RE: Bringing my Thai family back to the US, steps and requirements?

There is some great information on the above thread, very helpful, but as with all threads it has taken its natural course and died down.

I also am working on getting my "soon to be" Thai Wife, and her 7 year old daughter, relocated to the states. Little background info is that we have been married "Thia Style, by a Monk with Ceremony" three years ago. I know, this does not mean squat. Does though show the history of the relationship. Along with about 4,000 pictures going back over the past three years. I also look at her daughter as my own, and am the only father she has ever had. I have been living with them both for three solid years with 95% of my time being spent here in Thailand. (as reflected by my passport)

While I love living in Thailand, I see it as my responsibility to our daughter to get her the best education that I can and I am just not finding what I need here. We plan on making a go of it in San Diego, where I own several properties, and spending the next 10 or so years there to get the daughter to entering college age. For the record, I am retired, and 55 years old with a good solid pension. What the heck is my take on it. If it works out great, if the wife or daughter combined decided they want to move back, well, we move back but I think it would be great for all involved to try and make the move and to make it work, for all the right reasons.

My first question that I cannot find an answer to is just what do guys from the US do for tax reporting on their tax return. Our plan is to get married in the next few weeks. Have pre nup, wills, all translated paperwork from Ministry of Foreign Affairs all ready to go. Including an Attorney to take this paperwork and us to the Ampur to make sure it is all filed correctly at the Ampur. In the following weeks we then are going to head to the US Embassy of Consular affairs to file the paperwork for visa based on marriage.

OK, enough background and back to the question. Just what the heck do I do for tax reporting. What have others done. At this time, my wife of course does not have a SS number, or the Taxpayer Identification Number for me to put on a tax return.

I am guessing that just filing the paperwork at the Ampur raises no flags with the US IRS, but once we then file the marriage at the US Embassy of Counselor Affairs I gotta assume that they then pass this on to the IRS. Having said that, even if they do not. I need to stay within the intent of the law in filing my return.

So, again, and in trying to make a long story short. Just what the heck do we do. Can I file single, up until the marriage is filed at the US Consular Services with the US Government?. Can I file "Married" but file a separate return (Married filing Separatly), and just leave her off the paperwork? The good news is that she does not have any Thailand based income, my accountant asked this and then he stated "Good" as then you would need an "International Accountant". For the record, she did own a clothing store but sold it shortly after we got together at my request.

I do have the "Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number form", all ten pages of it. But it looks to me that you need to be married to be able to fill it out. It asks if you are the spouse of a US Citizen and must list it as the reason you are applying for the darn thing.

Kind of the chicken before the egg thing. Just how the hell does this work is the bottom line?. We want to get married asap, we want to then proceed with the marriage visa, but I am just not sure how to handle my tax returns at at the end of this year is the long story short on this one.

My only other immediate question is this. Since I have lived here for the past year, (living here meaning I have copies of rental contracts, and passport supports documentation of living here) do we then qualify for the DCF (direct Consular Filing) that I have read others have used to immigrate or is there more to it than that.

God Bless and Thanks in advance for all and any help.

Most Sincerely

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it would be a good idea if you looked at Visa Journey a website with loads of info from others who have done the visa trip and all the paper filing that you will have to do.

Don't worry about the Tax reporting, you just give copies of your tax filing.

You don't file any tax info with the Ampur only USA cares about your tax info.

You file single because you are single until legally married.

Quit worrying about your taxes and filing questions.

You are going to have to do so much paperwork for her Visa you will be shocked. Attaching your previous returns to these papers just proves you can support her.

Again scour the internet for info on how to do your paperwork. Tons of sites out there.

No DCF for you read more on the net also.

Good luck

Doc

• Like 1

Why aren't you just going for a fiance visa? It's my understanding this is an easier visa to get (though it still takes time and effort) and your tax filing question will be moot until you are married in the US and then your question will have a simple answer. This is what I will be doing in a month or so. Her having a child should just mean more paperwork on the visa.

