Thai chips not bland and boring enough for Americans (VIDEO)

webfact

Yep. You always have bastardised the English language .. aluminium is a case in point :-D

They are crisps. These are chips :-D

Also America SHOULD have better Vietnamese food .. you have more Vietnamese people living in the USA than Thailand!

Let a Dutch uncle tell you that the OP is on 'chips', we Dutch call them thus. The stuff in the basket looks like "french fries" (aka patates frites = fried potatoes) rather than English chips as they don't seem thick enough wink.png

PS WIKI pages

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potato_chip

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_fries

Can I have a second opinion from a Belgian. wink.png

Crisps are slices---chips are what they sound like, as in chips of wood. fried potatoes are usually mashed potatoes fried up as we used to have to have on Monday dinner--mashed left over from Sunday lunch and fried in a pan. Remember the Smash advert, powdered potatoes--alien men " we mash them up bla bla bla.

The fried up leftovers from Sunday dinner,was called Bubble and Squeak,where i come from,every Sunday I make

sure I make extra veg and potato so i can make it for breakfast Monday morning,Bacon,Black Pudding and beans,

Black Pudding flavour crisps,would buy them !

regards Worgeordie

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Think I'll go and listen to Shostakovich' Andante 2 Opus 101....... one of those European crap things that didn't emulate from America, and probably 99.999% of Americans couldn't recognise, if it was handed on a plate with chips, mushy peas, a piece of cod and HP Sauce, all covered in Malt vinegar and wrapped in yesterday's copy of the Daily Mail (oops - banned). If it's not American.. it's crap - not even chippish and crunchy, and doesn't you a lard arse... just not good.

These Thai companies have a real cheek

1. They blow the bag up with air so you cannot tell what is actually inside

2. When you open the bag (not an easy task) and look inside it is 90% empty

3. The flavours aren't that bad.

But seriously they are the biggest rip off in this country - a bag full of air for 30-40 baht..........never again

I don't think they blow them up it's just the heat fluctuations that cause that. Like banana cakes etc at 7/11 or petrol stations, when they first arrive the packaging is flat, after a few days it bloats. If it looks like a balloon check the resale date. It's probably on the day (or after)

That "news" story was a bunch of idiotic American bashing. I know supposed to be funny, but based on total ignorance of the author. Today's Americans love spicy food and challenging flavors. Hot and spicy Mexican salsa and "Thai/Viet" Sricracha sauce in, ketchup out. They are going on very dated stereotypes that haven't been true for decades. Even the headline is messed up. The taster complained one of the chips was TOO BLAND, not bland and boring enough.

As far as international travel, did you know you can easily get much better Vietnamese food in the USA than in Thailand? Odd considering if you look at a map. Americans are NOT provincial eaters. THAIS on the other hand ...

You counter stereotypes with stereotypes....The "dated" stereotype against your "new" stereotype....

Americans have some of the most sophisticated palates on the planet.

JT, I am 100% sure that you have a very sophisticated palette. But judging from the attitude of hundreds of US citizens from all walks of life who have ate at my hotels over the past 10 years, I have zero confidence that your statement above is anywhere near the truth.

The USA sure has plenty of excellent restaurants, but that doesn't mean the diners have sophisticated palettes...

BTW, I'm not saying that the Brits have sophisticated palettes, (I don't think they do). But when I was in New York last time, (granted a few years ago), I was 'knocked' off the 'sidewalk'; by the girth of the average American.

Did they get that fat as a result of their sophisticated palette???

If you think New Yorkers are fat, go to Texas!! Houston especially!! America has by far the fattest people. Fact.

I believe that honor belongs to Mexico, not the USA.

• Like 1

Best explanation of the crisps or chips debate.

http://www.propercrisps.co.nz/2009/01/the-origin-of-potato-crisps/

They were called crisped chips, the Brits shortened it one way and the Americans the other (the one that was easier to spell wink.png )

Easier to spell.... YOU Git! I nearly choked on my chips and pork pie!

Yep. You always have bastardised the English language .. aluminium is a case in point :-D

Also America SHOULD have better Vietnamese food .. you have more Vietnamese people living in the USA than Thailand!

Let a Dutch uncle tell you that the OP is on 'chips', we Dutch call them thus. The stuff in the basket looks like "french fries" (aka patates frites = fried potatoes) rather than English chips as they don't seem thick enough wink.png

PS WIKI pages

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potato_chip

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_fries

Can I have a second opinion from a Belgian. wink.png

Crisps are slices---chips are what they sound like, as in chips of wood. fried potatoes are usually mashed potatoes fried up as we used to have to have on Monday dinner--mashed left over from Sunday lunch and fried in a pan. Remember the Smash advert, powdered potatoes--alien men " we mash them up bla bla bla.

