How to use a Squat Toilet correctly.

Liquorice

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am sure those members who are Thaier than Thai will be along shortly to instruct both yourself and your Thai friend in the culturally acceptable procedure when using a squat dunny

be sure to Wai the toilet bowl

all I will add to this thread are the words "bum gun"

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 1

Don't be shy about putting toilet paper down the toilet it will not block the drains.

All buildings here have septic tanks and the less solids that go into the septic tank the better but paper will not hurt as toilet paper now is made to be easily broken down along with other 'deposits', however things like plastic which is a no no and tissues are not so easily dealt with by the septic tanks bacteria.

• Like 1

elliottm, on 04 Nov 2014 - 14:57, said:

May I ask a question about use of the bum gun and how you gargle without using your hand. I've tried the gun and then paper but end up using more having to dry first then clean. Any direction appreciated.

It was tongue in cheek expression. If you hold the bum gun to far away it splashes and has no effect at cleaning. Hold it to close and I feel I'm going to start gargling soon, as I do with the Listerine. (Gargle that is, not wash my backside).

I have one western, one squat toilet at home. I use either to urinate, but only the western to defecate. I take a shower after the latter.

On a trip, I carry a pack of the moistened baby wipes. Cleans without leaving your backside wet through or feeling chapped.

krisb, on 04 Nov 2014 - 14:42, said:

I feel a little sick after that.

I have a real issue with public toilet door handles.

krisp, you've just found the answer as to where to hang your trousers.

Seriously your lucky to find handles or locks on most of the public cubicles.

If you have an issue with these handles why not carry a pair of the disposable surgical gloves. lightweight and easily fit in your pocket.

CharlieH, on 04 Nov 2014 - 15:13, said:

Your first instinct was right, Toilet humour or otherwise belongs in the Pub.

MOVED

Charlie, It's a serious topic, but written tongue in cheek as it's not a particularly nice issue to discuss. But we all have to use em!

I've come over all flushed now. wai2.gif

draftvader, on 04 Nov 2014 - 14:57, said:

It took me a while to get them right on first getting into Asia. However enough time travelling on long train and bus journeys through China taught me everything I need to know. Yes, pockets aren't good. You should always try to wear pockets with a button, better are trouser leg pockets like you find in cargo trousers. I personally put them round my ankles then hold them forward with one hand whilst doing my business. The real trick is the squat type. The correct squat type is the one you see every day in Thailand where you sit on your heels. This way EVERYTHING is below the trousers so no chances of slippage. The hand being forward holding the trousers also helps as that provides balance in this situation. The standard Asian eating/cleaning/don't want to stand squat is the one you want.

Washing your behind is quite personal. I prefer the bum gun to the mandi but either is good really.

Think about this.

Western toilet

Urine on seat, bits dangling too low find water, splashing dirty water when poo-ing and then smearing faeces around with paper

Squat toilet

No seat, your shoes stop you touching anything left over, everybody washes it down anyway. Bits dangle as low as they want as it is easy to control height. No splashing dirty water and then you get to clean off your bum properly. Would you swap your shower for a roll of toilet tissue?

As a final point there are health benefits. The Western toilet puts a strain on the muscles in the colon causing piles whereas the squat toilet allows nature and gravity to do its bit. Most importantly think of this squat toilet users squat every day of their lives 2-3 times so by the time they are 80 they are more likely to be able to still do this. A small side effect but you've all seen K Yai squatting happily for hours cooking dinner or eating....mostly eating!

Sadly I have 3 Western toilets in my house (Hi-So landlady...lovely bird....don't let her hear me saying that!). I would love to have 1 Western and 1 Squat to give me the choice.

Thanks for your serious answer draftvader.

I still question whether one should remove one's trousers completely.

Usually someone before you has washed down with the pan and the floor becomes soaked.

My first experience, the bottoms of my shorts got wet through which is rather embarrassing. I nearly lost my balance and ended up down the toilet trying to keep my shorts pulled forward.

Second experience, I managed a little better, but then my wallet fell out of my back pocket straight into the bowl. Talk about handling dirty money..ugh!

Since then, I've totally removed shorts/trousers but unless there is a hook available, then where do you put them.

Since then, I've totally removed shorts/trousers but unless there is a hook available, then where do you put them.

Most places in CM now have western toilets but I would caution your using the hook on the door

to hang your pants even if there is one.

A few years back there were a few robberies...

where guy go into the bathroom reach over the top & snatch folks hanging pants

I guess they were pretty sure none were going to give much of a chase wink.png

mania, on 04 Nov 2014 - 15:50, said:
Faz, on 04 Nov 2014 - 15:41, said:

Most places in CM now have western toilets but I would caution your using the hook on the door

to hang your pants even if there is one.

A few years back there were a few robberies...

where guy go into the bathroom reach over the top & snatch folks hanging pants

I guess they were pretty sure none were going to give much of a chase wink.png

Western toilets tend to have little or no water on the floor because of the internal flushing method, so no need to completey remove anything.

The problem with the squat toilet is that their flushed scooping water out of a bowl with a pan, which usually leaves everything soaking wet.

I once removed my shoes, but after a hip hop disco routine to stay on my feet, I never removed them again.

Western toilets tend to have little or no water on the floor because of the internal flushing method, so no need to completey remove anything.

The problem with the squat toilet is that their flushed scooping water out of a bowl with a pan, which usually leaves everything soaking wet.

I once removed my shoes, but after a hip hop disco routine to stay on my feet, I never removed them again.