• Like 2

Why not DCF, if he's been living here with the soon-to-be wife, sure looks to me like he's eligible for DCF filing.

Note, at the USCIS office, NOT the U.S. Embassy's Consulate:

http://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/international-offices/thailand-bangkok-field-office

Agree on the IRS & TIN stuff, wait until you're married then file for her TIN.

Mac

• Like 1

Why aren't you just going for a fiance visa? It's my understanding this is an easier visa to get (though it still takes time and effort) and your tax filing question will be moot until you are married in the US and then your question will have a simple answer. This is what I will be doing in a month or so. Her having a child should just mean more paperwork on the visa.

He's right Fiancé Visa is the way to go, you have 90 days I believe to get married, I would not mention Buddha wedding, I hope she doesn't become Materialistic , as I've heard the stories, keep her away from other Thai People, they will tell her how to work you... I know she would never do that, 555555

• Like 1

Why aren't you just going for a fiance visa? It's my understanding this is an easier visa to get (though it still takes time and effort) and your tax filing question will be moot until you are married in the US and then your question will have a simple answer. This is what I will be doing in a month or so. Her having a child should just mean more paperwork on

Someone told us it will take 3 filings before they let u go, but maybe someone has more feedback

Edited by Dannyboy666

Why not DCF, if he's been living here with the soon-to-be wife, sure looks to me like he's eligible for DCF filing.

What does DCF stand for? I am in a similar situation as original poster and would like to know the meaning. Thanks

DCF = Direct Consular Filing

Which means that if you qualify, through living here for a minimum of the six months preceding your application for immigration, you might be eligible to do it at the local USCIS office. Otherwise, the I-130 and associated paperwork would have to be filed in the U.S. which takes a considerably longer time.

The www.visajourney.com site has a lot of info on it, do a search for: direct consular filing

Here's just one hit: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/82-direct-consular-filing-dcf-general-discussion/

More on the immigrant visa route here: http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/immigrant_visas.html

Mac

Mac

• Like 1

What does DCF stand for? I am in a similar situation as original poster and would like to know the meaning. Thanks

What is DCF? It’s an unofficial term for Direct Consular Filing, which is when a US citizen files an I-130 Petition for Alien Relative (in our case, my spouse), at a Consulate or USCIS Field Office overseas, rather than at a US Service Center.

There are two types of visas a US citizen and his/her spouse can apply for: a CR-1 visa or anIR-1 visa. The difference is, you can only apply for an IR-1 visa if you’ve been married more than two years, and through this process, the immigrant spouse receives a 10-year Permanent Resident Card (also known as the Green Card). CR-1 visas are for couples married less than 2 years, and the immigrant spouse gets a 2-year conditional Permanent Resident Card. Before the 2 years are up, you have to apply to get the conditional part removed.

Good luck, you will need it.

You know that living in the US changes some of these Thai girls........................

Yea.. A good friend and his Thai wife of 41 years and a US Citizen of 37 years have now retired in Thailand. Close your eyes when talking to her and you would swear she is from the Bronx. Thats the good part. The bad part she is a card caring Reagan Republican Tea Party backer..whistling.gif Yes the do change...w00t.gif

Edited by khwaibah

Based on what you posted I say first get rid of the Thai lawyer you are using because it does not required one to hired one to get married and have it register. The information provided it seems you are going backwards and it seems that the Attorney is learning while he goes? I've had this happen to me many times until I finally learn first hand.

As for Immigration issue which you have many and I say again just because he or she is a Attorney does not mean they understand the process. Here is who I used a few years ago to take care of everything. This women and her brother both Thai were raised in Las Vegas and educated in San Francisco and when you speak to her perfect English and she knows the process! All I did was sit back and show up whenever I was needed and everything was translated to her in Thai...

