RE: Bringing my Thai family back to the US, steps and requirements?

Travel East and West,

Firstly I absolutely refute America is a relaxed country. It simply is not anymore. With that said I will say that the process is easy to navigate and acquire all the required documents to bring your spouse. The US Gov Immigration site is easy to use it just takes time and money. Now the spouse cannot just land here and go to work as you are leading people to believe. I have done this process for my wife and have met many others that have. She can enter the country as your wife but until she has all the proper information in the system and in hand she cannot work(legally). Along with bringing my wife here to the states I have brought many Thai nationals over to the US to train on manufacturing processes and know the H1/2 Visa process well.

Now I absolutely agree with you, you do not need an attorney to do this its a waste of money. I also agree you can start much of the process in Thailand. But a VISA stamp in a passport is nothing more than a VISA stamp to be here(unless she has an H1/2). She has quite a few things to complete here prior to launching off into the wild west.

JAFO,

I repeat:

3) Immigration stamped my wife's passport as eligible to work the moment she received her immigration entry stamp.

Please read carefully I did not say that the VIsa was what made working allowed I said the immigration stamp (at the airport)

4) SS cards are easy to get at the same time as your visa - so your comments about needing a SS card are a non issue. Even if you forget to apply for a SS card before going to the US it only takes a few minutes to apply. Having a SS number or TIN for noncitizens does not allow you to work - it is your legal immigration status.

Again a SS card is a non issue - why wouldn't you get it at the same time as the marriage visa? So your visa and SS number are in the system before you arrive in America. Immigration reviews at the airport upon arrival and stamps your passport as eligible to work.

As for America being a relaxed country you are entitled to your personal opinion which I respect - for me tax returns visas etc are simple as they are in English and that is all I need. For a complex tax return you have a CPA prepare the return.

In summary I am 100% certain that what I described is what my wife experienced - end of story - has the rules changed maybe I don't know...

A "green card" visa was simple a few forms, medical test and a fee - done - citizenship as soon as 2 years later contrast that with Thailand and other countries... it is like night and day - America is very relaxed about this subject. How much easier can it get?

Most likely her passport got a I-551 stamp, which is a temporary stamp. It is a 1 year stamp in the passport proving that the passport holder is a permanent resident while they await their permanent resident card. It is considered valid from List A of the I9 form for both proving identity and work authorization. I see them from time to time when verifying employment for kitchen workers, and can't recall if it says valid for work on the stamp.

I am not sure if they stamp all spousal visa's with them or not as my wife entered on a fiancee visa, since we were not married at the time. It would make sense they stamp the passport since they mail the GC to you after you arrive, and that can take some time to get.

As for citizenship it is 3 years from the date of the PR card not 2. You can file at 2 years 9 months, but cannot take the oath until you pass the 3 year mark.

@ Travel East and West

I guess the reason why I push back on your posts is because they tend to leave out some important pertinent information. I attempt to post factually to assist others. I am not saying I am always right but I do try to post with specific references.

I also respect your opinion. I just know it is not lax here to just walk on in. Its an arduous process. Lots of paperwork, verification, appointments, fees and final visits.

@ AaronLV

Yes I concur, she must have got the stamp you referenced. I was trying to dig it up. Thanks for the point on the 3 year comment posted by Traveling East and West stated, you can apply at the 2 year 9 month mark if you want to become a citizen. The green card conditions are similar with the caveat best not let it go past the 2 year mark or risk her card being pulled and void. Its best to apply right at the 1 year 9 month mark with the fees. If your "Appeal for conditions to be released" and info you sent along with it is accepted you will receive a 1 year extension until the appointment for biometrics is done and the interview is complete.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Travel East and West,

Firstly I absolutely refute America is a relaxed country. It simply is not anymore. With that said I will say that the process is easy to navigate and acquire all the required documents to bring your spouse. The US Gov Immigration site is easy to use it just takes time and money. Now the spouse cannot just land here and go to work as you are leading people to believe. I have done this process for my wife and have met many others that have. She can enter the country as your wife but until she has all the proper information in the system and in hand she cannot work(legally). Along with bringing my wife here to the states I have brought many Thai nationals over to the US to train on manufacturing processes and know the H1/2 Visa process well.

