Another problem with Firefox

billd766

In the last few days I had had a problem with Firefox v33.0.2. When it is running it is OK all day.

I shut my computer down at night and in the morning when I try to load Firefox I get the message "cannot load XPCOM".

The only way I can fix it is by uninstalling Firefox completely and then opening Google Chrome (which I only use as a backup) and downloading a fresh copy from the Mozilla website.

Is anybody else having a similar problem?

I have been using Firefox for years and upgrading it when a later version comes along.

Is there a better browser out there for use on Windows 7 and probably Windows 8 later?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

XPCOM is a cross-platform component object model, which is similar to Microsoft COM, and is required for file and memory management, basic data structures and so on.

This Firefox start-up error can typically occur after performing a Windows System Restore or if you run it in a Sandbox.

There no need to un-install Firefox any more and risk losing your browser info. Just download latest version (33.0.2), then just click on upgrade to fix it.

Edited by BB1950

Luckily my Firefox data comes back when I reload Firefox but it is a PITA as it has happened 3 times in the last 4 days and I had to use Google chrome to get back online and download Firefox.

It has only happened with Firefox 33.0.2 version.

Strange that you should mention System Restore as after thar but I kept getting the systen restore error message

System recovery failed error 0xc0000022

I loaded this file which seemed to fix that problem.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/system-recovery-failed-error-0xc0000022/e5e04904-e7ec-44ce-8a6b-7547e5cffb9b

Edited by billd766

Luckily my Firefox data comes back when I reload Firefox but it is a PITA as it has happened 3 times in the last 4 days and I had to use Google chrome to get back online and download Firefox.

It has only happened with Firefox 33.0.2 version.

Strange that you should mention System Restore as after thar but I kept getting the systen restore error message

System recovery failed error 0xc0000022

I loaded this file which seemed to fix that problem.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/system-recovery-failed-error-0xc0000022/e5e04904-e7ec-44ce-8a6b-7547e5cffb9b

You might try down grading to: Firefox 32.0.3 (US English) since you only had the problem with 33.0.2. It was released October 28, 2014.

Edited by BB1950

I've been having problems since around v.26 or so. I never had problems with FF, but it's prone to crashing quite a bit now.

Been getting a lot of random Plugin Container Crashes. Just tonight, all the sudden, FF started crashing when I tried to play a YT video or go full screen. Never crashed from that until now and I keep FF, Plugins and everything else, updated.

Haven't tried a fresh FF install, maybe I'll give that a go.

I've been having problems since around v.26 or so. I never had problems with FF, but it's prone to crashing quite a bit now.

Been getting a lot of random Plugin Container Crashes. Just tonight, all the sudden, FF started crashing when I tried to play a YT video or go full screen. Never crashed from that until now and I keep FF, Plugins and everything else, updated.

I've had similar problems. I'm now trying the 34.0 Beta 5 release. Version 34.0 is supposed to fix Plugin Container Crashes. It's still to early to tell for sure wether it's fixed or not. But I haven't had any container crashes yet! And a few other problems I've noticed before haven't been visable yet. All my extensions are supported in this release and are functioning! So far, 34.0 Beta 5 seems to be a good version.

I'm not going to move away from Firefox! I depend on the extensive browser support with add-ons/extensions. No other browser has that! I've lived through the rough times... (Firefox versions 4 through 9). All browsers seem to have their up and down periods with poor/buggy releases.

The problem I've had with Firefox the last few versions is when uploading a video to Youtube, firefox.exe suddenly consumes 50% CPU resources until the upload is finished. Guess it's a bug that needs sorting. IE doesn't do this.

I think some of us enjoy using firefox, and are addicted to the add-ons that we have been working with.

There was a few times when it crashed, but, having used it for ten years (or more), it has been a pleasure.

I.E. is just too much of Microsoft...(cannot explain).

Firefox is just so much more configurable...

I admit, for those who just want the basics...IE is probably enough.

• Like 1

I no longer subscribe to the release channel or alpha/beta versions for just this reason. I know how exciting it used to be to get a new FF but those days are gone. I agree about the addons, I would be lost without them, why anyone stilluses IE I can't imagine.

• Like 2

I've had similar problems. I'm now trying the 34.0 Beta 5 release. Version 34.0 is supposed to fix Plugin Container Crashes. It's still to early to tell for sure wether it's fixed or not. But I haven't had any container crashes yet! And a few other problems I've noticed before haven't been visable yet. All my extensions are supported in this release and are functioning! So far, 34.0 Beta 5 seems to be a good version.

I'm not going to move away from Firefox! I depend on the extensive browser support with add-ons/extensions. No other browser has that! I've lived through the rough times... (Firefox versions 4 through 9). All browsers seem to have their up and down periods with poor/buggy releases.

Just had too many problems this past year with Firefox, so have moved to Chrome and although it doesn't have the "user-friendly" feel that Firefox had, I have now gotten used to it and will not be going back to Firefox.

Had enough of the crashes, stalls/hangs and related add-ons/extensions/plug-ins problems and will persevere with Chrome now that I have made the change.

