Medicine Prices

AyG

There are occasional requests here for prices of medicine. I thought it might be helpful to have a list of guide prices for common medicines, so here's a start. Feel free to add your own medicine prices.

Allopurinol 100 mg 10 tablets 8 Baht
Aspirin 81mg 10 tablets 5 Baht
Livalo 2 mg 10 tablets 300 Baht
Loranta 100 mg 30 tablets 210 Baht
Metformin 500 mg 500 tablets 300 Baht
Retin A 0.025% 10 g tube 90 Baht
Trajenta 5 mg 30 tablets 1,580 Baht

The pharmacist told me it is cheaper to buy complete boxes, rather than individual strips. For example, a whole box of 500 Metformin tablets (50 x 10 strips) costs less then the 380 tablets that I had initially asked for.

• Like 1

A good thread which will have many variations in price mostly depending on location.

There will be other price variations due to wholesale prices. There are a number of wholesalers the pharmacists buy their drugs from and these prices vary too.

My experience of wholesalers is there is no wholesale difference in price the pharmacist will pay purchasing strips or the equivalent amount in a box. In fact in many wholesalers, boxes are open and the contents sold in individual strips. Any discount for bulk purchase would be made by the pharmacist.

One exception would be the pharmacist purchasing large bottles containing 500 or 1,000 individual pills. These are cheaper than buying smaller amounts in strips.

The next price factor is the markup the pharmacists adds. This markup can vary widely even in smaller out of the way towns. I've seen markups ranging from 25 - 100% on wholesale prices even in smaller towns.

Products made by the GPO have prices printed on the packaging and this price is set by the govt. It should not cost more then the printed price.

Where do you get them this cheap?

Por Bor Pharmacy on Sukhumwit Soi 71 at the junction Phatthanakan Road, Bangkok.

Is this the place that frequently has a queue going out the door and a "Take a number" system? Their prices are about as low as I have found anywhere in Bangkok but the clerks are brusque so forget about asking questions.

There is a pharmacy on Sukhumvit 71 between soi's 13 & 15 with prices almost as low as Por Bor. The pharmacist speaks excellent English and is very helpful. Closed Sundays.

Is this the place that frequently has a queue going out the door and a "Take a number" system? Their prices are about as low as I have found anywhere in Bangkok but the clerks are brusque so forget about asking questions.

That sounds like the place. However, you can (if you speak Thai) 'phone your order in advance and pick it up with minimal delay.

• 2 months later...

A bit surprised that nobody else had added some prices. However, here are a few more from recent purchases:

Pencor* 2 mg 10 tablets 30 Baht
Clarityn 10 mg 10 tablets 130 Baht

Tylenol 100 tablets 95 Baht

Benzac 2.5% 60g tube 245 Baht

*a brand of doxazosin, Cardura perhaps being the best known brand thereof.

Where do you get them this cheap?

Por Bor Pharmacy on Sukhumwit Soi 71 at the junction Phatthanakan Road, Bangkok.

There is a pharmacy on Sukhumvit 71 between soi's 13 & 15 with prices almost as low as Por Bor. The pharmacist speaks excellent English and is very helpful. Closed Sundays.

So far I never got an useful answer for a specific question in a pharmacy in Thailand