Now I absolutely agree with you, you do not need an attorney to do this its a waste of money. I also agree you can start much of the process in Thailand. But a VISA stamp in a passport is nothing more than a VISA stamp to be here(unless she has an H1/2). She has quite a few things to complete here prior to launching off into the wild west.

JAFO,

I repeat:

3) Immigration stamped my wife's passport as eligible to work the moment she received her immigration entry stamp.

Please read carefully I did not say that the VIsa was what made working allowed I said the immigration stamp (at the airport)

4) SS cards are easy to get at the same time as your visa - so your comments about needing a SS card are a non issue. Even if you forget to apply for a SS card before going to the US it only takes a few minutes to apply. Having a SS number or TIN for noncitizens does not allow you to work - it is your legal immigration status.

Again a SS card is a non issue - why wouldn't you get it at the same time as the marriage visa? So your visa and SS number are in the system before you arrive in America. Immigration reviews at the airport upon arrival and stamps your passport as eligible to work.

As for America being a relaxed country you are entitled to your personal opinion which I respect - for me tax returns visas etc are simple as they are in English and that is all I need. For a complex tax return you have a CPA prepare the return.

In summary I am 100% certain that what I described is what my wife experienced - end of story - has the rules changed maybe I don't know...

A "green card" visa was simple a few forms, medical test and a fee - done - citizenship as soon as 2 years later contrast that with Thailand and other countries... it is like night and day - America is very relaxed about this subject. How much easier can it get?

Most likely her passport got a I-551 stamp, which is a temporary stamp. It is a 1 year stamp in the passport proving that the passport holder is a permanent resident while they await their permanent resident card. It is considered valid from List A of the I9 form for both proving identity and work authorization. I see them from time to time when verifying employment for kitchen workers, and can't recall if it says valid for work on the stamp.

I am not sure if they stamp all spousal visa's with them or not as my wife entered on a fiancee visa, since we were not married at the time. It would make sense they stamp the passport since they mail the GC to you after you arrive, and that can take some time to get.

As for citizenship it is 3 years from the date of the PR card not 2. You can file at 2 years 9 months, but cannot take the oath until you pass the 3 year mark.

@ Travel East and West

I guess the reason why I push back on your posts is because they tend to leave out some important pertinent information. I attempt to post factually to assist others. I am not saying I am always right but I do try to post with specific references.

I also respect your opinion. I just know it is not lax here to just walk on in. Its an arduous process. Lots of paperwork, verification, appointments, fees and final visits.

@ AaronLV

Yes I concur, she must have got the stamp you referenced. I was trying to dig it up. Thanks for the point on the 3 year comment posted by Traveling East and West stated, you can apply at the 2 year 9 month mark if you want to become a citizen. The green card conditions are similar with the caveat best not let it go past the 2 year mark or risk her card being pulled and void. Its best to apply right at the 1 year 9 month mark with the fees. If your "Appeal for conditions to be released" and info you sent along with it is accepted you will receive a 1 year extension until the appointment for biometrics is done and the interview is complete.

JAFO,

It was a long time ago and the details about green cards and citizenship may have changed for example if you are in the military the requirements are easier I believe even now.

But as for being easy to get a "wife" visa that allows working on day one of entry to the USA it was easy and I don't think I left out much as there was not much to it. a few forms, fees a medical test and that's about it. Often no interview is needed.

I believe you that the experience was more difficult for you and your wife but not for my wife and myself and everyone else who has spoken to me about the experience. So with all do respect please keep your comments to your own experience and not about others.

I don't remember the cost or timing of citizenship but I do remember it was very easy - show you can speak English and have a basic understanding of US history. actually like the timing of citizenship there are a number of variables and as I recall in certain situations such as the elderly they will waive the language requirement- not sure about the history requirement.

Immigration is so easygoing that while they will ask you to attend a group citizenship ceremony at a later date if you need to leave the US early they will give you a citizen ceremony right away by yourself.

Compare and contrast to the requirements of an American to get Thai citizenship - case closed.

There certainly may be countries that are easier to navigate paperwork in but I don't know of any.