TSL & Associate (Thailand) C. LTD.. Virgina LY Email [email protected] Mobile 080 2324111

130-12 Sindhorn Building 2nd Floor Tower 1 across the street from US Embassy red brick building

Wireless Road, Lumpini, Patumwan, Bangkok 10230

Tel 02-251 8130 or 8131 Website www.tslthailand.com

When it was time to take my family to US. had all the documents including when I would get the S.S. number for them...

THE LAST THING YOU NEED TO WORRY ABOUT IS YOUR TAX RETURN UNLESS CLAIMING THEM IS GOING TO GET YOU A HUGE REFUND! YOUR PROBLEM IS IN IMMIGRATION!

good luck!

first step would be to register your marriage at u.s. embassy married abroad get that do. do you file taxes yes start to file married joint returns get your wife a TIN number and file. go back and redo your 3 three years from when you were married you get some cash back. you have to get her a green card only way drop your thailand lawyer you dont need him. get a great immigration lawyer in Cali takes about 1 year to 18 months. cost about 5000 plus lawyer fees only way even if she has no intention of working- americans think everyone comes to work in american.

or just set up in a nice part of thailand not anywhere in the south , with great international schools raise and live with your family there wife is close to family daughter learns english

1Ping1,

Unless the process has changed you are making everything overly complicated.

You marry for example at an office in Bangrak if you are in Bangkok.

All you need is ID and a few documents maybe 500 baht (don't remember exactly) and around 15 minutes.

Done you are married.

Filling out the forms for your wife to have a marriage visa is simple and automatically allows her to work the first day she arrives in the US.

Sometimes all you need to do is file some forms with copies of your tax returns and a medical report for your wife. Not often but sometimes you need an interview with your wife

The whole process is less than 6 months and less than $600.

I can't imagine why you would need a lawyer.

The above information is about 15 years old perhaps some of it has changed.

Good luck - go for it.

You can get some Great information here at Thai Visa. I think it would be best to go to the U S Embassy They will get you on the right path so you can take your family back to the U S Best of luck. I know from experience it will be a real shock to your family and will take adjustment to the American way of life. With a lot of work on your part helping them. Culture shock will be something to overcome. It will just take time.

I haven't read all the replies, sorry if I repeat some information. I did the same thing about 8 years ago. Buddhist wedding in Thailand, brought Mother and Step-daughter to the US. Visajourney is an excellent resource. I never used an attorney and did all the paperwork myself with help from the VJ forum.

You may want to consider the K1, or Fiancee Visa. It takes less time to process than the Marriage Visa, at least it did 8 years ago. It took 6 months from application date to my fiancee's arrival in the US, and Marriage Visas were taking up to a year, and sometimes more. If you go that route, do not mention on any Visa application that you've done the Buddhist wedding already. Once you declare that you've been married already, even if it's not registered at the Amphur, you won't have a choice which Visa route you choose, only Marriage Visa. VIsajourney has a neat tool where you can see the current processing times for different Visas. With a K1 you can still bring daughter over, but I believe the daughter is on a K2 Visa. With the K1 Visa, your 'fiancee' has 90 days to marry you in the US, and then you can apply for the green card, but I believe she can work upon marriage to you. We got married at the county courthouse a week after my fiancee arrived.

Good Luck!

After 8 years, we've moved back to Thailand, but that's another story!

Edited by DoDoey
  • Like 1

You can get some Great information here at Thai Visa. I think it would be best to go to the U S Embassy They will get you on the right path so you can take your family back to the U S Best of luck. I know from experience it will be a real shock to your family and will take adjustment to the American way of life. With a lot of work on your part helping them. Culture shock will be something to overcome. It will just take time.

Great point about the culture shock. Consider where the local Thai Temple is when you're looking for a place to live. You'll be surprised, there's one in almost every major city. I was surprised when we went for the first time that there were two Thai monks. Although we lived in a state capital, it was pretty small as cities go, yet there was a place we could go and feel like we were back in Thailand for a few hours.

