China develops anti-drone laser

webfact

I got the impression that the article was alluding to how it was all done with cheap components rather than having multi-million dollar budgets and 20 tonne vehicles.

Imitation and innovation are a close couple though.

Since there are allegedly camera drones made like mosquitoes, the accuracy would have to be good, and the speed/altitude less important.

If I could buy a 'bug zapper' like this for taking out mosquitoes then I'd be very interested to learn more (so long as it doesn't blind you while it's targeting - I've had my fair share of mishaps with very low power HeNe lasers and not wearing protective goggles).

I got the impression that the article was alluding to how it was all done with cheap components rather than having multi-million dollar budgets and 20 tonne vehicles

Government needs always to guarantee it gets the best bang for the taxpayer's buck but then that's my attitude and the common pursuit of many citizens in Western countries.

The people of the people's republic have no idea of government budgets or spending, from the numbers to the policies to the priorities. The PRChinese have no idea what the CCP Boyz in Beijing spend on what, when, where, why or why not, much less how. This is true because the people's government doesn't tell them nor does it have to say.

The OP in this respect is just as silent as are the CCP government hacks that wrote it. That the OP is from the Yonhap News Agency in South Korea and published the piece it received from Beijing changes nothing about this factual point.

Don't give me that "the Chinese are just as smart as anyone else". Unless by " smart" you mean copy or steal.

Name one high tech invention China has given the world (in the past century).

Inventing gunpowder or toy helicopters don't count...

They're definitely not as hardworking as Mexicans.

Don't give me that "the Chinese are just as smart as anyone else". Unless by " smart" you mean copy or steal.

It wasn't that long ago that Japan was imitating.

Not anymore.

China will be a powerhouse.

Don't delude yourself about them being second-rate.

Most of the things China is developing started in the west, just copy's or an idea from the originals. when they pluck some thing out of the air and develop it, Like the Jet Engine TV, Radio, Internet, mobile phones texing, penicillin, the list goes on. You don't have to be a big Country to invent things, only freedom of speech and thought. which China does not allow yet.

• Like 1

How about loaning some to the French? Their nuke plants around the country have been buzzed recently by who knows who.... Although French minimize the risk, could be recon on defenses ahead of some ground assault by nut cases angry over no veil rule, or?

That's the scary part of drones. Wow...

• Like 1

Why limit to the last century ? The Chinese were far more advanced as us at the height of their empire. That shows that they did far more as copying. I wonder who they copied the great wall from.

The PRChinese never ask why. Any time in the PRChina you ask why, the Chinese immediately say to you, 'no why!' The Chinese instantly reject any and every "why" question. They are often openly contentious about it.

The CCP and the PRChinese do ask foreign devils in the PRC, "How can we do that?"

They ask every day how to do things, from technology to business to R&D etc.

In China it's not why, it's how. That's the way of it while i was in the PRC and that's the way it remains. Whatever energy the civilization had is gone, long gone (since about A.D. 1400).

China remains an ancient civilization that has to deal with the modern world and to them there's no 'why' about it.

The only question is how.

Here's something China has invented recently. Unfortunately:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/773707-thailand-live-tuesday-4-nov-2014/page-2#entry8626562

Consumers warned of fake seaweed

BANGKOK, 4 Nov, 2014 (NNT) - Health officials and online informants have warned consumers to be more careful when buying or eating sea food following reports of fake seaweed.

According to online sources, the fake seaweed, which was discovered at a fresh market at Rangsit area, looks similar to real seaweed but was much tougher because it was made from plastic. The products were imported from China.

This doesn't sound like a major technological advance to me. It sounds like something that shoots down the buy-at-the-hobby-shop drone.

I wonder how many birds they will take out thinking it is a drone.

Of course the Chinese cant be advanced. I think this is a big blow to the USA as they love drones the most. If China can use this a lot drones of the US are no longer a problem for them.

It's not a problem unless China sells the technology to various "rogue" nations. Which they have done in the past, unfortunately! But drones get shot down now even without this technology.

Drones are fantastic. Saves lives, much less expensive, and some can go places other tech gadgets can't. Drones are changing our lives in many ways...mostly good. I liked the drone shots of the protests in Bangkok earlier this year. Amazing footage.

I was with a guy who had a drone at the bike fest here in Pattaya last year. It was neat to see the event from that perspective.

yes, but I think China wants to shut down, aren't the "good" ones, that hopefully can deliver us the Pizza soon. I think this technology is intended to shoot down these drones which are used for war crimes.

It wasn't that long ago that Japan was imitating.

Not anymore.

China will be a powerhouse.

Don't delude yourself about them being second-rate.

Most of the things China is developing started in the west, just copy's or an idea from the originals. when they pluck some thing out of the air and develop it, Like the Jet Engine TV, Radio, Internet, mobile phones texing, penicillin, the list goes on. You don't have to be a big Country to invent things, only freedom of speech and thought. which China does not allow yet.

yes the last 100 years, because they started very backwards. But think in longer terms...They had a great culture before the Roman Empire came.

I am sure in 50 years there will be some great inventions from China as well. I doubt that Chinese are for any reason less able than Europeans.

The PRChinese never ask why. Any time in the PRChina you ask why, the Chinese immediately say to you, 'no why!' The Chinese instantly reject any and every "why" question. They are often openly contentious about it.

The CCP and the PRChinese do ask foreign devils in the PRC, "How can we do that?"

They ask every day how to do things, from technology to business to R&D etc.

In China it's not why, it's how. That's the way of it while i was in the PRC and that's the way it remains. Whatever energy the civilization had is gone, long gone (since about A.D. 1400).

China remains an ancient civilization that has to deal with the modern world and to them there's no 'why' about it.

The only question is how.

With the few regions some have actually travelled inside China , I am not surprised some of the views presented are very bigotry in nature and condescending .

I would challenge you to a debates of "why" with some intellectuals in China but a sense of western paranoia at times makes meetings arrangements hard

Hence its much easier to stay as type writer hater ....I can understand that.

• Like 1