Oh I have much experience with squat toilets wink.png

I was just cautioning against hanging your pants on the door hook smile.png

• Like 1

Not always is Google your friend ... but on this occasion,

how-to-use-a-squat-toilet5.jpg

from the esteemed Chiang Mai rock climbing Adventures ... how-to-use-a-squat-toilet

could not get in that position if i tried.........

+ the only time I tried was back in 1999, 15 hours on a train to C.M when you have to go there is no other option

Edited by ignis

ignis, on 04 Nov 2014 - 16:06, said:
David48, on 04 Nov 2014 - 15:08, said:

Not always is Google your friend ... but on this occasion,

how-to-use-a-squat-toilet5.jpg

from the esteemed Chiang Mai rock climbing Adventures ... how-to-use-a-squat-toilet

could not get in that position if i tried.........

+ the only time I tried was back in 1999, 15 hours on a train to C.M when you have to go there is no other option

I couldn't get up from that position, even if I managed to get down.

May I ask a question about use of the bum gun and how you gargle without using your hand. I've tried the gun and then paper but end up using more having to dry first then clean. Any direction appreciated.

It was tongue in cheek expression. If you hold the bum gun to far away it splashes and has no effect at cleaning. Hold it to close and I feel I'm going to start gargling soon, as I do with the Listerine. (Gargle that is, not wash my backside).

I have one western, one squat toilet at home. I use either to urinate, but only the western to defecate. I take a shower after the latter.

On a trip, I carry a pack of the moistened baby wipes. Cleans without leaving your backside wet through or feeling chapped.

Thanks Faz, do you manage to clean with the gun entirely without using your hand?

I am sure those members who are Thaier than Thai will be along shortly to instruct both yourself and your Thai friend in the culturally acceptable procedure when using a squat dunny

be sure to Wai the toilet bowl

all I will add to this thread are the words "bum gun"

Wai the toilet bowl.....nice. 55555

Thanks Faz, do you manage to clean with the gun entirely without using your hand?

Surely that depends on the pressure of the water.

Some nearly blast the hemorrhoids away while others hardly have enough pressure to wet the bum. Tip: Always check the pressure first!

• Like 1

draftvader, on 04 Nov 2014 - 14:57, said:

It took me a while to get them right on first getting into Asia. However enough time travelling on long train and bus journeys through China taught me everything I need to know. Yes, pockets aren't good. You should always try to wear pockets with a button, better are trouser leg pockets like you find in cargo trousers. I personally put them round my ankles then hold them forward with one hand whilst doing my business. The real trick is the squat type. The correct squat type is the one you see every day in Thailand where you sit on your heels. This way EVERYTHING is below the trousers so no chances of slippage. The hand being forward holding the trousers also helps as that provides balance in this situation. The standard Asian eating/cleaning/don't want to stand squat is the one you want.

Washing your behind is quite personal. I prefer the bum gun to the mandi but either is good really.

Think about this.

Western toilet

Urine on seat, bits dangling too low find water, splashing dirty water when poo-ing and then smearing faeces around with paper

Squat toilet

No seat, your shoes stop you touching anything left over, everybody washes it down anyway. Bits dangle as low as they want as it is easy to control height. No splashing dirty water and then you get to clean off your bum properly. Would you swap your shower for a roll of toilet tissue?

As a final point there are health benefits. The Western toilet puts a strain on the muscles in the colon causing piles whereas the squat toilet allows nature and gravity to do its bit. Most importantly think of this squat toilet users squat every day of their lives 2-3 times so by the time they are 80 they are more likely to be able to still do this. A small side effect but you've all seen K Yai squatting happily for hours cooking dinner or eating....mostly eating!

Sadly I have 3 Western toilets in my house (Hi-So landlady...lovely bird....don't let her hear me saying that!). I would love to have 1 Western and 1 Squat to give me the choice.

Thanks for your serious answer draftvader.

I still question whether one should remove one's trousers completely.

Usually someone before you has washed down with the pan and the floor becomes soaked.

My first experience, the bottoms of my shorts got wet through which is rather embarrassing. I nearly lost my balance and ended up down the toilet trying to keep my shorts pulled forward.

Second experience, I managed a little better, but then my wallet fell out of my back pocket straight into the bowl. Talk about handling dirty money..ugh!

Sorry, I am sitting here with my wife and we a are roaring laughing at the opening post and this one and a few other beauties.

I take my kit off, I place it between my stomache and legs, I don't need to hold it, it just balances there, it's caught/wedged there. Does that help or make sense, to answer your question ? If you have a big set of bludging guts there's probably little or no room for that. Loose change, mobile phones, pocket stuff is secured by rolling my kit and placing it in the 'void' of space....if that makes sense.

Interestingly, having known my wife for many years and never had having this discussion, it turns out we both do the same thing.

I thought it was the obvious thing to do.....I've done it since I was a kid..... I am sure there are dozens of other options. You could balance ur kit on ur head ;)

Thanks for the laugh.

That seems like quite a lot of work but I'll probably curse saying that when I'm fishing something out of my trousers in the future.

i used one for 6 months at the inlaws when we lived with them,

i soon found out i wasnt a very good shot with my ass,

i couldnt for the life of me put my feet were they should of been and hit the hole,

i had my own marks on the floor for my feet,,

same for the bucket and chucket shower, god it used to nearly kill me it was bloody freezing,,

wow the good old days,,lol

• Like 1