Consider the locale of Asian, or even Thai, grocery stores. Try to find a home central to all. In San Diego, I'm sure there'll be a Thai Temple and plenty of Thai markets (grocery stores), so no worries there, but be conscious of it.

Don't know how much TV your wife watches, but there's a website with all Thai programming on demand, and it's very cheap. This could be a double edged sword, my wife ended up watching all Thai TV online, and very little American (English) programming, and I think that hindered her adjustment some, in hindsight.

The major difference for my wife was the social interaction we Westerners have. In Thailand you can simply go downstairs and buy dinner on the street for 50 baht, and chat it up with your friends for a while. Thais will leave the front door open and socialize with people as they walk by, granted most doors have the iron bars and lock. This is completely different is the states. People come home, they go inside their homes, and they lock the door. You'll be lucky to get people to say hello, let alone get to know you. For a Thai, the silence of being home alone can be deafening, hence the Thai TV online. Good luck and PM me in you have any questions.

Edited by DoDoey

first step would be to register your marriage at u.s. embassy married abroad get that do. do you file taxes yes start to file married joint returns get your wife a TIN number and file. go back and redo your 3 three years from when you were married you get some cash back. you have to get her a green card only way drop your thailand lawyer you dont need him. get a great immigration lawyer in Cali takes about 1 year to 18 months. cost about 5000 plus lawyer fees only way even if she has no intention of working- americans think everyone comes to work in american.

or just set up in a nice part of thailand not anywhere in the south , with great international schools raise and live with your family there wife is close to family daughter learns english

You can totally do this yourself, no lawyer. But, you seem to be a man of means, so it might be better to go that route. It all depends on your personal situation. If 5 or 10 thousand doesn't make you shy, then go with the lawyer. Personally, I found the experience rewarding to do it myself, and never had any issues. No documents returned, no requests for more proof, etc. But be aware, if you're not detail oriented, it would be a confusing endeavor. There are lots and lots of USCIS horror stories out there. But, like I said, it can be easy too.

I haven't read all the replies, sorry if I repeat some information. I did the same thing about 8 years ago. Buddhist wedding in Thailand, brought Mother and Step-daughter to the US. Visajourney is an excellent resource. I never used an attorney and did all the paperwork myself with help from the VJ forum.

You may want to consider the K1, or Fiancee Visa. It takes less time to process than the Marriage Visa, at least it did 8 years ago. It took 6 months from application date to my fiancee's arrival in the US, and Marriage Visas were taking up to a year, and sometimes more. If you go that route, do not mention on any Visa application that you've done the Buddhist wedding already. Once you declare that you've been married already, even if it's not registered at the Amphur, you won't have a choice which Visa route you choose, only Marriage Visa. VIsajourney has a neat tool where you can see the current processing times for different Visas. With a K1 you can still bring daughter over, but I believe the daughter is on a K2 Visa. With the K1 Visa, your 'fiancee' has 90 days to marry you in the US, and then you can apply for the green card, but I believe she can work upon marriage to you. We got married at the county courthouse a week after my fiancee arrived.

Good Luck!

After 8 years, we've moved back to Thailand, but that's another story!

My situation was that I was in the US, and was bringing by fiancee over. It will be different if you're living in Thailand and filing from here...

@OP,

Couple of comments.

The US does not honor your Thai marriage. So you coming over with her and being married in Thailand means very little. You need to complete the process in the US. It makes EVERYTHING way easier.

TravelerEastWest stated she can immediately come and work in the US. That is not true. She cannot. She does not have a SSN and greencard in hand and both are absolutely required to work legally(I used the term "legally")

As for tax purposes. You cannot claim your wife or child until they have a SSN. You need to apply for all of that once you have immigrated here. That is part of the naturalization process. While the US is noted for just giving out money, they are not going to blatantly just allow people to claim dependents on your tax return with out some sort of number. If they did expats would claim they have a family of 20. This is why my wife and I married here in the states and did not in Thailand. It had no benefits whatsoever to get married in Thailand. Eventually when we move back we will do a Thai wedding to appease the Thai family side.

