What would you suggest for a single guy in his 50's

David48

This is my first ever post on Thai Visa so if I break any rules please tell me quietly and I promise not to do it again. I am in my 50's, living in Thailand (Bangkok) and am happilly single.

The easy way to get started is Tagged. This website will get you very frustrated and you will have many no shows for initial meetings. Why. Because tagged is a social networking site not a dating site. I have met many nice girls through facebook but they are nice friends not potential wife material.

Once you start building a nucleus of friends as a newbie in Thailand you will be amazed as to where single Thai girls appear from. I make no judgement on your morals but I see many ladies hanging around in Expat Pubs (Kiwi Soi 8, No Idea Soi 22, Chequers Soi 4, ((no hostesses there just service staff)), Pickled Liver Soi 7/1 and the Aussie Bar in Soi 11 who all want Farang boyfriends. That is the equivalent of a 25 year old man in the west going out every friday night to a club trying to pull. It is a bit of a lottery but you might get lucky.

A targeted approach is to use a dating service. Thai friendly is one of the better known ones. Alomost every single (unmarried) woman I know has a profile on these sites. They are free for women and minimal in cost for men. The only problem with a dating site is that anyone can pretend to be anyone and there is no guarantee the person at the other end of the profile is a genuine person or indeed that the photos they send you are not 10 years or 20 kilos ago

By far the most targeted approach is a marriage agency. A good one will have over 100,000 profiles (not necessarilly all in Thailand) of unmarried women looking for genuine husbands. The best in Thailand is www.Thailandwomen.com which is part of the much larger A Foreign Affair group. Search for exactly what you want. I mean exactly and refine the search until you have a lsit of no more than 10 women in your city that you genuinely want to meet. Then just do it. If private messages are allowed on this forum then Private message me and I will help further.

I hope i was of some help on the orginal question. I would welcome feedback Positive or Negative on my post as long as it is constructive.

Have a Nice day

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea where are you from and if you want to marry with someone from your own country or here in Asia. But if you plan to marry your desire girl in Asia I advise you to start looking in Philippines. They are more educated, speak good English, more reliable, do not mind to leave their country and settle down else where. But I do not suggest you to live in Philippines, it is not safe, nothing much to do. I think Pattaya would be best place for you if you are active and want to have both good life with your wife and good contact with other expats. Otherwise if you wish to have a just good marriage life and peaceful place to live I suggest you Phukket and Bali in Indonesia.

Good luck and for heaven sake never buy your wife where ever she is from a house, condo, large bank account etc. The moment they are financially secured no matter where they from can start bulling you.

I have no idea where are you from and if you want to marry with someone from your own country or here in Asia. But if you plan to marry your desire girl in Asia I advise you to start looking in Philippines. They are more educated, speak good English, more reliable, do not mind to leave their country and settle down else where. But I do not suggest you to live in Philippines, it is not safe, nothing much to do. I think Pattaya would be best place for you if you are active and want to have both good life with your wife and good contact with other expats. Otherwise if you wish to have a just good marriage life and peaceful place to live I suggest you Phukket and Bali in Indonesia.

Good luck and for heaven sake never buy your wife where ever she is from a house, condo, large bank account etc. The moment they are financially secured no matter where they from can start bulling you.

"I think Pattaya would be best place for you if you are active and want to have both good life with your wife and good contact with other expats."

You have got to be kidding, surely. Pattaya... a good life with your wife. I must be missing something.

I'd have to say 'don't do it'

I agree. Been through 2 Thai marriages - waste of my time and my money smile.png

(Not saying that decent Thai women don't exist, but you can waste a lot of time sorting out the 'dross')

Now I'm happily divorced and living alone - very happy and financially better off smile.png

Thanks for sharing that. I had recently been thinking along similar lines. So it's good to hear it validated by someone independent from my situation!

ask local married farang their wives are likely to have single/divorced/widowed friends looking to meet someone. and if they are good guys they will have heard all the gossip and steer you away from the lunatics

Or send you to their lunatic sister in law so that their wife stops nagging them about why her poor 40 year old overwight bushpig of an elder sister does not have a rich good hearted naive Farang to pay all all her bills for her

I have had reason to visit a family member in the big hospital in Chiang Mai. (Maharaj). I usually go for a break in the excellent coffee shop there. I think on about 4 occasions I have been sat there, and chatted up (in English) by some very attractive nurses. After a bit of "where are you from" etc chat, they usually float the question if I'm attached/married or not. I say I am, and they look crestfallen. It just strikes me that if I were a free agent, this would be a great place to break new ground. I'm sure within a day, one could fix a date. No problem.