The English language came from the English, there are those that like to add some individuality but at the end of the day there is no argument - English is English

Crisps are thin slices of potato and fried crispy - flavoured and put in a bag (in Thailands case the bag is almost empty)

Chips are potatoes cut into finger sized pieces and deep fried in oil

Fries is a difficult one but they are generally thinly cut pieces of something (maybe potato but I doubt it) frozen and distributed to the likes of KFC McDonalds and other fast food outlets then fried in oil to produce a tasteless portion of junk

If you think New Yorkers are fat, go to Texas!! Houston especially!! America has by far the fattest people. Fact.

Perhaps not a fact any more. Results vary depending on the study. But either way, many countries populations are way overweight and not that far off from others.

http://gawker.com/america-is-no-longer-the-most-obese-country-in-the-worl-714151306

Bad news, patriots: According to a new UN study, America is no longer the most obese country among more populous nations. That honor, which, according to another study, Americans held as recently as March, now belongs to Mexico.

Here another:

http://www.therichest.com/rich-list/poorest-list/the-10-fattest-countries-in-2014/10/

1. Kuwait: 42.8% of population

Plus, America is a very diverse country. The west coast has many who are very fit. The midwest? Not as many.

These are not chips, they are crisps.

A lesson to my dearest Americans, by a Greek.

Wrong. In the U.S., they are chips. Get a grip ... different countries, different usage.

And if you want the best Indian curry, head to England. Of course, you must order the meal in Urdu.

Perhaps not a fact any more. Results vary depending on the study. But either way, many countries populations are way overweight and not that far off from others.

http://gawker.com/america-is-no-longer-the-most-obese-country-in-the-worl-714151306

Bad news, patriots: According to a new UN study, America is no longer the most obese country among more populous nations. That honor, which, according to another study, Americans held as recently as March, now belongs to Mexico.

Here another:

http://www.therichest.com/rich-list/poorest-list/the-10-fattest-countries-in-2014/10/

Plus, America is a very diverse country. The west coast has many who are very fit. The midwest? Not as many.

So diverse it seems to forget what English is. Makes me wonder how many Mexican words and such like have been adopted.... you know... like Taco Bell (fat food outlet) etc.

Edit: fast food outlet.

The fried up leftovers from Sunday dinner,was called Bubble and Squeak,where i come from,every Sunday I make

sure I make extra veg and potato so i can make it for breakfast Monday morning,Bacon,Black Pudding and beans,

Black Pudding flavour crisps,would buy them !

regards Worgeordie

Didn't mother put in cabbage stalks with the potatoes, I hated cabbage, and thought the stalks were potatoes until I realized too late PEWK

I used to make black pudding in the butchers shop. Blood with chippings of white fat and corn all done in sausage type strings.

We used to joke with some ladies about the black sausage/pudding and said to them "how many widows delights do you want dear" 555 Ha ha

Americans have some of the most sophisticated palates on the planet.

JT, I am 100% sure that you have a very sophisticated palette. But judging from the attitude of hundreds of US citizens from all walks of life who have ate at my hotels over the past 10 years, I have zero confidence that your statement above is anywhere near the truth.

The USA sure has plenty of excellent restaurants, but that doesn't mean the diners have sophisticated palettes...

BTW, I'm not saying that the Brits have sophisticated palettes, (I don't think they do). But when I was in New York last time, (granted a few years ago), I was 'knocked' off the 'sidewalk'; by the girth of the average American.

Did they get that fat as a result of their sophisticated palette???

I believe that honor belongs to Mexico, not the USA.

No prizes here guys. The fattest people according to a survey done 7 years ago puts the Pacific island of Nauru as No.1.

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=nauru+fat+people&client=firefox-a&hs=Mdc&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=nts&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=cGtXVPjXGdaHuASk7oGwAg&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=615

Here's a list from 2007. Not a lot will have changed.

http://www.forbes.com/2007/02/07/worlds-fattest-countries-forbeslife-cx_ls_0208worldfat.html

Thailand a respectable #144

Here another:

So diverse it seems to forget what English is. Makes me wonder how many Mexican words and such like have been adopted.... you know... like Taco Bell (fat food outlet) etc.

You mean Spanish words? Mexican is not a language.

• Like 2

CRISPS as they are called in England, and I believe where they were invented, are a savoury snack. As far as I and all of my friends are concerned, the Thai style of flavouring is unnaturally sweet. I would suggest that they would only be popular amongst small children in most western countries.

In fact most things in Thailand are unnaturally sweet, boring for me. As yet the government here does not seem to have made the population aware; just how unhealthy processed sugar in large quantities is.

The Americans dont even have chips at McDonalds they have that horrible little skinny things they call French fries better off with a bag of crisps any day than a McDonalds at least you wont feel hungry afterwards.

