Agriculture minister worried by reduced Thai buffalo population

webfact

Agriculture minister worried by reduced Thai buffalo population
By Digital Content

14146609001261-640x390x1.jpg

BANGKOK, Oct 31 -- Agriculture and Cooperatives Minister Pitipong Phuengboon Na Ayudhaya told the press today that Thai water buffaloes could become extinct within five years as their population is dwindling.

Considering the issue as his first priority, Mr Pitipong said that the water buffalo population is falling critically by 100,000 annually due to domestic consumption and exports, and stands at 800,000 for the time being.

The annual import of 20,000 water buffaloes from neighboring countries could not solve the crisis because of the small number. If the situation continues, Thai water buffaloes could become extinct with in five years, the minister said.

He ordered the Department of Livestock Development to limit water buffalo exports, ban the export of female buffaloes to keep them for breeding, and to apply breeding technology to increase the Thai water buffalo population to 1.2 million in 10 years to prevent such extinction. He will propose extinction prevention strategies to the cabinet in two weeks.

Mr Pitipong said he was very concerned about the local population of water buffaloes because they were closely related to Thai society and culture in many dimensions.

The population of local beef cattle was also plunging because they were exported to neighboring countries where their prices were higher. There were about 4.3 million beef cattle in Thailand, Mr Pitipong said. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-10-31

The Isaan economy will collapse without sustainable numbers of sick buffaloes

Do you mean that the money I send to rebuild Kubota engines doesn't count? tongue.png

If there is a threat to the water buffalo population, I expect it is more from the mechanical water buffalos used by most farmers than anything else.

As for going extinct, I suspect the minister does not understand the word.

• Like 1

"Agriculture and Cooperatives Minister Pitipong Phuengboon Na Ayudhaya told the press today that Thai water buffaloes could become extinct within five years as their population is dwindling."

With all the money being given to care for "family's sick buffaloes", they should be reproducing faster than minks. Don't tell me that this is a ruse to get a fool and his money parted.

Don't think horny, gullible farangs will shell out much money for wife's "family's sick chicken".cheesy.gif

Edited by jaltsc
  • Like 1

"Agriculture and Cooperatives Minister Pitipong Phuengboon Na Ayudhaya told the press today that Thai water buffaloes could become extinct within five years as their population is dwindling."

With all the money being given to care for "family's sick buffaloes", they should be reproducing faster than minks. Don't tell me that this is a ruse to get a fool and his money parted.

Don't think horny, gullible farangs will shell out much money for wife's "family's sick chicken".cheesy.gif

Some idiot put this together. Anyone else see what's wrong with this photo?

attachicon.gifherdwaterbuffalo.jpg

Are those wild buffalo somewhere other than Thailand? Australia maybe?

Are those wild buffalo somewhere other than Thailand? Australia maybe?

Those are Cape Buffalo found in sub Saharan Africa. Completely different horns and more dangerous than a carabao/Asian water buffalo. W.F.Cody wouldn't recognize them.

Why is he waxing about "Thai" water buffaloes? Does he think that is a separate species? It's not. It is bubalus bubalis, exactly the same species as all over Southeast Asia and the Indian subcontinent. It will not go extinct anytime soon.

What he probably meant to say was that "the water buffalo population in Thailand is diminishing rapidly".

On the other hand, why has it taken the minister so long to recognize that the water buffalo population in Thailand is dwindling? Local bar girls have known for decades that the country's water buffaloes suffer from inherent illnesses and are rather sickly beasts, a fact they rather frequently tell the foreign water buffalo population hanging out in large numbers - thus not in danger of becoming extinct - at Nana Plaza, Soi Cowboy, Patpong, Pattaya, Soi Bangla and other assorted places around the kingdom.

Thais are better, didn't you know? So also their buffaloes are! That simple! wink.png

African buffalo...

• Like 1

Water buffaloes a plenty on Samui, but all males that I can see, and more and more pink ones! Sponsored by Microsoft's new CEO, maybe? Anyway, nothing for a buffalo to be proud of, as long as they cannot procreate to insure the future of the species... Wonder where all the females are, turned into meat maybe (though most Thais don't eat beef, and Pharangs prefer Charolais, Angus or Kobe...), as here it's all about fighting and gambling, and with buffaloes too, that is reserved to the males.

No mention of the few remaining elephants with lights up their arse-holes... just mention 10 times as many buffalo in existence here.

Ever heard of a priority list Menstrual Tension of Agriculture Pity-it-pongs Ayudhya?

Then again, damned, the govnt will have to hand out loans for tractors if the buffalo population diminishes (at huge profits from a supplier located in, where other than, Ayudhya)... what a bummer. coffee1.gif

How is the niece that killed 9 people doing nowadays? Finished her non-existant community service yet?

Edit: Apologies for wasting 15 seconds of people's time - sarcasm hour. sad.png He is only there thru name, anyway... he's as unqualified as heck.

Edited by Commerce
  • Like 1

Reminds me of a story my ex- told me.

The King's people had come around to her's and other villages.

They offered a buffalo for each family to help with their farming.

They all graciously accepted.

Not too much later, they ate them... wai2.gifwai.gif

Not sure I believe this as buffalo were worth much more long term (all round husbandry) then. However. If true, 'King's people' not so much in touch with the 'common herd'. Even then ...

Reminds me of a story my ex- told me.

The King's people had come around to her's and other villages.

They offered a buffalo for each family to help with their farming.

They all graciously accepted.

Not too much later, they ate them... wai2.gifwai.gif

Not sure I believe this as buffalo were worth much more long term (all round husbandry) then. However. If true, 'King's people' not so much in touch with the 'common herd'. Even then ...

"... buffalo were worth much more long term..."

Exactly. wai2.gifwai.gifblink.png

As far as believing me, I really don't care.

I know we have to wade through a lot of it here but, I don't post buffalo s##t.

thumbsup.gif