Best is to apply for a Fiance Visa and start the process. No lawyer needed. Just us the US Gov process.

Best of Luck

OP. Please don't confuse the statements about immigration forms with your questions about tax filing. I-120 and Direct Consulate are about immigration.

You are the only US citizen or resident who has to worry about a tax return. I was in Thailand during tax season one year and I bought Turbo Tax, followed the prompts, filled it out. It did the math, and I filed it electronically when finished. Then I printed copies for myself and saved the computer file on my HDD so it would be easy to pick up and continue the next year. Surely you can get Turbo Tax sent to you in Thailand by someone.

@OP,

Couple of comments.

The US does not honor your Thai marriage. So you coming over with her and being married in Thailand means very little. You need to complete the process in the US. It makes EVERYTHING way easier.

TravelerEastWest stated she can immediately come and work in the US. That is not true. She cannot. She does not have a SSN and greencard in hand and both are absolutely required to work legally(I used the term "legally")

As for tax purposes. You cannot claim your wife or child until they have a SSN. You need to apply for all of that once you have immigrated here. That is part of the naturalization process. While the US is noted for just giving out money, they are not going to blatantly just allow people to claim dependents on your tax return with out some sort of number. If they did expats would claim they have a family of 20. This is why my wife and I married here in the states and did not in Thailand. It had no benefits whatsoever to get married in Thailand. Eventually when we move back we will do a Thai wedding to appease the Thai family side.

Best is to apply for a Fiance Visa and start the process. No lawyer needed. Just us the US Gov process.

Best of Luck

I went through the fiancee process too, and if he says they were married in Thailand, and backs it up with photos as the OP is planning on doing, he will not qualify for the K1 Fiancee Visa. Regardless of whether it's registered or not.

I think it would be a good idea if you looked at Visa Journey a website with loads of info from others who have done the visa trip and all the paper filing that you will have to do.

Don't worry about the Tax reporting, you just give copies of your tax filing.

You don't file any tax info with the Ampur only USA cares about your tax info.

You file single because you are single until legally married.

Quit worrying about your taxes and filing questions.

You are going to have to do so much paperwork for her Visa you will be shocked. Attaching your previous returns to these papers just proves you can support her.

Again scour the internet for info on how to do your paperwork. Tons of sites out there.

No DCF for you read more on the net also.

Good luck

Doc

I have filed taxes in both countries Canada and the U.S. and have pensions from each as well. I like you married in Thailand but within 5 days registered the Buddhist Ceremony at the Amphur. I received a formal official marriage certificate which I read is also your plan. Upon returning to Canada I immediately began permanent resident docs as Canada recognizes host countries marriages certs. Soon as I received the application file # I used it in an invitation letter for a tourist visa. received in 3 days for a 6 month visa. I was advised also to save all receipts pertaining to money sent & spent. After my wife had 6 months of seeing how Canada felt for her she returned to Thailand awaiting her PR. 3 Months later she was advised it was ready and she must land in Canada prior to her Medical exam expiry of one year. For the year we were married I claimed her as a dependent with out income and received the full deduction of a spouse. The receipts for money spent or sent will be used by your immigration to show validity of the marriage.

The best thing to do for your step daughter is to put her in a international school, they are not to expensive, around 60,000 baht per year, if she already speaks English then she will excel, they will also teach her a 3rd language, my daughter is 1/2 Thai 1/2 American and I debated about the school system here until a few months after she started and I was very impressed, she is 6 years old and speaks, reads and writes 3 different languages, I traveled back home to Oregon to see my family and was appalled at how dumb our the children are these days and obese as well, they can only speak English, maybe a little Spanish if they finish highschool, I wish I would have gone to school in Thailand to learn all of the languages my daughter has studied, and she is only in K1 ( first grade), I plan on letting her have a choice of universities when she gets older, she has decided she wants to be a brain surgeon when she grows up, I know, what 6 year old kid wants to be a brain surgeon? But I have had allot of surgeries from broken bones due to motocross racing and she always stays the night when I am in the hospital and she is always asking the doctors millions of questions,

Sorry for babbling on, but my opinion would be keep her here in a international school until she is ready for college, but do take her to the US and let her have a feel for the US way of life, it will be a big shock to her if you just drop her in a school, you need to warm her up to the US.