You might be in the minority with regards to not liking their fries. Extremely popular and addictive! FYI...I don't eat at McDonalds.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/1002598-whats-really-inside-those-mcdonalds-french-fries/

Of course, you want fries with that. Does the server behind the register even need to ask? Let's face it, no meal at McDonald's is complete without an order of its delicious fries. And to think, the world-famous french fries were added to the menu only as an afterthought. They replaced plain old potato chips in 1949, nine years after the first-ever McDonald's opened its doors for business in California.

DEXTROSE: Another word for sugar, this is third ingredient, following potatoes and oil, in McDonald's fries. Now why would such a savory food need a dash of sweetness? Well, it's simple: It makes it taste better and it also increases addiction and cravings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonald%27s#Facts_and_figures

McDonald's restaurants are found in 118 countries[16] and territories around the world and serve 68 million customers each day.[5] McDonald's operates over 35,000 restaurants worldwide, employing more than 1.7 million people

I believe that many of the people that often put down American have never been to America. Just talking out their "sun don't shine" place.

Surprising that no one has said anything about the douche bag people in the video. Who cares what they think?

Are the people in the video NOT American???

Only an idiot would think that a few douche bags in a video represent all Americans. No more representative of all Americans than Mr. Bean and Benny Hill are of all English people, or are they?

I'm curious how someone can be a member for 11 months and you posted more than 3000 comments. That's 275 a day and not much that was useful.

So their NOT American? Ok thanks for clearing that up.

As for the post count. I sometimes have conversations with other posters. Strange huh!

I'm guessing reading comprehension isn't your high point.

Here another:

What's a Mexican word?

• Like 1

I think the video is cute. I have a feeling that the staff at Coconut are not native speakers of English? They don't seem to understand nuanced humor. In reality, the 'reviewers' like most of the chips and enjoy exotic flavors. They are also using critical thinking skills.

Just because you don't hear a 'boing' every time someone puts a chip in their mouth or the reviewers aren't going 'oy oy oy' after each new taste, it can still be clever! hahha

• Like 1

Only an idiot would think that a few douche bags in a video represent all American. No more representative of all Americans than Mr. Bean and Benny Hill are of all English people, or are they?

I'm curious how someone can be a member for 11 months and you posted more than 3000 comments. That's 275 a day and not much that was useful.

So their NOT American? Ok thanks for clearing that up.

As for the post count. I sometimes have conversations with other posters. Strange huh!

You're too kind with him.

Myself I would have averaged 11 months into 330 days and do a mental calculation of 3000/330 coming to a result of approximately 9.090909 post per day. But then, I'm known to be nasty at times rolleyes.gif

Absolutely correct about the count based on your assumption of 330 actual days. Actually he has been a member for only 315 days with 3029 posts, for an average of 9.61587301687301 posts per day. I suppose you will now tell us you knew that.

I should have proof read it before posting, to say about 275 a month. Lost my near perfect record. That was my first BIG mistake for this year.

• Like 1

Once again Thaivisa is aiding in the American bashing here.

and English bashing, and Alaskan bashing and I'm waiting for dear fabs for some Dutch bashing.

Soon all those not bashed will feel discriminated against, or simply insignificant in the broader scheme of things. The HRW organisation will surely hear about this rolleyes.gif

Think I'll go and listen to Shostakovich' Andante 2 Opus 101....... one of those European crap things that didn't emulate from America, and probably 99.999% of Americans couldn't recognise, if it was handed on a plate with chips, mushy peas, a piece of cod and HP Sauce, all covered in Malt vinegar and wrapped in yesterday's copy of the Daily Mail (oops - banned). If it's not American.. it's crap - not even chippish and crunchy, and doesn't you a lard arse... just not good.

That's some serious sophistication right there.

Speaking of lard a rse s, England's women get high marks. The common point of contention arises once again.

The Americans would say the Brits are, as usual, following the American trends.

The Brits one up the Yanks by claiming to have INVENTED fat a rse s, and the Americans merely adopted it, just like they did everything else.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-health/10863001/Why-are-British-girls-so-fat.html

Edit: How else can you spell , a rse s, ar se s, ars e s tongue.png

Edited by 55Jay
  • Like 1

Here another:

What's a Mexican word?

crispos, when they mean chippos. giggle.gif

• Like 1

These are not chips, they are crisps.

A lesson to my dearest Americans, by a Greek.

Wrong. In the U.S., they are chips. Get a grip ... different countries, different usage.

Better Chinese food as well.

Better Malaysian food as well.

Better Burmese food as well.

Better Cambodian food as well.

Better Indian food as well.

etc., etc.

What do Thais like beyond Thai?

Fake Japanese food.

Fake Italian food.

Unless you go to the little places on subsois of sukhumvit that do real Italian and real Japanese (and then to Soi 12 for real Korean).