What "born again" Avenue shopping complex needs

toenail

I have no idea which Bangkok corporation owns the Avenue Shopping Complex, but they do need to be complimented on trying to revive the shopping area which really isn't that old. One can blame its failure from the beginning due to the various shopping pods being separate so one has to go in and out of the heat; next, there was never a "drawing card" such as a major department store to attract customers (Robinsons would have been nice...) ; and about 1 year after it was built, Central Festival Department store on Beach Rd opened up. But with all of these factors that contributed to the lack of customers, the main obstacle (and still is) is the traffic "wall or moat", 2nd Road, which blocks the entrance. It is in the worse area to cross a major city street in Pattaya...Three lanes of rushing traffic to discourage the walking tourist or locals (expats and Thai) to deal with it. True, if you try to cross before 1pm, one may have a chance but the traffic increases as the day turns into evening.

I was shocked to see a nice Factory Outlet move in...with a variety of brand name shops -- quite an investment and wishful thinking but I predict it will also be shutting down like everything else there unless the "powers at be" (or the ones that have money and can pull a few strings) hire a pedestrian walk-man/ walk-woman who can bravely march out in the middle of 2nd road (with a loud whistle of course to give the pedestrian police status) and stop traffic every 5 minutes so locals and tourist can safely cross 2nd road instead of running a zig-zag obstacle course around and between racing traffic that has no education about slowing down for pedestrians. Or the BKK company builds with their own money a pedestrian bridge over 2nd Road but I imagine by the time they do all the pay offs, it would cost 3 times than the baht spent on labor and materials. I wish the place success.

(For the smart <deleted>: Yes, I have a car, but I chose not to drive it in Pattaya, I drive it to my work outside of Pattaya.)

The design is probably akin to suburban shopping centres back home, so I do relate to it, and quite like it. There is rear access, so no need to go onto 2nd road for those with vehicles. Don't think it appeals that much to tourists considering Central Fest nearby, but I would go there more often if there was a wider choice of specialty shops, particularly foods. But Villa still remains a big drawcard for me.

If you haven't been to Villa lately, the renovations are complete and it is a pleasant shopping environment. I shop there exclusively for specialty items. I drive and use their dedicated parking area (get free stamp).

You can use any of the parking areas there, to including the multi storey parking structure, just have the ticket you were given when you entered validated (stamped) by the cashier at Villa during checkout

If you haven't been to Villa lately, the renovations are complete and it is a pleasant shopping environment. I shop there exclusively for specialty items. I drive and use their dedicated parking area (get free stamp).

You can use any of the parking areas there, to including the multi storey parking structure, just have the ticket you were given when you entered validated (stamped) by the cashier at Villa during checkout

Understood, I use the reserved parking for Villa customers at the front and avoid the garage.

You make a good point or two OP.

An extra wide walkway over 2nd rd would help, it is rather dangerous to cross, tending to deadly if you use the pedestrian crossing lights.

Of course most times of the year walking 'outside' is not attractive too, when just down the street is the very large and comfortable Central Festival Beach Rd.

I am sure the other places are struggling too, Tops, and Central Festival North are quiet these days. But the BigC-X (formerly Carrefour) Mall does very well despite being rather out of the way. A good selection of shops, a superior supermarket, cool and spacious and free parking all help. I wish the Avenue well but fear 'shopping' is in oversupply in Pattaya and doing it in sunlight doesn't appeal to everyone.

• Like 2

Understood, I use the reserved parking for Villa customers at the front and avoid the garage.

So do I , but many times the "car rental" concession has taken up all the available spots on the outside (front) parking area

The place was a disaster from the start ,,wrong side of the road ,outside in the heat ,nothing much there , villa ok ,we go there about once a month just to looksee, apart from that ,sorry it will never make a go of it. shame .

So do I , but many times the "car rental" concession has taken up all the available spots on the outside (front) parking area

I was at Villa this morning, there are about 8 spots that are barricaded and marked "Villa parking" on the motorbike aisle. The attendant moved the iron barricade so I could park. When I leave I use the "back" exit.

The owners built one of the more thoughtful developments in town, preserving some nice trees. Could have paved over the whole lot I suppose and built a bunch of crummy shophouses.

Mystery to me why it doesn't do better.

