Is it just me or are Thai people not very thankful of gifts?

yzak

I recently went back to the States and when I came back to Thailand I brought awesome oregon micro brews, smoked salmon, tons of nuts, beef jerky, and godiva chocolates. My Thai friends deserved the best! However, when I gave it to them, it was seriously very weird. Each person. It was like they didn't want it or something and it was taken so nonchalantly.

I gave many gifts to my friends before and it didn't seem like they were too happy. I thought my gifts were just bad :P But now...I am sure my gifts are good enough...so this was a bit strange. Maybe they don't like receiving like that?

I didn't give the gifts out in a big way either, I just said I brought a little something and simply handed them the stuff. All I wanted was a happy thank you!

On the other hand, I gave a gift to my foreigner friend and she nearly cried in joy...

Please let me know if you have similar experiences or tell me that it was just a one time thing.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

they sound like <deleted>, who doesn't get excited by fancy beer or smoked salmon?

I remember bringing chocolate back from home for some of the Thai teachers at my old school and they were very grateful, trust me this is not a thing that is commonplace in Thai culture I would imagine they are just not nice people or maybe they just weren't sure how to react to receiving such nice gifts?

Last year I brought back 2 large tins of Cadbury's chocolates. They went down a treat.

Perfume, 2 * 100 ml bottles. They were fought over because both were different. I should have bought 2 the same.

The various items of sexy lingerie I brought back were worn almost every night, hand washed and taken great care of.

I did research what was wanted before I brought them over.

they sound like <deleted>, who doesn't get excited by fancy beer or smoked salmon?

I remember bringing chocolate back from home for some of the Thai teachers at my old school and they were very grateful, trust me this is not a thing that is commonplace in Thai culture I would imagine they are just not nice people or maybe they just weren't sure how to react to receiving such nice gifts?

and lest not forget there are lot of Thai's who dont eat beef - "beef jerky"....wink.png

Next time OP don't bother with gifts.

Just give them some bank notes, preferably Baht and they will be very thankful.

I speak from own experience.

But if you prefer something tangible, gold is also acceptable. Make sure it's the Thai proof gold, easily convertible.

Edited by Jdietz

you should talk with your fellow countryman TV poster he took milk and tissues to hospital patients he didnt even know

and wondered why they didnt want these offerings i think you should take a leaf from his book and disappear until your ego narrows

or just maybe you are the same person different avatar

Next time OP don't bother with gifts.

Just give them some bank notes, preferably Baht and they will be very thankful.

I speak from own experience.

Yep, that'll do it. I frequently give the housekeeper extra fruit or other things from the market. She is thankful, but not demonstratively though. When the yearly bonus comes around, however, she is over the moon. And she also loves those 7-11 stamps. It may only be ten or twelve baht per week in those stamps, but she loves them better than 200 baht worth of fruit.

• Like 1

As a general rule, Thai people don't open gifts in front of the giver. They say a polite thanks and let it go.

There are solid cultural reasons for this. Getting a gift creates an obligation and making it an important gift by showing delight makes the obligation stronger.

You will know your gift was appreciated if they begin to do more little things for you. Invitations to dinner etc. Finding things that you would enjoy. Etc

Insightful post.

That has been our experience exactly.

• Like 2

Yes, I too have noticed. I think bits of what has already been mentioned, plus some of your friends may not be well mannered or not very sophisticated. But more likely the emotional angle; keeping emotions in check (for the most part) is a big part of Thai culture. They may think they would embarrass themselves by letting go with a 'gee, thanks man!' and of course noticing that it was special, feeling awkwardly obligated as mentioned above. Certain gifts probably shouldn't be exchanged unless one were husband and wife.

• Like 1