Vietnamese Coffee

gennisis

I have read about how good this coffee is and have come across a vietnamese supplier who will post to Thailand.Prices seem to range accross the board 1000 baht to 200 baht for 250 grm packs.

My question is....is this coffee realy different and superior to the thai brands?

I can appreciate that we all have different tastes but this coffee does seem to get good reviews.

Love VN coffee brewed through one of those sitting on the cup drip filter things. Always found VN coffee to have a slightly chocolate taste. A cafe su da while sitting in the shade of an open air coffee shop and watching the office girls heading home in HCMC is a fond memory.

• Like 1

I heard that mostly of Vietnamese roaster add to the beans cocoa butter, once in Saigon i tried many coffee shop and i frankly disagreed with the after taste i got, too unnaturally sweet, just my personal opinion.

There is a shop in Sukhumvit 13 inside a small shopping mall which sale Vietnamese coffee.

And yes, the best way to drink it is brewing it by a dripper not by a coffee machine.

Well, whatever brand of Vietnamese coffee you get, make sure that it is very finely ground. Many Vietnamese/Chinese stores in Little Saigon (Westminster, CA) sell Vietnamese/French coffee with chicory. That is my favorite. Perhaps the most famous and expensive of the Vietnamese coffees is Cafe Cut Chon. It's hard to find but very good. It must be thoroughly washed, of course. I would appreciate knowing the name of the VN coffee shop on Suk 13.

Well, whatever brand of Vietnamese coffee you get, make sure that it is very finely ground. Many Vietnamese/Chinese stores in Little Saigon (Westminster, CA) sell Vietnamese/French coffee with chicory. That is my favorite. Perhaps the most famous and expensive of the Vietnamese coffees is Cafe Cut Chon. It's hard to find but very good. It must be thoroughly washed, of course. I would appreciate knowing the name of the VN coffee shop on Suk 13.

Coffeevina inside the Trendy Plaza in Suk 13

Coffeevina inside the Trendy Plaza in Suk 13

The place in Trendy seems to be an importer of all manner of Vietnamese products - the window is full of model sailing ships and such like; coffee seems to be just one facet of their operation.

They sell Trung Nguyen coffee and the traditional filters. Trung is probably the most most widely recognised of VN coffee suppliers. Be aware though, that there are suggestions that Trung coffee contains flavourings and bulking agents.

The rich, chocolately aroma of traditional VN coffee comes from the addition of ghee to the roasting process - this creates a shell on the bean, giving it a bit of protection from the heat, allowing the roaster to take longer than normal in the roasting process. The temperatures used in the roasting oven are usually lower too.

I bought some Vietnamese coffee plus the little dripper thing in HCMC one time but when I flew back to Australia the customs took my coffee away, it was the weasel shit coffee and I hadn't bother to read the label on the packet.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a Vietnamese. In fact, viet coffer taste is stronger than other kinds. I still have a some filters, a little bit ground organic coffee (opened, enough for 4 or 5 time)and viet dried lotus tea. Anybody wanna it could contact me. I am glad to give it for free. I live in Onnut

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Vietnamese coffee has a strong taste with a chocolatey side. Every year I bring some over from London where I buy the stuff ground to level 3 from the Algerian Coffee Stores on Old Compton Street. Its an acquired taste and too strong for some. Actually the local Thai coffee which can be purchased as beans and ground to desired level at Friendship perfectly acceptable. The yellow labelled expresso beans (actually cheaper than the other brand on sale) is recommended.