They have proper shops anchoring the place, banks, supermarket, McDonalds, Starbucks.

The recent changes seem to have stimulated some commerce and the massive condo developments behind the place will see it doing well.

All they need is a pedestrian overpass across 2nd rd.

Hardly anyone would use it. I certainly wouldn't. I dont do stairs any more if I can possibly avoid them.

But I have no trouble crossing 2nd Road on foot.

I wouldn't use it either unless it had escalators on both ends.

Yes, any pedestrian bridge would need escalators for any great number of people to choose between dicing with death or a heart-attack on the climbs with your bags of Villa goodies. Plenty sidewalk space either side too if they tell the tat sellers to bugger off.

The range of new stores opening at Avenue are aimed at a different demographic than those at Central Festival. Mind you, the latters demographic of 'shoppers' look like they are only their to window shop between sessions at the trough in the food court. There's few designer or UK High Street labels on Avenue so they could attract a lower-income, package tourist set rather than the Thai wannabe hi-so's of Central.

There's plenty of eating venues in Avenue just waiting for passing trade from hungry shoppers too.

When it's ready for whatever passes as high season, the owners simply MUST get rid of the stalls selling tat that clutter up the broad entrance and narrow what must be the only 200 yards of decent sidewalk in Thailand. If they set up some sort of attraction in the large circular area beyond that 'foyer', they could have the attraction to bring shoppers inside. Otherwise they aren't going to fight a path through the stalls and walk on by like they already do.

• Like 2

I stay right there myself and always am pulling for the avenue to find a niche and succeed, good point in op about the traffic xing, would be a good idea to make it easier.

As for villa, agree it has improved. Still a way to go but as the area fills out it should get more produce and some more ready meals. In the past it was terrible, esp the staff, felt like never got a smile once in years of shopping...the crew now are much more pleasant.

The new Outlet store on the first floor is way overpriced for the venue,something like Mikes would do better. Could not a gym chain be persuaded to take over the old California WOW site. Session in there ,bit of 10 pin bowling later or a movie,was really good

The owners built one of the more thoughtful developments in town, preserving some nice trees. Could have paved over the whole lot I suppose and built a bunch of crummy shophouses.

They have proper shops anchoring the place, banks, supermarket, McDonalds, Starbucks.

The recent changes seem to have stimulated some commerce and the massive condo developments behind the place will see it doing well.

They really need to do better on their prices everything seems to be bloated prices even a Macdonalds hamburger is 17 baht more at this location. Electronics not a chance Com city is usually 10-20% better prices. The staff for Apple & Samsung are the dumbest reps I have ever seen.Even the placement of the escalators suck. Royal Garden still seems to me a lot better place to shop. Even though Villa is expensive Try getting a russet potato(American) (That they call a rusell) anywhere else in town. Ipod 160 was 2400 more than co city. Nikon 5300 with a 18-140VR lens was a disappointing 6000 baht more than the top price in all of Thailand. They charge too much otherwise it is a great place to hang & check out the hot Russian babes looking to ditch their hubby's or boyfriends.Too bad they could have done way better than the way they patterned it out to be.Some people love Central but to me it is like the Pattaya floating market (that never was )

• Like 2

They really need to do better on their prices everything seems to be bloated prices even a Macdonalds hamburger is 17 baht more at this location. Electronics not a chance Com city is usually 10-20% better prices. The staff for Apple & Samsung are the dumbest reps I have ever seen.Even the placement of the escalators suck. Royal Garden still seems to me a lot better place to shop. Even though Villa is expensive Try getting a russet potato(American) (That they call a rusell) anywhere else in town. Ipod 160 was 2400 more than co city. Nikon 5300 with a 18-140VR lens was a disappointing 6000 baht more than the top price in all of Thailand. They charge too much otherwise it is a great place to hang & check out the hot Russian babes looking to ditch their hubby's or boyfriends.Too bad they could have done way better than the way they patterned it out to be.Some people love Central but to me it is like the Pattaya floating market (that never was )

The best thing about the place, the cocktail cart that sets up in the evening, and the Turkish place selling kebabs next door to Mickey Ds.

Personally I luv Centran, the mrs gets lost in there for hours as I wait round the corner in WATW, good girl, she always brings me a kebab from Centran 80 baht, why are they 160 in The Avenue?