Good luck broths..

• Like 1

Sir If I may It might be easier to you to fly to US and from there Request fiance Visa from US it may be quicker that way then she gets Visa from Embassy herself and daughter after six months in states she gets work permit her daughter after you two do marriage in US daughter gets automatic US citizenship wife would have to apply for it. Of course she would have to do interview at US embassy in Bangkok the usual questions and answers Since you have tons of pictures should be an issue. you in the mean time could turn here during waiting period and fly to States with them. But since you have property and home for them there It should go smoothly for you. I believe this might be the best route for you other way takes a year or two. You three could be in California by end of school year there in states plenty of time for daughter to adjust to the change make friends and get ready for New school. But keep in mind this change will be huge for daughter culture shock, language difference, customs you will have some changes to ease her into.

I guess I am bit confused what the OP is asking....

Off on a tangent a bit, If the only reason the OP is moving back is so the step daughter can go to school seems odd. The secondary and tertiary costs to stay here in the US will greatly out weigh what it would cost to send her to a top school in Thailand. HOWEVER, If her goal is to seek employment and live here than I completely understand. Even a degree from a top university in Thailand carries little clout when trying to employ at a US company.

Good Luck whichever way you go.

Why aren't you just going for a fiance visa? It's my understanding this is an easier visa to get (though it still takes time and effort) and your tax filing question will be moot until you are married in the US and then your question will have a simple answer. This is what I will be doing in a month or so. Her having a child should just mean more paperwork on

Someone told us it will take 3 filings before they let u go, but maybe someone has more feedback

You would THINK that being married first would be the simpler way to go, but I have always heard and read that the Fiance Visa is the easier way to go and though it is a long process I have also heard it is a shorter process than the already Married Visa.

Sorry about not getting back to reply to all the great responses above. My internet has been knocked out by a storm for most of the last day.

Great info again. I appreciate it all. First, and those that mentioned it are correct, I have mixed up two separate issues. Tax Filing status, and then visa based on marriage with possibility of going DCF route. I will try and separate them better below. The first in fact has been resolved.

Here is what I have learned via my US accountant. He is solid as a rock, I have used him for 28 years, and due to complexity of my annual returns, going turbo tax while I appreciate the suggestion, is just not an option. Anyway, this issue is resolved. For the record, the form is IRS form W-7, it is the "Taxpayer Identification Number Form" that some have refereed to. It is used when someone does not, or cannot get a SS number due to a variety of reasons. Typical IRS style, a one page form, with nine pages of instructions.

Anyway, what you do is (beat your head against the wall for half an hour, read it, beat your head against the wall again, read it again, keep repeating until it gets sunk into my head that Hell yeah, I can do this. :) fill it out, attach certified copy of passports or other positive ID, attach it to your upcoming return, based on the tax year you were married in, and then I send it to my Accountant. Per the instructions with the form, the IRS then assigns both the spouse and daughter a TIN before then going ahead and processing the tax return. Based on this, no problem to get married now, and I can then simply attach this completed form, with the required documentation to it next spring when my accountant files my taxes. For the record for those that suggested turbo tax, my tax prep form I get from my account is on the best of years is 28 fricken pages long. Another few pages is not going to weigh it down to much. Does not mean I have a ton of assets, just means that it is not something I like to tackle myself and have not for 28 years. (owning rental properties can and is more work than its worth)

As for Attorney involvement. I could not agree more that some can do you more harm than good. I am using one for the filing of the marriage though for the peace of mind I feel I am going to get having both an English, and Thai attorney on site at the Ampur to ensure that all documents are filed properly. Including the pre nup, and the wills, all certified and translated in both Thai and English. Hell, I sure as heck do not read Thai. I hate getting documents that I cannot read........ But, for better or for worse, as we say in the states. This is the path I am taking.

