Pattaya flooding worse than ever, city officials admit

Rimmer

All the time uncontrolled development continues in Pattaya with no or very little thought of how the existing infrastructure will cope, occurrences of floods and the like will increase. The money to be spent on the ill-conceived underpass at the junction of Klang and Sukhumvit would be much better spent on flood prevention including clearing drains and prevention of their misuse. There is a construction site close to where I take my dog for his twice daily walk and almost every day I see drivers washing out their ready-mix concrete drums straight into a convenient drain. Are these people so stupid that they are not aware of the fact that cement whether immersed in water or not will set? Maybe they just do not care; out of site out of mind!

"ill-conceived underpass"?? Surely when it is wet, then the underpass will act as a drainage and storage facility and when it is dry it will be used for its intended purpose? Two functions for the one price! Smart thinking by some one? whistling.gif

When the useless people who are responsible for the failures are allowed to continue in their jobs, be it officials, engineers, maintenance contractors etc, the failures will continue every year.

You have described one of the major flaws of the system here. How many wrongdoers have been transferred to "inactive" posts only to be resuscitated later. I despair for this country because this flaw goes to the highest offices in the land. What meritocracy?

As a foreigner, I just decide if I can live with the failures which are very preventable. And when I can't live with these failures, I shall move on. For now I am just happy to accept these inconveniences from time to time. :)

More building more flooding. Its not rocket science. These so called one off storms are becoming more frequent worldwide. So the cynical people of Thailand /patttaya are going to have a field day and many more. pattaya is low level and will always be at risk of flooding. I cannot believe anyone will pay for giant storage tanks along beach rd which if filled up go to sea with the tanks pumping up to the dark side. It's too much money for what is a short raining season.

FYI, this is my opinion not fact before I get slaughtered by every cynic.

Wow that was a great storm!!!! Lightning and thunder like the end of the world and it was really dark at 2.45pm. The rain was so heavy that I could no longer see nearby buildings. Hope everyone was safe and dry. Seems to have passed now.

Yes. Brilliant to watch and hear. Nature can be wonderful.

I was on my balcony on the 12th floor and I watched the lightning across into the bay. A wonderful sight.

Nothing speaks so poorly of the state of Thai civil engineering than the photo of

the road next to the beach that is flooded. Now if they cannot figure out how to

drain that road, how in the hell can they figure out how

to drain an inland road..... Too funny for words.

Problem for us is that these "fast floods" are not good at filling Pattaya's reservoirs...

Lake Hui Chak Nok today:

156.jpg

compared to 3 weeks ago:

127.jpg

The water level raised about 70 cm smile.png

but still 2 meters below what it should be sad.png

and about 3 meters below the "full" mark.

2015 could have a huge water problem for Pattaya...

• Like 1

The city obviously has no will or intention of really dealing with this problem or they would hire expert(s) drainage engineers.

Yep, another day of heavy rain and the most exciting electrical storm I've seen this year just passed through.

Thats right , Pattaya City obviously needs a competent civil engineer. And that is necessarily a foreign civil engineer.

Edited by morrobay

The city obviously has no will or intention of really dealing with this problem or they would hire expert(s) drainage engineers.

Yep, another day of heavy rain and the most exciting electrical storm I've seen this year just passed through.

Thats right , Pattaya City obviously needs a competent civil engineer. And that is necessarily a foreign civil engineer.

Ain't gonna happen, the expense involved far outweighs a minor inconvenience that happens for a few hours a handful of times a year.

PATTAYA:--Despite years of talk and months of effort, flooding actually is getting worse in Pattaya, with two recent days of heavy rain flooding areas of the city not inundated for 10 years, Deputy Mayor Ronakit Ekasingh said.

Seems he has forgotton the overnight floods in August 2011

post-66911-0-51933600-1414985329_thumb.j

post-66911-0-17537700-1414985356_thumb.j

post-66911-0-29389500-1414985387_thumb.j

Pattaya grows ever larger with no increase in infrastucture.

However the food barrows have increased daily, and they are the problem.

Buy some snack or another, and you have 2 plastic bag wrappers, a piece of paper, possibly 2 bamboo sticks and the sauce bags.

And it all ends up in the drains, along with the waste oil Etc from the stalls.