do they have work permits? I know one person contacted 1111 Prime Ministers hotline to complain many times and nothing happened. So again I ask who to complain to about any thing possibly illegal? and good luck with your problem since I bought because I had many problems with co owners and agents either ripping off the co owner and not paying them the exact money I was giving or refusing to give proper receipts or telling me no return on deposit since they say I damaged something whatever. I am happy I bought my unit since I made it the way I wanted it but I read so many people rent for years and years and make someone rich and they complain about their residences and landlords but say they would never buy a place here. It pays for itself after a certain amount of years staying here to own. My point of view. All the best to those that disagree. Cheers to all.

I have been here 10 years and thru 3 . falange landlords on different matters, wherein I, in any other country, would have legal recourse against him but, in Thailand, landlord has all power and you/me = none. I gave up 2 security deposits, 80,000 B to avoid homicide !

Does he own the property, or is he an agent / sub let?

If he isn't the owner, find out who is and deal direct.

If the owner found out what was being done in his name he probably wouldn't be very happy about the situation.

It's a similar scenario with the guy who posted recently about the management stealing his electricity bill money. Once the owner was informed he stepped in and paid the bill himself so he didn't lose a valuable tennant who could have taken many months to replace.

Very much agreed, had a similar situation sometime back with my house that I rent near work, and the Landlord who was actually not the owner was messing around, not fixing stuff etc. I told him was giving notice. Anyway, one of our neighbors heard about it, and a day later I got a telephone call from the actual owner, who then drove up from Hua Hin to Koh Chang. Result, "landlord" got sacked, my rent got reduced, everything got fixed and I deal direct with them. Lovely people to. Suffice to say, he was messing them around with payments.

• Like 1

I am amazed, puzzled, what's the real issue???.....just pay the rent on 28th of the month, problem solved.

if you were in my shoes you would not ask this question... many issues but i will not get into them. im dealing with a landlord that is evil in charather. how would you feel about a person that is a landlord in a big complex and he talks shit about many people? he snaps at almost everybody, even the delevery guys at 7/11.. he is just a pure ignorant in my books!

He is an agent, I already stated that above. As for the owner, I already emailed this individual, still waiting for a reply.

no need to reply to this thread anymore people, I got all the info i needed, i dont want to come accross a drama queen like someone stated earlier but 500.00US dollars his not a small amount & I will not give this prick 1 penny from it! money his hard to come by these days.

Based on what has been written by your good self to date, It appears you do have an attitude problem yourself, and this may in fact be compounding the situation you find yourself in, based on what your have written, you appear hostile, openly aggressive, condescending, full of entitlement and yes a drama queen.

if your presented yourself in the manner in which your posts are written, quite surprised the guy hasn't smacked you in chops already dear boy, always two sides to every story and it seems at present we are only getting your version of events.

So before mouthing off maybe take a look in the mirror.

He is an agent, I already stated that above. As for the owner, I already emailed this individual, still waiting for a reply.

no need to reply to this thread anymore people, I got all the info i needed, i dont want to come accross a drama queen like someone stated earlier but 500.00US dollars his not a small amount & I will not give this prick 1 penny from it! money his hard to come by these days.

Based on what has been written by your good self to date, It appears you do have an attitude problem yourself, and this may in fact be compounding the situation you find yourself in, based on what your have written, you appear hostile, openly aggressive, condescending, full of entitlement and yes a drama queen.

if your presented yourself in the manner in which your posts are written, quite surprised the guy hasn't smacked you in chops already dear boy, always two sides to every story and it seems at present we are only getting your version of events.

So before mouthing off maybe take a look in the mirror.

so, in your opinion its ok to have a landlord harrassing you? if i was aggressive or hostile, he would be the one smacked in the chops by now. Yes, i agree always two sides of a story but in this case, i think the landlord/agent is being hostile and aggressive.

Edited by stephanschalko
  • Like 1

OP, in reality he has done nothing illegal to you besides being rude.

So grow a pair of balls, and just ignore him or pack your bags and move.

No point making ultimatums on Thai Visa, if you want to make one, make one to his face.

Most likely you will not get your 1 month deposit, so either get over it, or do not pay rent and move out 1-2 weeks later.

Legally he can not kick you out and if he enters the premises or locks you out, you can call the police and have him arrested.

Good advise

Hmmm - Is it just me or does anyone else wonder if this "apparently" horrible landlord might also be a member of this forum and has read all the above post. If so it could certainly be interesting when these guy's next meet. cheesy.gif

How many landlords and tenants in Thailand? did i name any names? who cares if he is a member of this forum. this is a lesson to all tenants... rent month to month and do not give 1 month deposit. try to rent directly from owner, it will save you many headaches.

Edited by stephanschalko