• Like 1

"I think Pattaya would be best place for you if you are active and want to have both good life with your wife and good contact with other expats."

You have got to be kidding, surely. Pattaya... a good life with your wife. I must be missing something.

Find a wife with a job and let her work and stay away from the expats, mostly trsh

go thru friends who already have good relationships. he needs someone he trusts to suggest candidates or vet the ones he meets

I have a great wife, but I am ready to travel again so she will be on the market soon.

This is a joke..... right ?

Dont fall head over heels in love just because she smiles at all your jokes, brings you little bags of food and picks up your dirty clothes from the floor.
These little things can cost you dearly - its default nature for most Thais to do this anyway.
Look for something a little more meaningful and deeper if you are looking for a long term relationship.
If money is part of that deal, i would walk away.
A lot of friends of mine are always complaining they got taken to the bank or wasted years in the wrong relationship because they were confused.

Go to mars you are in the wrong place here or universe, if you want to find a good 1 by a shovel & go to the cemetery but here most of them are barbyqued, but seriously find another planet, just look up ripped off & heart broken , more like bank broken, ive been in Thai over 20 years & i won the pools i have Burmese lady who isnt a sontin lady

It is important to take your time and remember that courtship is best foot forward - - you must see beyond that. Also important is to check out the family. Since it is oft spoken and oft true that we marry the family too, keep both eyes wide open when meeting them.

Introductions through friends are the best way. Learning and knowing something of the culture is very important too. If you want a happy marriage, you need a happy wife and that comes partly of a husband who understands what his wifes concerns in life are…

ie - if her greatest concern is taking care of her parents and you meet them and say I am never going to give them a penny - you will not likely have a happy wife.

There will always be cultural issues on top of normal man/woman issues - be prepared to compromise and accept things that might not seem logical at first - - sometimes there is good logic embedded in Thai logic.

First, figure out what went "wrong" with your relationship (s) back home and why do you think finding a wife here will be stress free and with no problems? It will have its problems but a different kind of problems. But I have Western buddies that are happily married but they are into learning about other cultures, the language, and very easy going -- able to bend when West clashes with the East. If your personality is self-centered, arrogant and must do it "your way", then there will be road blocks in your relationship. Next, when looking for a serious companion meet women that are not the age of a daughter, but age 30 up-they're more mature and will appreciate a good man. Don't expect the beautiful, 20-something bar girl (that can pour on the charm and "I loooov you's") be your best candidate to happiness. Go to clubs on weekend when single women working during the week (beauticians, clerks, business managers, sale clerks ) go with their friends to let off steam (and meet someone). Also local social dating sites on the internet are a good option, but like you and me, they can also lie about their age and background. Do not be desperate and get serious with the first breathing lady that treats you like a king. Force yourself to wait a year or more before u get so trustful twhere you have reached the stage of handing over the credit card and bank account. (I would never do that with a Thai wife; give her an acct of her own with spending money, yes.)

Stay out of the bars, go places to meet normal women; depending upon your age preference;

He's 50 and I'm guessing isn't looking for a 50 year old woman.

Norman women don't date and marry old men (as far as I can see).

I think you are seeing the wrong things. I am considerably older than my wife, and we have been married over 36 years. We had dinner Sunday with a farang-Thai couple who are both teaching colleagues of my wife, he is in his late 40's or early 50's and his wife is 20-something. My neighbor is in his late 40's and his wife is in her 20's--and they are both Thai.

A friend of mine did that and still ended up gettin screwed. I went so far as to warn him from the beginning but he did not want to listen. Sad but true. He was in his fifties too.

Naturally, you can't depend on others to set you up. And, who's to say your friend's long-term relationship is not one of him being a long-term customer. Set your standards and keep looking, think of it as research--it can be fun.