Truth..if you do not use the add-ons much, there there are other browsers that you may be happier with.

We love the add-ons....

I also thought of just not making firefox my default browser. You can use more than one browser, simultaneously. No need to be faithful. Keep one for searches. There is an ultra fast, no frills browser called Off-by-one. It lacks flash and java..but sure searches quicks. Then just copy all the links to a multi-clipboard ...to use in firefox.

Just an idea.

Truth..if you do not use the add-ons much, there there are other browsers that you may be happier with.

We love the add-ons....

I also thought of just not making firefox my default browser. You can use more than one browser, simultaneously. No need to be faithful. Keep one for searches. There is an ultra fast, no frills browser called Off-by-one. It lacks flash and java..but sure searches quicks. Then just copy all the links to a multi-clipboard ...to use in firefox.

Just an idea.

Amen brother regarding the "No need to be faithful" comment regarding browsers.

I use to use IE as my primary browser but about a year ago I switched to Chrome as my primary browser and kept IE as my secondary browser. As usually when I'm logging onto my financial/banking websites I use IE as I have less issues in viewing/using some sites and using my password manager with IE than with Chrome. A few sites seem have a hard time keeping up with Chrome and the changes it seems to implement frequently. And since I switched from 32bit to 64bit Chrome about a month ago, one Chrome extension still has issues with the 64bit version, but not the 32bit version.

And on one of my other computers I have Chrome, IE, and Firefox loaded. About a year ago for about 4 to 6 weeks I used all three browsers equally throughout th mat 4 to 6 week period see which one I preferred and to pick a secondary browser...as previously mentioned I choose Chrome as my primary browser and IE as my secondary browser. Works for me...so far has allowed me to peacefully get along with all websites and still use the apps/extensions I want to use.

• Like 1

I have Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Pale Moon, Torch and Tor browsers all on my laptop(!) Have different add-ons on four and none on the other. That way I can choose a specific browser for whatever I want to do as I find that certain browsers work better on certain websites. And when one gives me trouble or runs slowly I just switch to another.

Just had too many problems this past year with Firefox, so have moved to Chrome and although it doesn't have the "user-friendly" feel that Firefox had, I have now gotten used to it and will not be going back to Firefox.

Had enough of the crashes, stalls/hangs and related add-ons/extensions/plug-ins problems and will persevere with Chrome now that I have made the change.

I think you might regret using Chrome, I have had problems with it on every computer I have had since I moved to Thailand, that's three desktops and two laptops.

I think you might regret using Chrome, I have had problems with it on every computer I have had since I moved to Thailand, that's three desktops and two laptops.

So far so good Possum1931!!!

Firefox 33 just locked up on me this morning.... first time I can remember having a problem with FF.... (I am on Mac with Yosemite)

I forced quit, and also turned the modem off and then on again.... Then a report message popped up...when it restarted...

Seems OK now.... we'll see! wink.png

My Firefox upgraded to 33.1 in the past couple days, and so far, it's been fine on my Win 7 PCs...

BTW, for those times when a website demands or works better with IE, Firefox users can also install one of several add-ons with the general name of IE Tab. You can stay in Firefox, but it toggles the browser to work like IE in terms of interacting with websites, even includes selecting which version of IE you want it to emulate, and choosing to run it automatically on a site-by-site basis.

In the past, as Pib noted, financial/banking websites seemed to be the ones that most often had compatibility problems with FF, and I used to use IE Tab a lot in those places. But more recently, those issues seem to have subsided. Not sure if it's improvements to FF or the banks configuring their websites to be more browser agnostic.

My Firefox also upgraded to 33.1 and I have had no problems for a week touch wood so I think perhaps it may have been a combination of Firefox 33.0.2 and doing a system restore to get rid of a different problem.

Further to my earlier post, I saw an auto upgrade come thru for Firefox so installed it and switched back to Firefox from Chrome, thinking my Firefox problems might now be over (was getting used to Chrome but Firefox was my browser of choice for years).

Within half a day I got the message, "Firefox has stopped working" and from what I can remember of the rest of the message, something about no solution found and a report was sent to??

Hmm, looks like Chrome will have to be my browser, so had better get used to it!!!

My Firefox also upgraded to 33.1 and I have had no problems for a week touch wood so I think perhaps it may have been a combination of Firefox 33.0.2 and doing a system restore to get rid of a different problem.

Further to my earlier post, I saw an auto upgrade come thru for Firefox so installed it and switched back to Firefox from Chrome, thinking my Firefox problems might now be over (was getting used to Chrome but Firefox was my browser of choice for years).

Within half a day I got the message, "Firefox has stopped working" and from what I can remember of the rest of the message, something about no solution found and a report was sent to??

Hmm, looks like Chrome will have to be my browser, so had better get used to it!!!

I am on my sons computer at the moment and 3 times in the last 10 minutes I have had the same message, "Firefox has stopped working".

I think it is about time I moved over to something else, probably Chrome.

Enough is enough already.

• Like 1