Remembrance Day Plans

David48

Its about remembrance day and it reminds me of mans stupidity thats what remembrance day means to me ........what dont you understand? I do not have to show any respect.

OK Kannot, I am big enough to admit when I have read the situation wrongly.

I now understand the context of you post and offer you my apologies, I am sorry.

Its not my intention to offend in this, no need to apologise but "man" is his own worst enemy , why cant we all just get along...........well many reasons I suppose but stupidity, selfishness , greed , religion etc you name it.

We will surely annihilate ourselves, in a few billion years no one will be here to remember anything.

Just imagine the difference in history without any wars although there are many advancements because of war.

Sorry David if you think I hijacked the thread but thats what remembrance means to me.

Was thinking whisky, or rum

If you want to follow traditions, 'Gunfire' (tea and rum) is served at reveille by some British Army regiments (but not all) on Remembrance Day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunfire_%28drink%29

I suppose that in Scottish regiments, whisky would be the tipple of choice.

To be honest, Gunfire is bogging (never liked tea), so the Scottish regiments get the better end of the deal. smile.png

'Gunfire' was only ever served at dawn on xmas day or on operations where temperatures fell below freezing for several days (the exact criteria was in QR 75 but i suspect it's long been withdrawn, H&S an' all that!). Officers served it @ xmas.

HTH

In my regiment it was served 4 times a year, X-mas, Regimental Day, Remembrance Day and Minden Day.

It was served to our bedside by the officers (from a Norwegian Container), who were accompanied by the drums platoon banging out a drum roll to wake you up.

As mentioned in my last post about Gunfire, not all regiments have Gunfire on Remembrance Day, each individual regiment carries out its own traditions.

• Like 1

As mentioned by someone else in this topic war is amongst (if not the most) stupid action done by humans, and it never ends, most sadly.

I used to work at Luxembourg Airport for 9 years and drove by the nearby American Cemetery twice a day to/from my home in Hesperange. I sometimes just parked my car and walked around the cemetery to shed some tears for all these lost lives. Remembrance Day is every day.

Note to self, next year, if I 'remember' ... start another, counter thread in the Pub forum, to discuss the virtues, or not of, going to War.

The good of the many, outweigh the good of the few, or the one.

To that one Military person, who may, or may not have given the ultimate sacrifice, come the 11th Hour of the 11th Day of the 11th Month, may I take the time to personally remember you ... wai.gif

I said a prayer for those brave men and kids ..

David , are you saying you will still be here in a year's time facepalm.gif

• Like 1

Nice little piece on the news on rememberence day.

It's was about all the animals that have died during all wars and those serving now.

It covered horses dogs donkeys pigeons etc and it was a great little piece and something I had never really thought of.

One story from WW1 was of a carrier pigeon shot down by a German soldier and despite having a wing half blown off walked 2 miles back to base to deliver the message and then died.

Of nothing compares with the loss of human life but it was great seeing the animals getting a mention!

Lest we forget.

It's was about all the animals that have died during all wars and those serving now.

It covered horses dogs donkeys pigeons etc and it was a great little piece and something I had never really thought of.

One story from WW1 was of a carrier pigeon shot down by a German soldier and despite having a wing half blown off walked 2 miles back to base to deliver the message and then died.

Of nothing compares with the loss of human life but it was great seeing the animals getting a mention!

Lest we forget.

me being a pigeon man through and through,

if memory serves me right there was 18 dicken medals won by pigeons,

they did a great service, let to fly home out of spotter planes,bombers and from the front line in the heat of battle, great little featherd friends, i have many here in thailand on the farm, not for racing, just so ive got some round me all different colours,

and some call them flying rats,, not the ones in the war, they were they animal heros,,

god rest all who gave,,

Lest we forget.

me being a pigeon man through and through,

if memory serves me right there was 18 dicken medals won by pigeons,

they did a great service, let to fly home out of spotter planes,bombers and from the front line in the heat of battle, great little featherd friends, i have many here in thailand on the farm, not for racing, just so ive got some round me all different colours,

and some call them flying rats,, not the ones in the war, they were they animal heros,,

god rest all who gave,,

god rest all who gave,,

Indeedy.

post-223153-0-53065200-1415758574_thumb.

• Like 1

Great story ... thumbsup.gif

Obviously not a French Pigeon though.

Comment

Locked in combat in the mud of the Battle of Passchendaele in October 1917, British troops needed to get an urgent signal back to their headquarters from the front line.

A messenger was despatched on a journey which should have taken 20 minutes. But shortly after setting off, while near the Menin Road – a notoriously vulnerable ridge – the courier came under fire. A bullet broke a leg and passed out of the body though the back, while the small metal message cylinder was left embedded in the side.

Pigeon-medal_2788340c.jpgThe Dickin Medal awarded to the pigeon (BNPS)

Despite the horrendous injuries, the messenger dutifully continued, until finally completing the mission, delivering the message, after an agonising journey of more than 21 hours – before dying the next day.

But this feat of endurance and perseverance was achieved not by a soldier but by a pigeon, known only as 2709, one of thousands to serve – and die – in the First World War.

• Like 2

The PDSA Dickin Medal - recognised as the animals' Victoria Cross - was named after Maria Dickin, the founder of the PDSA, formerly known as the People's Dispensary for Sick Animals (PDSA). Between 1943 and 1949, 54 animals received the medal, including 32 pigeons, 18 dogs and 3 horses

Great story ... thumbsup.gif

Obviously not a French Pigeon though.

why is that obvious?