Mosquito Killers

elliottm

Any up to date recommendations on mosquito killers excluding the electric 'tennis racket'?

Uncle just got something with a purple LED to attract & vacuum to suck them in but I understand that they're actually attracted by the carbon dioxide we exhale, just going through Lazada online which has many contraptions - not interested in prevention/deterrence just killing, thanks!.

a few drops of engine oil onto every bucket of water you see hanging around in the garden.

Better still - a quick spray of 'mortein' etc is even better.

The wigglers will then soon not be...

nip the problem in the bud

Heh Heh! the flametrower should works great on cockroaches - they can't run away

Edited by tifino

True story coming up...I rub a little bit of red wine on my feet if I'm outside having a BBQ or such. It started of by accident when I spilt a bit if wine on my feet and rubbed it in. I found that mozzies didn't sting my feet. Now I do it as a deliberate act and it works for insecticide free repellant.

• Like 2

We've tried a few different ones but these are what we use now. Pick them up at places like Amorn for 590 baht. I never knew we had so many mozzies until I saw how many this gets. The special light tube needs replacing yearly for 100 baht or so.The noise it makes when another one bites the dust... :)

image-728281-1-product.jpg

• Like 1

We've tried a few different ones but these are what we use now. Pick them up at places like Amorn for 590 baht. I never knew we had so many mozzies until I saw how many this gets. The special light tube needs replacing yearly for 100 baht or so.The noise it makes when another one bites the dust... smile.png

they are great. I have a mall one for the bedroom at night as these ones are too bright but I use it before I go to bed as well as other parts of the house during the night. I like the bats as they are good fun to use plus they give you ecercise as well.

• Like 1

We've tried a few different ones but these are what we use now. Pick them up at places like Amorn for 590 baht. I never knew we had so many mozzies until I saw how many this gets. The special light tube needs replacing yearly for 100 baht or so.The noise it makes when another one bites the dust... smile.png

Thanks kkerry & tom21. My interest was piqued by a tvdirect docu-ad - mozzies track by CO2, body heat & movement and the one in the advert has a purple LED & what seems to be some CO2 production at a rather chunky 2700bt (reduced from 6000bt hehe) - can you see if this one uses anything alongside the LED, thanks.

• Like 1

they are great. I have a mall one for the bedroom at night as these ones are too bright but I use it before I go to bed as well as other parts of the house during the night. I like the bats as they are good fun to use plus they give you ecercise as well.

bought a big one from makro 400bht.3yrs.ago and still going strong.and its on every night.i cleaned ours last week and anybody that thinks do they work,come and see me cleaning it.feeds the fish for a month.

• Like 1

I bought a cheap one at Big C and it really did not work .....BUT

maybe my 1 or 2 mozzzies were smart ones.......if there were 100s of them maybe it would get some of them, but the ones in my hotel room did not take the "bait" and it was on for days at a time,

maybe the mozzies are scared of the expensive ones and fly away !

We had one of the more expensive ones, with the turbo fan. A bit noisy and never seemed to get many hits even situated in a spot where you could swat dozens of mosquitoes a night.

The Mitsamuru in the pic is what other people in our Soi use so we got one despite thinking it might not be much good because it was cheap. It is amazing how many it kills and after a week we hardly ever got bitten again. I've experimented in where to place it for best results and for our house they work best located in corners, lowdown rather than higher. We have three in a two storey house. We run them 24/7 (also useful as a nite-lite). They use a 10w tube so the power cost is similar I suppose to having a ceiling light always on. The previous turbo model probably used the same amount of electricity on its own. A replacement tube costs 99 baht despite the outrageous prices I've found overseas online. A tube lasts us at least one year.

• Like 1

To keep them away from our frontdoor i planted fragrant lemongrass in a pot. Now i even can sit outside, that sure was impossible before that.

Not sure if the plant is doing all that alone, there also seem to be less mosquito's in the rest of the moobaan. The whole moobaan gets fumigated sometimes with one of those big smoke-cannons but they also did that previous years when we had them everywhere.

If they still bite me i rup some leaves of the lemongrass between my hands and rup that over my legs, smells great and seems to work. I also hitting the plant with a stick releases the lemonsmell.

Lemongrass will cost you 10 baht or so but there seem to be 2 variety's, one smells more then the other.

I also hung 2 ceilingfans above the frontdoor, we can turn them on with the lightswitch inside. If there were good sensors for sale in Thailand i would connect a sensor that can see humans to it so if anybody comes into the house from outside the fans would start running for like 3 minutes. I had a light with that sensor but it didn't last long, seems to be too warm here for those sensors.

Edited by namdocmai

50/50 olive oil and dettol is great, but smells. This light seems worth trying

You apply this where an how?

1.Make the mixture as described 50/50 both ingredients. Leave a space in the bottle for a small quantity of lemon grass oil - it is also a deterrent and smells good.

2. Shake very well and spray yourself - about twicw a day. You can also use it in dark places inside the house.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

If you are in Thailand get some tubes of ANTERGAN from many chemists. 25 baht each. Use small amount and apply with a finger This does not distract a mossie,but the pain goes away in a couple of minutes. I always kep a tube in my pocket..

• Like 1