OK, now that I have separated the two issues. The second part. Getting a visa based on marriage. Once again, I appreciate all the great advice and I can sure use some more as it is confusing as hell but please respect the fact that again, this is the path we are taking. . Without going into details, please remember, all our situations are different. Most likely why there are so many different ways to go about doing things. For the record, our daughter is in a great international school, she is sharp as a whip. My goal though is to get her prepped for college in the states. Please notes there are other reasons we are going to go the marriage visa route and make a go of relocating to the states but please respect the fact that I would rather not go into the details.

I do greatly appreciate all the great advice and concerns with taking this route and relocating to the states. Along with all the pro's and con's. God knows most anything can happen. But then again, without going, and then knowing, well, its a risk I am willing to take. Statistically it does not reflect well as from what I have read, over 70% of those that attempt this for whatever reason, it fails. Divorce and or Thai wife bailing and returning to Thailand, or just bailing in the states. It happens far more often than not. Another old saying though, "nothing ventured, nothing gained" Or, No risk, No reward". Hell, I guess I am just a speculator at best. But again, I have my reasons for trying to see this through. Including the fact that my wife really wants to spend some time in the states. If we make it great. If we end up back in Thailand, well I love Thailand. If she bails, well................. Not My First Rodeo. But I must state the last three years with my wife have been the best years in quite some time. She is a gem. Solid as a rock. And, by far my better half for what its worth. I see myself as lucky to have her, not her lucky to have me............ Hell, she owned her own business when we met, making money, gave it up to be with me at my request. Does not drink, smoke, hates bars........ Yeah, I know, pretty boring but again, great wife, and great mom.......................

Now that I have separated the two issues, the bottom line on the second issue is the DCF and getting a visa based on marriage. We are planning on doing this ourselves. At least until we hit some roadblock or the frustration level takes us to seeking out legal help. My question again though, and I have heard differing views, is do we qualify for direct counselor filing. We have been married by a Monk for three years, but will only have been legally married, at the Ampur for roughly a month. We are going to get our marriage registered at the ampur in the next few weeks. The first thing I am going to do is then register our marriage at the Counselor Services Division of the US Embassy.

So the question again is there those out there that have done DCF. And if so, how did it work out for you......... We will be married, we are and have been living in Thailand for the past three years. Are those not the conditions that they required?. That you are married and have lived in Thailand for a minimum of the past six months?. I have rental contracts going back for the past three years to show that I live here.

The other question is just how do I go about making an appointment to discuss this with someone at the Counselor Services Division at the Embassy. I have gone there three times for my annual proof of income for my retirement visa in the past three years but cannot figure out how to get to a human to talk to about the possibility of going the DCF route, nor is there a box to check to make the appointment online that I can find?................

Thanks Again for all input, it truly is greatly appreciated.

As Always

Most Sincerely

Good, for the most part.

"The first thing I am going to do is then register our marriage at the Counselor Services Division of the US Embassy."

FYI, you do not register a Thai marriage at the U.S. Embassy, a Thai marriage at the amphur is quite legal as it stands, that's it.

Your first stop in Bangkok should be a the USCIS office, not the Embassy. It's at the USCIS where you'll enter the DCF process.

My understanding is that it's not so much related to how long you've been legally married, at the amphur, as it is how long you've lived here in Thailand prior to filing for the DCF. Send them an email if you have a question of eligibility:

http://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/international-offices/thailand-bangkok-field-office

Phone, Fax Numbers & E-mail
Phone :02-205-5352 or 02-205-5382 (within Thailand)
Mac